Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:27:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Ice-T
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ice-T  (Read 6133 times)
Lady Livin
Louder Than Love
Rocker

Don't fear the reaper

« on: October 08, 2004, 11:36:20 PM »

I was just wondering how many of you on here might also be into Ice-T or one of his projects. I don't listen to too much rap, basically because I don't relate to it in any shape or form. However, for the longest time I had intentions of checking out some of his stuff because he went beyond rapping, and took up roles in drama and whatnot. I do enjoy some of the old-school rock that had raps like Beastie Boys and Anthrax, but maybe that's for another thread. Anyway, I just finished listening to his '91 release "O.G. Original Gangster", and I am very impressed. This man is intelligent, funny, and I just love his style. I agree with some of his politics, not all, but I consider myself an independent anyway because my views on certain things don't belong to strictly one party. So if you do actually have some opinions on him, Body Count, and/or his affiliation with metal and punk.. do share.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 02:02:14 AM »

A pioneer and legend.  Hes one of the rap greats.  He has extraordinary presence and charisma and makes highly entertaining music.   

Cool
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 03:22:54 AM »

I've got a friend who's really into Ice-T and is always getting me to listen to MP3s of his stuff.  I heard this one today called "Retaliation" that was pretty brutal.  It talks about death..."my niggaz in bodybags" and stuff like that.  It's hard-hitting, challenging, and is one of the things I love about gangsta rap.  This isn't some hotshot bling-bling rapper talking about how much money his fashion line made last year.  This is a guy from the streets who sings about the hardships down there, rather than how nice it is once you've reached the top (like modern rappers do).  He sings about real social problems, and even if you don't agree with his politics, you can't deny the power with which he expresses his sentiments.

But of course, I've only heard a couple songs by him - the only other one I can remember is a song where he sampled the song "Black Sabbath".  Apparently, he was really into the Sabs, which is why he guest-rapped on a song from their 1995 album Forbidden (he did one verse on a song called "Illusion of Power", and it absolutely sucks).  But that song - "Midnight", I think it's called - is really good.

Unfortunately, every time I think of Ice-T, I can't help but remember where I first saw him - on a Spike TV special that he hosted called The 100 Most Irresistable Women.  Yeah, that's hardcore, alright.  Roll Eyes
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 04:15:39 AM »

Unfortunately, every time I think of Ice-T, I can't help but remember where I first saw him - on a Spike TV special that he hosted called The 100 Most Irresistable Women.? Yeah, that's hardcore, alright.? Roll Eyes

Yeah, the Ice-T of today is hardly the Ice-T of 14 years ago...Thats the guy were appreciating here.

Although, you could easily say that its characteristic of the old Ice-T.  Hes a hustler first and foremost.  Before being a rapper or actor, hes a hustler.  And getting exposure and making money, whether its acting on a UPN show, low-budget movie, or cable-hosting gig, is all part of his hustle.  Hes said before that hes all about the money, so he could care less about the movie being too low-budget or corny, hes not arrogant enough to turn down such easy money.  You might not agree with his approach, but its pretty consistent with his outlook from the beginning, and doesnt detract from the classics hes made in his prime.  I dont think hes ever claimed to be "hardcore"...hes always claimed to be a hustler.

Ice Cube, on the other hand... no
Irish rose
Rocker

You're Gonna Die!!

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2004, 06:37:24 AM »

Ice-T is the only rapper i listen to, I love Mic Contract, mind over matter, the tower, pulse of the rhyme.....and first impression is hilarious!!!

"I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich"
Lady Livin
Louder Than Love
Rocker

Don't fear the reaper

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2004, 10:16:17 AM »

yeah, I also sort of see a similarity between Ice-T and Axl when it comes to women. It's obvious that they can't get enough of them, but they don't really seem to appreciate them in the long-run.
Dizzy
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2004, 10:38:33 AM »

I hate rap, but Ice T deserves credit for the song "Lifestyles of the Rich and Infamous".  That song perfectly captures what it's like to be a concert performer and a celebrity in general.

His acting sucked at first, but it improved over time.  He's much better at TV work than he is at movies.
Lady Livin
Louder Than Love
Rocker

Don't fear the reaper

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2004, 10:45:43 AM »

I hate rap, but Ice T deserves credit for the song "Lifestyles of the Rich and Infamous".

didn't Eminem and his D-12 people just pull a LOTRAI? "my band"?
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2004, 12:48:16 PM »

Why are you talking about Ice T? This is a music message-board.

Bow to the Tempo of the Damned!
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2004, 03:07:28 PM »

Why are you making stupid posts in a thread about Ice-T?

Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2004, 03:26:18 PM »

I'm not a fan of rap, but if i was forced to listen to it Ice-T would be my No.1 choice.? Although not music related i like him as an actor.? I recommend the film Trespass w/ Bill Paxton, Ice Cube, Ice-T & William Sadler.? He's also got a small role in the extremely underated 3000 Miles To Graceland.

Edit: Just remembered a not bad song by him.? Born To Raise Hell, on the Airheads Soundtrack.? He performed it with Whitfield Crane [ Ugly Kid Joe ] & Lemmy [ Mot?rhead ]
« Last Edit: October 09, 2004, 04:45:23 PM by Stoned » Logged
Lady Livin
Louder Than Love
Rocker

Don't fear the reaper

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2004, 03:57:58 PM »

Ice-T was in a metal band; [Slayer] is metal.

you're a jackass, and a hypocrite.
kj_jive
Got troll dolls?
VIP

Found a head and an arm in the garbage can

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2004, 02:12:46 AM »

haha hihi i thought it was good....humor is entirely wasted on this board my friend.

Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Ice-T a pimp before he was a rapper? I mean a REAL pimp, not a p.i.m.p.

"This board isn't supposed to be a fucking smiley festival"-Jarmo 3-19-03
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2004, 05:52:26 AM »

Ice-T was in a metal band; [Slayer] is metal.

you're a jackass, and a hypocrite.

You're hard aren't you.

Bow to the Tempo of the Damned!
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2004, 01:49:08 PM »

I think the Warning at the start of Home Invasion's quite funny!  Simple things please simple minds!  Grin

It's the only rap album I own though, I'm pleased to say.  I'd agree with most here, that some of his lyrics are actually credible, and not just about slammin' ho's and dissin' bling in da club or whatever.   99 Problems is where it's at if you want funny (and dirty!) lyrics tho, it's pretty cool and Ice-T did it long before feminem 'exploded' onto the scene with his MTV created image.

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2004, 03:35:20 PM »

I was just wondering how many of you on here might also be into Ice-T or one of his projects. I don't listen to too much rap, basically because I don't relate to it in any shape or form. However, for the longest time I had intentions of checking out some of his stuff because he went beyond rapping, and took up roles in drama and whatnot. I do enjoy some of the old-school rock that had raps like Beastie Boys and Anthrax, but maybe that's for another thread. Anyway, I just finished listening to his '91 release "O.G. Original Gangster", and I am very impressed. This man is intelligent, funny, and I just love his style. I agree with some of his politics, not all, but I consider myself an independent anyway because my views on certain things don't belong to strictly one party. So if you do actually have some opinions on him, Body Count, and/or his affiliation with metal and punk.. do share.

Bodycount was superb. I saw them live years ago and enjoyed them immensely

Other Ice-T projects though have not been to my liking
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2004, 04:15:21 PM »

an ol' Ice fan here, the album Power was my first, i still dig it ok
he's the only rap artist i really liked 'cause he's real, not like todays shit.

For years he's been sayin' FUCK THE POLICE, Bodycount had to take off the opening track to there first album...COP KILLER after receiving death threats from police n' people around the world....and now he's actin' as a cop hihi rofl
He has truely fucked with everyone ok
OG n' HOME INVASION are killer too!!!

If you are affended by words like
bitch
shit
fuck
nigger fuck shit, shit mother fucker....... rofl rofl rofl        that intro kicks arse man ok

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: