Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:20:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Foo Fighters
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Foo Fighters  (Read 66811 times)
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #140 on: February 13, 2012, 01:44:39 AM »

Couldn't believe the shit that was up against Foo Fighters in the "rock" category - Coldplay, Mumford & Sons, The Decemberists, Radiohead... confused

At least Foo Fighters have a bit of the "fuck off" rock attitude in them, the rest of those bands sound like they're playing folk music. hihi

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #141 on: February 13, 2012, 10:53:55 AM »

The Foos are really a great story.

17 years, 8 records, hit singles, multiple awards, successful tours, global respect..et al

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #142 on: February 13, 2012, 12:47:43 PM »

Dave Grohl's Grammys speech tells industry to learn an instrument

Dave Grohl's Grammys acceptance speech:

"This is a great honour, because this record was a special record for our band. Rather than go to the best studio in the world down the street in Hollywood and rather than use all of the fanciest computers that money can buy, we made this one in my garage with some microphones and a tape machine...

"To me this award means a lot because it shows that the human element of music is what's important. Singing into a microphone and learning to play an instrument and learning to do your craft, that's the most important thing for people to do.

"It's not about being perfect, it's not about sounding absolutely correct, it's not about what goes on in a computer. It's about what goes on in here [your heart] and what goes on in here [your head]."

http://www.musicradar.com/totalguitar/dave-grohls-grammys-speech-tells-industry-to-learn-an-instrument-529491

Dave Grohl & Foo Fighters Acceptance Speech

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNfTXQ5BzI4

« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 01:44:01 PM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #143 on: February 13, 2012, 02:48:22 PM »

Grohl was already one of the coolest guys in rock, that speech pretty much solidified his place alone at the top for me.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #144 on: February 13, 2012, 03:06:25 PM »

yeah his speech was great.  100% right on the money.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #145 on: February 17, 2012, 02:01:05 PM »

Dave Grohl clarifies his Grammy comments:

Foo Fighters

Oh, what a night we had last Sunday at the 54th Annual Grammy Awards. The glitz! The Glamour! SEACREST! Where do I begin?? Chillin' with Lil' Wayne...meeting Cyndi Lauper's adorable mother...the complimentary blinking Coldplay bracelet.....much too much to recap. It's really is still a bit of a blur. But, if there's one thing that I remember VERY clearly, it was accepting the Grammy for Best Rock Performance...and then saying this:

"To me this award means a lot because it shows that the human element of music is what's important. Singing into a microphone and learning to play an instrument and learning to do your craft, that's the most important thing for people to do... It's not about being perfect, it's not about sounding absolutely correct, it's not about what goes on in a computer. It's about what goes on in here [your heart] and what goes on in here [your head]."

Not the Gettysburg Address, but hey......I'm a drummer, remember?

Well, me and my big mouth. Never has a 33 second acceptance rant evoked such caps-lock postboard rage as my lil' ode to analog recording has. OK....maybe Kanye has me on this one, but....Imma let you finish....just wanted to clarify something...

I love music. I love ALL kinds of music. From Kyuss to Kraftwerk, Pinetop Perkins to Prodigy, Dead Kennedys to Deadmau5.....I love music. Electronic or acoustic, it doesn't matter to me. The simple act of creating music is a beautiful gift that ALL human beings are blessed with. And the diversity of one musician's personality to the next is what makes music so exciting and.....human.

That's exactly what I was referring to. The "human element". That thing that happens when a song speeds up slightly, or a vocal goes a little sharp. That thing that makes people sound like PEOPLE. Somewhere along the line those things became "bad" things, and with the great advances in digital recording technology over the years they became easily "fixed". The end result? I my humble opinion.....a lot of music that sounds perfect, but lacks personality. The one thing that makes music so exciting in the first place.

And, unfortunately, some of these great advances have taken the focus off of the actual craft of performance. Look, I am not Yngwie Malmsteen. I am not John Bonham. Hell...I'm not even Josh Groban, for that matter. But I try really fucking hard so that I don't have to rely on anything but my hands and my heart to play a song. I do the best that I possibly can within my limitations, and accept that it sounds like me. Because that's what I think is most important. It should be real, right? Everybody wants something real.

I don't know how to do what Skrillex does (though I fucking love it) but I do know that the reason he is so loved is because he sounds like Skrillex, and that's badass. We have a different process and a different set of tools, but the "craft" is equally as important, I'm sure. I mean.....if it were that easy, anyone could do it, right? (See what I did there?)

So, don't give me two Crown Royals and then ask me to make a speech at your wedding, because I might just bust into the advantages of recording to 2 inch tape.

Now, I think I have to go scream at some kids to get off my lawn.

Stay frosty.
Davemau5

http://www.facebook.com/foofighters/posts/10151306962865545
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 02:14:02 PM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #146 on: April 08, 2012, 04:58:28 PM »

Another guest jump up from Joan Jett with the Foo's at Lollapalooza last night, pretty bad ass.

"I Love Rock and Roll"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lSpIGs85ZM

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #147 on: March 14, 2013, 07:18:59 PM »

Foo Fighter recounts how he made his rock-star dreams a reality

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/sxsw-2013-dave-grohls-keynote-speech-20130314

great speech

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #148 on: March 03, 2016, 09:02:12 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rW1wuNyDKg

rofl

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #149 on: March 03, 2016, 10:29:11 AM »

I thought that was great, creative, foo fighters rock....Still the most rock and roll thing I've seen in years is Dave breaking his leg and finishing the show...Some people will cancel for a cold

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2017, 03:22:35 PM »

FOO FIGHTERS To Release 'Concrete And Gold' Album In September; U.S. Tour Announced

"I wanted it to be the biggest-sounding FOO FIGHTERS record ever. To make a gigantic rock record but with Greg Kurstin's sense of melody and arrangement? MOT?RHEAD's version of 'Sgt. Pepper'? or something like that."

So speaks Dave Grohl of the mission statement made manifest in FOO FIGHTERS' ninth epic, the aptly titled "Concrete And Gold", due out September 15 worldwide on Roswell Records / RCA Records and available for preorder now.

Just as FOO FIGHTERS' anthem of the summer, "Run", "opens as a dreamy, slow burner then? quickly turns heavy as thunder" (Billboard) with its "huge triumphant chorus" (Stereogum), "Concrete And Gold" marries some of the most insanely heavy FF riffs ever with lush harmonic complexities courtesy of a first time team-up with producer Greg Kurstin (ADELE, SIA, PINK).

This unlikely alliance came about through a bizarre sequence of surprise musical obsessions and chance encounters: Listening to the radio during a drive roughly four years ago, Grohl first heard "Again And Again" by Kurstin's band THE BIRD & THE BEE. "It blew my mind," he said. "It was so much more sophisticated than anything I'd ever heard and I became obsessed."

Some months later, Grohl would randomly spot and fanboy out over "the guy from THE BIRD & THE BEE!" a.k.a. Greg Kurstin. The two became fast friends over common musical loves with Grohl learning that his new favorite band had been on hiatus due to Kurstin's workload as a producer.

While FOO FIGHTERS recorded and released "Sonic Highways", broke some bones and packed stadiums and arenas on one of the top five grossing tours of 2015, and gifted fans with the "St. Cecilia" EP, "Greg was becoming one of the biggest producers in the world," Grohl recalls.

With the writing and recording of the next FOO FIGHTERS album on the horizon, Grohl was eager as always to find fresh challenges for the band: "So I think maybe Greg is the guy that we ask to be our producer because he's never made a heavy rock record before and we've never worked with a pop producer." Darrel Thorp (BECK, RADIOHEAD) was soon enlisted to mix and engineer. This collective conceived a blueprint of the new record as "MOT?RHEAD's version of 'Sgt. Pepper'... or something like that," secretly booking into Hollywood's esteemed EastWest studios to consummate this marriage of extremes... or as Grohl puts it: "Our noise and Greg's big brain and all of his sophisticated arrangements and composition."

Months, sounds and stories (more on those soon, promise) and so many guitars later, the 11-Grammy-winning, 25-plus-million-record-selling, last great American stadium rock band had completed its most ambitious album ever ? which naturally begat another insane challenge: How to celebrate music and throw the ultimate "backyard party for 50,000 people"?

What came to Grohl in that vision will become reality October 7 when FOO FIGHTERS' Cal Jam 17 takes over Glen Helen Regional Park in San Bernardino, California. In addition to being FOO FIGHTERS' biggest ever one-day U.S. headline, in the spirit of the original California Jam, this daylong marathon of eating, drinking and rocking features an absolutely unfuckwithable lineup:

QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE
CAGE THE ELEPHANT
LIAM GALLAGHER
THE KILLS
ROYAL BLOOD
JAPANDROIDS
WOLF ALICE
BOB MOULD
THE STRUTS
BULLY
CIRCA WAVES
BABES IN TOYLAND
ADIA VICTORIA
FIREBALL MINISTRY
THE OBSESSED
PINKY PINKY
STARCRAWLER
WHITE REAPER

And in addition to 12 hours of rock and roll good times, Cal Jam 17 offers camping, carnival rides, a water park, attractions, a mobile recording studio and so much more. On Friday night, October 6, campers will also experience the world's best Go-Go band BIG TONY & TROUBLE FUNK, an outdoor movie theater and many other surprises. Camping space is limited, so act fast.

For more information, visit CalJamFest.com.

Cal Jam 17 will be the first chance for FOO FIGHTERS fans in the U.S. to experience the sonic majesty of songs from "Concrete And Gold" in their full live glory ? and will be followed by a full scale October through December U.S. headline tour. Public on sales for all dates will be June 29 at 10 a.m. local time.

As a sponsor of Cal Jam 17 and the 2017 "Concrete And Gold" tour, Capital One cardholders will have early access to tickets. The Capital One presale starts Monday, June 26 at 9 a.m. local time.

The full track listing for "Concrete And Gold" is:

01. T-Shirt
02. Run
03. Make It Right
04. The Sky Is A Neighborhood
05. La Dee Da
06. Dirty Water
07. Arrows
08. Happy Ever After (Zero Hour)
09. Sunday Rain
10. The Line
11. Concrete And Gold

"Concrete And Gold" U.S. tour dates:

Oct. 07 - San Bernardino, CA - Cal Jam 17 @ Glen Helen Regional Park
Oct. 12 - Washington DC - The Anthem (SOLD OUT)
Oct. 14 - Richmond, VA - Richmond Coliseum
Oct. 15 - Greensboro, NC - Greensboro Coliseum
Oct. 17 - Columbia, SC - Colonial Life Arena
Oct. 18 - Knoxville, TN - Thompson-Boling Arena
Oct. 20 - Cincinnati, OH - U.S. Bank Arena
Oct. 21 - Lexington, KY - Rupp Arena
Oct. 23 - Nashville, TN - Bridgestone Arena
Oct. 24 - Memphis,TN - FedExForum
Oct. 26 - Birmingham, AL - Legacy Arena at The BJCC
Oct. 28 - New Orleans, LA - Voodoo Music + Arts Experience
Nov. 07 - Madison, WI - Kohl Center
Nov. 08 - Champaign, IL - State Farm Arena