Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:20:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227756 Posts in 43244 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  watchin the vma's im confident axl will be an even bigger star than his prime!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: watchin the vma's im confident axl will be an even bigger star than his prime!  (Read 49348 times)
SOH
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2004, 11:57:51 PM »

Age is important, correct. But it's only important because they have money to throw around. If they throw around the money, MTV will notice and jump on the band wagon. They do it with everyone. I don't totally agree with the ones who say "They were infants when AFD caught fire." because I wasn't even born when it came out (December 1, 1987) and I've been a huge fan since I heard them on the radio in 1992. The music today taps into the kids that buy it. GNR would tap into a group of kids just as willing to spend money, a group of kids that enjoys music that inspires that and not just "Look at the pretty colors in the video! Here's Mommy's wallet!" AFD still sells thousand of units a week...and that can't ALL be adults.

MTV markets to a younger generation.....age IS important. That and history shows that guys in their 40's aren't always given a fair shake by MTV. If Van Halen released a kick-ass CD tommorow that was musically incredible it still wouldn't get played because of all the factors surrounding the name and players. GNR and a 43 year old Axl will run into the same problems. It isn't fair but that is just the reality of MTV. We will never see GNR on TRL no matter how good the music is, but the big selling acts are all the ones appearing on TRL, so its tough egg to crack. You guys can be all optomistic that as long as the music is good they will be huge, but that is just not being realistic. If you actually look at the hole situation realistically, GNR faces a severe up-hill fight regardless of how good the music is.
Layne420
Rocker

« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2004, 11:58:17 PM »

i am horrified watching this shit!!!!? Hoobastank??? are u? kiddin me? that dude had to be the worst live singer i have ever heard in my life! im sick of studio magic!

anyhow, the reason axl will be an even bigger star after chinese democracy is released is simply cause there is no competition.

Axl had alot of incredible front men and rock stars to compete against in GNR's prime and still seperated himself from a very impressive list of frontmen.

Who could possibly compete with axl now? when kids, who are use to this shit music and frat boy pretty goofy dude frontmen sees a maniacal crazed,screeching, bad ass W. Axl Rose they are gonna piss their pants!

If axl gets his act together, releases a kick ass Chinese Democracy,gets rid of the rust from limited performing he will have a second coming that will be as big as his heyday!

I kinda agree but at the same time disagree. First off hoobstank isn't that badly off from being that bad. Thier second album is actaully good. Alteast they not saying fuck you everytime and just screaming like some bands I see on mtv 2. I'm not claming that there are that great but I have heard worse. Plus I have learn since 99 that no matter what great bands come back the music scene won't change that much. These kind of things just happen to go as trends. I do agree with you on Axl with the last couple of weeks I been wondering what if and how things will go when chinese democracy does come out? But time will only tell.

When there's no more water left
And no more air in our breath
What will this earth be worth?
Do you want war or peace?
Blood for oil greed
Won't feed, won't the hunger our need

FLOW
IndiannaRose
VIP

AiN'T iT FuN WhEn YoU KnOw YoU'Re GoNnA DiE YoUnG

« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2004, 11:59:21 PM »

Did anybody notice how none of the bands that played tonight played one full song? They either played about 1/3 of one of their songs or a medley of all their hits.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2004, 12:02:11 AM »

NOt only were the acts horrific, the production of the hsow was horrible. The stage sucked, the whole vibe of the show was really bad.

FOr starters, MTV needs to bring it back to where it belongs...to the greatest city in the whole wide world...NYC

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
IndiannaRose
VIP

« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2004, 12:02:21 AM »

Now take Axl Rose..............a stand alone.............

Yeah...a true stand-alone, with an 8-piece band (excluding orchestra conductors, horn sections, Elton John and backup dancers).
That set-up was made for November Rain specifically. Earlier that year he made a great stand alone performance at the Freddy Mercury Tribute Concert when he played We Will Rock You and Bohemian Rapsody with Queen.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2004, 12:05:20 AM »

That set-up was made for November Rain specifically. Earlier that year he made a great stand alone performance at the Freddy Mercury Tribute Concert when he played We Will Rock You and Bohemian Rapsody with Queen.

I think you got my point...

Also, I thought his performance at the Tribute was really bad  Lips Sealed
IndiannaRose
VIP

« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2004, 12:12:42 AM »

I think you got my point...

Also, I thought his performance at the Tribute was really bad? Lips Sealed
Well I guess that's where we differ......I thought he kicked major Mcfrougal ass! yes
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #107 on: August 30, 2004, 12:15:10 AM »

NOt only were the acts horrific, the production of the hsow was horrible. The stage sucked, the whole vibe of the show was really bad.

FOr starters, MTV needs to bring it back to where it belongs...to the greatest city in the whole wide world...NYC

The whole pompous Miami vibe was nauseating to say the least, get it back to Radio City...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2004, 12:17:39 AM »

Well, there's over 100,000 protesters in NYC right now, so it was smart to move it somewhere else  ok

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2004, 12:19:41 AM »

wow.. i feel as if i'm alot dumber now than i was before the show..  Cry

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
jbenzz
Rocker

I'm a dolphin

« Reply #110 on: August 30, 2004, 12:23:04 AM »

First off, I'm absolutely shocked to see this huge racism issue in here.  Stop fucking stereotyping god damnit.  You know what, there's some good rap/hip-hop/r&b music out there, and there's some bad.  There's some good rock, and there's bad.  Color means shit all.  Personally, I think that Eminem's latest is better then most of the shit that was performed tonight by black artists, and I also know that black artists have pushed rock forward a huge amount.  So stop fucking placing white/rock and black/rap together.  Let's look at the fucking artists and judge them based on that.  At the same time, lets not get too sensitive about the choice of someone's words.  Lets try to absorb what they're trying to say and even if at face value it is ignorant and disgusting, lets give them the benefit of the doubt and try to take the best meaning out of it.

The VMA's sucked this year cause it wasn't diverse.  Isn't that the point of music, to see a diverse bunch of music.  Rock was completly shafted.  The performances were short and badly slotted, i think there was one rock video in the VMA Video of the Year.  Rap/Hip-Hop was the main focus of the event, with multiple performances by a number of rappers each with their own slot.  The only 'special' thing were those robed people and they just sucked.  They only had artists with new material out/comming out perform.  It would have been alot better if we'd seen Manson perform, or Prince, or any other artist that has some stage presence.  And btw, what was up with Little John being in like 3 of the performances.  That was just excessive, I hate his voice and he's just fucking annoying.

In reference to that whole rapper image thing, realize that it's all just entertainment.  All the kids growing up today see these guys with all their 'bling' and that's what they want.  Honestly, wouldn't you want to have fucking diamond rings and million dollar cars.  These people are given money by record companies in order to project an image, because that image help sell albums.  Rappers have the image that they have to be pimps with lots of women and all that shit, and as a result, labels have found that they can make more money by promoting a good image, rather then working hard to find and develop good musicians.  As a result, the quality of most of that genre's music has gone down alot.  The rock image these days is that of impartiality, like they don't care about what they look like, they just go on stage and play.  This hurts rock cause it's just boring to watch, and it's just shitty music cause labels are dying for a quick, catchy chorus that's short and simple so that they can fit as many on radio as possible in a short timespan.  I mean, Avril's new album doesn't have a song over 4:00 (4:03 is the longest, but w/e) and it's all just catchy chorus.  As a result, nothing is memorable and they don't set themselves out as original.

I tell my friends, they never believe me
They think that I've finally lost it completly
JustUsOwls
Headliner

Since I Don't Have You

« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2004, 12:24:05 AM »

I agree that Little John is becomming annoying as fuck.  Undecided
smishkey
Rocker

Let's go Mets!

« Reply #112 on: August 30, 2004, 01:02:50 AM »

The VMA's were a freakin' train wreck!!!  The worst ever.  Outkast were the only saving grace.  MTV sucks even worse than I thought.  Thank god GNR had nothing to do with that shitty ass show.

"They're lead singer-haters"  Scott, 4-23-08 on Howard
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #113 on: August 30, 2004, 01:12:48 AM »

I must ask why do you people even watch if you know you are not going to enjoy the show? I personally cannot stand MTV and what it stands for and I know the VMA's are going to be poor so I don't even bother to turn them on. I can't believe people fall in MTV's trap year after year and still complain.

As for D's comments: I do think Axl could probably do a better job than anyone at the VMAs (as long as he didnt sound like 02  hihi ) but rock music doesn't need to (and won't) look to its past in order to move forward. So no, I don't agree he will be a bigger star than in his prime.
ccorn69
VIP

Dreaming and waiting

« Reply #114 on: August 30, 2004, 01:13:29 AM »

THE MUSIC INDUSTRY NEEDS AXL ROSE. THE MUSIC INDUSTRY NEEDS A ROCKSTAR.

goddamn it wheres axl rose when you need him?

vma's sucked ass, a 3 band rock performance, bullshit i only saw one rock band up there, jet, and they where just ok, hoobstank sucked balls, and yellowcard is pop music  bullshit (i mean did you see the singer about to cry whne they won the mtv2 award, what the hell is that!, rock stars dont cry for winning an award).  all though it sucked i did like the lenny alicia keyes and stevie wonder performance, dude that girl can play the piano.

but in conclusion like the cover page of Spin magazine said in 99 What the world needs is Axl Rose, hell axl on a fuckin wheel chair could kick the collective ass of what is called "rock" music today.

Thats not Stardust on my feet...
SLCPUNK
« Reply #115 on: August 30, 2004, 01:14:52 AM »

The show sucked.

It is the same every year almost, minus the year GnR was on. It's all rap and just utter crap.

Why did I subject myself to this?  hihi
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #116 on: August 30, 2004, 01:22:32 AM »

The show sucked.
I
Why did I subject myself to this?  hihi

Cause it's like a car wreck you don't want to look but for some reason you just have to.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
Cowboy Buddha
VIP

Balls of Molten Steel

« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2004, 01:33:29 AM »

Here's a start to find Axl and get the album out.   peace

I will not change this Sig. until Vikings, Twins, Wild, T-Wolves or any MN teams win a Championship (10/16/06)
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2004, 02:40:02 AM »

First off, I'm absolutely shocked to see this huge racism issue in here.? Stop fucking stereotyping god damnit.? You know what, there's some good rap/hip-hop/r&b music out there, and there's some bad.? There's some good rock, and there's bad.? Color means shit all.? Personally, I think that Eminem's latest is better then most of the shit that was performed tonight by black artists, and I also know that black artists have pushed rock forward a huge amount.? So stop fucking placing white/rock and black/rap together.? Let's look at the fucking artists and judge them based on that.? At the same time, lets not get too sensitive about the choice of someone's words.? Lets try to absorb what they're trying to say and even if at face value it is ignorant and disgusting, lets give them the benefit of the doubt and try to take the best meaning out of it.

The VMA's sucked this year cause it wasn't diverse.? Isn't that the point of music, to see a diverse bunch of music.? Rock was completly shafted.? The performances were short and badly slotted, i think there was one rock video in the VMA Video of the Year.? Rap/Hip-Hop was the main focus of the event, with multiple performances by a number of rappers each with their own slot.? The only 'special' thing were those robed people and they just sucked.? They only had artists with new material out/comming out perform.? It would have been alot better if we'd seen Manson perform, or Prince, or any other artist that has some stage presence.? And btw, what was up with Little John being in like 3 of the performances.? That was just excessive, I hate his voice and he's just fucking annoying.

In reference to that whole rapper image thing, realize that it's all just entertainment.? All the kids growing up today see these guys with all their 'bling' and that's what they want.? Honestly, wouldn't you want to have fucking diamond rings and million dollar cars.? These people are given money by record companies in order to project an image, because that image help sell albums.? Rappers have the image that they have to be pimps with lots of women and all that shit, and as a result, labels have found that they can make more money by promoting a good image, rather then working hard to find and develop good musicians.? As a result, the quality of most of that genre's music has gone down alot.? The rock image these days is that of impartiality, like they don't care about what they look like, they just go on stage and play.? This hurts rock cause it's just boring to watch, and it's just shitty music cause labels are dying for a quick, catchy chorus that's short and simple so that they can fit as many on radio as possible in a short timespan.? I mean, Avril's new album doesn't have a song over 4:00 (4:03 is the longest, but w/e) and it's all just catchy chorus.? As a result, nothing is memorable and they don't set themselves out as original.

Excellent post.  Someone finally nailed the whole racism issue that's cropped up in this thread.  ok

Ditto for the last paragraph, about image.  The two biggest genres of music among kids these days are rap and rock.  The problem today is, rap has too much image and rock has too little.  In 1991, things were more balanced.  Rap artists had a bit of an image - the gangsta thing - but their music had more substance.  Artists like NWA and Public Enemy were angry black guys from the streets, same as a lot of rappers today.  But they actually had something to say.  They talked about real issues and gave voice to what a lot of ordinary people thought.  Today, though, rap artists are all about the bling-bling.  The key is not to talk about how little you've got, but how much you've got.  And artists like Jay-Z and P. Diddy do that to the nth degree...they're always rapping about their latest fashion line or whatever.  And nobody can identify with that.  That's why I loved Jay-Z's "99 Problems" (and its accompanying video) so much.  Jay was talking about something that people can relate to, and he was illustrating it with a stark, powerful black and white video.  It took chances where most videos don't do that today.  Rap videos today are all about showing hot women, lots of jewelry, and wine.  Basically, rap music doesn't have any balls anymore.

And the same can be said for rock music, but it's in a different way.  Basically, while a lot of rap artists like Outkast are pushing the limits of their sound, too many rock artists are just lesser imitations of artists that came before them.  Jet is just warmed over Stones and AC/DC, for example.  There's a million modern rock acts that are the exact same as what's been there before.  Like somebody said, it seems like no artist really takes chances.  And rock is suffering from the exact opposite problem as rap, because it has barely any image at all.  Sure, it is "all about the music" when you really get down to it.  But image can help activate people's imaginations.  We would all still have loved Guns N' Roses if they looked like college kids with short hair and average clothes.  But a leather-clad rocker in a bandana, a badass guitar hero in leather pants and a top hat, and a bunch of junkies with big hair and sneers...it sort of brought the music to life in a way, didn't it?  GN'R really were the whole package.

What Axl needs, if he wants an Aerosmith-style comeback, is a music movement around him that he can fit right into.  When Aerosmith made their comeback, there were two big music genres at the time that owed a lot to them.  One was hair metal - Motley Crue, GN'R, Bon Jovi all owed a lot to the Aerosmith blueprint.  Then there was 80s rap, which was dominated by guitars.  Run-DMC...need I say more?  So a reunited Aerosmith, with loud guitars, big hair, and power ballads, sorta fit right in there, know what I mean?  If we get some bands that owe a lot to Guns N' Roses, we might see an environment that's ripe for Axl to finally make his comeback.  Erm...to complete the Axl-Aerosmith comparision, I might as well point out that the original members of Aerosmith had to reunite before the band become a success again.  Wishful thinking...?

One more note on the rap thing.  If it helps mend the bridges a little, I might as well point out that Jay-Z had a catchy little number on one of his recent albums called "Guns & Roses", which he performed with Lenny Kravitz on Saturday Night Live one time.  I saw that, and I just thought...maybe GN'R touched more people than I thought.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2004, 03:05:58 AM »

One more note on the rap thing.? If it helps mend the bridges a little, I might as well point out that Jay-Z had a catchy little number on one of his recent albums called "Guns & Roses", which he performed with Lenny Kravitz on Saturday Night Live one time.? I saw that, and I just thought...maybe GN'R touched more people than I thought.

On that same album...on a song called "U Dont Know (Remix)," Jay says "Razorblades under the tounge, I will eat your face/ Appetite for destruction, I am starving today".  And on his hit "Girls, Girls, Girls" he says "...an appetite for destruction but I scraped the plate."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: