Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:31:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guns N Roses Achieve Test of Time?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N Roses Achieve Test of Time?  (Read 30607 times)
Zerocool2
« on: September 13, 2004, 09:52:22 PM »

I may be wrong but I have notived that there alot of fans out there who are in their early twenties and even teenage years.  This goes to show me that GNR has stood the test of time as none of us were even out of grade school yet when GNR stopped touring yet we are all huge fans.

GnR's music speaks to all generations.

However, more importantly I feel that they are a success with the younger generation and that Interscope shouldn't worry about promoting the new record as that of a new band./  People know who GNR are.  No one has forgotten about them.  They have always been ere.  Their stuff sells even without promotion.

Does anybody else feel this way?
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 09:58:43 PM »

Hells yeah, man.  Let's not forget that Greatest Hits sold a ton with barely any promotion and no new tracks.  It even sold more than the Nirvana compilation, which had one new song.  I think Guns N' Roses are one of those bands like Led Zeppelin that are always popular just because the music is so good.  They're one of the few 80s hard rock acts that are still highly regarded by today's generation (unlike, say, Poison and Motley Crue).
Lady Livin
Louder Than Love
Rocker

Don't fear the reaper

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 10:08:42 PM »

yeah, gn'r outselling nirvana's is sort of compelling considering how much this generation seems to favor the latter. i'd like to thank the latter for all the bands we have to put up with today, though.  confused
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 10:19:37 PM »

The only reason teenies love nirvana and mtv immortalized them is because cobain blew his head off.
In 15 more years AFD will still be a classic album ala LV IV but nevermind will just be in the same vein as we view hair metal (poison, motley crue etc) today.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 10:34:31 PM »

The only reason teenies love nirvana and mtv immortalized them is because cobain blew his head off.
In 15 more years AFD will still be a classic album ala LV IV but nevermind will just be in the same vein as we view hair metal (poison, motley crue etc) today.

Not to get the whole thing started again, but you're obviously smoking crack. 

"Nevermind" it looked and will continue to be looked at just like The Pistols "Never Mind The Bollocks".

Seminal.  Ground breaking.  The voice of a generation.  The album that changed an entire industry and the culture around it.

The above is unarguable.

AFD elevated a scene for sure, Nevermind blew that scene of the musical landscape.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
mega_music
VIP

Chinese Democracy Is Coming Some Day!!!

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 10:41:45 PM »

I feel that they are a success with the younger generation and that Interscope shouldn't worry about promoting the new record as that of a new band./? People know who GNR are.? No one has forgotten about them.? They have always been ere.? Their stuff sells even without promotion.

Does anybody else feel this way?

I think they need to promote the hell out of it. How many of those people from the younger generation know who Robin, Richard, Pittman, and Brain are? Im guessing the majority of them would be surprised to know that Slash isnt still in the band. Geffen needs to promote the all new super group. I think the greatest hits would of done even more of an impact on the charts if it was more hyped up. Yes Guns has made an hit in the rock scene but they have been gone from it for a long time now and sometimes people need a little refresher to remind them Guns N Roses are a kick ass band. I still think the promotion of Chinese will be like nothing else we have ever scene.

Chinese Democracy is Coming Someday
-Trevor-
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 10:56:06 PM »

Not to get the whole thing started again, but you're obviously smoking crack.?

"Nevermind" it looked and will continue to be looked at just like The Pistols "Never Mind The Bollocks".

Seminal.? Ground breaking.? The voice of a generation.? The album that changed an entire industry and the culture around it.

The above is unarguable.

AFD elevated a scene for sure, Nevermind blew that scene of the musical landscape.

Of coarse it is.
First off, like I have said before, Pearl Jam was much BIGGER and BETTER than nirvana during the whole Grunge era, but like I said nirvana gets all the credit because he blew his head off.? Nirvana is what ruined music for the past 10 plus years.? Nirvana is the most overrated band of all time, and teen spirit is one of the worst songs ever.? Nirvana was not even the biggest band of early 90s, Guns n Roses were, and pearl Jam was second.

And if nirvana so called blew that landscape, how come AFD is a better album, sold more albums, and like I said gnr were bigger than nirvana in nirvanas so called hayday.

Guns n roses killed off the hair bands with AFD and the UYIs, pearl jam and nirvana with grunge just put the final nail in the coffin, but guns n roses was still the biggets and best band when grunge was at its height in 91-93
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 11:02:13 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
SOH
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 11:03:43 PM »

Um. I think Metallica was closer to GNR than Pearl Jam. I don't remember any one Pearl Jam video or song being played more than "Enter Sandman" was.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 11:09:32 PM »

Um. I think Metallica was closer to GNR than Pearl Jam. I don't remember any one Pearl Jam video or song being played more than "Enter Sandman" was.

Metallica does not count since they are from the 80s like gnr.
I was talking about the biggest "grunge" bands in the world.
But you are right.
Gnr and metallica were the biggest bands in the world when grunge was so called killing off old school rock bands.

Its just not true but mtv changed history when cobain blew his head off and lied what really happened.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 11:10:02 PM »

"Bigger" and "more influential" are 2 different things.

"Better", though arguable, is subjective.

Keep in mind, I'm not lessening the greatness of AFD, that's just crazy talk.

"Nevermind" is just thought of in entirely different light and has been since it broke, that fact will never change.  It is absolutely the most important record since "Never Mind The Bollocks". 

Flannel became a fashion statement, biker shorts didn't.

That says it all....

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
SOH
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2004, 11:18:12 PM »

Although, look at MTV's most popular non-reality show of the 90s. It was about two teenage metalheads sitting around and mocking all videos that weren't metal. That has to mean something.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2004, 11:19:56 PM »

"Bigger" and "more influential" are 2 different things.

"Better", though arguable, is subjective.

Keep in mind, I'm not lessening the greatness of AFD, that's just crazy talk.

"Nevermind" is just thought of in entirely different light and has been since it broke, that fact will never change.? It is absolutely the most important record since "Never Mind The Bollocks".?

Flannel became a fashion statement, biker shorts didn't.

That says it all....

I never saw nirvana wear flannel, that was a pearl jam thing, and i didnt know a bands fashion had anything to do with their music.

And the bands that nirvana influenced are shit. Oh yeah the puddle of mudds of the world are amazing.?
And if nirvana were so mind blowing, why didnt their first album Bleach take off?? If nirvana was so great, you would think that album would have changed everything but it did not.
That is why pearl jam should get so much more credit and not nirvana.?

Nirvana taught bands, they can write shits lyrics that dont make sense, and just play a few chords and they can have a band.? Cobain was a phony, and his lyrics were horrible.? He is the most overrated singer/guitar player of all time.
Mags and the music industry rave about how great cobain was and I have seen so many lists rank cobain as one of the best guitarist of all time, that is just blasphomy, espeically when its about people like eddie van halen and slash.

MTV made nirvana big and immortialized a jerk that killed himself, what a great role model for young kids eh?

Btw B Spears and BSB influenced all the boy and girl bands that we have now, so does that mean they are some of the best artists of all time?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 11:22:34 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Lady Livin
Louder Than Love
Rocker

Don't fear the reaper

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2004, 11:25:17 PM »

gn'r influenced alice in chains, and i'd much rather have more aic's in the industry than nirvana's. godsmack isn't influenced by aic, though; they just copy/pasted everything they ever did.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2004, 11:32:01 PM »

One more thing, motherlove bone and neil young (if you want to way back) really started the whole Alternative scene but nirvana just gets the unjust credit.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 11:33:41 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Lady Livin
Louder Than Love
Rocker

Don't fear the reaper

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2004, 11:37:47 PM »

One more thing, motherlove bone and neil young (if you want to way back) really started the whole Alternative scene but nirvana just gets the unjust credit.

and that's exactly why they're more regarded for their singer than the band itself. there haven't been that many artists like cobain before, though, and you've got to realize that. there may have been those with his type of mentality, but never the skill he had in making his lyrics connect together so well while still in a rhyme. i at least acknowledge his potential, but what came next for music is not, um, commendable.
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2004, 12:42:23 AM »

I always thought Pearl Jam was more overhyped. Their music since the mid-late 90s sounds like shit, at least the stuff i heard. Also check PJ's multimedia section on their website. They show no emotion when they play live. People were saying that in the early 90's, but its 10x more noticable now. Maybe they should retire. PJ "10" also sounds dated, more than Nirvana or any other grunge band from that era.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2004, 12:44:41 AM »

I always thought Pearl Jam was more overhyped. Their music since the mid-late 90s sounds like shit, at least the stuff i heard. Also check PJ's multimedia section on their website. They show no emotion when they play live. People were saying that in the early 90's, but its 10x more noticable now. Maybe they should retire. PJ "10" also sounds dated, more than Nirvana or any other grunge band from that era.

I agree Pearl Jam sucks now, but the same thing would have happened to nirvana if cobain didnt die.  And nevermind sounds just as dated as PJ ten and all the other grunge albums. 

Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2004, 12:54:11 AM »

I think it's fucking about we get back on topic again!!!

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2004, 01:01:02 AM »

How is this off topic? Its about how gnr will stand the test of time but nirvana and the pearl jams of the world wont?
Is it wrong to compare gnr to other bands in the same era as gnr?

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2004, 01:04:44 AM »

MUsical history backs my point of view to the nth degree, I'll leave it at that.

On topic, AFD era GNR era stands the test of time, all efforts post that do not IMO.  No purpose, no direction, no sense of urgency.  To their defense, the music they created post AFD reflected a fat band who's success had dimiished their purpose.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: