Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:43:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227777 Posts in 43246 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  GNN - GN'R News Network
| | |-+  Duff when to far this time
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Duff when to far this time  (Read 5889 times)
sergejg
Headliner

Here Today...

« on: October 15, 2004, 01:38:51 PM »

Qouting DUFF:

"Axl made it an Axl thing, but it really wasn't," McKagan said. "He never wrote any of the music. That was part of the reason it broke up, because we'd play shows and he'd say, 'Here's a song I wrote about . . .' and it would be a song he had nothing to do with."

What does he means Axl didn't wrote any of the music. What the fuck is he talking about? what about November Rain, Estranged, etc...

Why is he like that? Why can't he leave Axl alone? I like a lot how Duff plays but this kind of comentaries suck. Besides, I think Velvet Revolver sounds cool but its an obvious display of how limitated Slash and Duffs creativity have become, all the album just sounds too much like everything else they have always played. Instead Axl will redefine once again Rock music with Chinese Democracy, Im pretty sure about it.
sergejg
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 01:27:14 AM »

today I just read he said all the quotes on that article where not true. I think that he was drunk when he said all that stuff and now he is just trying to fix things. hehehehe. Anyway its good that he kind of admits axl's contribution.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 06:20:57 AM »

WHo is aNYONE TO SAY SLASH AND DUFF ARE LIMITED?? Did we sit in the studio and go over what they wanted to do... I don't agree with what he said involving the music, but it was so long ago that it doesn't really matter, and as for why don't he leave axl alone... I think judging by every interview the members of VR get asiked about old gnr and axl all the time.. If axl did some interviews then he could answer questions andhis side would be heard..

I think Contraband is a real good album, and is very well rounded, and they play awesome live.. They've done afd, they've done the illusions, now they're older and it's their time to play the music they want..

DOn't you think slash could play a 2 minute solo if he wanted??? A majestic solo floating by the rainbow, or standing on top of water isn't needed to a band that's just rocking along.. The option is always there to do these things, but I can love music without these things..? COntraband has some cool songs and good riffs..

I personally don't care about these issues spoken of from 12 or more years ago.. They were in the band together so let them argue..

You're so sure cd will redifine music..  The album has had like ten people on it and the songs get redone a few times, it goes from just a rock album to this thing of perfection.. I have no doubt it will be good, but any good band can make a better album if they sit around fixing everything for years n years..
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 06:23:39 AM by mikegiuliana » Logged
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 11:55:27 AM »

I think Mike you hit the nail on the head if anyone wants to compare Chinese Democracy (if it ever comes out) to Contraband.

" .....but any good band can make a better album if they sit around fixing everything for years n years.."

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 09:53:24 PM »

Duff is completely talking out of his ass and he knows it after making those comments. The splitting up of a band is like a divorce, both sides are usually bitter and something gets said out of emotion and is very skewed and sometimes completely untrue.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 06:52:28 AM »

Duff is completely talking out of his ass and he knows it after making those comments. The splitting up of a band is like a divorce, both sides are usually bitter and something gets said out of emotion and is very skewed and sometimes completely untrue.

I agree.. I think with the countless interviews vr has done and for the tons of times they get asked about the old days or axl rose in general someone is bound to say something stupid,,

I know they were part of the band and interviewing them is as close as they can get for info about the old days n axl, but it must get annoying when they get hit with 50 of the same interviews..

Duff was wrong in what he said, but it's such ancient history that it doesn't even matter.. We all know axl wrote some music
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 11:13:30 PM »

all of the gnr questions are to be expected first time around. hopefully whenever they release a 2nd album after touring in support of contraband there won't be so much of it because it did get old fast. of course if chinese democracy comes out between now and then expect it to get worse.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2004, 01:56:45 PM »

WHo is aNYONE TO SAY SLASH AND DUFF ARE LIMITED?? Did we sit in the studio and go over what they wanted to do... I don't agree with what he said involving the music, but it was so long ago that it doesn't really matter, and as for why don't he leave axl alone... I think judging by every interview the members of VR get asiked about old gnr and axl all the time.. If axl did some interviews then he could answer questions andhis side would be heard..

I think Contraband is a real good album, and is very well rounded, and they play awesome live.. They've done afd, they've done the illusions, now they're older and it's their time to play the music they want..

DOn't you think slash could play a 2 minute solo if he wanted??? A majestic solo floating by the rainbow, or standing on top of water isn't needed to a band that's just rocking along.. The option is always there to do these things, but I can love music without these things..? COntraband has some cool songs and good riffs..

I personally don't care about these issues spoken of from 12 or more years ago.. They were in the band together so let them argue..

You're so sure cd will redifine music..? The album has had like ten people on it and the songs get redone a few times, it goes from just a rock album to this thing of perfection.. I have no doubt it will be good, but any good band can make a better album if they sit around fixing everything for years n years..

Your right, Slash and Duff probably could do more.  However, they DONT.  And this is why Axl has always been the more creative one, and the one that got the most out of the band.  Sure, I wasn't there in the studio with them, I'm just basing my thoughts and opinions from the things that I have read.  A perfect example is how Duff and Slash actually laughed at Sweet Child O'Mine in the beginning and said they wouldn't do it.  I'm not saying Duff and Slash are great players, just that they needed Axl.  Axl made those guys huge, and we'll see if the same goes for Axl (whenever CD hits stores).

And I have to dissagree with you about any good band making an album even better the longer they work on it.  To some extent, I agree because there are cases where it can definately be better.  You go back and listen over certain recordings and find errors, you fix them.  However, if this was always true, more bands would take a very long time (Why?  Because don't bands want to make the best record possible and sell lots of copies?)  However, the fact is that things could possibly get worse by taking such a long time.  CD as far as we know, could turn out to be a hell of a lot worse than it was 3 years ago.  Perfection is only good to a certain extent.  You can actually start taking good things off of an album because you start to believe it is shit.  Your ideas from 5 years ago start to conflict with your ideas of today.  What happens, you get something in between that really makes no sence.

I can really see this happening when CD comes out and it is a success.  "Well it should be, it took fuckin 10 years".  That's a crock.

Just My Opinion           

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2004, 03:52:31 PM »

Yeah I hear you ,and yes axl brought out qualities in the other members.. You can look at it twenty ways, if slash never comes up witht eh riff for sweet chil do mine then you never have that amazing catchy opening.. For each person that feeds off another they still need the initial piece to make something better..

I disagree about the every band would wait longer if they could tweak the albums and make them better,, People want to perform ,they want to get albums out, they have a fan base and like to keep them happy..

I really like contrband, I listen to it all the time ,now I would take a solid rocking album every say two years over one excellent one every six.. I wan teh band to play, I want to get new music.. Not everyone cares about their band or the band itself wanting to reinvent the wheel..

As for the ten year thing, well lets put it this way the sleeve on the cd will be like war n peace to give thanks n credit..  I say get the album out and just let it fly, it's only rock and roll ,not brain surgery.. God I love that quote..
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2004, 04:23:13 PM »

Yeah I hear you ,and yes axl brought out qualities in the other members.. You can look at it twenty ways, if slash never comes up witht eh riff for sweet chil do mine then you never have that amazing catchy opening.. For each person that feeds off another they still need the initial piece to make something better..

I disagree about the every band would wait longer if they could tweak the albums and make them better,, People want to perform ,they want to get albums out, they have a fan base and like to keep them happy..

I really like contrband, I listen to it all the time ,now I would take a solid rocking album every say two years over one excellent one every six.. I wan teh band to play, I want to get new music.. Not everyone cares about their band or the band itself wanting to reinvent the wheel..

As for the ten year thing, well lets put it this way the sleeve on the cd will be like war n peace to give thanks n credit..? I say get the album out and just let it fly, it's only rock and roll ,not brain surgery.. God I love that quote..

Yeah, I can understand people wanting to get out there and play.  However, Axl has done that.  He's been out there and played..alot.  That doesn't meen that he isn't excited to perform live anymore.  I just think he has matured a lot and has patience apposed to say a younger artist or band who is really anxious to perform.  That younger band may rush something just to get it out, and they may suffer because of it.  I would say that it all depends on where you are in your career.  If you have already established yourself, you can do whatever you want.  If your younger, you have the pressures of fame, money, performing live, all staring you in the eye.  But someone like GNR, Metallica, Eminem, or U2, these groups can take there time if they want.  These older bands have pressures, but of different sorts (match there old success, looks, sound).  With these pressures, maybe it's better to take a bit longer. 

However, I think 10 years is way to long.

peace     

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2004, 04:56:54 PM »

I hear you, notice someone like u-2 has that huge album in 2002 and now they're back out again and their single is doing great.. I know it's not ten years, and I don't mind someone taking gtheir time with age or whateevr reason they chose because there isn't an urgency say like a new group has to get something out..

This is for me as a fan, it's been so long since 1991's new material, and we have now been juggling and talking about the same old boots for years n years now..  I want to hear some new music, and I hope they scrap most of the boots we have because I want to hear stuff we;ve never heard.. Hope they are b sides or whatever..

I also wouldn't care if axl took a short break after they stopped touring in 93, but it's now 2004 and 11 years slipt by, great years to keep making amazing music..  I don't want this to come out when the years have caught up to him.. People can say the stones, aerosmith, kiss or whoever else that's old, but I'll be honest I don't enjoy seeing old guys around-55 60 running around like their heyday.. It's good but it's just not the same.. Maybe if axl aged in front of us it would be easier..
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2004, 01:19:55 AM »

If someone writes a song like Madagascar, there skills are obviously very good when it comes to pouring your emotions into lyrics.  That song is amazing.  Contraband was a very good album, but Madagascar is by far way above any song on that album.  I'm sure Duff knows where credit is due when it comes to Axl. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: