Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:47:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227816 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  what if...gunners use your imagination
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: what if...gunners use your imagination  (Read 2956 times)
RichardNixon
« on: August 06, 2004, 11:02:54 PM »

1. What if Slash had joined Poison when auditioned back in '85/'86.
2. What if Tracii Guns had stayed with GN'R?
3. What if Nirvana had toured with GN'R back in '92?

Here is my guess:

1. Poison might have gotten big. Maybe Brett Michaels would be known for SCOM instead of Axl. Or maybe Poison would not have gotten big at all, since CC wrote most of "Look at What the Cat Dragged In." Maybe Slash w/ Poison wouldn't have been a top 40 winning formula. Still, it would have been an interesting collaboration.

2. GN'R still would have been big, albeit not as big. After all, they still would have had Axl, and Izzy, two great songwriters. And Tracii still rocks.

3. GN'R would have been more accepted by the elitist alterna-indie crowd. Or at least would not have been despised by them and would not have suffered the terrible backlash that they did thoughout the second half of the 1990s.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 11:19:37 PM »

Here is my guess:

3. GN'R would have been more accepted by the elitist alterna-indie crowd. Or at least would not have been despised by them and would not have suffered the terrible backlash that they did thoughout the second half of the 1990s.

Interesting assumption. I tend to agree, although as time has gone by most of the backlash and negativity that still remains to this day are more focused on Axl while his former bandmates have made the crossover (thanks to Scott Weiland) to the genre that's never accepted Axl Rose.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
RichardNixon
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 11:26:51 PM »

Here is my guess:

Interesting assumption. I tend to agree, although as time has gone by most of the backlash and negativity that still remains to this day are more focused on Axl while his former bandmates have made the crossover (thanks to Scott Weiland) to the genre that's never accepted Axl Rose.

You could argue that Weiland was never really accepted by that crowd. I doubt Cobain was much of an STP fan. The Alterna Crowd itself is divided: Cobain hated Pearl Jam, Peal Jam loved old-school Van Halen, Hole made a Def Leppard esque album (Celebrity Skin), Tommy Stinson and Robin Finck  (alterna-rockers) are in GN'R, and so on.

I think Axl and GN'R have reached a sort of cult-underground status that's similar to that enjoyed by the Misfits.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 11:29:24 PM by RichardNixon » Logged
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 11:41:41 PM »

You could argue that Weiland was never really accepted by that crowd.

Very true.

That said, he and his band were accepted by modern rock radio and to this day are staples on every playlist within that format imaginable.

I think Axl and GN'R have reached a sort of cult-underground status that's similar to that enjoyed by the Misfits.

Not sure about that, arena rock has never really been "underground" so to speak, kinda defeats the purpose..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: