Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:44:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Sid Vicious: What's the big deal?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sid Vicious: What's the big deal?  (Read 15210 times)
Chris Misfit
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2004, 07:12:30 PM »

I'll tell you why. Because it's a tired trend, and sound. It's worn out. The whole skatepunk/So-Cal/Fat Wreck bullshit is looked upon as fake because the whole scene was formed by rich college kids, who want to be funny, Piss off their mummy (seriously, you're gonna compare shitty childs humor with the Ramones) and wear expensive desinger shorts, t-shirts and pull funny faces at every opertunity, because it's RAD.

Where is punk in all of this? The mad shows that the Ramones got famous for had have been replaced by ?40 stadium tours. The ripped jeans from oxfam have been replaced by desinger ripped jeans at ?85. The raw energy of great production of Ramones CDs has been replaced by crystal clean CDs with expert production, so every note is crisp and clear and absolutely on key. The long hard tours and support for local punk promoters have been replaced by CLEAR CHANNEL.

Do I really, really, need to go on?

IT'S FUCKING CORPORATE.

Fact is, loads of punk bands have been on majors. SOIA did two records on a major in the 90's. Big deal. Nope. Because they didn't go corporate.

PS - I've never called any or even discussed those bands with other punks, in regards to their music. Simply because their music reeks of money.

I do love a good pop-punk band though. See Green Days first two albums, Undertones, Ramones, Groovie Ghoulies. EVE6, Co.UK.

Can everyone pay attention. I have, again and again stated on this board, so many times, I'm so sick of it. I am trying my best not to throw a fit here. But I don't know how many times, I have stated "THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH SELLING RECORDS. IT'S THE WAY YOU GO ABOUT IT" or words to those effects. I am seriously pissed off at the "....You think selling records are bad, blah blah blah" . It seems you have a conception of me, or punk, and you really have to get over that
axls_locomotive
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2004, 08:30:07 AM »

5000 fans really isnt a lot of people for an annual festival is it? i admit its more than i thought it would be...but when you compare it to say, the darkness, a single band who sold out the 10000 seated SECC in less than a day...

Yes, but we're talking about something that is independent. 5000 is a huge number for something that is promoted by word of mouth. I ask you, name one festival in the world that can draw those numbers without media assistance.

ok i must admit i cant name another festival ...i guess thats impressive...i think

but i sense from you that you want punk to become popular...i see all the conversations about the work you do to promote it...but isnt that in itself trying to popularise punk

In a way, but not by money, not by forcing it on people.By giving people more of a choice. Of course, I'd love to see the bands make a living, but it won't sell out.

ok i see what you mean...choice....ok
this is something that doesnt sit well with me...there are thousands of new bands every year...im sure ive seen many on tv radio wherever...there are only a few i like, most bands i can listen to but wont buy their records...i think i have a good range of music to choose from dont i?, sure some of it is corporate, but most are people who want to be singers, writers, guitarists etc

when you look back 10 or 20 years ago there was only 1 or 2 cable stations...now there are a dozen or more...radio stations were few but now there are thousands available right across the world playing just about everything including punk...isnt that choice?

needless to say i dont get it...why is popularity so bad? i can understand if it was mass marketing...popularity is a good thing imo

I mean, there's so many factors. A band cannot be big nowadays without signing a major deal. A major deal means they're wanting you to be a product, and that doesn't go.

Popularity is great. No doubt. And me and many other will fight for bands to have somewhere to play, somewhere to sleep, somewhere to record. But that's it. Why does it need to be on TV? To be respected? Balls.

i wholeheartedly agree with you, some would say living that hard life of living rough while gigging is a great life though and im sure many here look at that life and wish they could live it...

tv, yea...but it has to be somewhere though doesnt it?

The Dangerfields sell 7 records everyday in the UK. Totally DIY, there records are not in stores. That's pretty impressive. But why bring in a record company? Because then you're a product. Plus, you get no money. So the Dangerfields keep it small and make money off their music.

Plus they can sell an album for 3 quid and profit, whilst other bands waste their time trying to be cool.

ive seen their website, its not very good...theyre redesigning it i see...if you know they need help with their site then id be happy to help...

Chris Misfit
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2004, 03:09:25 AM »

when you look back 10 or 20 years ago there was only 1 or 2 cable stations...now there are a dozen or more...radio stations were few but now there are thousands available right across the world playing just about everything including punk...isnt that choice?

Of course there's plenty across the internet. But on british radio there's not much. Radio 1 might have their punk show, but they'll only play stuff that is on major record labels. Which again, I don't have much of a problem with, because they're there to make money. That's their agenda. You do get the odd song on the radio that isn't off a major, but 99% of the time, that band is only on the radio to see the reaction they get from listeners. IE: The agent for the record company doesn't want to take a chance: That is why bands like the Hives, Lostprophets, Terrorvision and many other bands re-release singles.

ive seen their website, its not very good...theyre redesigning it i see...if you know they need help with their site then id be happy to help...

It's been like that since for at least a year. I don't think they're too bothered. Touring is the main plan.

R4tfink
Naked Waldorf in front of the computer
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2004, 04:10:52 PM »

It's been like that since for at least a year. I don't think they're too bothered. Touring is the main plan.

And rightly so, if your not gonna get air time, then you tour like a motherfucker for god knows how many years and let people hear your music that way. Call it old fashioned but i fucking love The Dangerfields and for what they are doing with their own music.

Chris Misfit
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2004, 05:10:25 PM »

Fuck off back to belfast you bastards
Only if you come too

I fucking love those cunts
R4tfink
Naked Waldorf in front of the computer
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2004, 05:11:50 PM »

Fuck off back to belfast you bastards
Only if you come too

I fucking love those cunts

Yep me too...if u havent seen a real punk band in a while and u live near a pub or a park anywhere in the UK..The Dangerfields will probably play there at some point in time.

axls_locomotive
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2004, 06:49:21 PM »

achwell i assume that not accepting a freebie is part of the punk attitude....lol
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2004, 09:42:04 PM »

Where is punk in all of this? The mad shows that the Ramones got famous for had have been replaced by ?40 stadium tours. The ripped jeans from oxfam have been replaced by desinger ripped jeans at ?85. The raw energy of great production of Ramones CDs has been replaced by crystal clean CDs with expert production, so every note is crisp and clear and absolutely on key. The long hard tours and support for local punk promoters have been replaced by CLEAR
I agree with everything else in this post, but what do you have against the music being in tune?  Huh

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Chris Misfit
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2004, 12:54:54 PM »

achwell i assume that not accepting a freebie is part of the punk attitude....lol

Nah, I'm sure they have someone doing it. I'm just not sure how sober they are. I've offered to do things in the past, and have spoke to them about using the internet to it's full potential, but they don't seem bothered.

agree with everything else in this post, but what do you have against the music being in tune?

You're taking what I said out of context. What I mean is, it has to be perfect by commercial standards.

I still await the names of all these punk bands that are labelled sell outs.

And in response to what Q said about more record stations ect, There are more bands now than ever. One out of 10,000 get a major (when I say major, don't think that means they won't end up in debt) record deal, the dream. Record agents come and go like yo-yo's, IF you're fortunate enough that your agent stays with the company long enough, you'll get airplay. If not, you'll probably get shifted to some minor label that works on behalf of said major label. Work hard enough (IE: Make the company money without them spending) and you'll be brought back up. That;s if they remember about you.

Everyone thinks that punk destroyed record labels and stations, it didn't. It made them aware that they can be shafted. Remember how many novelty punk bands were signed towards the late 70's, early 80's? They shafted us straight back, by selling us a watered down form of something we created. Where are they now?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: