Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:06:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227784 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  What's in a name?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's in a name?  (Read 3870 times)
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« on: September 18, 2004, 09:04:01 AM »

Hey, how come most rock stars don't use their real names? I mean, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Axl, Buckethead, Brain, Ozzy (and a ton of others)... Is it because their real names are not "Fame and Fortune" material? Or does it have something to do with rock scene in general? OR is it some voodoo/satanic initiation shit?

Fuck 'Em All.
SON OF A PREACHER
Rocker

Dec 31 2004. Last chance !

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 09:39:24 AM »

Hey, how come most rock stars don't use their real names? I mean, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Axl, Buckethead, Brain, Ozzy (and a ton of others)... Is it because their real names are not "Fame and Fortune" material? Or does it have something to do with rock scene in general? OR is it some voodoo/satanic initiation shit?

We never get to choose our names, our parents do. Maybe you feel like yourself when you chose your name or somebody gives you one because it is you or has something to do with you.

Why did you pick Genesis ? Why did I pick son of a preacher ?

if chidem is not here by new years's eve.I will KILL myself.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004, 11:37:51 AM »

Axl is Axl's real name

William Axl Rose is his current legal name.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 01:27:14 PM »

Axl is Axl's real name

Close, but not quite...

W. Axl Rose is his current legal name.
Leah_RocketQueen
Headliner

Wanna be Mrs.Duff!

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 03:24:48 PM »

Rock stars probably make up their own name cause it make them feel more rebellionish. lol. Axl had a good reason. He hated his step father and didnt want to have the same last name as him anymore so he took his fathers last name. Axl Rose suits him. Slash and Duff are just their nicknames. It isnt their legal name.

Don't You Cry Tonight
Lady Livin
Louder Than Love
Rocker

Don't fear the reaper

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2004, 05:04:58 PM »

slash and duff were each called by those names when they were younger; they didn't just make them up.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2004, 07:18:44 PM »

Axl is Axl's real name

Close, but not quite...

W. Axl Rose is his current legal name.

And what does the W stand for? That's right children!

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 12:28:58 AM »

And what does the W stand for? That's right children!

What?

Hey, that starts with a W, too!  Anyway, I think that rock stars changing their names was something that was far more prevalent in the 80s than in any other decade.  I mean, rock stars these days are pretty happy just using thier normal names.  But back in the 80s (and the 70s, if you count Ozzy in  Black Sabbath and certain members of Kiss), it was just the stylish thing to do.  A guy with big hair, leather, and a loud guitar or a screeching voice is larger than life, it's almost a disappointment if his name is Bill Bailey, Frank Ferranna, Bob Deal, Saul Hudson, Jeff Isbell, Richard Ream, or Saul Hudson.  That's why instead we have Axl Rose, Nikki Sixx, Mick Mars, Slash, Izzy Stradlin, Rikki Rockett, and motherfuckin' Slash!  Very cool.  smoking
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2004, 10:17:41 PM »

Axl is Axl's real name

Exactly it's his CURRENT legal name. But the whole point of the thread was why do they change them which Axl did. EVen after finding out about his birth father being named rose that would make him William Bruce Rose, not Axl.
Slash and Duff got theirs as kids I always heard and Ozzy was always called Ozzy by people in school in stuff as an abbreviation for Osbourne. Having gone to school with Tony Iommi that's just how he was referred to and it stuck because it stands out and is uncommon. Izzy is close to the same I think with his lst name being isabell but I think he changed his more so because he wanted it to sound cooler.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: