Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 02:35:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227824 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Auditioning for bands
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Auditioning for bands  (Read 3167 times)
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« on: July 06, 2004, 04:28:57 AM »

ok, i just bought a decent amp thats capable of gigging jamming etc. (yes a marshall mg 100 dfx, ooooooooo i can hear all you owners of jcm's and tsl's cringe  hihi)

in a while im thinking about auditioning for bands and answering ads in magazines etc.

but i think this will be very hard because

1) i've had no live experience. why would a band hire a guitarist with no live experience? it just seems like i won't even be given a chance. I gotta get into a band to get some gigs and have some live experience, but bands always want guitarists with live experience.......so its just a circle of crap.

2)I dunno about you, but when i first pick up the guitar in the morning, i'm a bit unco. It takes me a good hour or so to start getting on fire and playin some awesome licks and for me to be at my best. At an audition i'll play like crap to begin with, which isn't too good because.......

3)I only picked up guitar 8 months ago, the band will think "this guy hasn't been playing long, he's crap, this is a waste of time" and i'll get the flick before i even get to show how good i am.

Anyway, have any of you ever auditioned or answered an ad in a paper etc. Got any tips?

and also, are there any of you that are on the opposite end of the spectrum, who have put out ads and decide whether a guitarist is good for you etc, any advice?

as soon as i find an ad that attracts me and is suitable for me i'll see how i go. I'll either end up completely embarrased and a loss of all confidence, or actually have fun and start writing songs.
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 04:16:28 PM »

You could always warm up before you go to the audition.

About live experience...have you ever played with a drummer and another guitarist or a bassist?  This may sound like a stupid question, but it's surprisingly difficult the first time you get together to get it sounding half decent.  Half the time you may have trouble even hearing yourself.

If you turn up, and play, and play with them and it works well, I don't think it'll matter if you've got live experience or not.

And if you don't tell them how long you've been playing, then they won't think you're crap immediately.  Or alternatively tell them after you've shown them what you can do, then they'll just be impressed.

Good luck anyway!

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 11:39:19 PM »

About live experience...have you ever played with a drummer and another guitarist or a bassist?  This may sound like a stupid question, but it's surprisingly difficult the first time you get together to get it sounding half decent.  Half the time you may have trouble even hearing yourself.

i play occasionally with a jam band, tried to make it a proper band but it just wasn't working out due to musical differences. We don't jam as often as we do but when we were trying to make it a proper band we jammed often. This was with friends though. So i've played with drums/bass/another guitarist etc. I actually love playing with drums i pull out some of my best riffs by just improvising over drumbeats. I think of stuff that i would never think of without drums bass rhythm guitar etc.

but i imagine playing infront of an audience is a completely different thing, you would be way more nervous for the first time etc. i dunno i guess i just gotta practice so much so that when i'm playing at my worst its still awesome.......hmmmmm may take a while.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 02:12:07 AM »

i always hated guitarist that look at their fretboards

its cool while soloing but if u are just playin power chord riffs or just chords its Gay if a dude is on stage starin at the fretboard

be original try to bring something different than other guitarists, really stand out!

if u love playin over drum beats u need to get u a good drum machine, that shit really helps playin in time etc etc

like Miz said warm up real good b4 u go to the audition

u either get it or dont, but every time u audition u are gaining valuable experience

it is wild playing in front of people

i know id rather play in front of a thousand than have 4 or 5 starin at u

just keep practicing, shit 8 months is amazing, and u will land something proper

and if u get the flick which im sure it happens to everyone, stay positive dust yourself off and keep tryin out!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
St.heathen
VIP

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 07:17:35 PM »

i always hated guitarist that look at their fretboards

its cool while soloing but if u are just playin power chord riffs or just chords its Gay if a dude is on stage starin at the fretboard

be original try to bring something different than other guitarists, really stand out!

if u love playin over drum beats u need to get u a good drum machine, that shit really helps playin in time etc etc

like Miz said warm up real good b4 u go to the audition

u either get it or dont, but every time u audition u are gaining valuable experience

it is wild playing in front of people

i know id rather play in front of a thousand than have 4 or 5 starin at u

just keep practicing, shit 8 months is amazing, and u will land something proper

and if u get the flick which im sure it happens to everyone, stay positive dust yourself off and keep tryin out!

I get what your saying with the fret-board staring comment to an extent it's true.  But i dunno - some bands look so contrived these days bouncing around on stage to nu-punk or what ever they call it.  It looks cheesy you know?  

I'd rather listen to goods songs played well, than to see someone bouncing on the spot lol

But as you did rightly say, when you do see originality and there's passion in the performance. It is a great thing if you can pull it off.

It's a mass of confusion like the lies they sell to you !
spiderman
Rocker

i can feel my spider sense....

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 01:22:47 PM »

theres bound to be lots of people in the same boat as you oddy. ever considered putting up your own ad saying something like "ive been playing guitar for 8 months, seek people in similar position for jamming and possibly a band...ect" you know radiohead formed before any of them could really play and sort of learned there instruments together. also if you do audition for a band and get turned down dont take it to heat just consider it valueable experience. you dont live in the uk do ya? id jam with you and show you a few things dude.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 01:49:39 PM »

Well, if all else fails, you can always... lie. Wink
spiderman
Rocker

i can feel my spider sense....

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2004, 01:53:49 PM »

Well, if all else fails, you can always... lie. Wink

yeah, ive been playing for 10 years and havent got any live experience. if i auditions id just blag em that i was once in a band in another part of the country a few years back. hihi
saul_clark
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2004, 07:23:41 PM »

about warming up for guitar -  it can be done very quickly if you are focused.
1/ wrap a rubber band around your fingers at the tips and stretch it - this will get your finger muscles stretched properly.
2/this will sound silly,but, close your eyes and imagine you are playing with the worst backing band in the world with everyone except yourself playing crap - this will will really help u play with swagger.
3/dont worry, be excited, adrenaline will make u play better than u ever dreamed!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: