Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:40:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227757 Posts in 43244 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Guns N' Roses vs. Def Leppard
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N' Roses vs. Def Leppard  (Read 24121 times)
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2004, 01:36:03 AM »

Like you needed to know what my answer is.? Roll Eyes

It's been a long time Dizzy and...HAIR METAL still...SUCKS.

Thank you very much

Yeah, and Guns N' Roses isn't hair metal at ALL, as these pictures illustrate.? Roll Eyes

? ? ? ?

Like it or not, GN'R were from the same scene as Motley Crue, Poison, et al.

Hair metal RULES, and Def Leppard is one of those bands that still stands the test of time.? peace
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 01:34:02 AM by Mattman » Logged
The New Fiona Apple
So, what do you think of my pic?
VIP

I guess I just wasn't made for these times

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2004, 01:52:01 AM »

Like you needed to know what my answer is.? Roll Eyes

It's been a long time Dizzy and...HAIR METAL still...SUCKS.

Thank you very much

Yeah, and Guns N' Roses isn't hair metal at ALL, as these pictures illustrate.? Roll Eyes

? ? ? ?

Like it or not, GN'R were from the same scene as Motley Crue, Poison, et al.

Hair metal RULES, and Def Leppard is one of those bands that still stands the test of time.? peace

Uhhh, Def Leppard stands the test of time. Excuse me for a second. HAHAHHAHAHAHAH. Yes, GNR was part of the glam metal crowd, but not the commercial hair metal segment of it. There is a big difference between GNR and crap like Def Leoppard and Poison. You know what that is....It's talent.

?I only know what I read [in the press],?
Bobby Valentine

Vicarious Existence is a fucking waste of time
-Axl Rose
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2004, 03:21:13 AM »

Uhhh, Def Leppard stands the test of time. Excuse me for a second. HAHAHHAHAHAHAH. Yes, GNR was part of the glam metal crowd, but not the commercial hair metal segment of it. There is a big difference between GNR and crap like Def Leoppard and Poison. You know what that is....It's talent.

My local rock station is pretty conservative, so it only plays the biggest old bands.  So for the 80s, it plays Bon Jovi, Guns N' Roses, and Def Leppard.  It does NOT play Motley Crue, Skid Row, Poison, Warrant, or any of the lesser known 80s hair metal bands.  This is one indication that the band is still popular.  Another is just that you still hear a lot of their songs.  During my school prom this last June, I heard "Pour Some Sugar On Me" TWICE...once at a party at some guy's house before the dance, and the second time during the dance.  People heard those opening chords, and it got a rise out of the crowd...they all rushed out onto the dance floor to get down.  I doubt that they would have done that with (or even recognized) "Talk Dirty To Me" or "Cherry Pie".

Def Leppard also manage somewhat higher record sales than other hair metal contemporaries.  Their last album, X, debuted at #13 on the Billboard charts.  The last Motley Crue studio album reached like #38...the last Poison album, somewhere below #100.  Also, Def Leppard still managed hits throughout the 90s.  Adrenalize was released in 1992 and went multi-platinum.  So did Retro-Active in 1993 (and it had a big hit, "Two Steps Behind").  The Leps had their biggest UK hit in 1996 with "When Love And Hate Collide".  Right now the band is below Bon Jovi levels of stadium success, but far above those three-hair-bands-at-a-bowling-alley package tours.

And as I said, the music.  You still hear "Photograph", "Pour Some Sugar On Me", "Rock Of Ages", and all that stuff all over classic rock radio, unlike most hair bands.  Def Leppard was always one of the more talented hair metal bands, anyway.  Where Poison hit it big with three-chord rockers, the Leps had intricate, textured songwriting with lots of sonic treats and good guitar work.  Their ability to write catchy choruses is up there with Bon Jovi, Paul McCartney, Billy Joel, etc.  Basically, I like them because they're a good, fun rock 'n' roll band.  You might not like them, but I do, and so do a lot of other people.  That was really all I was trying to say.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2004, 11:31:56 PM »

They're both great! end of story. ok

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2004, 07:36:10 PM »

Agree On That But AFD is Better Than Hysteria  Tongue

No man can be my equal
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2004, 08:10:03 PM »

Agree On That But AFD is Better Than Hysteria  Tongue
Same here. ok

Jaded
Rocker

Going 'straight' will get you nowhere

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2004, 12:21:09 PM »

I'm sorry but i jus have to say.. HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU PUT GUNS N ROSES THERE WITH DEF LEPPARD?Huh Ok they both had the big hair but so what? I think the catogory "Hair Metal" is pathetic... how can you group bands by there appearence?? I suppose you put Gn'R with Poison n Bon Jovi aswell then?
Gn'R are hard Rock
Def shitty Leppard, Bon crappy Jovi n all the other crocks of shit are soft rock

Yes they may share the hair but name one similarity in their music...
Go on....
I'm waiting...

Ok so i'm only 14 but i still no that it's absolutly pathetically stupid to group Gn'R with that shit just because of their hair

Thank you.. i'm finished
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004, 02:36:44 PM by mrs_axl_rose » Logged

It's evolution, baby!
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2004, 02:34:10 PM »

Never understood people's problem with Def Leppard.

Because they were massive in the 80's? GNR were too...

They sound ''80's''?...er....well GNR could be described the same way, and many people do, even on this board.

They were hair metal? And that affects the sound of the music? GNR were hair metal too.....

Because they were more more pop orientated? Good dam what do u call November Rain and Sweet Child o'Mine then?

Def Leppard aren't for everyone but for good ol' rock n roll with some truly killer guitar work they are one of the very best, and live they are awesome - in their 40's!

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2004, 03:05:06 PM »

Nirvana all had heads of shaggy hair? Why aren't they hair metal?

Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2004, 11:55:32 PM »

Nirvana all had heads of shaggy hair? Why aren't they hair metal?

It's all about the VOLUME of the hair.  Nirvana had hair at shoulder level that was flat and shaggy.  Bands like Poison and Motley Crue had towering explosions of hair that stood up and went everywhere thanks to abuse of Aqua Net.  Now you know.

I'm sorry but i jus have to say.. HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU PUT GUNS N ROSES THERE WITH DEF LEPPARD?Huh Ok they both had the big hair but so what? I think the catogory "Hair Metal" is pathetic... how can you group bands by there appearence?? I suppose you put Gn'R with Poison n Bon Jovi aswell then?
Gn'R are hard Rock
Def shitty Leppard, Bon crappy Jovi n all the other crocks of shit are soft rock

Yes they may share the hair but name one similarity in their music...
Go on....
I'm waiting...

Ok so i'm only 14 but i still no that it's absolutly pathetically stupid to group Gn'R with that shit just because of their hair

Thank you.. i'm finished

One similarity in their music?  Okay, Def Leppard and Guns N' Roses both had loud guitars.  They both had vocalists that sang with odd, high voices.  They both sang about sex a lot.  The main difference is that GN'R were harder-edged than most 80s pop-metal bands.  Other than that, they were pretty similar.  They looked the same (big hair, leather, scarves), came from the same scene (the Sunset Strip....GN'R supported Motley Crue live), had similar attitudes (it was all about sex, drugs, and raising hell), and favoured a musical approach with loud guitars, screeching vocalists, the whole "guitar hero" aspect, and singing about sex and drugs.  GN'R were simply rawer than most.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2004, 12:27:35 AM »

ok timeout, this is about def leppard and GNR, lets not drag Bon Jovi into this

last time i checked Bon Jovi are still the biggest selling/drawing band to come out of the 80's, so lets not include them! thank u!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
POPmetal
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2004, 02:34:27 AM »

I think it is funny how I prefer Hysteria over AFD...

Get over it people! Def Leppard are a great band...

Hysteria spawned 7 singles....

7 singles of the 12 songs made the top 100

"Women" being the loser at #93 in the U.S.

Hysteria I think is in the top 5 best selling albums in rock history.
yeah but you're forgetting about longeivity. AFD is one of those albums that still and always will be mentioned in the pantheon of the greatest albums ever. Hysteria is def not. And if you ask casual fans of music if they heard wttj, scom, PC they have. Same can't be said about the entire def leppard catelogue.

Actually, a lot of people include Hysteria in the pantheon of greatest albums ever. Maybe most fagot ass critics don't, but I have my own taste so I don't need some loser writing for a rag to tell me if an album is great or not. If I did, I'd listen to Shitvanna.

And you're clueless if you think most casual music fans wouldn't know PSSOM, Photograph, Love Bites, and Brining On the Heartbreak. Yes, it can't be said about the "ENTIRE" DL catalogue, but most "casual fans of music" haven't heard of Dead Horse or Rocket Queen or Locomotive, so I don't know what you're smoking.

As for the topic, Hysteria is tied with AFD for being my all time favorite album, so I can't choose.
crazejosh
Opening Act

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2004, 12:58:14 PM »

I am aggravated and pissed off the the 2 bands are even being compared. When def leppard came to providence last year a friend of mine said he went and there was like 500 people there, maybe.........   Appetite all the way.
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2004, 03:05:53 PM »

I am aggravated and pissed off the the 2 bands are even being compared. When def leppard came to providence last year a friend of mine said he went and there was like 500 people there, maybe.........? ?

And your point is.......?

Def Leppard sell more tickets to their shows than GNR did when they returned ok

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2004, 01:56:54 AM »

I am aggravated and pissed off the the 2 bands are even being compared. When def leppard came to providence last year a friend of mine said he went and there was like 500 people there, maybe.........   Appetite all the way.
I don't believe that for a second.   Tongue

I know you don't give a shit what I believe and that's Okay.

hal
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2004, 05:26:34 PM »

erm...Guns N' Roses yes

Slippin' farther an farther away
It's a miracle how long we can stay
In a world our minds created
In a world that's full of shit
badgirl
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2004, 09:46:35 PM »

My local rock station is pretty conservative, so it only plays the biggest old bands.? So for the 80s, it plays Bon Jovi, Guns N' Roses, and Def Leppard.? It does NOT play Motley Crue, Skid Row, Poison, Warrant, or any of the lesser known 80s hair metal bands.? This is one indication that the band is still popular.? Another is just that you still hear a lot of their songs.? During my school prom this last June, I heard "Pour Some Sugar On Me" TWICE...once at a party at some guy's house before the dance, and the second time during the dance.? People heard those opening chords, and it got a rise out of the crowd...they all rushed out onto the dance floor to get down.? I doubt that they would have done that with (or even recognized) "Talk Dirty To Me" or "Cherry Pie".

Def Leppard also manage somewhat higher record sales than other hair metal contemporaries.? Their last album, X, debuted at #13 on the Billboard charts.? The last Motley Crue studio album reached like #38...the last Poison album, somewhere below #100.? Also, Def Leppard still managed hits throughout the 90s.? Adrenalize was released in 1992 and went multi-platinum.? So did Retro-Active in 1993 (and it had a big hit, "Two Steps Behind").? The Leps had their biggest UK hit in 1996 with "When Love And Hate Collide".? Right now the band is below Bon Jovi levels of stadium success, but far above those three-hair-bands-at-a-bowling-alley package tours.

And as I said, the music.? You still hear "Photograph", "Pour Some Sugar On Me", "Rock Of Ages", and all that stuff all over classic rock radio, unlike most hair bands.? Def Leppard was always one of the more talented hair metal bands, anyway.? Where Poison hit it big with three-chord rockers, the Leps had intricate, textured songwriting with lots of sonic treats and good guitar work.? Their ability to write catchy choruses is up there with Bon Jovi, Paul McCartney, Billy Joel, etc.? Basically, I like them because they're a good, fun rock 'n' roll band.? You might not like them, but I do, and so do a lot of other people.? That was really all I was trying to say.

totally late to this thread.
mattman, you summed it up really well. it bothers me that Def Leppard gets nowhere the respect it deserves. Pre-Hysteria, they released great music. On Through The Night and Pyromania are great albums, Photograph, Bringin On The Heartbreak, Rock of Ages are classic tunes. Hysteria, though an amazing album, coming out when it did, with the sound it did, killed some of their credibility once the 80's ended. People also don't realize that Def Leppard didn't play any part of the Sunset scene. They weren't an 80's hair band in the typical sense and their success prior to Hysteria helps support that fact.
And you are right. they put on great shows still and care about their fans. i was backstage at their show in NYC last year and Phil Collen came back and chatted up everyone there even though it was clear that he was tired.
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2004, 12:54:44 PM »

One thing I always wondered about their drummer, wouldn't it have been easier to get some sort of drumming prosthetic than to learn how to play one handed? Hear me out, think like a real long drum stick attached to where the remainder of his arm ends. like half a broom stick long, and then file the end like a drum stick. I think that sounds easier than learning how to play one handed. Altho I don't know how much of his arm was left because I am not a fan so that may determine whether or not this was feasible.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
Jaded
Rocker

Going 'straight' will get you nowhere

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2004, 02:51:12 PM »

One thing I always wondered about their drummer, wouldn't it have been easier to get some sort of drumming prosthetic than to learn how to play one handed? Hear me out, think like a real long drum stick attached to where the remainder of his arm ends. like half a broom stick long, and then file the end like a drum stick. I think that sounds easier than learning how to play one handed. Altho I don't know how much of his arm was left because I am not a fan so that may determine whether or not this was feasible.

hihi Good idea!

It's evolution, baby!
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2004, 03:02:01 PM »

Prosthetics aren't that good - its not like u have ur old range of movement back - he would have too little control to make that any kind of option - he lost the entire arm up to the shoulder.

I have all their albums and seen 'em live, and he may have one arm but the drumming is still fine - so what ever the hell he's done its working.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: