Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:32:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227787 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Springsteen is supporting Kerry. What about Axl & Slash ?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Springsteen is supporting Kerry. What about Axl & Slash ?  (Read 26425 times)
Taz
Banned
Headliner

Axl forever

« on: October 08, 2004, 08:04:23 AM »

Bruce Springsteen is on tour (with other artists) supporting the White House candidate John Kerry and Eminem (like a moron) will release an anti-Bush album after the election. What about Axl & Slash ?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 08:59:23 AM »

Axl and Slash aren't working together anymore.

Tongue

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 09:02:55 AM »

I'm glad Axl or slash arent out trying to peddle voters. I loose Respect for Bruce and John Fogerty when they are out supporting a Billionaire like Kerry. Its one thing to register people, its another to tell them how to vote, thats against all rock n roll

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 10:01:11 AM »

Well, it appears hard enough for Axl to get out of his house at the moment so I hardly think he's gonna be out lobbying for either. It'll be a miracle if he gets to a polling station (unless you can vote by post in the US?)

Anyway, Slash would be Kerry (he's already taken part in anti war events so Bush is unlikely).

I think its good that musicians keep out of politics (unless its for a good cause like dropping debt), although I think writing about politics and expressing your opinions through music is fine if thats what inspires you

Here today...ready to rock
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 10:42:18 AM »

I think its good that musicians keep out of politics

I totally agree. Music and policy are two different things. Besides, Axl Rose is an American citizen and he may have his own personal politic point of vue, and it's his personal life. Who cares? I mean the man is here to make music, this is his passion and his job .
Endly, here in France there are a lots of artists who speak about policy, most of them are ultra-communist stupid persons (you know the "artists" think they will "change the world" and blablabla...), and they really say bullshits when they speak about policy. They'd better make good music and do their job instead of speacking about what they don't know. On top of that, they are not very intelligent persons, when you stoped school at 15 you shouldn't speak about policy, it's for intelligent people.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 10:56:10 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 11:02:22 AM »

Going to school doesn't make you intelligent or vice versa.

It might make you educated but there's other ways you can get educated on things like world affairs.

Yeah, it's horrible when people decide to use their spotlight for important issues that affect people instead of just talking about how many groupies they have...  Tongue

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 11:14:37 AM »

alright, what I tries to explain is that you need a minimum of intellectual background to speak about very complex things that happen in the world. Unfortunately this is not the case of most rockers who spend there time drinking beer.
1 year ago, I went to a Radiohead concert at "Paris-Bercy", the opening band spent their time screaming "fuck bush fuck USA", I don't like bush but come on I wanted to jump onstage and told him to shut up. I didn't come to see a guy? talking about policy and screaming BS on the microphone, I didn't pay for that, I was here to listen to music, do you see what I mean? make music, do your job, that's it. That's why people were here that night, it was for music not policy.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 11:22:03 AM by nesquick » Logged

Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 11:28:38 AM »

Imagine if politicians started to play music??? Tony Blair always looks outa place with a guitar in his hand.

Seriously, I have no issues with using the spotlight to support a political cause (e.g. Bon world debt, Geldolf starving in Africa)...but fraternising with politicians (who usually have an alterior motive) and preaching ideologies is all a bit too much when you are at a concert (although that makes me feel a little hyproctitical as no one complains when Marilyn Manson bangs on about government church etc at his concerts)

And one other thing...look at Arnold Schwanznegger...he makes me cringe on tv

gnrvrrule
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2004, 11:39:57 AM »

If I had to guess, I'd say Axl leans toward Bush and Slash toward Kerry.  I remember reading that Slash played at two peace marches, but if I had to guess, I would say he was there just to play in front of people, but of course I could be wrong.  Slash is a pretty liberal guy, though, which is great for the image of Gn'r and VR.  Axl, on the other hand, seems to be rather socially conservative, and supported the Gulf War in 1991.  He has said bad things about government, which makes me think he won't vote at all, but he might be in Bush' category.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2004, 11:42:53 AM »

Scharzennegger is another story. He is 56, had a brillant actor career and is qualified with a MBA of economic and business. That guy isn't stupid at all you know...he is a very clever man. Most actors are clever persons. Beeing an actor is a pretty intellectual job. Besides, it seems he is doing a good job as governor of California.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 11:46:46 AM by nesquick » Logged

SON OF A PREACHER
Rocker

Dec 31 2004. Last chance !

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2004, 12:23:31 PM »

Tommy hates Bush, he called him 'a lousy president' , and Jesse Malin went even further and called him 'a fucking nazi! hihi peace

There's an expression that goes sort of like this....tell me who your friends are and I'll tell you who are''....

well...if Tommy is friends with Axl.....Id say axl hates Bush as well...lets remember AXL 2004 is not the little redneck hick from indiana anymore...he has travelled the world, educated him self, known people,  'I bet a lot of people in here didnt know what 'rhiad and the bedouins'' was all about...

What's so civil about war anyway  smoking

if chidem is not here by new years's eve.I will KILL myself.
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2004, 12:26:37 PM »

what is rhiad and the bedouins all about? I guess its not a bunch of nomads in Suadi?

P.S. I don't think that touring the world is quite the same as travelling, do we know that Axl has travelled outside of South America?

bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2004, 12:29:02 PM »

it's so sad when some music or sports stars suported or not suported some politicians!!!!
axl is real rock star,and i like his attitude about this
SON OF A PREACHER
Rocker

Dec 31 2004. Last chance !

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2004, 12:46:19 PM »

Rhiad is a name...maybe he met someone named rhiad ? Huh Idunno

there's also a story that may have nothing to do with it :

http://www.tragena.net/html/history.php

The bedouins are an arab people who traditionally have been nomadic herders in the deserts of the Middle East. Almost all of the approx. 1 million bedouins are muslims and speak some form of the Arabic language.

The bedouins who follow their traditional way of life travel the deserts seeking fresh water and pastureland for their camels, goats, and sheep. They live in tents and wear clothing made from the skin and hair from their animals. The Bedouins eat mostly dairy products, dates and rice. They trade with the? people in nearby villages for knives, ports and other goods.
The Bedouins are proud and extremely independent. (sometimes country frontieres are meaningless to them) they live by a moral code that emphazises such values as courage, generosity and tribal loyalty. Insults to their pride sometimes leads to bloody feuds between tribes.

Nowadays, nations in the middle east encourage the Bedouins to settle, giving them land to harvest.

+ Do you honestly think a rich man will stay in his mansion in malibu doing nothing for ten years besides tweaking CHIDEM ? I would travel my ass off all around the world If I were rich.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 12:48:18 PM by SON OF A PREACHER » Logged

if chidem is not here by new years's eve.I will KILL myself.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2004, 12:53:09 PM »

there are lots of bedouins in the Negev desert in Israel, in the south of Israel. I saw some of them, They are very cool people and they are very appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 12:54:57 PM by nesquick » Logged

Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2004, 12:59:35 PM »

We know Dizzy doesn't like Bush and probably support Kerry (it was in a recent article where he talked a bit about politics). Slash did a couple of anti-war concerts last year so I would say he leans towards Kerry. Axl...I really have no idea and I don't think it's that important to know.

jaknudsen
Rocker

I'm a mule!

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2004, 01:45:56 PM »

Anyway, Slash would be Kerry (he's already taken part in anti war events so Bush is unlikely)

This may be a little OT, but I've never heard Kerry being against the war in Iraq, just the way it's executed.

looooooooove's sooooo straaange

2006-06-28 Oslo, NOR
2010-06-02 Oslo, NOR
2018-07-19 Oslo, NOR
2022-06-15 Stavanger, NOR
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2004, 01:54:45 PM »

Is Slash an American citizen?  Huh As far as I know (according to Snakepit.org) Slash is not into politics he hardly ever voted.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2004, 02:20:57 PM »

I loose Respect for Bruce and John Fogerty when they are out supporting a Billionaire like Kerry

Yeah man...they should be supporting a billionaire like Bush.? Roll Eyes? Stupid me, I thought they were supporting the guy whose beliefs they shared...turns out its his money they want as president. Undecided

I would assume, based on a song like "Civil War," that Axl is opposed to war.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 02:27:28 PM by Booker Floyd » Logged
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2004, 02:26:15 PM »

Not every War... He supported the Gulf war, and as I remember he even made a rant about it.

Rollin' on the streets
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2004, 02:43:38 PM »

I totally agree. Music and policy are two different things. Besides, Axl Rose is an American citizen and he may have his own personal politic point of vue, and it's his personal life. Who cares? I mean the man is here to make music, this is his passion and his job .
Endly, here in France there are a lots of artists who speak about policy, most of them are ultra-communist stupid persons (you know the "artists" think they will "change the world" and blablabla...), and they really say bullshits when they speak about policy. They'd better make good music and do their job instead of speacking about what they don't know. On top of that, they are not very intelligent persons, when you stoped school at 15 you shouldn't speak about policy, it's for intelligent people.
What a F**king stupid thing to say!  In america all people regardless of education, have the right to voice their opinions on matters that might affect them personally.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2004, 02:52:16 PM »

Tommy hates Bush, he called him 'a lousy president' , and Jesse Malin went even further and called him 'a fucking nazi! hihi peace

There's an expression that goes sort of like this....tell me who your friends are and I'll tell you who are''....

well...if Tommy is friends with Axl.....Id say axl hates Bush as well...lets remember AXL 2004 is not the little redneck hick from indiana anymore...he has travelled the world, educated him self, known people,? 'I bet a lot of people in here didnt know what 'rhiad and the bedouins'' was all about...

What's so civil about war anyway? smoking

So what are you saying?

It sounds like your saying that Republicans aren't educated?

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
SLCPUNK
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2004, 02:58:57 PM »

Well if only the intellectual should talk about world affairs we should shut down the jungle.... hihi

Also everybody plays a role in life. Some are lawyers, carpenters, students, rock stars whatever, and they all have political opinions. The only difference is the rock star has access to a mic and none of us do. We'd do the same thing, it's natural to take advantage of that position to promote what you believe in. You promote what you believe in on this MB do you not? Well.....

BTW most of our government leaders, probably all are wealthy. We are a nation for the rich, run by the rich.

And Kerry's money comes from his wife.......
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2004, 03:35:37 PM »

I left school at 15, have a " bac +3" today, read over 10.000 books on very different matters ( from calculations about weather forecast to history to recent history of the israeli politics bla bla bla) and lived in a few countries where i learnt a lot of internal policy and politics in general.

I think your comment was out of place, for there are people coming out of HEC or SCIENCE PO who are utterly and profoundly dumb.

I don't think saying in school too long is necessarily that good for one's intellect and free mind either..

Sorry, know it was off topic.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 03:37:31 PM by jessica » Logged

Nothing to say
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2004, 03:40:24 PM »

By the way, if in america an actor can become president ( reagan) and another actore becomes governor of California, i don't think artists, evne if they left school at 15, should shut up.

Nothing to say
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2004, 04:12:04 PM »

I left school at 15, have a " bac +3" today, read over 10.000 books on very different matters ( from calculations about weather forecast to history to recent history of the israeli politics bla bla bla) and lived in a few countries where i learnt a lot of internal policy and politics in general.

Is it for real?  Huh Reading 10,000 books takes a long, long time. If you read 1 book/day then after 27,4 years you'll read all of them. BTW nobody will be clever or intelligent by going to school for years, but teachers can help and you can learn more than if you only read books.

Rollin' on the streets
FlashFlood
Rocker

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2004, 04:13:47 PM »

Well Jessica, do you wanna know why they get elected? Because they have money. Money, money, money. It runs the world. Its not because they are particularly intelligent. Its because they have money.

Education does make you intelligent, I dont know why somebody would think otherwise, no matter what kind of education that is.

The fact of the matter is, is you arent intelligent and are talking about politics, then shut the fuck up.

poop
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2004, 04:19:20 PM »

It turns me off when musicians get involved with politics. Mainly because music for me is a way to escape the real world so I don't want to go to a concert and hear them going on about something I'm trying to escape at the moment. I think there are better forums for them to speak their opinions.

Some musicians come off as really sincere and intelligent, but there are too many out there who just latch on to something to get their name out there. I don't want to hear someone if all they can do is go up there and say "Bush is a nazi" or "F*** John Kerry." Another thing that bugs me is when musicians and celebrities go on a political ant at a totally inappropriate place. I remember Chris Martin went on an an anti-war rant at a benefit for teenagers with cancer. The guy is supposed to be raising money for cancer victims and the moron is trying to get his name out in the press by ranting about the war. There are too many celebrities like this.

I don't really care for rap, but it seems rap artists are handling it the proper way. They are getting out there and encouraging young Americans to vote instead of forcing their opinions down someone's throat. I respect that a lot more than someone ranting and raving about Bush or Kerry.

I am also put off that artists feel the need to tour to get someone out of office. There are million more important causes they could behind and instead they decide to tour to support a billionaire. Am I the only one who sees how wrong this is? Yes, the presidential election is important but the US and the world isn't going to be significantly better or worse no matter who wins. Meanwhile people are dying of AIDS, cancer, alzheimers, and starvation but somehow they find supporting a billionaire is a more worthy cause. It's ridiculous.
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2004, 04:36:17 PM »

And one other thing...look at Arnold Schwanznegger...he makes me cringe on tv

Don't pick on Arnie.No one out there has EVER done what he's done.

The man has had three incredibly succesful lives:

-He's the best body builder ever
-He still is the best payed actor ever
-he hs the most important political role an austrian could have: gouvernor of the 5th biggest economy inthe world

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2004, 04:39:20 PM »

Some musicians come off as really sincere and intelligent, but there are too many out there who just latch on to something to get their name out there. I don't want to hear someone if all they can do is go up there and say "Bush is a nazi" or "F*** John Kerry." Another thing that bugs me is when musicians and celebrities go on a political ant at a totally inappropriate place. I remember Chris Martin went on an an anti-war rant at a benefit for teenagers with cancer. The guy is supposed to be raising money for cancer victims and the moron is trying to get his name out in the press by ranting about the war. There are too many celebrities like this.

I don't really care for rap, but it seems rap artists are handling it the proper way. They are getting out there and encouraging young Americans to vote instead of forcing their opinions down someone's throat. I respect that a lot more than someone ranting and raving about Bush or Kerry.

YES!  That's exactly it.  I admire musicians who go out there and speak about politics with an informed opinion - Bruce Springsteen being the best example I can think of.  He speaks eloquently and he doesn't come off as partisan or wanting to hook onto the bandwagon....he comes across as someone who wants to stand up for what's right.  What I can't stand are artists who simply spout lowest-common-demoninator rants about how they can't stand one particular politician (okay, George Bush).  Like not too long ago at a Sum 41 concert at my university, the opening act, which wasn't particularly talented, led the crowd in a chant of "Fuck George Bush! Fuck George Bush!"  If they can't think of anything more interesting to say than that, then they shouldn't bother.  The other day I saw this video by some hardcore metal band called "No W", which was just about hating Bush.  Look, it's all well and good to dislike a politician, but you could at least explain your position in a better manner.

And yeah, Chris Martin absolutely annoys the shit out of me - I hate that guy!  Every single awards show he was at, he'll take the mic and make some comment like, "Thanks for the award, even though we'll all be blown up if George Bush has his way."  Accept the damn award and be done with it!  One thing I dislike is how so many of the people who say this aren't even American - ditto Chris Martin.  The opening act at the Sum 41 concert is another example.  They're Canadian, we're Canadian - why start talking about Bush?  To me, you resort to that when you don't have the talent to just let your music speak for you.   I admire artists who don't just talk about hating Bush, but also explain why John Kerry is better, and do it in a thoughtful way (like Bruce Springsteen, Eddie Vedder, or Tom DeLonge).

I am also put off that artists feel the need to tour to get someone out of office. There are million more important causes they could behind and instead they decide to tour to support a billionaire. Am I the only one who sees how wrong this is? Yes, the presidential election is important but the US and the world isn't going to be significantly better or worse no matter who wins. Meanwhile people are dying of AIDS, cancer, alzheimers, and starvation but somehow they find supporting a billionaire is a more worthy cause. It's ridiculous.

Yeah, but artists often do tour behind matters like fighting AIDS, cancer, Third World poverty and all that.  It's just that this is an election year and they want to do what they think will help thier country - nothing wrong with that.  And you could view it an indirectly trying to solve a multiplicity of issues.  If they think electing John Kerry will mean more protection the environment, a better foreign policy, easing domestic unemployment...well, by all means, let them.

Anybody want a bit of relatively subtle political humour?  Enjoy this "Yogi Bush" cartoon.

http://www.campchaos.com/show.php?iID=867
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2004, 07:30:09 PM »

I had a good little giggle when someone mentioned not voting for Kerry because he's a billionaire...that cracks me up!!!   rofl  One of the candidates is all for tax breaks for the wealthy.  The other one (the one you called a billionaire) would say screw that!  Oh yeah, also, ever heard of a company called Haliburton???  It's that company that got contracts in Iraq handed to them...no need to bid...pretty nice, huh???

I've said it before, I'll say it again...Axl probably leans toward Libertarian views...he's very independent and just doesn't want government fucking with him.

Oh yeah, and if you think Axl's a Republican because he supported the first Gulf War, you're way off base.  The support for that war at its height had to be in the 80th% here in the US. 

Hell, I was even stupid enough to fall for the current war, hook, line and sinker!  There were no WMD's, none, Bush and Cheney finally admitted the fact.  It's all about oil...which is now at $53/barrel...a record-high. 

I hope one of the new tunes on Chinese D. is called Smoke and Mirrors, or Hook, Line, and Sinker...a nicely veiled attack on our current government's games.  It would be along the lines of Double-Talkin' Jive Motherfucker. 

PS  Axl aint dumb enough to take sides in a polarized nation.  He is an artist and a businessman.  Axl for prez!   love

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Allman
The Flying Dutchman
Rocker

Rock N' Roll Jesus

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2004, 07:40:36 PM »

Elvis said it best in 1972 at the Hilton press conference, asked about his opinion on the Vietnam war he replied "I rather keep my views for myself, I'm an entertainer".
If only today's artist would do the same...

Elvis has left the building
Thank you and goodnight
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2004, 08:02:31 PM »

Is Slash an American citizen?? Huh As far as I know (according to Snakepit.org) Slash is not into politics he hardly ever voted.

I'm pretty sure he is. I remember him saying he did it so it would be easier to work in america.

Not every War... He supported the Gulf war, and as I remember he even made a rant about it.

From what i've heard he never said he supported the war. From my knowledge he says its wrong not to support america when it is at war. Feel free to prove me wrong tho, my recollection of it is a little hazy.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2004, 08:07:07 PM »

I'm pretty sure he is. I remember him saying he did it so it would be easier to work in america.

Yeah...1996 is when he became an American citizen I believe, meaning he was technically a Brit throughtout his time with Guns.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2004, 08:10:21 PM »

Elvis said it best in 1972 at the Hilton press conference, asked about his opinion on the Vietnam war he replied "I rather keep my views for myself, I'm an entertainer".
If only today's artist would do the same...
It prooves Elvis was an intelligent guy. That's exactly what I said too.
and Jessica for the story of "don't make politic when you left school at 15" it was an image. a way to say that lots of artists should shut up instead of taking themselves for a President or a prime minister and give political advices to their listeners. as we say in french "chacun doit rester ? sa place", "chacun son r?le".?When I buy a record or go to a concert I don't want to know the political point of vue of the artist/or band. I don't care. Cool
a concert is not a political meeting.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 08:15:45 PM by nesquick » Logged

2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2004, 08:18:14 PM »

Yeah...1996 is when he became an American citizen I believe, meaning he was technically a Brit throughtout his time with Guns.

I think there's a video interview with him on the BBC's site where he talks about having dual citizenship
Danny
VIP

I fucked your llama!

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2004, 12:22:03 AM »

Correction:  wives.

Now, back on the "Civil War" thing.  I seem to recall that Duff actually wrote Civil War and that the idea was based on when he was a child and he remembered seeing a big, anti Viet Nam rally.  It really isn't a song about being anti-war in general, and it definately does NOT indicate AXL's opinions regarding the generallity of "war".  With that dopey logic, than Axl also would: 1) have spent time in a coma 2) be neighors with the anti-christ 3) have a mother who is literally nothing but a giant vagina 4) be a medical lab technician who is able to read and decifer a CAT scan machine 5) have once discovered human body parts in his trash recepticle 6) not have his sense of sight 7) have a father who was litterally a fire-arm Cool make his living as a poor-quality produce distributor 9) desire fellatio from music journalists...and 10) have a heart that has not fully matured to his age.

-Banny

Thousands of GNR fans have died waiting for Chinese Democracy to be released.

www.wonderfulworldofdanny.com
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2004, 01:25:15 AM »

Now, back on the "Civil War" thing.? I seem to recall that Duff actually wrote Civil War and that the idea was based on when he was a child and he remembered seeing a big, anti Viet Nam rally.? It really isn't a song about being anti-war in general, and it definately does NOT indicate AXL's opinions regarding the generallity of "war".? With that dopey logic, than Axl also would: 1) have spent time in a coma 2) be neighors with the anti-christ 3) have a mother who is literally nothing but a giant vagina 4) be a medical lab technician who is able to read and decifer a CAT scan machine 5) have once discovered human body parts in his trash recepticle 6) not have his sense of sight 7) have a father who was litterally a fire-arm Cool make his living as a poor-quality produce distributor 9) desire fellatio from music journalists...and 10) have a heart that has not fully matured to his age.

You seem to be confusing a fairly direct message in "Civil War" with literal interpretations of figurative speech in other songs.? Now thats dopey logic, and not as clever as you think.? Comparing Axls earnest recitation of lyrics like "Look at the shoes you're filling/ Look at the blood we're spilling/ Look at the world we're killing/ The way we've always done before" to a line like "I call my mother, shes just a cunt now"?? Are you serious?? Theres no comparison.?

Even if your recollection is correct, and it was Duff who wrote "Civil War" (somehting Ive never heard and have a hard time believing), do you think Axl would deliver such a strong message if he opposed it?

It really isn't a song about being anti-war in general

"Look at your young men dying
The way they've always done before"

"Look at the hate we're breeding
Look at the fear we're feeding
Look at the lives we're leading
The way we've always done before"

"I don't need one more war
What's so civil 'bout war anyway"

Those words sound specific to you? Huh

« Last Edit: October 09, 2004, 01:28:37 AM by Booker Floyd » Logged
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2004, 03:32:47 AM »

? I hope one of the new tunes on Chinese D. is called Smoke and Mirrors, or Hook, Line, and Sinker...a nicely veiled attack on our current government's games.? It would be along the lines of Double-Talkin' Jive Motherfucker.?

PS? Axl aint dumb enough to take sides in a polarized nation.? He is an artist and a businessman.? Axl for prez!? ?love

Aren't you contradicting your argument there?  If Axl writes a song called Smoke and Mirrors attacking our current government, then he would basically be taking sides, right?

Now, back on the "Civil War" thing.  I seem to recall that Duff actually wrote Civil War and that the idea was based on when he was a child and he remembered seeing a big, anti Viet Nam rally.  It really isn't a song about being anti-war in general, and it definately does NOT indicate AXL's opinions regarding the generallity of "war".  With that dopey logic, than Axl also would: 1) have spent time in a coma 2) be neighors with the anti-christ 3) have a mother who is literally nothing but a giant vagina 4) be a medical lab technician who is able to read and decifer a CAT scan machine 5) have once discovered human body parts in his trash recepticle 6) not have his sense of sight 7) have a father who was litterally a fire-arm Cool make his living as a poor-quality produce distributor 9) desire fellatio from music journalists...and 10) have a heart that has not fully matured to his age.

Your argument is flawed, because, as Booker Floyd pointed out, the lyrics are indeed general in nature and seem to attack the whole idea of war.  I mean, it's a true anti-war protest song, in the tradition of Dylan's "Masters Of War".  Technically, I suppose it would be even more timely today than it was in 1991.  But then GN'R might be seen as merely hopping the bandwagon.  After all, there's a million anti-war songs out there right now.  I have to say, though (and I smile when I say this).  Not one of them is as eloquent, as pure, as powerful, as "Civil War".  Now THAT'S how you do an anti-war song.

But like I was saying....your argument is flawed, BUT that was still a pretty funny post.  hihi
SLCPUNK
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2004, 03:39:18 AM »

-Banny

I thought you had to return to the hospital after your pass....

Wife because that is who's money it is.

He was previously married, but that has nothing to do with his money now, or the point I was making.

You may leave now, thanks.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2004, 09:44:02 AM »

With that dopey logic, than Axl also would: 1) have spent time in a coma

Did you see the Famous Last Words episode on MTV back in 1990?

2) be neighors with the anti-christ

He was arrested thanks to his neighbor.

5) have once discovered human body parts in his trash recepticle

I think he mentioned what that line in Double Talkin' Jive is about at the show on August 16th 1991. Somebody found body parts in a garbage can outside the recording studio....

/jarmo

Captain Obvious
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2004, 05:22:52 PM »

Musicians, epsecially rockers should stay the fuck away from politics. Honestly, let the people decide for who they want to vote for, I don't give a shit about celebrity's opinions on global issues and neither should other people. You vote for a candidate based on what you believe, not what some guy thinks. If you have no opinion, then don't vote, but thanks to the musicians who feel its their personal need to ram their opinions down others' throats, we have people voting for someone because Avril or Eminem says so, neutralizing the votes of people who are actually knowlegeable.

Edit: By the way, if you did not finish highschool, that doesn't mean you do not have a right to vote, since you may be as intelligent as the person next to you. But you don't have the right to skew the opinions of masses by playing a few chords on tv.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2004, 05:27:41 PM by Captain Obvious » Logged
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2004, 05:36:12 PM »

Musicians, epsecially rockers should stay the fuck away from politics. Honestly, let the people decide for who they want to vote for, I don't give a shit about celebrity's opinions on global issues and neither should other people. You vote for a candidate based on what you believe, not what some guy thinks.

ok

Right on....so really, artists shouldnt give opinions on anything, period.  We dont need them telling us what they think! 

Roll Eyes
Captain Obvious
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2004, 05:58:17 PM »

Musicians, epsecially rockers should stay the fuck away from politics. Honestly, let the people decide for who they want to vote for, I don't give a shit about celebrity's opinions on global issues and neither should other people. You vote for a candidate based on what you believe, not what some guy thinks.

ok

Right on....so really, artists shouldnt give opinions on anything, period.  We dont need them telling us what they think! 

Roll Eyes

Yeah, why don't we even generalize it some more.  We are talking about politics, elections and global changes. Does a traditional rock song (about drugs/booze/love/etc.) make thousands of people vote for the future leader of the world because some guy told you to do so?

Doc Emmett Brown
First Porn on Mars
Legend

up and away

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2004, 07:24:28 PM »

Your argument is flawed, because, as Booker Floyd pointed out, the lyrics are indeed general in nature and seem to attack the whole idea of war.  I mean, it's a true anti-war protest song, in the tradition of Dylan's "Masters Of War".  Technically, I suppose it would be even more timely today than it was in 1991.  But then GN'R might be seen as merely hopping the bandwagon.  After all, there's a million anti-war songs out there right now.  I have to say, though (and I smile when I say this).  Not one of them is as eloquent, as pure, as powerful, as "Civil War".  Now THAT'S how you do an anti-war song.

That song is definitely one of my favorites.   Now, I assume that Axl wrote the lyrics with the rest of the band, therefore the feelings the song evokes are shared by all the band members. 

When I was young, I didnt think the lyrics were expressing a general anti-war feeling.  I thought it was limited to civil wars in which people fight their 'own kind' so to speak.   But, if the band was indeed lamenting that all wars result from failure to communicate, then that's fine.   I dont have a problem with artists expressing their political views through their creative work.

My political views have been shaped by many factors:
Parents and friends.
Newspaper articles and journals.
The pundits on the TV and radio.
Countless websites, and infamous sites like the Drudge Report.
Music and movies.   There are many great anti-war songs and movies about the Vietnam era that have really affected me such as  'Apocalypse Now'.   

So if Axl, or Springsteen or anyone else publicly voices his political opinions, there's no reason for me to tell him stay the fuck out of politics because I'm not so stupid as to be swayed by any one particular influence.

Through a shattered city, watched by laser eyes
overhead the night squad glides
the decaying paradise
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2004, 07:32:01 PM »

Just for the record, Rhiad is not a name, it is actually spelled wrong. The real spelling is Riyadh, and it is the capital of Saudi Arabia.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2004, 08:51:06 PM »

Yeah, why don't we even generalize it some more.? We are talking about politics, elections and global changes. Does a traditional rock song (about drugs/booze/love/etc.) make thousands of people vote for the future leader of the world because some guy told you to do so?

No, and neither does an artist expressing their political ideas.  Its not making anybody vote.  If the ideas they express resonate with a viewer/listener, then its certainly their prerogative to use them when it comes to deciding whom to vote for.   That logic isnt much different from wanting to censor movies or music because it might provoke violence.  Beuce Springsteen, or even Toby Keith, shouldnt keep their mouths shut because there might be people stupid enough to disregard their own beliefs to vote for the candidate those artists endorse.

Sure, it can be annoying to hear the star of some NBC sitcom sharing their views on politics, but who cares?  Thats how they feel obviously, and they should be free to share it. 
estranged.1098
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2004, 12:48:40 AM »

Musicians, epsecially rockers should stay the fuck away from politics. Honestly, let the people decide for who they want to vote for, I don't give a shit about celebrity's opinions on global issues and neither should other people. You vote for a candidate based on what you believe, not what some guy thinks. If you have no opinion, then don't vote, but thanks to the musicians who feel its their personal need to ram their opinions down others' throats, we have people voting for someone because Avril or Eminem says so, neutralizing the votes of people who are actually knowlegeable.

Edit: By the way, if you did not finish highschool, that doesn't mean you do not have a right to vote, since you may be as intelligent as the person next to you. But you don't have the right to skew the opinions of masses by playing a few chords on tv.

I don't think you know how anti-democratic that post is.
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2004, 02:42:11 AM »

Bad Ass I just learned something new about Rhiad and the B's.  Good song, good thing to reflect on and write about.  I'm starting to think CD will be even better then even I expect.
gnr157
Headliner

Goodnight Tonight

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2004, 02:49:47 AM »

I'm pulling this from memory....but I think on the indiana boot Axl says that anybody with half a brain wasn't to thrilled about going to war (Irag I) but that once we are at war you are a fuckin' asshole if you don't root for our side.  That sounds strongly in support of the troops...but not necessarly supportive of War in general.

Civil War is definitely an Anti war song....I think it would be hard to argue otherwise. 

And I've never understood why people bash celeberities, artists, or anyone for expressing their political beliefs...  And I think when artists like springsteen and co. take stands on issues, especially political issues, that it is increasingly important to society as a whole.  Springsteen has always paid attention to working class American...and in an election year when one party is trying to hose the working class by offering false security, greater tax cuts for the wealthiest people, and sending working class kids to die in another country to secure oil fields...springsteen and moveon.org are trying to INFORM people that have put a little too much faith into the current administration.  It's like Britany Spears in Farenheit 9/11- when she says we should just trust the president....and let him lead...well she don't give a fuck about the people that are buying her albums... and why should she?, and springsteen could sit in the same company...but he does give a fuck about the people that have been listening to his music for the last 25 years....it's not corporate trend music...it rock n' roll and it has a point and relevance to history to freedom and to indvidual happiness.  Artists that stand against rotten politicians see that the people that have helped make their careers possible (avegage working class folk) are getting fucked by greedy politicians...and some have decieded to do something about it instead of playing it safe just so they don't fuck up their careers.  I applaud these artists.  They are not pushing their politics to make money.....if they were they would be all supporting bush because I'm sure they fall into tax bracket of plus 200,00 dollars a year.  They see injustice and they are doing something about it.  This, in this day and age, is what makes democracy look good.  For people (mainly american citizens) that aren't paying attention....this is one of the most important elections in presidental history....And we have an adminstration that has been exceptionally negligent and that has greatly tarnished American freedom.  We have an administration that has no regrets and that has not apoplogized for one thing, despite admitting that they sent Americans to die in another country based on false information...they have deceived the American public into believing that Saddam had a link to Bin Landen's Terroist cells (polls have shown that 42% of Americans still believe that) while rolling back civil liberities and abusing iraqi prisoners on an international stage. 

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2004, 03:04:23 AM »

I'm pulling this from memory....but I think on the indiana boot Axl says that anybody with half a brain wasn't to thrilled about going to war (Irag I) but that once we are at war you are a fuckin' asshole if you don't root for our side.? That sounds strongly in support of the troops...but not necessarly supportive of War in general.

Civil War is definitely an Anti war song....I think it would be hard to argue otherwise.?

And I've never understood why people bash celeberities, artists, or anyone for expressing their political beliefs...? And I think when artists like springsteen and co. take stands on issues, especially political issues, that it is increasingly important to society as a whole.? Springsteen has always paid attention to working class American...and in an election year when one party is trying to hose the working class by offering false security, greater tax cuts for the wealthiest people, and sending working class kids to die in another country to secure oil fields...springsteen and moveon.org are trying to INFORM people that have put a little too much faith into the current administration.? It's like Britany Spears in Farenheit 9/11- when she says we should just trust the president....and let him lead...well she don't give a fuck about the people that are buying her albums... and why should she?, and springsteen could sit in the same company...but he does give a fuck about the people that have been listening to his music for the last 25 years....it's not corporate trend music...it rock n' roll and it has a point and relevance to history to freedom and to indvidual happiness.? Artists that stand against rotten politicians see that the people that have helped make their careers possible (avegage working class folk) are getting fucked by greedy politicians...and some have decieded to do something about it instead of playing it safe just so they don't fuck up their careers.? I applaud these artists.? They are not pushing their politics to make money.....if they were they would be all supporting bush because I'm sure they fall into tax bracket of plus 200,00 dollars a year.? They see injustice and they are doing something about it.? This, in this day and age, is what makes democracy look good.? For people (mainly american citizens) that aren't paying attention....this is one of the most important elections in presidental history....And we have an adminstration that has been exceptionally negligent and that has greatly tarnished American freedom.? We have an administration that has no regrets and that has not apoplogized for one thing, despite admitting that they sent Americans to die in another country based on false information...they have deceived the American public into believing that Saddam had a link to Bin Landen's Terroist cells (polls have shown that 42% of Americans still believe that) while rolling back civil liberities and abusing iraqi prisoners on an international stage.?

yes

Good post...
POPmetal
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2004, 05:04:16 AM »

I hope Axl and/or Slash never have to resort to shilling for politicians in order to revive an ailing career. That's what this is about. Almost all of those "political" artists are has beens. What does that tell you?

I'd rather see artists get attention by being creative instead.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 05:11:50 AM by POPmetal » Logged
takeshi
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2004, 08:41:27 AM »

I'm pulling this from memory....but I think on the indiana boot Axl says that anybody with half a brain wasn't to thrilled about going to war (Irag I) but that once we are at war you are a fuckin' asshole if you don't root for our side.? That sounds strongly in support of the troops...but not necessarly supportive of War in general.

Civil War is definitely an Anti war song....I think it would be hard to argue otherwise.?

And I've never understood why people bash celeberities, artists, or anyone for expressing their political beliefs...? And I think when artists like springsteen and co. take stands on issues, especially political issues, that it is increasingly important to society as a whole.? Springsteen has always paid attention to working class American...and in an election year when one party is trying to hose the working class by offering false security, greater tax cuts for the wealthiest people, and sending working class kids to die in another country to secure oil fields...springsteen and moveon.org are trying to INFORM people that have put a little too much faith into the current administration.? It's like Britany Spears in Farenheit 9/11- when she says we should just trust the president....and let him lead...well she don't give a fuck about the people that are buying her albums... and why should she?, and springsteen could sit in the same company...but he does give a fuck about the people that have been listening to his music for the last 25 years....it's not corporate trend music...it rock n' roll and it has a point and relevance to history to freedom and to indvidual happiness.? Artists that stand against rotten politicians see that the people that have helped make their careers possible (avegage working class folk) are getting fucked by greedy politicians...and some have decieded to do something about it instead of playing it safe just so they don't fuck up their careers.? I applaud these artists.? They are not pushing their politics to make money.....if they were they would be all supporting bush because I'm sure they fall into tax bracket of plus 200,00 dollars a year.? .? This, in this day and age, is what makes democracy look good.? For people (mainly american citizens) that aren't paying attention....this is one of the most important elections in presidental history....And we have an adminstration that has been exceptionally negligent and that has greatly tarnished American freedom.? We have an administration that has no regrets and that has not apoplogized for one thing, despite admitting that they sent Americans to die in another country based on false information...they have deceived the American public into believing that Saddam had a link to Bin Landen's Terroist cells (polls have shown that 42% of Americans still believe that) while rolling back civil liberities and abusing iraqi prisoners on an international stage.?

What the hell does springsteen know about the plight of "the working man", he's a multi millionaire who only gets anywhere near ordinary people when they pay inflated ticket prices to here him singing his 30 year old songs and he bitches about playing "born to run".  He cheated on his wife and then left her for his backing singer.  He spilt up the E street band for a while because his ego couldn't take them getting any attention.  Moveon.org is a parisan group that isn't trying to inform anyone, there motives are not that idealistic, they are a front of the democratic party.  They tell the lies so that Kerry can keep his hands clean.

You claim that Bush only offered tax cuts to the wealthy.  Firstly the tax cuts that the President brought in were for everyone.  Every working family in America benefited from these tax cuts and the Clinton appointed president of the federal reserve, Alan Greenspan said that these tax cuts helped reduced the impact of the recession that began under clinton.  You are also laboring under the mistaken impression that any family which earns more than $200,00 a year is rich.  Me and my wife and many other hard working families fall into that category and we're not incredibly wealthy.  I work hard to earn my money and I want to keep as much of it as I can.

You seem to also believe that the military operations in Iraq were for the purposes of securing the oil fields.  If that was the sole objective then why are we fighting in fallujah, sammara and sadr city.  If we just wanted the oil we could have seized the fields and left the animals in fallujah to kill each other.

There may be some questions over Saddam's connection to Al Qaeda but he had very public connections to other terrorist groups.  He publicly announced his financial support of the families of homicide bombers who had murdered Israelis.

Saddam Hussein was a blood thirsty tyrant who spent thirty years murderering and torturing his own people at a rate of around 10,000 a year.  The left wingers spent this time asking why someone wasn't doing something about him.  Well, something has been done and now saddam is sitting in a prision cell awaiting the justice he denied to so many and still the lefties bitch and moan.
Doc Emmett Brown
First Porn on Mars
Legend

up and away

« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2004, 02:13:25 PM »

Well, what if they expressed their political opinions creatively?? Would you have a problem with that?? In the long run, it is more meaningful than playing partisan politics for one particular election.? The song will remain, and the election will be forgotten.

I believe it was Ted Koppel who interviewed Springsteen about his tour - and he asked several pertinent questions such as: Are you actually going to change anyone's mind about the election, or just piss a lot of people off?? ?I personally dont think it will change anyone's mind - the people likely to attend are already against Bush anyway.? They're just going to get a concert out of it.? That's why I dont have a problem with the Vote for Change tour.

The biggest reason people seem to be giving for wanting celebrities to remain non-partisan is that they are afraid that the 'masses' will be influenced by the celebrity's opinion.? I'm not that stupid, and I would like to believe that others are not like that as well.? If people really are that stupid, then censuring musicians and artists is the worst thing possible.? It is usually through those mediums that people (even stupid ones) discover their ideas and motivation.

Through a shattered city, watched by laser eyes
overhead the night squad glides
the decaying paradise
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2004, 03:27:06 PM »

The majority of British and European punk bands are/were famous/notorious for their political messages. Sometimes that?s what they?re all about. And they?re nowhere near the has-beens.

Like for many of you, musicians political views never affect mine or my musical preference.
So as far as they keep their art for art?s sake not for politics, I?m easy. Or rather I?m fairly curious about GNR members opinions.

They should have their say. 
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2004, 07:38:22 PM »

Moveon.org is a parisan group that isn't trying to inform anyone, there motives are not that idealistic, they are a front of the democratic party.? They tell the lies so that Kerry can keep his hands clean.

Oh, you mean like swiftboat veterans for bush?  Or pro-life groups that want to tell a raped 14 year old girl she can't have an abortion?  There are distortionists on both sides.

You are also laboring under the mistaken impression that any family which earns more than $200,000 a year is rich.? Me and my wife and many other hard working families fall into that category and we're not incredibly wealthy.? I work hard to earn my money and I want to keep as much of it as I can.

Excuse me???  What are you smoking???  If you don't think your family income of $200,000+ is defined as wealthy, you are about as well-informed as our current president.  You probably take home 5 times more money than the average household in the U.S.  Awww, and now you won't be getting extra tax cuts, pardon me if I don't shed a tear. 

You seem to also believe that the military operations in Iraq were for the purposes of securing the oil fields.? If that was the sole objective then why are we fighting in fallujah, sammara and sadr city.? If we just wanted the oil we could have seized the fields and left the animals in fallujah to kill each other.

Beautiful, now you refer to Iraqi fighters as "animals."  Also, let's see, the first Ministry in Iraq secured was hmmm, what was it again??  Oh yeah, the Oil Ministry. 

There may be some questions over Saddam's connection to Al Qaeda but he had very public connections to other terrorist groups.? He publicly announced his financial support of the families of homicide bombers who had murdered Israelis.

How about Iran, Syria, Saudi Arabia, North Korea, Libya, China, (I could name about 10 more nations with just as oppressive leaders who have ties to terrorism).  Do we invade all of them next???  Iran and Syria have even more direct ties to suicide bombers, do we take them out next??

Saddam Hussein was a blood thirsty tyrant who spent thirty years murderering and torturing his own people at a rate of around 10,000 a year.? The left wingers spent this time asking why someone wasn't doing something about him.? Well, something has been done and now saddam is sitting in a prision cell awaiting the justice he denied to so many and still the lefties bitch and moan.

Listen to yourself...for 30 years!!!  For God's sake, for half of those 30 years he was one of our (the U.S. that is) closest allies in the 1980's!  Yes, that was AFTER he gassed the Kurds.  Yes, that was with what we would call a weapon of mass destruction.  Right-winger Ronnie Reagan was more than happy to supply Saddam with $ and weapons.  Where were you in the '80's??  I'm going to guess it wasn't trying to rally support to topple the brutal Saddam.  Roll Eyes   

Now, to get back on topic...unfortunately 90% of the time this following statement is true.  Those who don't like entertainers speaking their political minds are Bush suporters, while those who support the artists' expressions of political issues are anti-Bush.  Slash is obviously supporting Kerry...and does anyone honestly think Axl would show up on time to the voting booth?  Also, after having been seen in public fewer times than Elvis in the past few years, do you honestly think he'd be out voting?  Like most people, he probably doesn't like either of these guys.  (I do wish he'd vote for the lesser of 2 evils though Wink)

Sincerely,
Axl4Prez2004  peace

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Captain Obvious
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2004, 08:01:40 PM »

Yeah, why don't we even generalize it some more.  We are talking about politics, elections and global changes. Does a traditional rock song (about drugs/booze/love/etc.) make thousands of people vote for the future leader of the world because some guy told you to do so?

No, and neither does an artist expressing their political ideas.  Its not making anybody vote.  If the ideas they express resonate with a viewer/listener, then its certainly their prerogative to use them when it comes to deciding whom to vote for.   That logic isnt much different from wanting to censor movies or music because it might provoke violence.  Beuce Springsteen, or even Toby Keith, shouldnt keep their mouths shut because there might be people stupid enough to disregard their own beliefs to vote for the candidate those artists endorse.

Sure, it can be annoying to hear the star of some NBC sitcom sharing their views on politics, but who cares?  Thats how they feel obviously, and they should be free to share it. 

No, your analogy of violence in movies doesn't fit. What is the sole reason why these stars make their political opinions so public? I can see a musician putting a song on the record on which they write about their views on pilitics, but people go much further.  What is the point of playing at the party conventions, or organizing pro-party concerts, or appearing in tv ads promoting a candidate? Is it because the artists just wants to let everyone know how they feel? The whole purpose is to convert those who are unsure about who they are going to vote for, those who are on the fence, with a little appeal.

If we wanted opinions, why not have an unknown author tell us a bit, why not a political science analyst or professor? Why not some guy who works at a grocery store? Because the purose isn't to share opinions, the purpose is to appeal to and influence the masses, no matter how educated or uneducated your opinion may be.

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2004, 09:05:04 PM »

I can see a musician putting a song on the record on which they write about their views on pilitics, but people go much further.? What is the point of playing at the party conventions, or organizing pro-party concerts, or appearing in tv ads promoting a candidate?

Okay, so you dont have a problem with musicians expressing political views, but actual political activism?

Is it because the artists just wants to let everyone know how they feel? The whole purpose is to convert those who are unsure about who they are going to vote for, those who are on the fence, with a little appeal.

Thats not the whole purpose.? Its also to motivate those who share similar beliefs.? And its exposing their ideas to those who dont...call it "tring to convert" if you want, but the bottom line is that theyre not making anybody vote that doesnt want to.?

Do you actually believe people are taking the trouble to register and vote without supporting the actual candidate in some capacity?

If we wanted opinions, why not have an unknown author tell us a bit, why not a political science analyst or professor? Why not some guy who works at a grocery store? Because the purose isn't to share opinions, the purpose is to appeal to and influence the masses, no matter how educated or uneducated your opinion may be.

Well thats political activism, and why shouldnt artists that are passionate about their beliefs partake in it?? If an artist is passionate about change, or lack thereof, they should shut up because theyre musicans?? Its their prerogative to put their beliefs out there, and its the fans prerogative to listen.?

And what do you mean "Why not an author...?"? We get their opinions too.? We gets analysts opinions.? And we get regular peoples opinions as well.? But we shouldnt get an artists opinion...after all, art isnt about the expression of ideas or anything.?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 09:10:52 PM by Booker Floyd » Logged
gnr157
Headliner

Goodnight Tonight

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2004, 09:16:37 PM »

What the hell does springsteen know about the plight of "the working man", he's a multi millionaire who only gets anywhere near ordinary people when they pay inflated ticket prices to here him singing his 30 year old songs and he bitches about playing "born to run".? He cheated on his wife and then left her for his backing singer.? He spilt up the E street band for a while because his ego couldn't take them getting any attention.? Moveon.org is a parisan group that isn't trying to inform anyone, there motives are not that idealistic, they are a front of the democratic party.? They tell the lies so that Kerry can keep his hands clean.

You claim that Bush only offered tax cuts to the wealthy.? Firstly the tax cuts that the President brought in were for everyone.? Every working family in America benefited from these tax cuts and the Clinton appointed president of the federal reserve, Alan Greenspan said that these tax cuts helped reduced the impact of the recession that began under clinton.? You are also laboring under the mistaken impression that any family which earns more than $200,00 a year is rich.? Me and my wife and many other hard working families fall into that category and we're not incredibly wealthy.? I work hard to earn my money and I want to keep as much of it as I can.

You seem to also believe that the military operations in Iraq were for the purposes of securing the oil fields.? If that was the sole objective then why are we fighting in fallujah, sammara and sadr city.? If we just wanted the oil we could have seized the fields and left the animals in fallujah to kill each other.

There may be some questions over Saddam's connection to Al Qaeda but he had very public connections to other terrorist groups.? He publicly announced his financial support of the families of homicide bombers who had murdered Israelis.

Saddam Hussein was a blood thirsty tyrant who spent thirty years murderering and torturing his own people at a rate of around 10,000 a year.? The left wingers spent this time asking why someone wasn't doing something about him.? Well, something has been done and now saddam is sitting in a prision cell awaiting the justice he denied to so many and still the lefties bitch and moan.

What does Springsteen know about the plight of the working class?
"This Hard Land" "Thunder Road" "Born in the USA" "Glory Days" ....and the list goes on.? These are songs that all reflect working class experiences (I'm not claiming that springsteen is working class, but incredibily insightful and thoughtful to be able to write from this perspective). And the fact that Springsteen is a Multimillionare and that he is taking a stand against the current adminsitration is in itself impressive.? He could sit by and be idle and ingore the injustices occuring....and grow richer...or he can try and? use his fame and influence to work towards correcting the injustices towards the working class.?

"He cheated on his wife and then left her for his backing singer"
Infieldilty is a human condition...rich or poor, republican or democrat, white or black...it doesn't matter.

"You are also laboring under the mistaken impression that any family which earns more than $200,00 a year is rich.? Me and my wife and many other hard working families fall into that category and we're not incredibly wealthy.? I work hard to earn my money and I want to keep as much of it as I can".

I once read that the povery gap in America is a result of the poor man's envy and the rich man's greed...your statment seems to have traces of both.? The idea that if you keep working and keep enough money...you will someday be able to afford leisure time to pursue your interest.s..it's the flaw of effiency.? We live in a society of want...and for some people no matter how much they have or how much better they may have it then their neighbor...they always want MORE.? Well a piece of liberal rhetoric...it's better to live richly than to die rich.? $200,000 dollars a year is wealthy in America...I make it on less than 20,000 a year...and have no problem giving what I can to DFA? or the kerry Campaign because it's for a just cause.? I also like to think that I live well.? It may have taken a little while to pay for the $300 01/01/01 Gnr HOB ticket...but it was worth every fuckin' cent.?

"You seem to also believe that the military operations in Iraq were for the purposes of securing the oil fields.? If that was the sole objective then why are we fighting in fallujah, sammara and sadr city.? If we just wanted the oil we could have seized the fields and left the animals in fallujah to kill each other"

The Republicans have flip flopped on the justification for the Iraq war so many times that I think they are not even sure why we invaded? Iraq in the first place.? And calling human beings in Fallujah Animals is incredibly shallow and ethnocentric.? Thinking that America is trying to free Iraqi's is also absurd...who are we? meaning America...to think that we can police the world and make the assumption that our democracy is so great that it should be spread through out the world...by violence if necessary.? We have poverty, a war on drugs that is a collosal failure, racism, unemployment, 28,000 children die a year in our country because of inadequate health care, a prison system that takes non-violent offenders and turns them into harden criminals...etc.? Myabe before we try and force or way of government on a different culture...we should focus on correcting the injustices within.....starting with a corrupt administration....one that has made our constitution look like a fucking joke.? One that has disgraced American Honor and the basic principles of freedom.? And one that has given terroist leaders years of anti American recruitment material....

There is also this issue of people saying that celeberites shouldn't speak out on politics because they are not qualified intelletuals...well what qualifys them? (the naysayers) to say who can and can't share their political views...it's hypocritical and lacks any logic whatsoever.? Just because you like someone's music or art, but your self serving politcs differ flrom them doesn't make it just to say that they shouldn't have intellectual or political voice..it doesn't change the validity of their statements.?

As far as Axl goes...Tommy recently said that CD will have some social commentary....it will be interesting to see what Axl thinks or even if he does try and say anthing of any political improtance.?

xPhoeniX
Headliner

sh*t

« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2004, 10:12:24 PM »

I dont care if these artists are putting their political views off on their audiences.  I'm just not going to be a part of that audience.
   If i wanna hear about politics I'll stay home and research the facts myself, instead of absorbing their biased opinions.  Usually people that preech politics to people do it for the sole purpose of promoting their own agengas.  They tell the people what they want them to believe.     If u want to form ur own opinion..  look up the FACTS, from unbiased sources.

unfortunately most people believe everything they hear/

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2004, 10:51:36 PM »

This whole thing is such a joke.  If I am an actor or big time musician, the last thing I am going to do is start ranting about politics or religion.  Those two items divide so many people.  If you are pro Kerry, then the Bush supporters may lose interest.  It is really a no win situation.  And, for the most part, they don't know what the hell they are talking about.  Kerry and Bush are both pretty terrible.  But whatever.  I just feel that actors and muscians just talk out of their ass a lot and a lot of people are influenced by what they say.  Like this Puff Daddy kick, "Vote or Die."  What the fock are they voting for?  Cause puffy says vote?  Most of Puffy's fans don't know what the fock is going on?Huh  Why would I want to incourage a dumb ass to vote in the most important election in the world? 
POPmetal
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2004, 11:10:54 PM »

Well, what if they expressed their political opinions creatively?? Would you have a problem with that?? In the long run, it is more meaningful than playing partisan politics for one particular election.? The song will remain, and the election will be forgotten.

Just for the record, I don't have a "problem" with artists being political. Most people aren't dumb enough to be influence by them. It's sad when artists lose creativity and try to gain attention by shilling for politicians. That's about as UNrock n' roll as it gets! And it's really fucked up how MTV plays the shit out of just about anything with a left-wing message, even if it sucks ass (for the record, before somebody tries to take what I say out of context, I'm not saying everything with a left-wing message sucks). That's just another way in which eMpTyV has contributed to the demise of good music.
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2004, 12:30:03 AM »

I hope Axl and/or Slash never have to resort to shilling for politicians in order to revive an ailing career. That's what this is about. Almost all of those "political" artists are has beens. What does that tell you?

You might like this story from the pages of The Onion.... hihi

http://www.theonion.com/news/index.php?issue=4040

IRRELEVANT POP STARS UNITE AGAINST BUSH

LOS ANGELES?In an effort to motivate Americans to go to the polls on Nov. 2, a coalition of irrelevant pop stars is winding up a 36-city tour that will culminate in a concert on Oct. 11 in Washington, D.C.

"The Vote For Change tour has been put together by a wide cross-section of artists with one purpose: to remove Bush from office," said Stone Gossard, whose band Pearl Jam enjoyed popularity during the grunge phase of the early to mid-'90s. "Not everyone here is pro-Kerry, but everyone here agrees that Bush has to go. Just rocking the vote isn't enough. You've gotta rock for change."

Pearl Jam will share the stage with such onetime chart-toppers as Jackson Browne, John Fogerty, and Crosby, Stills & Nash.

"I can't let this election take place without knowing I fought as hard as I could for a more compassionate leader," 51-year-old John Mellencamp said. "If playing my 1986 hit 'R.O.C.K. In The U.S.A.' at the Hancher Auditorium in Iowa City will dissuade people from voting for Bush, then I'm going to do it."

The Vote For Change bill contains a wide range of artists whose actual relationship with American politics remains unclear. Rock group R.E.M., blues artist Bonnie Raitt, and the country group Dixie Chicks will join R&B artists such as Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds, co-founder of LaFace Records, which released the Bodyguard soundtrack.

"I couldn't ignore all the bad that's going on," said Edmonds, who co-wrote Bobby Brown's 1992 single "Humpin' Around." "I had to do my part to stop all the... bad things."

Rounding out the bill are such lesser-known indie artists as 24-year-old singer-songwriter Conor Oberst (a.k.a. Bright Eyes), and Seattle-based rock band Death Cab For Cutie.

"Bush is fucking evil," said Nick Harmer, bassist for Death Cab For Cutie. "The economy is for shit, and we're stuck in this unjust war that he lied about to get us to agree to. Me and the other guys in the band wanted to do something real to get him out of office. We were like, 'We gotta do a concert.'"

David Corn, Washington, D.C. editor of The Nation, said he appreciated the musicians' efforts.

"It's really great to get more young people involved in politics, and if Keb Mo singing 'This Land Is Your Land' helps, so be it," Corn said. "Of course, in addition to watching MTV to find out what Moby has to say about Bush, you could watch C-SPAN, or even visit the candidates' web sites. You're probably not going to learn a lot about the candidates' positions on Social Security reform by listening to Dave Matthews gas on while his bassist tunes up."

After being informed of the existence of the Vote For Change tour, Bush campaign manager Ken Mehlman called it "a cute idea."

"It's wonderful that these singers are getting involved," Mehlman said. "While I respectfully disagree with Tracy Chapman and Sheryl Crow's opinion of our president, I think it's great that they're doing something with their time."

Concert organizers said the show, with its extraordinary lineup of soft-rock artists, is getting a boost in ticket sales from an unexpected demographic. John Linner of Orlando, FL is one of the tens of thousands of registered Republicans planning to attend a Vote For Change concert.

"It's going to be kind of annoying, with all the liberal bullshit between sets, but I can't imagine missing this kind of line-up," Linner said. "R.E.M. is a little weird, except for that one song, 'Shiny Happy People.' But how many times do you get a chance to see a tour that has Springsteen and John Fogerty?"

Similar in spirit to Vote For Change, Rock Against Bush is a concert tour created by NOFX vocalist and bassist Fat Mike to mobilize voters against the president.

"We're psyched to have Strike Anywhere, Anti-Flag, and Bouncing Souls on board," Fat Mike said, naming acts a few people might recognize as punk bands. "We're especially hoping we pull in some audience members who are older than 17, so they can vote."

Rock Against Bush publicist Donna Wolff said campaign-related concerts are "an important way for musicians to express their political views."

"Contrary to what many people think, rock artists want to be involved," Wolff said. "While some of the musicians billed on our tour can't even name the U.S Secretary of Health and Human Services, or list more than two Bush policies they oppose, they all know the difference between right and wrong."
POPmetal
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2004, 01:06:33 AM »

Thanks Mattman, that story was a riot   rofl
John Fogerty Roll Eyes hihi
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2004, 07:49:18 AM »

Everythings pretty much of topic here anyway so...good luck USA with getting rid of that christian fundmendalist and greedy oil warlord of yours ok

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
GregMan
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2004, 08:26:09 PM »

To say Axl would support Kerry because Tommy Stinson does, is pretty stupid. It is possible to be friends with people who do not share the same political views. But that seems to be the way some peoplethink. Anyway, everyone's entitled to their opinion. I have many Democratic friends and our discusions are entertaining.
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2004, 02:49:34 AM »

By the way, if in america an actor can become president ( reagan) and another actore becomes governor of California, i don't think artists, evne if they left school at 15, should shut up.
Arnold isn't actor,he is something like briney spirs,commercial work
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2004, 05:00:08 PM »

Everythings pretty much of topic here anyway so...good luck USA with getting rid of that christian fundmendalist and greedy oil warlord of yours ok

We don`t have great choices for the election. The other guy is promising us that he has a plan to solve all of our problems and no concrete way to pay for it. While Bush is in trouble with Iraq, Kerry is jerking us off telling us what we want to hear.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2004, 07:53:39 PM »

yes
POPmetal
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2004, 04:36:01 AM »

This is so pathetic! Kerry's wife reported earning $5.07 million dollars in 2003 on her IRS 1040 form on which she paid a federal tax rate of only 12.4%. That's actually less than what the middle class is paying. And this guys says that he'll raise taxes on the rich and stick up for the middle class hihi
YEah, big deal if you raise taxes on the rich as long as they are able to take advantage of loopholes and still pay less than the rest of us! And Duff is upholding these hypocrites? Roll Eyes It just shows how clueless he is. Both candidates are full of it. One was born with a silver spoon and the other married one. I don't think there's anything to commend here.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 04:39:46 AM by POPmetal » Logged
gnrvrrule
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2004, 08:58:51 PM »

Although I disagree with Duff on this one, he has his right, and at least he's not ranting and raving like many of the other musicians and artists.  He's keeping it cool while showing his support for his candidate of choice.  Overall, these musicians certainly have the right to do what they're doing, but I don't buy their true motives one bit.  I honestly don't think that they have enough interest (as in, how their lives will change following the election) in the election; I believe many of these guys are doing this for publicity and money.  They don't like Bush, and so they are going out and making big bucks to try to get him out of the White House.  Again, it's their right, but I don't agree with it; I think (like Alice Cooper recently said), music and politics should be mostly separate, because music is an escape from reality in many ways. 
       As for Axl and Slash, I think Slash would support Kerry and Axl most likely Bush.  Axl has done some extremely right-wing things (One in a Million, defended Iraqi war in 1991, talks about people taking your hard earned money) and some left-wing things (talked about how gov't was denying access to AIDS treatment, said MLK Jr. day should be a holiday, and criticized gov't in Garden of Eden).  Overall, I don't think he'd vote at all and is probably non-partisan, but he seems to be the type of guy that would support us freeing people across the world, as Bush has done.  Slash seems mostly unpolitical, but I think he's a Kerry-type.  JMO.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: