Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:07:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Official Rolling Stones Thread
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Official Rolling Stones Thread  (Read 133683 times)
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #300 on: February 27, 2008, 04:09:19 PM »

Listened to Beggars Banquet a number of times recently, such a fucking great album. I havent heard any other Rolling Stones albums that are as awesome as this yet where every track is great from start to finish. Any recommendations?

ive also heard Goats Head Soup, and Voodoo Lounge (i think thats what its called) and god knows how many other greatest hits compilations (which have some great songs on)

Let it bleed and sticky fingers. Those 2, along with BB, are the stones big three. I don't know if any 3 album output by any artist (besides GnR) could match up to those. I love the stones but nothing they ever did came anywhere near being as amazing as those 3 albums. And all 3 can be listened to from start to finish without wanting to skip a second.

Awesome ill definately be getting my hands on those albums then. Are they similar in styles, like that slide acoustic blues or are they electric?

They're different styles, same amazing era of songwriting for them tho.

Let it bleed and sticky fingers. Those 2, along with BB, are the stones big three. I don't know if any 3 album output by any artist (besides GnR) could match up to those. I love the stones but nothing they ever did came anywhere near being as amazing as those 3 albums.

Exile on Main Street.

Exile actually has some of my favorite stones songs ever on it, "rocks off" being my favorite stones songs ever. However overall it's not as solid to me as the other 3. I think the original post said something about listening to BB straight through, I always skip tracks on EOMS.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #301 on: February 27, 2008, 05:05:15 PM »

"Exile on Main Street" must be heard on vinyl smoking

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #302 on: February 27, 2008, 05:47:39 PM »

Like Mick said, Exile's mix is bad. I think the same, they really should go back and remix and remaster the album.

I have most of the Stones catalog and it's all great. Some albums are better than others of course.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #303 on: February 27, 2008, 07:32:35 PM »

ok i gave those albums a blast earlier.

Didnt dig them as much as BB, i liked Let It Bleed the most, out of that and Stick Fingers, Sticky Fingers started off good but i lost interest a bit as it went on.

I also found out a late 70s album By The Stones called Black N Blue which im enjoying alot so far!

html sucks
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #304 on: February 27, 2008, 07:51:05 PM »

Didnt dig them as much as BB, i liked Let It Bleed the most, out of that and Stick Fingers, Sticky Fingers started off good but i lost interest a bit as it went on.

Trust me, it will grow on you.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #305 on: February 28, 2008, 08:43:34 AM »

Trust me, it will grow on you.

okies ill give it a few more spins.

However i must say i strongly enjoyed the Black N Blue album, good funky stones.

html sucks
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #306 on: February 28, 2008, 09:41:59 AM »

I also found out a late 70s album By The Stones called Black N Blue which im enjoying alot so far!

It was the mid 70s. Memory Motel is probably the song that got me into the Stones. Cherry Oh Baby introduced many people to reggae for the first time.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #307 on: February 28, 2008, 05:40:39 PM »

It was the mid 70s. Memory Motel is probably the song that got me into the Stones. Cherry Oh Baby introduced many people to reggae for the first time.
Black N' Blue is timeless. I adore Memory Motel, I've probably listened to this song 300 times.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #308 on: March 02, 2008, 08:55:56 PM »

Like Mick said, Exile's mix is bad. I think the same, they really should go back and remix and remaster the album.

I have most of the Stones catalog and it's all great. Some albums are better than others of course.

but even the "worse" albums are pretty damn good. I made the mistake of thinking they put out nothing good after Some Girls in 1978. Then I got the albums of the 1980s and 1990s and damn, there is some really good stuff here. I hope the Stones keep touring and rocking for many more years!!

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #309 on: March 02, 2008, 09:00:03 PM »

Yeah man, Voodoo Lounge and A Bigger Bang are excellent albums!
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #310 on: March 02, 2008, 09:30:06 PM »

but even the "worse" albums are pretty damn good. I made the mistake of thinking they put out nothing good after Some Girls in 1978. Then I got the albums of the 1980s and 1990s and damn, there is some really good stuff here. I hope the Stones keep touring and rocking for many more years!!

The stones are one of my favorite bands ever but I gotta disagree with you. The eighties were rough for them, besides Tattoo You which was mostly recorded in the 70's. Only song of theirs from the 80's I really love is "She's so Cold". They came back strong with Voodoo lounge tho, and A bigger Bang is amazing.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #311 on: March 02, 2008, 09:40:55 PM »

The stones are one of my favorite bands ever but I gotta disagree with you. The eighties were rough for them, besides Tattoo You which was mostly recorded in the 70's. Only song of theirs from the 80's I really love is "She's so Cold". They came back strong with Voodoo lounge tho, and A bigger Bang is amazing.

Yeah steel wheels wasn't their best effort although its still the album that got me into the band. I don't think bridges to babylon was that great either.
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #312 on: March 02, 2008, 09:44:26 PM »

I have to agree with W Izzy. After Black and Blue, it seemed like they were going after a commercial market. There is some hits and misses in there, but their flirtation with Disco really turned me off.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #313 on: March 02, 2008, 10:12:49 PM »

Greatest span was the Mick Taylor years, but I love all of the stones' eras!!!!  Let It Bleed was awesome as well.  and Get Yer Ya Ya's was fucking brilliant and that when Mick Taylor made his mark.  The stones during Sticky Fingers were only a notch below Led Zep from being a hard rock band.  Yes, it was rock, but you could tell they were close to being on another level they had never been too.  Mick's voice was just awesome and way Keith and Mick played with each other was awesome.  "Can't you hear me knockin" WOW!!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #314 on: March 02, 2008, 11:56:03 PM »

Sticky Fingers one of the greatest albums ever made hands down.
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #315 on: March 03, 2008, 12:44:25 AM »

I'm not surprised, but how's this for bizarre? 

BBC: Hell's Angels sought to kill Jagger

03/02/2008 6:00 PM, AP

Rolling Stones singer Mick Jagger escaped an assassination plot hatched in 1969 by the Hells Angels, a new British Broadcasting Corp. documentary has claimed.

A program to be broadcast on BBC Radio 4 on Monday says the rock star was the target of the plot following a purported dispute with the motorcycle gang over concert security.

Jagger had vowed not to use Hells Angel members as bouncers following the death in December 1969 of an 18-year-old fan at a notorious free performance at Altamont Speedway in Northern California.

In return, gang members hatched a plan to kill Jagger at his holiday home in Long Island, New York, the BBC claimed.

"The Hells Angels were so angered by Jagger's treatment of them that they decided to kill him," Tom Mangold, the presenter of the program, was quoted as telling Britain's Sunday Telegraph newspaper.

He said the plan was disclosed during an interview with Mark Young, a former FBI officer, for the BBC's "The FBI at 100" documentary.

Mangold said the men tried to reach Jagger by sea. "The boat was hit by a storm and all of the men were thrown overboard," he was quoted as saying. They all survived but made no other attempt on his life, Mangold said.

It was not clear whether Jagger was ever informed of the alleged plot against him.

LD Communications, Jagger's publicists in Britain, did not immediately return calls requesting comment.

The Hells Angels have always denied any connection with the Altamont Speedway killing.
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #316 on: March 03, 2008, 12:50:46 AM »

^Altamont conspiracy, and scooter trash ... need I say more.

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #317 on: July 17, 2008, 03:31:25 AM »

LONDON, England (AP) -- Ronnie Wood entered a rehabilitation facility Wednesday for help with alcoholism, said a spokeswoman for the Rolling Stones guitarist.

"Following Ronnie's continued battle with alcohol he has entered a period of rehab," the spokeswoman said on condition of anonymity as required by her agency. "His close family and friends say he is seeking help and look forward to his recovery."

Wood, 61, has fought a long battle with alcoholism during his rock 'n' roll career, which started in the 1960s when he played with the band The Faces.

His spokeswoman didn't release any details about the treatment he will receive or the clinic that he entered.

The craggy guitarist had seemed to be in good health in recent years. He has developed a strong second career as an artist, selling his paintings at some of London's respected art galleries.

But he has been the focus of feverish recent newspaper reports about his resuming drinking.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #318 on: July 17, 2008, 07:41:36 AM »

That really sucks i wish he could beat that addiction.
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #319 on: July 17, 2008, 11:43:06 AM »

Sticky Fingers is quality ok. Brown Sugar, Dead Flowers, Sway, Moonlight Mile... drool

I only have the 'big three' of Let It Bleed, Fingers and Exile. Might try and get Beggars Banquet next.

Also, Star Star from Goats Head Soup is great Grin

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: