Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:31:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  smokers vs non-smokers
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: smokers vs non-smokers  (Read 39995 times)
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2004, 09:45:31 AM »

So you smoke dope, but complain about the smell of cigs? This thread is bollocks.

Haha, yep.? Well, generally speaking, when I smoke dope, I'm around people who are also smoking dope, or at least OK with it.? It's not like I go to a bar with a bong or anything....

The smell of cigarettes doesn't bother me that much, I mean, I've never asked anyone to stop or quit, I just deal with it.? Unlike dope though, tobacco makes my clothes stink.? I've never had the smell of pot stay on me longer than 10 or 15 minutes.? And anyway, I only need a hit or two to get high, so if I did smoke it at a bar, it'd bother people for about 30 seconds, then they wouldn't smell it again for four hours.

And Chris, YOU'RE BOLLOCKS.   ok
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 09:47:10 AM by loretian » Logged

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
Chris Misfit
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2004, 11:31:01 AM »

I've never had the smell of pot stay on me longer than 10 or 15 minutes.

That's what I'd say about cigs, if I was an idiot (No offence). I don't smoke dope, and I dunno what kind of stuff you smoke (seems to be different in each country) but I can tell you all my friends smoke it, and you can smell it off them, I smell it off myself after sitting with them. Perhaps the reason you can't smell it is, because you're used to the smell, as I cannot smell tabacco off myself, but I'm sure I reek of it.

Anyway, were are the prats that were complaining that they were gonna die from passive smoking? Seems funny they've all disappeared without answering my question. 4 pages of them moaning like old ladies, and when someone puts a good point across, they back off.
loretian
VIP

« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2004, 11:36:49 AM »

That's what I'd say about cigs, if I was an idiot (No offence). I don't smoke dope, and I dunno what kind of stuff you smoke (seems to be different in each country) but I can tell you all my friends smoke it, and you can smell it off them, I smell it off myself after sitting with them. Perhaps the reason you can't smell it is, because you're used to the smell, as I cannot smell tabacco off myself, but I'm sure I reek of it.

That might be the case with me, but I doubt it.   If I actually smelt like pot smoke for very long after I smoked it, I would be constantly getting into deep shit with various people.  Either that, or noone knows what pot smells like.

Dizzy
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2004, 06:18:12 PM »

People smoke to get Nicotene, which is a drug that relaxes them and thats what they get from it .

Incorrect.? Nicotine is a stimulant, hence it cannot "relax" the user.? The reason smokers feel "relaxed" after smoking is because their craving (which makes them feel "edgy") has been satiated, thus making them feel more relaxed than before they smoked.? But Nicotine cannot and does not transform anyone into a more relaxed person.? No stimulant can, and that's a medical fact.

Just like a drunk gets alcohol, which makes them forget their problems and be happy.

Even if Nicotine could relax the user, it wouldn't be the same thing as using a mind-altering substance (such as copious amounts of alcohol) which makes them forget the world around them.

Seems funny they've all disappeared without answering my question. 4 pages of them moaning like old ladies, and when someone puts a good point across, they back off.

Misfit, I'm not sure if I am one of the "prats" to whom you're referring.? But for the record, I don't smoke dope, nor do I drink alcoholic or caffeinated beverages for that matter.? Your implication is correct: people who complain about cigarettes and then smoke dope are hypocrites.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 06:26:59 PM by Dizzy » Logged
loretian
VIP

« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2004, 08:47:37 PM »

Your implication is correct: people who complain about cigarettes and then smoke dope are hypocrites.

Why is that?? The situations under which a person normally smokes dope are completely different.? Unless you live in in one of a few cities in the world that allow it, you're not going to go to a bar and find people smoking dope.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 08:50:11 PM by loretian » Logged

matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2004, 03:10:56 AM »

So you smoke dope, but complain about the smell of cigs? This thread is bollocks.

Haha, yep.? Well, generally speaking, when I smoke dope, I'm around people who are also smoking dope, or at least OK with it.? It's not like I go to a bar with a bong or anything....

The smell of cigarettes doesn't bother me that much, I mean, I've never asked anyone to stop or quit, I just deal with it.? Unlike dope though, tobacco makes my clothes stink.? I've never had the smell of pot stay on me longer than 10 or 15 minutes.? And anyway, I only need a hit or two to get high, so if I did smoke it at a bar, it'd bother people for about 30 seconds, then they wouldn't smell it again for four hours.

And Chris, YOU'RE BOLLOCKS.? ?ok

You fuckin serious loretian...pot doesnt make ur clothes stink? I think ur just too used to the smell and u think it's just the deoderant on u that smells normal hihi

Pot fucking stays on u for AGES. I have to bomb my room with insence and deoderant the second i get home to keep the smell away....otherwise the old man will find out and then POW!!

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
loretian
VIP

« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2004, 10:18:26 AM »

You fuckin serious loretian...pot doesnt make ur clothes stink? I think ur just too used to the smell and u think it's just the deoderant on u that smells normal hihi

Pot fucking stays on u for AGES. I have to bomb my room with insence and deoderant the second i get home to keep the smell away....otherwise the old man will find out and then POW!!

Haha, well, I fully acknowledge that I could be totally wrong in this, but I really don't think the smell stays for me.? ? Pretty much all my friends who smoke too agree.? It just doesn't stay on you.? I mean, I used go downstairs to the bathroom during work and smoke a few pinchies, then come up and meet with clients 20 minutes later.? I've never had anyone mention anything or call me on it.? I know my mom knows what it smells like, and I've visited my parents a few times stoned (again, this was awhile ago, I don't do this kind of thing anymore) and she never said anything or gave any indication she thought she could smell it.

At one of my old places I lived at, I had a "bong room", and the bong water created a constant smell, but that was it.

For the most part, I am very efficient about my pot smoking, too.  Maybe this is part of it.  I usually only take a couple of hits at the most, often just one, and I hold them in long enough that there's almost no smoke being exhaled.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 10:24:59 AM by loretian » Logged

Chris Misfit
« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2004, 10:23:46 AM »

Misfit, I'm not sure if I am one of the "prats" to whom you're referring.  But for the record, I don't smoke dope, nor do I drink alcoholic or caffeinated beverages for that matter.  Your implication is correct: people who complain about cigarettes and then smoke dope are hypocrites.

Yes, but my question is: With practically everywhere being non-smoking now, where do non-smokers feel they are going to inhale enough passive smoke, for it to be hazardous to their health?

Maybe I'm blinded by the fact that I smoke. But I don't really see how you guys can complain when you're obviously not around smokers in public.
axls_locomotive
« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2004, 02:43:42 PM »

Misfit, I'm not sure if I am one of the "prats" to whom you're referring.  But for the record, I don't smoke dope, nor do I drink alcoholic or caffeinated beverages for that matter.  Your implication is correct: people who complain about cigarettes and then smoke dope are hypocrites.

Yes, but my question is: With practically everywhere being non-smoking now, where do non-smokers feel they are going to inhale enough passive smoke, for it to be hazardous to their health?

Maybe I'm blinded by the fact that I smoke. But I don't really see how you guys can complain when you're obviously not around smokers in public.

i like a challenge so ill give you an answer
there have been numerous studies that have identified effects of passive smoking in children, the range of conditions include pneumonia, bronchitis and asthma...now since children have been exposed to these risks for only a few years, wouldnt you also come to a basic conclusion that passive smoking can affect people in a fairly short space of time...

now cigarettes include about 10 known carcinogens, some included in this list below
Arsenic ? a poison used in insecticides.
Ammonia ? a chemical used in cleaning solutions.
Acetone ? a solvent used in nail varnish remover.
Benzene ? a solvent used in the manufacture of fuel.
Cadmium ? a poisonous metal found in batteries.
Eydelmoarfhde ? embalming fluid.
Formaldehyde ? a chemical used to preserve dead bodies.
Hydrogen cyanide ? a lethal gas.
Nutbae ? used in camping gas and lighter fuel.
Tecanoe ? used in paint stripper.
Ricnesa ? found in ant poison.

now if you want to be exposed to these chemicals, fair enough, i dont give a shit...but when they affect me or children then that is a different matter
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2004, 03:28:03 PM »

Misfit, I'm not sure if I am one of the "prats" to whom you're referring.? But for the record, I don't smoke dope, nor do I drink alcoholic or caffeinated beverages for that matter.? Your implication is correct: people who complain about cigarettes and then smoke dope are hypocrites.

i like a challenge so ill give you an answer
there have been numerous studies that have identified effects of passive smoking in children, the range of conditions include pneumonia, bronchitis and asthma...now since children have been exposed to these risks for only a few years, wouldnt you also come to a basic conclusion that passive smoking can affect people in a fairly short space of time...

now cigarettes include about 10 known carcinogens, some included in this list below

now if you want to be exposed to these chemicals, fair enough, i dont give a shit...but when they affect me or children then that is a different matter
Would it be better if they started making 100% natural tobacco cigarrettes only?

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Dizzy
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2004, 03:47:05 PM »

Well, I can't speak for your country, but there are public places in the U.S. which are not yet entirely smoke-free.  And actually, my biggest problem is with smoke-free areas in which people smoke anyway, e.g. concert venues.  Couple that with my earlier complaint of someone blowing smoke right in my face, which is rude regardless of whether it's a smoke-friendly mileau.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2004, 04:11:53 PM »

Paying to inhale that...surely that can only be described as madness? Surely no one would go and inhale these things on their own...so why do they do it with a cigg?

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2004, 07:17:11 PM »

Well, I can't speak for your country, but there are public places in the U.S. which are not yet entirely smoke-free.? And actually, my biggest problem is with smoke-free areas in which people smoke anyway, e.g. concert venues.? Couple that with my earlier complaint of someone blowing smoke right in my face, which is rude regardless of whether it's a smoke-friendly mileau.

How many of these bands that you go and see do actual members smoke?  If you met Slash backstage would you ask him to put his cigarette out while you spoke to him?  When the band do what do you expect of the fans it's alright for Slash but not his fans?
Dizzy
« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2004, 09:57:09 PM »

How many of these bands that you go and see do actual members smoke?? If you met Slash backstage would you ask him to put his cigarette out while you spoke to him?? When the band do what do you expect of the fans it's alright for Slash but not his fans?

I'm mystified as to where you're getting this.? Did I ever state or even imply that it was okay for Slash to blow smoke in my face or smoke in a non-smoking area?? Those are/were my two general complaints about smokers.  Perhaps you should reread my posts so you understand them, because you obviously didn't the first time.

I met Steven Adler, and he smokes.? But he didn't blow it in my face and he didn't smoke in a non-smoking area.

If they asked politely, sure I'd put it out...but I've never had the experience anyone (non smoker) ask politely...you get what you give...Tongue

Not to defend a non-smoker's impolite inquiry, but chances are if someone has to ask you to put a cigarette out, you were rudely blowing it all over their person to begin with.? On that basis, I can understand (even if I don't condone) why they weren't necessarily "polite" when they asked you to put it out.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 10:07:54 PM by Dizzy » Logged
The New Fiona Apple
So, what do you think of my pic?
VIP

I guess I just wasn't made for these times

« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2004, 12:36:52 AM »

Ok, smoking just sucks...Period! I do not understand why people would put their health in danger for something as stupid as it.

?I only know what I read [in the press],?
Bobby Valentine

Vicarious Existence is a fucking waste of time
-Axl Rose
Chris Misfit
« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2004, 05:18:12 PM »

Yeah. But where are you, personally exposed to amounts of passive smoke, that this would effect your health?

Obviously there's problems with parents smoking in the presence of their child. I don't know how we can eliminate that problem.

axls_locomotive
« Reply #96 on: September 12, 2004, 04:02:50 PM »

Yeah. But where are you, personally exposed to amounts of passive smoke, that this would effect your health?

Obviously there's problems with parents smoking in the presence of their child. I don't know how we can eliminate that problem.

i pretty much avoid situations where there is any smokers...since i was a child my throat locks up when i am around cigarette smoke and it makes it very difficult to breathe...

im exposed to smokers every day on the supposed non-smoking bus which accumulates to about an hour day...and just the other day sitting at the bus station there were 8 people, astonishly all women, smoking beside me...and that doesnt include every time you walk past someone who is smoking...i can smell a smoker from anywhere between 20 and 60 yards away, maybe you dont appreciate how far smoke can carry?...although im not complaining about people smoking outside but the exposure is there nonetheless

oh btw im probably what you would call an environmentalist, so i dont have a car, and the bus i travel on uses unleaded fuel
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2004, 07:59:28 AM »

I hate to be one to bring back a dieing thread but....

I just started a new job this week. 3rd shift Manufacturing Job. Hard to come by. First night I show up I learn that it is a "smoking plant" and that smoking is allowed anywhere in the plant at any time. I would say 90% of the people there were either smoking cigarrettes or cigars. I was in utter shocked that a place like this even exsist to this day? People are throwing there butts all over and people will throw there lit cigarrettes out around you and all you can do is taste and smell the smoke.

I feel like I was in the twi-light zone or back in the 1950's to see a whole production plant (a very good sized one at that) allowing smoking anytime anywhere in their plant. You would think OSHA wouldnt allow that.

I've never really been bothered by smokers before since my friends smoke and there is smoke at all the bars I go to, but working for 8 hours and smelling it and breathing it all night really is making me rethink and hate smokers.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Danny
VIP

I fucked your llama!

« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2004, 09:56:16 AM »

I've never heard of a single death certificate being filled out with the cause of death being "second-hand smoke".  Never.  To put it in the most simple terms possible, the smoker is inhaling all the bad stuff and exhaling all the not-bad stuff.

Also, if smoking is so bad, why don't the rabid non-smokers work instead to just ban cigarettes completely?  I don't get it.  If they were illegal, problem solved, right?

Thousands of GNR fans have died waiting for Chinese Democracy to be released.

www.wonderfulworldofdanny.com
Danny
VIP

I fucked your llama!

« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2004, 10:11:34 AM »

I've got a little more, for y'all.  This is fact:

Upon looking at all 50 states, the states with the 10 highest smoking rates had an average smoking rate of 27%.  The states with the 10 lowest smoking rates had an average smoking rate of 19%. The rate of asthma in the 10 lowest smoking states was 6.6%. The rate of asthma in the 10 highest smoking states was 6.3%.

Go figure.

Thousands of GNR fans have died waiting for Chinese Democracy to be released.

www.wonderfulworldofdanny.com
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: