Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 02:34:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy the Sgt Peppers of the new millennium?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy the Sgt Peppers of the new millennium?  (Read 17140 times)
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2004, 02:36:51 AM »

its nice to know you went off topic in both threads.
You did it there first, then did it here.
god job saul.? ok

I do have a question for you tho saul.
When total album sales for guns n roses are talleyed, will the AFD/UYI gnr and the CD Gnr have seperate sale numbers or will they be combined?

They will be combined, so for music sake the band guns n roses have progessed, if that took losing members, so be it, but the band is still guns n roses and you can still claim they have progressed since AFD.

And AGAIN for the record, the reason I am pissed is because you are trying to turn this topic into a this band is not guns n roses thread, it has nothing to do with if  you agree with me or not.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 02:45:20 AM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2004, 02:44:35 AM »

hahahahaha

I know you people!

Slash_is_God here! Grin

I see this arguement will go on by all means neccessary ok
Guns N Ballz
Rocker

Proud Member of the Butch Walker Mafia!

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2004, 02:46:19 AM »

When did this conversation, that you started have any thing to do with GNR's sales quotas? Why are you, Dave, changing the topic?

Get this straight: New BAND! This is thier first release! GNR haven't released a cd in how long? So technically the band was dead. Along comes the new GNR. This is all brand new. Not a rehashing. Not a regrouping. This is just brand new with an old name. Crazy concept isn't it?
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2004, 02:46:50 AM »

its nice to know you went off topic in both threads.
You did it there first, then did it here.
god job saul.? ok

Does anyone other than dave really think I went off topic?! Every reply I made in this thread contained logical reasons why you cant compare this bands debut album to the beatles "sgt peppers" album. And isnt this thread about democracy and the sgt peppers album?! So how then have I gone off topic?!  Huh

The fact is dave I disagree with you and made valid points why. Calm and mannered. I stayed very much on topic and explained why I disagree. Theres no other way to look at it. I dont have to go and edit anything I said to hide anything .. it's all there. Nowhere did I stray from the subject at hand.

In a world of public message boards and communication you must be ready to , if you plan on creating subjective threads ,  accept and handle the opinions of others in a civilized manner wheter or not they agree or disagree with you. In this case I disagree with you and have tried to explain to the best of my abilty why by offering you easy to understand logical reasons.

Saul
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2004, 02:53:35 AM »

When total album sales for guns n roses are talleyed, will the AFD/UYI gnr and the CD Gnr have seperate sale numbers or will they be combined?

They will be combined, so for music sake the band guns n roses have progessed, if that took losing members, so be it, but the band is still guns n roses and you can still claim they have progressed since AFD.

The sales from "guns n roses" is irrelavant .. totally. Your topic was if this band will change musical directions like the beatles did with sgt peppers album. My reply was very simple ... impossible for a band who havent released an album to change directions. Did anyone in the new guns n roses play on afd? UYI 1&2? No. So how could they change musical direction in any way shape or form? What I'm trying to tell you is not rocket science.

And AGAIN for the record, the reason I am pissed is because you are trying to turn this topic into a this band is not guns n roses thread, it has nothing to do with if? you agree with me or not.

And AGAIN , how many times do I need to tell you that I'm not trying to turn this into a "this is not guns n roses" band but rather "this is not the band whose musical direction caused them to record afd and UYI's therefore how can THEY change muisical direction?"

Geez.

Guns N Ballz
Rocker

Proud Member of the Butch Walker Mafia!

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2004, 02:54:40 AM »

Funny. I see Eva and Dave. Where's KV?  Kiss

Just messing. Nothing against Eva and KV. Dave on the other hand . . .
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2004, 02:55:07 AM »

The sales from "guns n roses" is irrelavant .. totally. Your topic was if this band will change musical directions like the beatles did with sgt peppers album. My reply was very simple ... impossible for a band who havent released an album to change directions. Did anyone in the new guns n roses play on afd? UYI 1&2? No. So how could they change musical direction in any way shape or form? What I'm trying to tell you is not rocket science.

And AGAIN for the record, the reason I am pissed is because you are trying to turn this topic into a this band is not guns n roses thread, it has nothing to do with if? you agree with me or not.

And AGAIN , how many times do I need to tell you that I'm not trying to turn this into a "this is not guns n roses" band but rather "this is not the band whose musical direction caused them to record afd and UYI's therefore how can THEY change muisical direction?"

Geez.

You already have but like I said in my other post, would I have been better off using the name Axl Rose and not the band name? That is a simple question you have no answered.

So answer that question.

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2004, 02:55:39 AM »

First, I liked your first post, Dave. It could have been a great topic, but was ruined by some people (including you). Sorry.

Back to the topic, I agree with you, but I agree with the doubting Thomas-side, too. CD can be a significant change in Axl's career, but not in GN'R's history, 'cause the new band called GN'R is a really different band. Let me answer your question: "When total album sales for guns n roses are talleyed, will the AFD/UYI gnr and the CD Gnr have seperate sale numbers or will they be combined?" Yes, they will be combined, but even if Axl left and others, for example Robin Finck would have the possibility to use the Guns N' Roses brand and Finck would release an album with Dr. Dre, Britney Spears and Niam Gallagher, even its sale numbers would be added to AFD and UYI. Would you think that it's the same band with a very different sound? And as others mentioned, Beatles didn't have a 13 years pause (they had been existed for only 10 years), they released 1 or 2 albums in every fuckin' year of their career.

I don't like that Axl calls his band Guns N' Roses, but it's really offtopic, and doesn't really matter if I try to see the real meaning of what Dave ha said. The most important thing that hopefully this album will be a huge surprise for today's music market, with some new experiments. I hope this album will be really huge - if it's not a success, then Axl's over. I hope that 2005 is the year.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Saul
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2004, 02:59:09 AM »

would I have been better off using the name Axl Rose and not the band name? That is a simple question you have no answered.

So answer that question.

No it wouldnt for the most part. You asked about the music. Had you posted about the lyric content of the album your thread would have been justified. For the most part axl usually had nothing to do with the music slash , duff and izzy created.

Anyways dave , we can run around in circles all night .. it wont prove anything. I feel I've made VERY valid points about the original subject and I thinkit's time to move on.  ok

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2004, 03:01:06 AM »

And saul for the record, I didnt hide anything with that quote from me.
I realized i was hot headed and thats why i deleted the post after I posted it.

Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2004, 03:23:25 AM »

"The most important thing that hopefully this album will be a huge surprise for today's music market, with some new experiments. "

yeah...  i was reading some reviews of sgt peppers... and i was imagining some of the same things being said about CD...

it was actuall y pretty funny to entertain.  one in particular contained a comment on one of the tracks ("when I'm 64")
that I can easily imagine hearing that about some track on CD that people won't 'get' or that people will think doesn't 'fit'.... if i find the link i'll post it but it was something along the lines of "why is this song on this album!?"

and on a side note... there have been way more senseless / silly thread topics posted here and on many other gnr boards that have ended up in decent conversations....   just a thought/ observation

Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2004, 05:31:52 AM »

Sgt. Peppers was nothing like the Beatles did before it, and Chinese Democracy is going to be like nothing we have heard before from Guns n? Roses. 

Sorry dave, didnt mean to make it so personal, but the only comparison you really have then is the above stated?

Don't alot of bands try and change their sound or music after their first or second album, some try to scale back, some try to take it to the next level, some try to write about different things, so in a way Rod Stewart the way he changed to Disco in the 70's from being rock, could make his disco era compatible to Sgt Pepper?

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2004, 05:39:39 AM »

There is no way CD could be comparable to Sgt Pepper, they had so many succesful singles of that album.

If you are saying that an artist, like axl, changing his musical style makes his album comparable to Sgt Pepper, then when Garth Brooks became Chris Ganes, his rock alter ego, that would make his CD comparible to Sgt Pepper.

There I solved it Chris Ganes cd = Sgt Pepper cd = CD

I just seen Chris in the $4 bargain bin...

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
SON OF A PREACHER
Rocker

Dec 31 2004. Last chance !

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2004, 07:05:28 AM »

what the members of the band say of the album doesnt really mean anything.....Its like slash and co, they were talking how great their album was, (needless to say I felt disappointed) of course the band is gonna say  their album is awesome.....they did it !
I cant imagine someone saying, 'oh you know.. the album we just made sounds like shit'

if chidem is not here by new years's eve.I will KILL myself.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2004, 07:33:30 AM »

How many of the "avarage music buyers" do you think will say "this album sounds a lot different compared to the old albums" instead of "oh, it's a new band. they don't sound anything like the old one"?

Sure, most people on the boards will know it's a new band, but will the casual music buying person care? Do these people know who is/was in the band or do they just listen to the music?

Maybe CD is GN'R's "Achtung Baby". Yeah, they didn't change the band, they changed the sound of the band dramatically with that album.

By the way, I've never seen so many people from The GN'R Bar in one thread.....   Shocked

/jarmo
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 07:35:16 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
GUNZforRoses
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2004, 09:53:01 AM »

From what everyone is saying (who heard the album) it seems as though there is plenty of instrumentation to the album. The first time I heard "oh my God" I thought it was cool but they sort of blodded all these instruments together and it sounded like the beginning stages of what CD would sound like. Now fast-forward to the 2002 VMA's "madagascar" sounded much more refined and solid than "OMG" . I only heard half of Madagascar at the VMA's and it was stuck in my head for months, not to mention the lyrics were deep and very thought out. These days everything is about the hype, I think (and hope) CD will be one of the only CD's to ever live up to or be better than the hype.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2004, 10:34:46 AM »

I'll wait to hear the album before I make a judgement. From my own personal expectations, there will be enough AFD in this to satisty those who are holding on for what was.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 11:33:21 AM by killingvector » Logged

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2004, 10:45:45 AM »

COmparing the two is crazy, how can you even consider this baed on those bootlegs..? Most of those songs are average at best..

To say gnr is progressing is also a false statement, it's more like a rebirth of an old name with new people bringing out their firs talbum as one..

Instead of everone sitting around pretending they know anything besides what the artists of the album say(which is going to be good) just wait till you hear it for yourself..

I know someone is going to think I am lying, but I had took the link from the remixed version of the blues where it has the echo with axl's voice and posted it on a forum not(people that wouldn't care which artist) dealing with music. and out of twenty people one liked it..So the idea is people here are biased and so desperate for anything that they are calling average songs masterpieces..

Cd will probably be the new gnr's breakout album.. I'm sure it will do great, but everyone is getting so ahead of themselves..
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2004, 10:55:20 AM »

CD is so earth-shattering that it will reach to as many peoples hearts beyond time and space as the Sgt Peppers has. I wish! Cheesy

but if you want to get techinal, then sub Axl in the the name guns n roses. But it does not really matter who backing axl in guns n roses,

It'd be shattering if You were taking this band for "Axl and his backing band". hihi

Before everything,
This Guns n? Roses will be Guns n? Roses of the new millennium, I must say.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2004, 11:38:04 AM »

One of the problems the new band will face is the fact that people expect GnR to be this misfit group of just off the street riffrafs singing about life on Sunset Blvd, which was the basis of AFD. Gnr 2004 is now just an brooding iconoclast with a group of studio musicians behind him. That's not meant to be a criticism because these players are really really good and they can tour in their own right. The difference of course is a change in how to view the nature of this band; when most people don't get what they order in a restaurant, they can't get passed that the fact that lobster is smaller than it looks in the picture. Hopefully the music will be strong enough to pull in many of the old fans, but the new gnr will lose and has lost alot of old ones. The only absolution they can find is in putting out a great, not good or fair, but great album.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: