Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:28:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227669 Posts in 43239 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Underrated albums / Great failures
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Underrated albums / Great failures  (Read 19204 times)
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« on: April 29, 2004, 04:29:56 PM »

I was just wondering what albums do you love that have been slated, have had awful reviews and have failed to sell much at all (unknown bands don't count it's obvious why they sell fuck all).  Not quite the underated albums otherwise too many will be listed e.g.'The Spaghetti Incident?'  although it failed to succeed like other GN'R albums it did not get totally critisced and i would not say it failed.  Albums i believe have are;

M?tley Cr?e - Generation Swine
It is my fave M?tley Cr?e album i think it's great but all the reviews ive read have said it sucked.  Classic Rock said Vince was back for 1997's 'Generation Swine but the mojo was gone and they gave it 2 stars.  They experimented on the album and i thought the results were damn good and i cannot fail a single track.  I believe though it was one of the poorest selling Cr?e albums and maybe at the time it was in fact the poorest selling but i don't know how tracks like 'Afraid' and 'Brandon' can be faulted.

Skid Row - ThickSkin
This album has really been slated.  Kerrang gave it 1K out of 5K's and Classic Rock gave it 2 stars.  Now i realise the great Sebastian Bach has departed and Johnny Solinger cannot reach his vocal range (who can?) but it is still a damn good album.  Tracks like 'Born A Beggar', 'Ghost', 'See You Around' and 'One Light' would not be out of place on a Best of Skid Row album.  I admit 'Thick Is The Skin' and 'Hittin' A Wall' are medicore at best but overall this album is great Johnny in his first outing has done good not great but good.  Snake/Bolan/Hill have shown they can write damn good melodies and if they had got a major label to put this out rather than doing it themselves im sure it would have done a hell of a lot better.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 04:31:30 PM by STONED IN THE NORTH » Logged
SLCPUNK
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 10:10:43 PM »

I agree on Generation Swine, I thought they had some great songs on that one.

I haven't heard the Skid Row yet, so I can't comment.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 03:34:03 AM »

Kiss - Music From The Elder
grendood
My favorite word is: Bellend
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 07:33:04 AM »

Roger Waters - AMused to death
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 06:42:00 PM »

M?tley Cr?e - Theatre Of Pain
Even the Cr?e themselves hate this one, saying that it was mostly filler (Vince described everything besides "Home Sweet Home" as "pure shit").  Critics hated the Cr?e anyway, and said this was another triumph of style over substance.  But I bought this album ot too long ago, and I love it to death.  There are a couple songs that are clearly filler, but for the most part it's wall-to-wall awesome headbangin' hard rock.  Songs like "Keep Your Eye On The Money", "City Boy Blues", and "Fight For Your Rights" totally rock and exemplify Nikki Sixx's way-underrated songwriting.
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2004, 08:20:44 PM »

Faith No More - King For A Day... Fool For A Lifetime

After the huge success of 'The Real Thing' and 'Angel Dust', this record was considered a sort of letdown. That's something I've never really understood, cos it's such a solid album from start to finish. Great variety and some pretty good humour, to me it's better than 'Angel Dust', even.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
DEAD HORSE
VIP

08.08.08 ?

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2004, 02:25:06 PM »

Are you deaf?HuhHuhHuh??

Amused to Death is an album inspired By Roger Waters Watching Tv ,news , and all that shit!  I think is a great album , great lyrics and great music! Even JEff Beck played there. To me this album inspired Pink Floyd to make "The Division Bell"

CHUCHUMECO rant

If the world would end today... Wink
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2004, 02:32:45 PM »

After the huge success of 'The Real Thing' and 'Angel Dust', this record was considered a sort of letdown. That's something I've never really understood, cos it's such a solid album from start to finish. Great variety and some pretty good humour, to me it's better than 'Angel Dust', even.

God no.

That album is awful

Faith no more are one of the best bands ever - but they could never stop fiddling with their style - and 'Album of the year' is probably as bad....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2004, 03:42:28 PM »

God no.
That album is awful

Oh.
OK then, my mistake.

Faith no more are one of the best bands ever - but they could never stop fiddling with their style - and 'Album of the year' is probably as bad....

I didn't mind the variety on King For A Day, I love almost every single song on that album. From the sick 'The Gentle Art Of Making Enemies' to the sublime closer 'Just A Man', it's all quality material.

But I do agree with you on 'Album Of The Year', I thought it was pretty boring..
« Last Edit: May 04, 2004, 03:43:13 PM by Skeletor » Logged

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
McGann
Haiku writing motherfucker
VIP

My hat is HEAVY-DUTY tinfoil

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2004, 03:55:51 PM »

I really like "Album of the Year"...the variety is cool, but it took me awhile to get into it.  It sounded awfully familiar but it grew on me and is now tied with KFAD, FFAL as my fav FNM albums.  There are a bunch of songs from AOTY that I'd like played at my funeral, hopefully accompanied by a music video I can produce well beforehand.  
After all, what's a funeral without a few laughs?  Well, i guess the answer is a proper funeral.  I'd like to have people remembering fun stuff at mine, though.

Back on topic:
Spaghetti Incident fits this nicely, I think.
I also really like Pearl Jam's "Vitalogy" and most people I know and reviews I've read seem to disagree.
NIN's "The Fragile" is Trent's strongest collection of music, IMODO.
Alice in Chains' final studio album, the self-titled, "Tripod" nicknamed deal, is my favorite of theirs.

/Mike

"When fascism came to America, it was called 'Political Correctness' and waved a culturally relative flag."
-Mike McGann
grendood
My favorite word is: Bellend
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2004, 06:08:01 AM »

Are you deaf?HuhHuhHuh??

Amused to Death is an album inspired By Roger Waters Watching Tv ,news , and all that shit!  I think is a great album , great lyrics and great music! Even JEff Beck played there. To me this album inspired Pink Floyd to make "The Division Bell"

CHUCHUMECO rant

i know its a great album... i regard it as one of the best albums of the 90's///but the media saw it as a failure, it didnt sell well at all, i t was bashed everywhere.
DEAD HORSE
VIP

08.08.08 ?

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2004, 12:12:01 PM »

Are you deaf?HuhHuhHuh??

CHUCHUMECO rant

i know its a great album... i regard it as one of the best albums of the 90's///but the media saw it as a failure, it didnt sell well at all, i t was bashed everywhere.

So Fuck The Media then!!  rant

loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2004, 02:41:48 PM »

Agreed.  It was critically panned but I thought it was great.  Definitely his best post-Floyd work.

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2004, 02:43:05 PM »

What are you going on about?  He's saying it's a great album, even though the media didn't like it.  WTF?  Roll Eyes

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
DEAD HORSE
VIP

08.08.08 ?

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2004, 12:47:57 AM »

What are you going on about?  He's saying it's a great album, even though the media didn't like it.  WTF?  Roll Eyes

I know what he meant, what im saying is that media sucks! cause in roger waters you wont find a radio friendly song (a single) . I love that album!! butthat album wasnt made to average "music" listeners  no

McGann
Haiku writing motherfucker
VIP

My hat is HEAVY-DUTY tinfoil

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2004, 02:02:01 PM »

I know what he meant, what im saying is that media sucks! cause in roger waters you wont find a radio friendly song (a single) . I love that album!! butthat album wasnt made to average "music" listeners  no

That being the point of every reply in this thread....
 Wink

/Mike

"When fascism came to America, it was called 'Political Correctness' and waved a culturally relative flag."
-Mike McGann
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2004, 05:22:59 PM »

I figured it would be cool to have a thread where everyone can post an album they don't think ever got enough attention but was real fucking good. Who knows, you could turn others on to some cool shit. I'll get the ball rolling

Alice Cooper-The Last Temptation
Not that Alices albums ever really get a ton of attention, but I have friends who listen to alot of rock music who have never even heard anything off of it, or of it. From start to finish this is a great cd, my favorite Alice cd. Goes old school on "sideshow" to start it off, some cool rockers on the album, cool ballads especially chris cornell guest appearing on "stolen prayer". Only one song I can skip when playing it in the car (unholy war). If you're downloading check out songs like "lullaby" "nothings free" & "you're my temptation.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
Sl?sh
Opening Act

Ready to crash and burn

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2004, 06:13:36 PM »

AC/DC - Powerage

This is an album, that isn't really never noticed by the "normal-AC/DC-likers", but is so much loved by the fans. Most of the "hardcore" fans (inc. me) are totally in love with this masterpiece, but for some reason it has never got the notification in the public. This album doesn't really have any "classic tracks" that the other Bon-era albums, but the album is just an amazing masterpiece from the very first second until the end. Awesome, bluesy, rock-album with amazing lyrics, rockin' riffs and ballbreaking solos.

My trading page: www.downpaymentblues.tk

Trading AC/DC and GN'R
slave2thegrind
Headliner

Duff is the man

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2004, 06:33:07 PM »

In general, I think that the band L.A. Guns has always been underrated, so I'm gonna have to say their first 2 albums, L.A. Guns and Cocked and Loaded...but one album in particular...Vicious Cycle...it's got some cool tunes on that one.  I especially like the song Nothin Better To Do...it's sung by their bass player, but it's awesome

Another album would be Steelheart - Tangled in Reins....these guys never really made it that big, and if you listen to them you'll probably think I'm nuts cause they're hair metal ALL THE WAY...but they got some wicked tracks...especially the first 5.  Some impressive guitar work and the singer could probably shatter some glass...it's a total crank it up in your car while your drivin kinda music...i dunno...I really dig it

Finally...I have to say Bon Jovi - These Days...i don't think I've seen alot of amazing reviews for it, but I think it's some of Bon Jovi's best song writing...he really shows his blue collar roots.  The band is definitely talented, and IMO, i think they're song writing skills really show on that album, both lyrically and musically.

- Mike (The Slave)
gnrmadagascar
Headliner

Broken glass and cigarettes...

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2004, 07:24:57 PM »

Alice Cooper-The Last Temptation
Not that Alices albums ever really get a ton of attention, but I have friends who listen to alot of rock music who have never even heard anything off of it, or of it. From start to finish this is a great cd, my favorite Alice cd. Goes old school on "sideshow" to start it off, some cool rockers on the album, cool ballads especially chris cornell guest appearing on "stolen prayer". Only one song I can skip when playing it in the car (unholy war). If you're downloading check out songs like "lullaby" "nothings free" & "you're my temptation.

KISS - Music From The Elder

yes

The Poster Formely Known as estranged13
"While I'm sitting here, doing nothing but aging, still my guitar, gently weeps..." - George Harrison
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: