Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:57:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Springsteen is supporting Kerry. What about Axl & Slash ?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Springsteen is supporting Kerry. What about Axl & Slash ?  (Read 26192 times)
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2004, 10:51:36 PM »

This whole thing is such a joke.  If I am an actor or big time musician, the last thing I am going to do is start ranting about politics or religion.  Those two items divide so many people.  If you are pro Kerry, then the Bush supporters may lose interest.  It is really a no win situation.  And, for the most part, they don't know what the hell they are talking about.  Kerry and Bush are both pretty terrible.  But whatever.  I just feel that actors and muscians just talk out of their ass a lot and a lot of people are influenced by what they say.  Like this Puff Daddy kick, "Vote or Die."  What the fock are they voting for?  Cause puffy says vote?  Most of Puffy's fans don't know what the fock is going on?Huh  Why would I want to incourage a dumb ass to vote in the most important election in the world? 
POPmetal
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2004, 11:10:54 PM »

I'd rather see artists get attention by being creative instead.

Well, what if they expressed their political opinions creatively?? Would you have a problem with that?? In the long run, it is more meaningful than playing partisan politics for one particular election.? The song will remain, and the election will be forgotten.

Just for the record, I don't have a "problem" with artists being political. Most people aren't dumb enough to be influence by them. It's sad when artists lose creativity and try to gain attention by shilling for politicians. That's about as UNrock n' roll as it gets! And it's really fucked up how MTV plays the shit out of just about anything with a left-wing message, even if it sucks ass (for the record, before somebody tries to take what I say out of context, I'm not saying everything with a left-wing message sucks). That's just another way in which eMpTyV has contributed to the demise of good music.
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2004, 12:30:03 AM »

I hope Axl and/or Slash never have to resort to shilling for politicians in order to revive an ailing career. That's what this is about. Almost all of those "political" artists are has beens. What does that tell you?

I'd rather see artists get attention by being creative instead.

You might like this story from the pages of The Onion.... hihi

http://www.theonion.com/news/index.php?issue=4040

IRRELEVANT POP STARS UNITE AGAINST BUSH

LOS ANGELES?In an effort to motivate Americans to go to the polls on Nov. 2, a coalition of irrelevant pop stars is winding up a 36-city tour that will culminate in a concert on Oct. 11 in Washington, D.C.

"The Vote For Change tour has been put together by a wide cross-section of artists with one purpose: to remove Bush from office," said Stone Gossard, whose band Pearl Jam enjoyed popularity during the grunge phase of the early to mid-'90s. "Not everyone here is pro-Kerry, but everyone here agrees that Bush has to go. Just rocking the vote isn't enough. You've gotta rock for change."

Pearl Jam will share the stage with such onetime chart-toppers as Jackson Browne, John Fogerty, and Crosby, Stills & Nash.

"I can't let this election take place without knowing I fought as hard as I could for a more compassionate leader," 51-year-old John Mellencamp said. "If playing my 1986 hit 'R.O.C.K. In The U.S.A.' at the Hancher Auditorium in Iowa City will dissuade people from voting for Bush, then I'm going to do it."

The Vote For Change bill contains a wide range of artists whose actual relationship with American politics remains unclear. Rock group R.E.M., blues artist Bonnie Raitt, and the country group Dixie Chicks will join R&B artists such as Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds, co-founder of LaFace Records, which released the Bodyguard soundtrack.

"I couldn't ignore all the bad that's going on," said Edmonds, who co-wrote Bobby Brown's 1992 single "Humpin' Around." "I had to do my part to stop all the... bad things."

Rounding out the bill are such lesser-known indie artists as 24-year-old singer-songwriter Conor Oberst (a.k.a. Bright Eyes), and Seattle-based rock band Death Cab For Cutie.

"Bush is fucking evil," said Nick Harmer, bassist for Death Cab For Cutie. "The economy is for shit, and we're stuck in this unjust war that he lied about to get us to agree to. Me and the other guys in the band wanted to do something real to get him out of office. We were like, 'We gotta do a concert.'"

David Corn, Washington, D.C. editor of The Nation, said he appreciated the musicians' efforts.

"It's really great to get more young people involved in politics, and if Keb Mo singing 'This Land Is Your Land' helps, so be it," Corn said. "Of course, in addition to watching MTV to find out what Moby has to say about Bush, you could watch C-SPAN, or even visit the candidates' web sites. You're probably not going to learn a lot about the candidates' positions on Social Security reform by listening to Dave Matthews gas on while his bassist tunes up."

After being informed of the existence of the Vote For Change tour, Bush campaign manager Ken Mehlman called it "a cute idea."

"It's wonderful that these singers are getting involved," Mehlman said. "While I respectfully disagree with Tracy Chapman and Sheryl Crow's opinion of our president, I think it's great that they're doing something with their time."

Concert organizers said the show, with its extraordinary lineup of soft-rock artists, is getting a boost in ticket sales from an unexpected demographic. John Linner of Orlando, FL is one of the tens of thousands of registered Republicans planning to attend a Vote For Change concert.

"It's going to be kind of annoying, with all the liberal bullshit between sets, but I can't imagine missing this kind of line-up," Linner said. "R.E.M. is a little weird, except for that one song, 'Shiny Happy People.' But how many times do you get a chance to see a tour that has Springsteen and John Fogerty?"

Similar in spirit to Vote For Change, Rock Against Bush is a concert tour created by NOFX vocalist and bassist Fat Mike to mobilize voters against the president.

"We're psyched to have Strike Anywhere, Anti-Flag, and Bouncing Souls on board," Fat Mike said, naming acts a few people might recognize as punk bands. "We're especially hoping we pull in some audience members who are older than 17, so they can vote."

Rock Against Bush publicist Donna Wolff said campaign-related concerts are "an important way for musicians to express their political views."

"Contrary to what many people think, rock artists want to be involved," Wolff said. "While some of the musicians billed on our tour can't even name the U.S Secretary of Health and Human Services, or list more than two Bush policies they oppose, they all know the difference between right and wrong."
POPmetal
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2004, 01:06:33 AM »

Thanks Mattman, that story was a riot   rofl
John Fogerty Roll Eyes hihi
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2004, 07:49:18 AM »

Everythings pretty much of topic here anyway so...good luck USA with getting rid of that christian fundmendalist and greedy oil warlord of yours ok

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
GregMan
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2004, 08:26:09 PM »

To say Axl would support Kerry because Tommy Stinson does, is pretty stupid. It is possible to be friends with people who do not share the same political views. But that seems to be the way some peoplethink. Anyway, everyone's entitled to their opinion. I have many Democratic friends and our discusions are entertaining.
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2004, 02:49:34 AM »

By the way, if in america an actor can become president ( reagan) and another actore becomes governor of California, i don't think artists, evne if they left school at 15, should shut up.
Arnold isn't actor,he is something like briney spirs,commercial work
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2004, 05:00:08 PM »

Everythings pretty much of topic here anyway so...good luck USA with getting rid of that christian fundmendalist and greedy oil warlord of yours ok

We don`t have great choices for the election. The other guy is promising us that he has a plan to solve all of our problems and no concrete way to pay for it. While Bush is in trouble with Iraq, Kerry is jerking us off telling us what we want to hear.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2004, 07:53:39 PM »

yes
POPmetal
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2004, 04:36:01 AM »

This is so pathetic! Kerry's wife reported earning $5.07 million dollars in 2003 on her IRS 1040 form on which she paid a federal tax rate of only 12.4%. That's actually less than what the middle class is paying. And this guys says that he'll raise taxes on the rich and stick up for the middle class hihi
YEah, big deal if you raise taxes on the rich as long as they are able to take advantage of loopholes and still pay less than the rest of us! And Duff is upholding these hypocrites? Roll Eyes It just shows how clueless he is. Both candidates are full of it. One was born with a silver spoon and the other married one. I don't think there's anything to commend here.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 04:39:46 AM by POPmetal » Logged
gnrvrrule
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2004, 08:58:51 PM »

Although I disagree with Duff on this one, he has his right, and at least he's not ranting and raving like many of the other musicians and artists.  He's keeping it cool while showing his support for his candidate of choice.  Overall, these musicians certainly have the right to do what they're doing, but I don't buy their true motives one bit.  I honestly don't think that they have enough interest (as in, how their lives will change following the election) in the election; I believe many of these guys are doing this for publicity and money.  They don't like Bush, and so they are going out and making big bucks to try to get him out of the White House.  Again, it's their right, but I don't agree with it; I think (like Alice Cooper recently said), music and politics should be mostly separate, because music is an escape from reality in many ways. 
       As for Axl and Slash, I think Slash would support Kerry and Axl most likely Bush.  Axl has done some extremely right-wing things (One in a Million, defended Iraqi war in 1991, talks about people taking your hard earned money) and some left-wing things (talked about how gov't was denying access to AIDS treatment, said MLK Jr. day should be a holiday, and criticized gov't in Garden of Eden).  Overall, I don't think he'd vote at all and is probably non-partisan, but he seems to be the type of guy that would support us freeing people across the world, as Bush has done.  Slash seems mostly unpolitical, but I think he's a Kerry-type.  JMO.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: