Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:31:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Rick James dead at 56.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rick James dead at 56.  (Read 4031 times)
SLCPUNK
« on: August 07, 2004, 02:18:33 AM »

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/06/rick.james/index.html

I guess he had some health problems prior to this.  A stroke and other things. With his years of drug abuse it is not suprising.

Best wishes for his family.

RIP.

Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 04:37:19 AM »

i feel really bad now, cuz i used to watch that chappele show with rick james in it on charlie murphy's true hollywood stories. they had rick james and chappele starred as rick james. it was the funniest thing i've ever seen. they had interview s with charlie murphy (eddie murphy's brother) and rick james. rick sounded real fucked up from drugs, the stuff he said was hilarious.

"what kind of person do you think i am, to just put my muddy feet on someones couch and mess it up.....who does that?.....................*pause*..........................yeah i screwed up eddy's couch"

it was funny then.

but now its just really sad, his coke addiction killed him, and the chapelle show made fun of it and thousands of kids going around saying "i'm rick james bitch!".

rick was an awesome songwriter and producer bassist/guitarist.

RIP rick james
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 06:18:17 AM »

Rick James (file)
Photo: Kevin Winter

Funk legend Rick James was found dead at his Hollywood home by his live-in housekeeper on Friday, according to the Los Angeles Police Department. He was 56.

The LAPD was notified of James' passing at 9:45 a.m. PT. James' physician signed off on his death certificate, explaining that he passed away from an existing medical condition. The singer suffered a stroke in 1998 after a blood vessel broke in the back of his neck during a performance in Denver.

Best known for his 1980s hits "Super Freak" and "Give It to Me Baby," James, who hadn't released a studio album since 1997's Urban Rhapsody, experienced a surge in popularity this year when Dave Chappelle impersonated him on his "Chappelle's Show."

James' phrases like "It's a celebration" and "I'm Rick James, bitch!" were reintroduced into pop culture through the show. "I've always been able to laugh at myself, the character Rick James," James told MTV News in May. "I created it, that extroverted part of James Johnson. I was able to laugh at myself 'cause that's what it's meant for, it's meant to have fun with" (see "Dave Chappelle: The Reason Grandmas Know Who Lil Jon Is").

Born James Johnson Jr. in Buffalo, New York, on February 1, 1948, as a young man he served for a time in the Naval Reserve before running away to Toronto. It was there that James ? then calling himself Ricky James Matthews ? sang in a band called the Mynah Birds, which featured a pre-Buffalo Springfield Neil Young. The band signed with Motown (one of the first rock acts on the label) but never released a note of music ? as James was taken by authorities for going AWOL from the Navy.

James began playing bass and percussion as well as singing in several acts before signing a Motown contract of his own. His debut album, Come Get It!, produced two hit singles, "You and I" and "Mary Jane." The string of hits continued through the late '70s and into the '80s, with "Bustin' Out" and "Give It to Me Baby," and resurrected the failing fortunes of the Motown label. In 1981, James had his most massive hit with "Super Freak."

Photos: Rick James 1948-2004
After his streak of solo successes, James began to produce hits for others. He revived the career of the Temptations with "Standing on the Top," and he produced hits for his prot?g?s Teena Marie and the Mary Jane Girls. He continued producing and penning hits for himself and others through most of the '80s and eventually left Motown for Reprise Records in 1988. His popularity began to wane shortly after that, but he gained another moment of attention in 1990 when MC Hammer scored a massive smash with "U Can't Touch This," which sampled "Super Freak."

While the '90s started off promisingly for James, things quickly fell apart. He was convicted in 1993 of assaulting two women. The first attack occurred when he restrained and burned a young woman with a hot pipe during a cocaine binge at his home. He was free on bail when the second assault occurred in 1992, this time in a hotel room. James was sentenced to more than two years in a state prison.

James toured earlier this year with Teena Marie and had hoped to hit the road for his own tour early next year. He recently collaborated with Kanye West on a song, and he was also working on an autobiography (see "Kanye West, Others Remember Rick James As A Visionary").

The singer spoke with MTV News in May and seemed at ease with his larger-than-life reputation. "I'm just now in control of the persona," James said. "I don't have to go out to clubs every night, and I don't have to have 10 women in my bed when I wake up. There's a lot of things I don't have to do anymore because it's pass?, you know? It's redundant. I'm just concentrating on my kids, and I'm just working more towards the future and Rick James happiness within himself.

"I'm in a great new part of my life," James added. "I got a great new album coming out, I'm on tour and I'm happy. Me and Teena are back together; that may end tomorrow, but right now it's fine."

?MTV News staff report

RIP rick james  Cry
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 07:02:11 AM »

RIP dude
journey
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004, 11:07:44 AM »

R.I.P. Rick James
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2004, 06:41:04 PM »

He was a talented guy but we shouldn't get sad about his passing. I am sure he would want us to think of it as a "celebration bitches!". Even tho Rick is now "cold-----blooded" we should "drink up-be merry" about a life lived. I know some of us bigger fans of his work will feel like lying around our living rooms all day in depression, but "fuck yo couch" and go out and live your life as you think Rick would have lived it. Don't think the world is nothing but "darkness spreading" because if Rick heard that he would say he "wished he had more hands so he could give those titties 4 thumbs down"

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
SLCPUNK
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2004, 01:00:21 PM »

Just saw a report that he had 9 different drugs in his sytem when he died including cocaine and speed. What a shame..... Sad
N.I.B
God of Thunder
VIP

Roooowwwwwwrrrrr! Rooowwwwooorrrroorr! Rwwwwaaarr!

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2004, 07:21:11 PM »

Just saw a report that he had 9 different drugs in his sytem when he died including cocaine and speed. What a shame..... Sad

Ouch. That hurts. R.I.P man.

It's not easy being furry...ever had dandruff on your crotch?
SLCPUNK
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2004, 02:14:49 AM »

Sorry, that may have sounded as if he died of an overdose. These drugs had all been in his body, however he did die from a heartattack, which was believed to be from the long term stress of the drug use.

Still...I long term OD...so to speak..... Undecided

RIP bro.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: