Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:52:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Sampling: Legitimized lack of imagination
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sampling: Legitimized lack of imagination  (Read 3800 times)
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« on: September 10, 2004, 01:33:26 AM »

One of the most popular things to do in rap, hip-hop, techno and dance music is to take the instrumental of some old song and re-use it in a different environment - sampling.  But I've always seen sampling as one of the most depressing developments in recent music history.  Resorting to using a sample in your rap tune is just rewarding a failure to create interesting new music on your own.  I mean, sampling is basically ripping someone off and not being able to think of your own tune.  What a crock o' shit.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 07:29:01 AM »

One of the most popular things to do in rap, hip-hop, techno and dance music is to take the instrumental of some old song and re-use it in a different environment - sampling.? But I've always seen sampling as one of the most depressing developments in recent music history.? Resorting to using a sample in your rap tune is just rewarding a failure to create interesting new music on your own.? I mean, sampling is basically ripping someone off and not being able to think of your own tune.? What a crock o' shit.

"Through The Wire" is enough to make me support sampling.

You could say the same thing about cover songs.  I mean, covering another song is basically ripping someone off and not being able to think of your own tune.  Our favourite band has 5 cover tunes on their Greatest Hits album and released an entire album of covers.  I wouldn't call that a "crock o' shit" though... sometimes it's fun to put a new spin on an old song.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 02:16:58 PM »

I think it depends who's doing it - if they make a habit of it and there original stuff is of a consistently poor quality then i think they can be damned for that, but like Sky says its not always a bad thing - look at Eminem's 'sing for the moment' which uses a sample from some damn aerosmith tune, the song rocks!

Quick! To the bandwagon!
axls_locomotive
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 02:55:27 PM »

there is a lot more originality in sampling now than when it started years ago...i dont think its a bad thing unless its a toal rip off of the song...if some long forgotten artist is getting royalties because someone has made his song popular again then good for him...its depressing to hear some of the attempts at sampling...

eminem also sampled dido's song and we got stan, its excellent imo
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 03:02:24 PM »

Puff Daddy kinda killed samplin in the 90's, I remember he asked Prince to sample "Kiss" and Prince said "no way"!

Sampling is good in some ways cause it may help someone discover a song they never knew existed.

Beyonce samples someone on her "crazy in love" song, and hell i had never heard that music before, but when u find out who they sampled from u go and listen to the original and maybe people like it and become fans of someone they had never heard of.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 03:45:43 PM »

What about Madagascar? Is that considered sampling in the middle part?

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 04:14:43 PM »

bullshit sampling = taking the entire album track deleting vocals and singing different lyrics over the exact same music using the exact same melody etc

cool sampling=when u use a small piece of music or a certain melody to further enhance an original song

madascar is brilliant!

using different movie quotes to tell a story is fuckin amazing!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Chris Misfit
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 01:15:19 AM »

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. But, if you're gonna play mainstream, be prepared to pay.

I used to be into the rave scene in the early-mid ninties (was really punk back then) and they sampled everything possible. I thought it was great.
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004, 08:16:12 AM »

If you listen to Mr. Bungle's first album or Faith No More's Angel Dust - the sampling is used very well - but in the case of Puff Daddy and the Family... that album is pure shite.....

"Rap Sucks.....get an old hip hop album and rap over it" - Chris Rock

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: