Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:46:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The demise of Rock
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The demise of Rock  (Read 29888 times)
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2004, 03:09:22 PM »

I like 70's rock. I downloaded a monster magnet album powertrip, i love it, when i find some money i'll buy it. I learnt of them from this site.
Great to know the Monster Magnet word keeps on spreading.  

is their newest album monolithic baby(i think?) better than powertrip? i dont wanna seem like a bastard downloading their powertrip album and not buying it, but money is real tight.......i'm thinking of just getting monolithic baby.

I would say Powertrip is better but only just most reviews think Monolithic Baby! is the best album to date, if you want psychadelic Hawkwind style rock go for Spine of God or if you really love Powertrip i would pick that over Monolithic Baby! fact is you can't go wrong with either though if you love Powertrip then Monolithic Baby! is the album most like it.  But for a more chilled psychadelic thing anything from Tab...25, Spine of God or Superjudge [they cover Hawkwind's Brainstorm] will do while Dopes To Infinity is like a cross between the 2 whereas God Says No is probably their weakest overall album and should be bought last they also have a good slef titled EP available.  So much stuff and all worth having but in conclusion my advice is start with Powertrip ok

P.S. If i was you i would download both and make my own decision
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2004, 03:58:50 PM »

and did you ever think the darkness are selling because people actually like 70's rock. not because the media says so or anything, but they actually like the style the song structure the solos etc.
Yeah, but it's obviously not just that.  I mean did you see a huge increase in interest in Zep, Queen or AC/DC last year?  No.  Because they just market the Darkness as The Darkness.  And kids just buy the Darkness.  If you went to a Darkness gig, you'd probably see 2% of the people there were old and hairy, maybe 5% actually owned an album by a AC/DC and the rest were kids without a clue.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 04:00:03 PM by Miz » Logged

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
axls_locomotive
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2004, 04:10:31 PM »

Another point about rock. Since day one, it's been loud, and mostly good fun. And always parents despised it. Now half the rock songs on the radio can be liked by elders. That is not fucking right. And you know that everyone here, has a Granny that thinks Muse are "Lovely young men". There's no balls. We need it fast, loose, hard, heavy, yet beautiful. To be honest I do find enough bands to satisfy my craving, but I'd like more people to like what I do, then I could act all elitist and say "I liked them when they were nothing, you're not a tr00 fan like me, fuck you batman, fuck you."

Sounds far more like a punk attitude than a rock and roll attitude

its also a fallacy that older people dont like current music, the people who grew up listening to sabbath, zeppelin, aerosmith and many other good rock bands would be in the 50's now...and there isnt anything wrong with those bands

the wildhearts are a good rock band but lets face it theyre not exactly producing anything new

I think Izzy is right, there is plenty of interest in rock. But it's piss rock. Stuff that girls and my granny listen to. Real balls to the wall rock n' roll is being shunned for medicore groups like Muse. Bollocks it is. No more charatcers in rock? Yes there fucking is, of course there is, you'll just never see it on TV.

so how do you define balls to the wall rock? you mean it has to be more offensive?  ive heard bands sing about mutilations, rape, and killing...is that not enough?...and you wonder why these kind of bands arent popular...the answers damn obvious dont you think? id rather listen to a band that rocks singing about current issues than listen to offensive crap like that
Chris Misfit
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2004, 05:40:24 PM »

so how do you define balls to the wall rock? you mean it has to be more offensive?  ive heard bands sing about mutilations, rape, and killing...is that not enough?...and you wonder why these kind of bands arent popular...the answers damn obvious dont you think? id rather listen to a band that rocks singing about current issues than listen to offensive crap like that

Not more offensive, are you six?

I'm talking about BALLS, good strong riffs, solos, attitude. Not a fucking college prick standing on stage singing about tulips, and boring the crowd to death with Radiohead B-side songs.

axls_locomotive
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2004, 02:47:54 PM »

Not more offensive, are you six?

nope I'm not Nicky, my name is Axl  yes
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2004, 12:10:08 AM »

Also rock bands make a single, maybe two singles and fill in their album, so after the first single has run its course there is nothing left to push out as a single.  Look at Audioslave they have gotten 5 singles off their last album. Not many rock bands get past their second single. 10 years ago you would see this, nowadays...

It's one single, and you're done.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2004, 02:48:17 AM »

-- 1  ASHLEE SIMPSON GEFFEN 407,950 -- First week sales debut.

That depresses me and proves how much more a created girly fronted band without anything prior and be crafted to sell big.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2004, 05:03:08 PM »

-- 1? ASHLEE SIMPSON GEFFEN 407,950 -- First week sales debut.

That depresses me and proves how much more a created girly fronted band without anything prior and be crafted to sell big.

Isn't that Jessica Simpsons sister?  So basically, TV sold these records.

The world sucks.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2004, 01:26:11 AM »

-- 1? ASHLEE SIMPSON GEFFEN 407,950 -- First week sales debut.

Isn't that Jessica Simpsons sister?? So basically, TV sold these records.

The world sucks.
Yes its her little sister with black hair and she has a "band" her debut has debuted better then anything her sister has released.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2004, 01:29:34 AM »

I was thinking (tick-tock) about why rock music is not selling anymore, well, I always think about it, but I've given some thought to another reason as to why it's in a shit state.

Pop culture.

Yeah, I've said that before, but lets start a serious discussion. Hopefully we can keep people like ?Matt (Blink rule, duuur) and Sky (when I'm proved wrong, I run) out of the conversation.

Are we too concerened with our looks? Has what looks good, taken over musical substance? ?As Korn said "you'll never get signed unless teenage girls find you attractive".

Looking back Axl was fucking ugly, so was Kiss, Alice Cooper, Iggy Pop, Freedie Mercury, Ozzy, Metallica. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest.

I'm not just talking about looks, ok? And I don't want any girls posting "Axl is a hunk" because if he wasn't famous and you passed him in the street, you wouldn't give him a second look.

What I'm asking is, do you think pop culture has forced it's way into rock n' roll?

You've got to look rock, before you are rock. We've got desinger rock gear now, all created for those who want to fit in.

Hopw many people do you see now, look alternative, but own no CDs and don't have a fucking clue about rock music ?(and saying that, there only seems to be maybe 5 people here who have a clue).

Some of this rock gear costs shitloads, new rock boots, designer t-shirts, ?50 baseball caps, designer jeans. I have no problem with people who want to be stylish, but ?those pretending to be something they're not, piss me off.

Whatever happened to a t-shirt and a 2 year old pair of crap jeans bought from oxfam?

I remember meeting people, when I was young, who looked like rockers, who I could have a serious musical discussion with, because WE BOTH BELIEVED IN ROCK N' ROLL. Now we have too many fakers, too many 5 minute wonders, who care more for their looks than the muisc.

Discuss.

I was thinking this today, while by some strange chance, VH1 actually was playing videos. I wondered if there were any ugly talented people I could see again one day. Seriously though. I mean, MTV was great in the begining, but they really did ruin the industry too, because everybody had to be perfect looking. It's the same way with TV shows, almost everybody has to be perfect looking. It gets so old.

The title of the first video played by MTV really predicted the future to a T.
Chris Misfit
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2004, 03:52:28 AM »

I'll be thruthful here. Y'know since I've been on the net, and in real life, aside from bands, I've met/spoke to maybe 5 people who like the bands i do. When I joined here, I thought for sure there'd be people who are open minded regarding music, but I found the opposite, and to be honest I probably came across as a cunt trying to force the bands I like on people (that being said I never tried to get anyone into Anal Cunt, I always tried a band I'd thought they'd like)(and that being said I never tried to push bands on anyone who didn't say "Music is shit now")

So no more. I can't be assed. I will continue the good fight via my personal life. I couldn't be bothered with the whole it's gotta be big, girly and downright 1987 attitude.

"All I see are little MTV babies, playing their little MTV games"

Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2004, 06:28:31 AM »

I'll be thruthful here. Y'know since I've been on the net, and in real life, aside from bands, I've met/spoke to maybe 5 people who like the bands i do. When I joined here, I thought for sure there'd be people who are open minded regarding music, but I found the opposite, and to be honest I probably came across as a cunt trying to force the bands I like on people (that being said I never tried to get anyone into Anal Cunt, I always tried a band I'd thought they'd like)(and that being said I never tried to push bands on anyone who didn't say "Music is shit now")

So no more. I can't be assed. I will continue the good fight via my personal life. I couldn't be bothered with the whole it's gotta be big, girly and downright 1987 attitude.

"All I see are little MTV babies, playing their little MTV games"

ah thats too bad. im addicted to monster magnet and the wildhearts because of this board. And remember i think when people were saying that music was shit, i think they meant popular music ie everything on tv and radio. Well thats what i meant i can't speak for everyone, but they'd compare the popular music of today to the popular music of the 70's like ACDC or the Stones etc and think we've gone downhill. Ofcourse i know there must be some bands out there that i like.........but now its just a lot harder to find them.

and...........yes you did come off as a cunt hehehehehehhe rofl? smoking
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2004, 01:21:01 PM »

[I was thinking this today, while by some strange chance, VH1 actually was playing videos. I wondered if there were any ugly talented people I could see again one day. Seriously though. I mean, MTV was great in the begining, but they really did ruin the industry too, because everybody had to be perfect looking. It's the same way with TV shows, almost everybody has to be perfect looking. It gets so old.

Video Killed the Radio Star? Is that the first video?

Well if MTV got rid of REAL WORLD, ROAD RULES, PUNK'd, Vive le Bam, ect (not saying cancel them but put them on another station.
And if VH1 got rid of A-Z celebrity, Best Week Ever, I love the ....(everythign under the sun)

Both these stations could play alot more music shows, Like Headbangers ball, Music Videos, BTM's, Concerts, and what not so people could see something besides whats on TRL. I only have MTV and VH1 and I have to wait like til 4 am to catch some videos on VH!.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
VolcomStone
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2004, 03:19:15 PM »

The problem with MTV and popular FM radio is that these stations only play music that is supported by loads of cash.  You have to pay big bucks to be exposed on these formats.  Record companies these days are also only looking to sell a certain product to the masses.  It's not about the music so much as what the people will purchase.  So if you want to hear some good rock music that hasn't already been popularly exposed, go to local rock shows, find out what musicians you like are listening to, and listen to XM radio.  XM radio stations have a couple Top 40 and Hits stations set aside to play whats popular right now, but the majority of the stations, including Boneyard (older hard rock, including GN'R), Deep Tracks (classic rock), Liquid Metal (modern metal), XMU (underground college rock and alternative), Fred (70s and 80s alternative, punk, and grunge), XM Cafe (mellow alternative), Top Tracks (big cuts from the 60s, 70s, and 80s), Ethel (modern alternative rock), Squizz (post-grunge metal-rap-funk fusion), Fine Tuning (classical, jazz, and rock melded together), The Loft (lyric-based soft rock), XM Music Lab (progressive rock, jazz fusion, and jam bands), Unsigned (unknown rock bands unsigned to major record labels), Fungus (punk fock, ska, industrial, surf and other DIY styles), Lucy (the most important and well known songs in alternative rock).

So there is your listing of a few XM radio channels, and those are just the rock stations.  There are many more that delve into the genres of blues, jazz, world, hip-hop, country, and more.  So go ahead and subscribe to XM radio now.

If you wake up at a different time, in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2004, 03:50:44 PM »

its also a fallacy that older people dont like current music, the people who grew up listening to sabbath, zeppelin, aerosmith and many other good rock bands would be in the 50's now...and there isnt anything wrong with those bands

Actually I think the average age of a Sab, Zepp, Aero fan would be about 44. ok
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 03:52:22 PM by Gunner80 » Logged

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Layne420
Rocker

« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2004, 12:12:30 AM »

Rock isn't dead, I'm open to most music except for rap but anway here's some of my factors

Clearchannel (Nothing do with Axl)
Vitcom (horribly reality shows)
Music trends
Nu metal (gets old quick)
Internet (Yeah motherfuckers need to stop download only hit songs and open up to listening to non hit songs)
Record labels (just keeping doing same thing not looking to take a risk)
Pop shit (ALways will come back but where at the new kids on the blocK ?)

As Chuck Berry once said 50 percent of rock is roll is basic on trends.

When there's no more water left
And no more air in our breath
What will this earth be worth?
Do you want war or peace?
Blood for oil greed
Won't feed, won't the hunger our need

FLOW
SLCPUNK
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2004, 12:27:21 PM »

[I was thinking this today, while by some strange chance, VH1 actually was playing videos. I wondered if there were any ugly talented people I could see again one day. Seriously though. I mean, MTV was great in the begining, but they really did ruin the industry too, because everybody had to be perfect looking. It's the same way with TV shows, almost everybody has to be perfect looking. It gets so old.

Video Killed the Radio Star? Is that the first video?

Well if MTV got rid of REAL WORLD, ROAD RULES, PUNK'd, Vive le Bam, ect (not saying cancel them but put them on another station.
And if VH1 got rid of A-Z celebrity, Best Week Ever, I love the ....(everythign under the sun)

Both these stations could play alot more music shows, Like Headbangers ball, Music Videos, BTM's, Concerts, and what not so people could see something besides whats on TRL. I only have MTV and VH1 and I have to wait like til 4 am to catch some videos on VH!.

Right. I mean, right now on VH1 (maybe it's mtv) it is a show about Hulk Hogans daughter going into the music biz. Look, I don't give a shit about that. I want to see different music formats (in video) and watch that. I don't care about a bunch of stupid reality shows where stupid 20 yr olds are desperately trying to hump one another. The should not even call it music television anymore if they only play videos maybe 10% of the time.

Video did kill the radio star. But you can thank corporate attitudes for ruining MTV a long time ago. That is a major player in it's demise, and the demise of music as a whole. I read an article about a company that researched the beats and tones of number one hits through the years. They found a certain (at least they thought they did) underlying beat, tone, or whatever and say they will try to incorporate that in their songs they produce. (Sorry but I can't remember the exact details.) But you get my point. It was a group of bean counters sitting around trying to figure out what has made something number one before, and COPY it. What is inspirational about that? Creative? Hardly. That is not music, but that is what we are being told music is. A damn shame. But we do have the most powerful tool (well two of them) to find real music and artists out there: Our brain, and the internet.
Chris Misfit
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2004, 03:31:38 PM »

^ And most people don't don't. They sit on their fat asses saying things like "AXl RoSe iS gOd!!1111111111EHHHARRRFFAFFAFADFAF!!!111" or my favourite "VaN hAlEn WeRE ThE lAsT TR00 Rcokk BnaD Rkcoockl!!!!"

It's fucking stupid, and I'm fucking sick of it. Most of you in this thread are sitting agreeing with what I'm saying, but yet none of you have bought a CD that has been released this century. The majority don't want rock n' roll, they want someone to look up to, a hero...........so they can sit all day on messageboards talking about his hair, his girlfriend, what type of condom he uses. You don't want rock, you want a Robbie Williams that is more of a rebel, to hold him, to cuddle him, and to wank over.

^ Most of you say this is untrue. But ask yourself how many bands you listen to that the frontman of, isn't built up by the media, to be a star. You want pop. Go listen to fucking Ramsus.

There's probably more Madonna fans here than there is of real rock.

I've said my last (although my last was my last) in this thread. It's a pile of balls, and was absolutely stupid of me to think I could get an honest response from anyone.

I've had it with this section, you fucking 5 minute wonders can haver it. Fill it with Limp Bizkit and Van Halen. Fuck you.
Aava
Everything changes
VIP

If you wanna do it, baby, you can do it right

« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2004, 05:10:43 PM »

What are today's rock bands? Nerdy idiots like Linkin Park,Blink 182 or Good Charlote,bands with no real skill or musical knowlege.

I'm surprised more GnR fans don't listen to bands like EF, Dog Toffee, Hellacopters, Backyard Babies, Wildhearts, Silver, Turbonegro ect ..... because these are the bands that GnR influenced, and you can hear it in their sound.

I don?t have much to add, but those bands Chris mentioned are from Europe. Backyard Babies, Hellacopters and Turbonegro are very popular and well known in all over the Scandinavia.

You gonna crush me, but I think there?s differences between europeans and americans. Mostly people (not everyone) here, whining about todays music, are from US.. Those bands above are great rock n? roll. Rock n?roll, that you guys said is dead.

Maybe it is harder to find new rock bands in US? I don?t know.

not everyone searches for underground bands or bands that aren't shown on mtv or other music channels. i was speaking generally. a lot of people don't know the underground or local rock scene.

But they still keep whining, that rock is dead. Or todays rock n?roll is Linkin Park, Blink 182 and Good Charlotte..

We're on the one road
Maybe the wrong road
It's the road to fuck knows where
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2004, 05:24:34 PM »

Mark Lanegan's new album is gonna be out tomorrow in Europe. The week after in USA.

There's some rock n' roll for you.  ok

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: