Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:46:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  My new guitar... [help needed gibson pros]
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My new guitar... [help needed gibson pros]  (Read 4453 times)
Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« on: October 01, 2004, 05:38:40 PM »

Gibson Les Paul Custom 1979 100% original (nickel hardware, not gold)

It has some details because of use and age, but in very good conditions.

My question is... the frets aren't as new as I want them... and I don't know if it will be comfortable to play with it...

price: 2500U$

I already have an ibanez RG guitar, wich I find awesome, but it has a floyd rose, what I rarely use. Ibanez RG has jumbo frets...

what should I do? I guess that 2500 U$ for a 1979 gibson is a good price... since it's all original... but I'm not really convinced about the frets... should I change them or it will decrease alot the guitar value?

thanks in advance...
 peace

Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 05:52:06 PM »

it looks like this...

diferent pots and mic selector trought

Jesse James
Rocker

tss tss tss tss gnnnnnn!!!

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 06:02:02 AM »

well this may sound silly but here it goes anyway...

I suppose you bought the guitar for playing it and not for putting it in a glass box and just admiring it.

so wouldn't it be right if the guitar played the way it should play and make you feel comfortable?
I recently changed the frets of my Epi LP STD and I tell you man, I noticed a MAJOR difference.
the guitar almost plays by itself and it sounds sweeeet!

about the guitar value... well I'm not sure so I can't say anything

anyway, if you decide to replace 'em I guess a set of Dunlop mediums would fit just fine ok

I hope I was of help

Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 09:22:26 PM »

As long as the job is done by a good tech, refretting will in no way decrease the value of the guitar.  Professional guitarists get their frets replaced or recrowned very often.  A fret job will probably set you back around $200 (maybe more, maybe less), so you might wanna bring the point about the frets up with whoever you're buying it from, and try and get some money knocked off, as you're going to have to fork out extra, to make the guitar playable.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 02:50:06 PM »

thanks so much for the feedback... I didn't buy the guitar yet... I'm amazed with Gibson sound (fuck you slash, joe perry, etc etc etc  Grin )

I play with my ibanez, wich I find really comfortable. The distance between the frets and the stings is SHORT .

But I gotta sell my ibanez to get enought money for the gibson custom... i really dunno what to do...

Thanks again,
(a confused) Aero.

Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 05:32:08 AM »

If you want the guitar, then go ahead and get it.  As long as you can find a trustworthy luthier, you will be fine.  You can get it refretted with Dunlop 6000's which is the size Ibanez use I think, and they will probably do you a setup as well if you're getting a fret job.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 03:30:36 PM »

Cool thankyou very much  love

Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 03:41:46 PM »

I play with my ibanez, wich I find really comfortable. The distance between the frets and the stings is SHORT .

If you want the strings of the LP closer to the fretboard you dont want new frets, you want to adjust the action so its how u like it ok
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2004, 08:13:19 AM »

If you want the strings of the LP closer to the fretboard you dont want new frets, you want to adjust the action so its how u like it ok
Yes but that won't fix the problem of worn frets now will it?

Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2004, 12:39:32 PM »

I got another option... Gibson les paul custom alpine white

it has a modificarion but it can be restored: a fishman bridge w/2 pull in-off pots to activate it

its from 1997 I guess the frets are better...

Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2004, 10:53:41 PM »

Piezo bridge?  I wouldn't get it restored if I were you, acousticy sounds might come in handy.

Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2004, 02:16:00 PM »

Piezo bridge?? I wouldn't get it restored if I were you, acousticy sounds might come in handy.

Yeah I am not convinded at all about modified Gibsons.

I guess I will save a little more to buy 1979 custom

Thanks to everybody for helping me  peace

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: