Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:30:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227811 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Springsteen is supporting Kerry. What about Axl & Slash ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Springsteen is supporting Kerry. What about Axl & Slash ?  (Read 26466 times)
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2004, 02:43:38 PM »

I think its good that musicians keep out of politics

I totally agree. Music and policy are two different things. Besides, Axl Rose is an American citizen and he may have his own personal politic point of vue, and it's his personal life. Who cares? I mean the man is here to make music, this is his passion and his job .
Endly, here in France there are a lots of artists who speak about policy, most of them are ultra-communist stupid persons (you know the "artists" think they will "change the world" and blablabla...), and they really say bullshits when they speak about policy. They'd better make good music and do their job instead of speacking about what they don't know. On top of that, they are not very intelligent persons, when you stoped school at 15 you shouldn't speak about policy, it's for intelligent people.
What a F**king stupid thing to say!  In america all people regardless of education, have the right to voice their opinions on matters that might affect them personally.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2004, 02:52:16 PM »

Tommy hates Bush, he called him 'a lousy president' , and Jesse Malin went even further and called him 'a fucking nazi! hihi peace

There's an expression that goes sort of like this....tell me who your friends are and I'll tell you who are''....

well...if Tommy is friends with Axl.....Id say axl hates Bush as well...lets remember AXL 2004 is not the little redneck hick from indiana anymore...he has travelled the world, educated him self, known people,? 'I bet a lot of people in here didnt know what 'rhiad and the bedouins'' was all about...

What's so civil about war anyway? smoking

So what are you saying?

It sounds like your saying that Republicans aren't educated?

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
SLCPUNK
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2004, 02:58:57 PM »

Well if only the intellectual should talk about world affairs we should shut down the jungle.... hihi

Also everybody plays a role in life. Some are lawyers, carpenters, students, rock stars whatever, and they all have political opinions. The only difference is the rock star has access to a mic and none of us do. We'd do the same thing, it's natural to take advantage of that position to promote what you believe in. You promote what you believe in on this MB do you not? Well.....

BTW most of our government leaders, probably all are wealthy. We are a nation for the rich, run by the rich.

And Kerry's money comes from his wife.......
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2004, 03:35:37 PM »

I think its good that musicians keep out of politics

I totally agree. Music and policy are two different things. Besides, Axl Rose is an American citizen and he may have his own personal politic point of vue, and it's his personal life. Who cares? I mean the man is here to make music, this is his passion and his job .
Endly, here in France there are a lots of artists who speak about policy, most of them are ultra-communist stupid persons (you know the "artists" think they will "change the world" and blablabla...), and they really say bullshits when they speak about policy. They'd better make good music and do their job instead of speacking about what they don't know. On top of that, they are not very intelligent persons, when you stoped school at 15 you shouldn't speak about policy, it's for intelligent people.

I left school at 15, have a " bac +3" today, read over 10.000 books on very different matters ( from calculations about weather forecast to history to recent history of the israeli politics bla bla bla) and lived in a few countries where i learnt a lot of internal policy and politics in general.

I think your comment was out of place, for there are people coming out of HEC or SCIENCE PO who are utterly and profoundly dumb.

I don't think saying in school too long is necessarily that good for one's intellect and free mind either..

Sorry, know it was off topic.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 03:37:31 PM by jessica » Logged

Nothing to say
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2004, 03:40:24 PM »

By the way, if in america an actor can become president ( reagan) and another actore becomes governor of California, i don't think artists, evne if they left school at 15, should shut up.

Nothing to say
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2004, 04:12:04 PM »

I left school at 15, have a " bac +3" today, read over 10.000 books on very different matters ( from calculations about weather forecast to history to recent history of the israeli politics bla bla bla) and lived in a few countries where i learnt a lot of internal policy and politics in general.

Is it for real?  Huh Reading 10,000 books takes a long, long time. If you read 1 book/day then after 27,4 years you'll read all of them. BTW nobody will be clever or intelligent by going to school for years, but teachers can help and you can learn more than if you only read books.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
FlashFlood
Rocker

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2004, 04:13:47 PM »

Well Jessica, do you wanna know why they get elected? Because they have money. Money, money, money. It runs the world. Its not because they are particularly intelligent. Its because they have money.

Education does make you intelligent, I dont know why somebody would think otherwise, no matter what kind of education that is.

The fact of the matter is, is you arent intelligent and are talking about politics, then shut the fuck up.

poop
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2004, 04:19:20 PM »

It turns me off when musicians get involved with politics. Mainly because music for me is a way to escape the real world so I don't want to go to a concert and hear them going on about something I'm trying to escape at the moment. I think there are better forums for them to speak their opinions.

Some musicians come off as really sincere and intelligent, but there are too many out there who just latch on to something to get their name out there. I don't want to hear someone if all they can do is go up there and say "Bush is a nazi" or "F*** John Kerry." Another thing that bugs me is when musicians and celebrities go on a political ant at a totally inappropriate place. I remember Chris Martin went on an an anti-war rant at a benefit for teenagers with cancer. The guy is supposed to be raising money for cancer victims and the moron is trying to get his name out in the press by ranting about the war. There are too many celebrities like this.

I don't really care for rap, but it seems rap artists are handling it the proper way. They are getting out there and encouraging young Americans to vote instead of forcing their opinions down someone's throat. I respect that a lot more than someone ranting and raving about Bush or Kerry.

I am also put off that artists feel the need to tour to get someone out of office. There are million more important causes they could behind and instead they decide to tour to support a billionaire. Am I the only one who sees how wrong this is? Yes, the presidential election is important but the US and the world isn't going to be significantly better or worse no matter who wins. Meanwhile people are dying of AIDS, cancer, alzheimers, and starvation but somehow they find supporting a billionaire is a more worthy cause. It's ridiculous.
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2004, 04:36:17 PM »

And one other thing...look at Arnold Schwanznegger...he makes me cringe on tv

Don't pick on Arnie.No one out there has EVER done what he's done.

The man has had three incredibly succesful lives:

-He's the best body builder ever
-He still is the best payed actor ever
-he hs the most important political role an austrian could have: gouvernor of the 5th biggest economy inthe world

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2004, 04:39:20 PM »

Some musicians come off as really sincere and intelligent, but there are too many out there who just latch on to something to get their name out there. I don't want to hear someone if all they can do is go up there and say "Bush is a nazi" or "F*** John Kerry." Another thing that bugs me is when musicians and celebrities go on a political ant at a totally inappropriate place. I remember Chris Martin went on an an anti-war rant at a benefit for teenagers with cancer. The guy is supposed to be raising money for cancer victims and the moron is trying to get his name out in the press by ranting about the war. There are too many celebrities like this.

I don't really care for rap, but it seems rap artists are handling it the proper way. They are getting out there and encouraging young Americans to vote instead of forcing their opinions down someone's throat. I respect that a lot more than someone ranting and raving about Bush or Kerry.

YES!  That's exactly it.  I admire musicians who go out there and speak about politics with an informed opinion - Bruce Springsteen being the best example I can think of.  He speaks eloquently and he doesn't come off as partisan or wanting to hook onto the bandwagon....he comes across as someone who wants to stand up for what's right.  What I can't stand are artists who simply spout lowest-common-demoninator rants about how they can't stand one particular politician (okay, George Bush).  Like not too long ago at a Sum 41 concert at my university, the opening act, which wasn't particularly talented, led the crowd in a chant of "Fuck George Bush! Fuck George Bush!"  If they can't think of anything more interesting to say than that, then they shouldn't bother.  The other day I saw this video by some hardcore metal band called "No W", which was just about hating Bush.  Look, it's all well and good to dislike a politician, but you could at least explain your position in a better manner.

And yeah, Chris Martin absolutely annoys the shit out of me - I hate that guy!  Every single awards show he was at, he'll take the mic and make some comment like, "Thanks for the award, even though we'll all be blown up if George Bush has his way."  Accept the damn award and be done with it!  One thing I dislike is how so many of the people who say this aren't even American - ditto Chris Martin.  The opening act at the Sum 41 concert is another example.  They're Canadian, we're Canadian - why start talking about Bush?  To me, you resort to that when you don't have the talent to just let your music speak for you.   I admire artists who don't just talk about hating Bush, but also explain why John Kerry is better, and do it in a thoughtful way (like Bruce Springsteen, Eddie Vedder, or Tom DeLonge).

I am also put off that artists feel the need to tour to get someone out of office. There are million more important causes they could behind and instead they decide to tour to support a billionaire. Am I the only one who sees how wrong this is? Yes, the presidential election is important but the US and the world isn't going to be significantly better or worse no matter who wins. Meanwhile people are dying of AIDS, cancer, alzheimers, and starvation but somehow they find supporting a billionaire is a more worthy cause. It's ridiculous.

Yeah, but artists often do tour behind matters like fighting AIDS, cancer, Third World poverty and all that.  It's just that this is an election year and they want to do what they think will help thier country - nothing wrong with that.  And you could view it an indirectly trying to solve a multiplicity of issues.  If they think electing John Kerry will mean more protection the environment, a better foreign policy, easing domestic unemployment...well, by all means, let them.

Anybody want a bit of relatively subtle political humour?  Enjoy this "Yogi Bush" cartoon.

http://www.campchaos.com/show.php?iID=867
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2004, 07:30:09 PM »

I had a good little giggle when someone mentioned not voting for Kerry because he's a billionaire...that cracks me up!!!   rofl  One of the candidates is all for tax breaks for the wealthy.  The other one (the one you called a billionaire) would say screw that!  Oh yeah, also, ever heard of a company called Haliburton???  It's that company that got contracts in Iraq handed to them...no need to bid...pretty nice, huh???

I've said it before, I'll say it again...Axl probably leans toward Libertarian views...he's very independent and just doesn't want government fucking with him.

Oh yeah, and if you think Axl's a Republican because he supported the first Gulf War, you're way off base.  The support for that war at its height had to be in the 80th% here in the US. 

Hell, I was even stupid enough to fall for the current war, hook, line and sinker!  There were no WMD's, none, Bush and Cheney finally admitted the fact.  It's all about oil...which is now at $53/barrel...a record-high. 

I hope one of the new tunes on Chinese D. is called Smoke and Mirrors, or Hook, Line, and Sinker...a nicely veiled attack on our current government's games.  It would be along the lines of Double-Talkin' Jive Motherfucker. 

PS  Axl aint dumb enough to take sides in a polarized nation.  He is an artist and a businessman.  Axl for prez!   love

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Allman
The Flying Dutchman
Rocker

Rock N' Roll Jesus

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2004, 07:40:36 PM »

Elvis said it best in 1972 at the Hilton press conference, asked about his opinion on the Vietnam war he replied "I rather keep my views for myself, I'm an entertainer".
If only today's artist would do the same...

Elvis has left the building
Thank you and goodnight
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2004, 08:02:31 PM »

Is Slash an American citizen?? Huh As far as I know (according to Snakepit.org) Slash is not into politics he hardly ever voted.

I'm pretty sure he is. I remember him saying he did it so it would be easier to work in america.

I would assume, based on a song like "Civil War," that Axl is opposed to war.

Not every War... He supported the Gulf war, and as I remember he even made a rant about it.

From what i've heard he never said he supported the war. From my knowledge he says its wrong not to support america when it is at war. Feel free to prove me wrong tho, my recollection of it is a little hazy.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2004, 08:07:07 PM »

I'm pretty sure he is. I remember him saying he did it so it would be easier to work in america.

Yeah...1996 is when he became an American citizen I believe, meaning he was technically a Brit throughtout his time with Guns.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2004, 08:10:21 PM »

Elvis said it best in 1972 at the Hilton press conference, asked about his opinion on the Vietnam war he replied "I rather keep my views for myself, I'm an entertainer".
If only today's artist would do the same...
It prooves Elvis was an intelligent guy. That's exactly what I said too.
and Jessica for the story of "don't make politic when you left school at 15" it was an image. a way to say that lots of artists should shut up instead of taking themselves for a President or a prime minister and give political advices to their listeners. as we say in french "chacun doit rester ? sa place", "chacun son r?le".?When I buy a record or go to a concert I don't want to know the political point of vue of the artist/or band. I don't care. Cool
a concert is not a political meeting.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 08:15:45 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2004, 08:18:14 PM »

Yeah...1996 is when he became an American citizen I believe, meaning he was technically a Brit throughtout his time with Guns.

I think there's a video interview with him on the BBC's site where he talks about having dual citizenship
Danny
VIP

I fucked your llama!

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2004, 12:22:03 AM »

Correction:  wives.

Now, back on the "Civil War" thing.  I seem to recall that Duff actually wrote Civil War and that the idea was based on when he was a child and he remembered seeing a big, anti Viet Nam rally.  It really isn't a song about being anti-war in general, and it definately does NOT indicate AXL's opinions regarding the generallity of "war".  With that dopey logic, than Axl also would: 1) have spent time in a coma 2) be neighors with the anti-christ 3) have a mother who is literally nothing but a giant vagina 4) be a medical lab technician who is able to read and decifer a CAT scan machine 5) have once discovered human body parts in his trash recepticle 6) not have his sense of sight 7) have a father who was litterally a fire-arm Cool make his living as a poor-quality produce distributor 9) desire fellatio from music journalists...and 10) have a heart that has not fully matured to his age.

-Banny

Thousands of GNR fans have died waiting for Chinese Democracy to be released.

www.wonderfulworldofdanny.com
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2004, 01:25:15 AM »

Now, back on the "Civil War" thing.? I seem to recall that Duff actually wrote Civil War and that the idea was based on when he was a child and he remembered seeing a big, anti Viet Nam rally.? It really isn't a song about being anti-war in general, and it definately does NOT indicate AXL's opinions regarding the generallity of "war".? With that dopey logic, than Axl also would: 1) have spent time in a coma 2) be neighors with the anti-christ 3) have a mother who is literally nothing but a giant vagina 4) be a medical lab technician who is able to read and decifer a CAT scan machine 5) have once discovered human body parts in his trash recepticle 6) not have his sense of sight 7) have a father who was litterally a fire-arm Cool make his living as a poor-quality produce distributor 9) desire fellatio from music journalists...and 10) have a heart that has not fully matured to his age.

You seem to be confusing a fairly direct message in "Civil War" with literal interpretations of figurative speech in other songs.? Now thats dopey logic, and not as clever as you think.? Comparing Axls earnest recitation of lyrics like "Look at the shoes you're filling/ Look at the blood we're spilling/ Look at the world we're killing/ The way we've always done before" to a line like "I call my mother, shes just a cunt now"?? Are you serious?? Theres no comparison.?

Even if your recollection is correct, and it was Duff who wrote "Civil War" (somehting Ive never heard and have a hard time believing), do you think Axl would deliver such a strong message if he opposed it?

It really isn't a song about being anti-war in general

"Look at your young men dying
The way they've always done before"

"Look at the hate we're breeding
Look at the fear we're feeding
Look at the lives we're leading
The way we've always done before"

"I don't need one more war
What's so civil 'bout war anyway"

Those words sound specific to you? Huh

« Last Edit: October 09, 2004, 01:28:37 AM by Booker Floyd » Logged
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2004, 03:32:47 AM »

? I hope one of the new tunes on Chinese D. is called Smoke and Mirrors, or Hook, Line, and Sinker...a nicely veiled attack on our current government's games.? It would be along the lines of Double-Talkin' Jive Motherfucker.?

PS? Axl aint dumb enough to take sides in a polarized nation.? He is an artist and a businessman.? Axl for prez!? ?love

Aren't you contradicting your argument there?  If Axl writes a song called Smoke and Mirrors attacking our current government, then he would basically be taking sides, right?

Now, back on the "Civil War" thing.  I seem to recall that Duff actually wrote Civil War and that the idea was based on when he was a child and he remembered seeing a big, anti Viet Nam rally.  It really isn't a song about being anti-war in general, and it definately does NOT indicate AXL's opinions regarding the generallity of "war".  With that dopey logic, than Axl also would: 1) have spent time in a coma 2) be neighors with the anti-christ 3) have a mother who is literally nothing but a giant vagina 4) be a medical lab technician who is able to read and decifer a CAT scan machine 5) have once discovered human body parts in his trash recepticle 6) not have his sense of sight 7) have a father who was litterally a fire-arm Cool make his living as a poor-quality produce distributor 9) desire fellatio from music journalists...and 10) have a heart that has not fully matured to his age.

Your argument is flawed, because, as Booker Floyd pointed out, the lyrics are indeed general in nature and seem to attack the whole idea of war.  I mean, it's a true anti-war protest song, in the tradition of Dylan's "Masters Of War".  Technically, I suppose it would be even more timely today than it was in 1991.  But then GN'R might be seen as merely hopping the bandwagon.  After all, there's a million anti-war songs out there right now.  I have to say, though (and I smile when I say this).  Not one of them is as eloquent, as pure, as powerful, as "Civil War".  Now THAT'S how you do an anti-war song.

But like I was saying....your argument is flawed, BUT that was still a pretty funny post.  hihi
SLCPUNK
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2004, 03:39:18 AM »

-Banny

I thought you had to return to the hospital after your pass....

Wife because that is who's money it is.

He was previously married, but that has nothing to do with his money now, or the point I was making.

You may leave now, thanks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: