Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 02:47:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227993 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Prince
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prince  (Read 82433 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2006, 12:02:26 AM »

buy Purple Rain and remember while listening that he is playing every single instrument by himself.

So sorry, D old boy, but I'm going to have to correct you on that one. Prince actually recorded few songs on the Purple Rain Soundtrack with the Revolution. In fact, the final version of Purple Rain and Computer blue are basically live recordings from a show that Prince and the Revolution performed at First Avenue, MPLS in August 1983 (with a few overdubs thrown in for good measure).

Anyway, enough with the trivia. I bought 3121 on the day of its release, and while I like it, I prefer Musiclogy overall. 3121's strongest suit is its dancier tracks (like 'Love', 'Get on the Boat', and the fantastic 'Black Sweat'), and I'm also digging 'Beautiful Loved and Blessed'. 'Fury' pales next to the live versions I have heard, though. Overall, I think that while it doesn't break any new ground, 3121 at least matches the best of Princes criminally ignored mid 90's output. Even the artwork recalls the 'Emancipation' and 'Gold Experience' albums.

Prince wrote all the instruments was what I was trying to say. Most people think that Lisa and Wendy wrote Purple Rain but that was just for the movie, Prince actually wrote that entire song by himself.

Im gonna disagree with u whole heartedly and very adamantly about that statement.

For me THe Gold Experience and Emancipation are 2 of the top 5 Prince albums of all time. Those albums are incredible.

3121 for me is on the same level as Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic, solid, good but not great album.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2006, 09:21:00 AM »

That Black Sweat song has to be about the crappest thing i've heard in years - sounds like it was a b-side from Michael Jackson's Dangerous album - identical style, heard it all before and some 15 years ago....

jeez izzy your a tough customer. sorry to hear that buddy. what were u expecting something that was gonna change music? lol. i know its nothing new but the beat is awesome and its a fun song.

lol izzys always awkward!

html sucks
Is he struggling?
Rocker

Why are you reading this?

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2006, 04:11:21 PM »

buy Purple Rain and remember while listening that he is playing every single instrument by himself.

So sorry, D old boy, but I'm going to have to correct you on that one. Prince actually recorded few songs on the Purple Rain Soundtrack with the Revolution. In fact, the final version of Purple Rain and Computer blue are basically live recordings from a show that Prince and the Revolution performed at First Avenue, MPLS in August 1983 (with a few overdubs thrown in for good measure).

Anyway, enough with the trivia. I bought 3121 on the day of its release, and while I like it, I prefer Musiclogy overall. 3121's strongest suit is its dancier tracks (like 'Love', 'Get on the Boat', and the fantastic 'Black Sweat'), and I'm also digging 'Beautiful Loved and Blessed'. 'Fury' pales next to the live versions I have heard, though. Overall, I think that while it doesn't break any new ground, 3121 at least matches the best of Princes criminally ignored mid 90's output. Even the artwork recalls the 'Emancipation' and 'Gold Experience' albums.

Prince wrote all the instruments was what I was trying to say. Most people think that Lisa and Wendy wrote Purple Rain but that was just for the movie, Prince actually wrote that entire song by himself.

Im gonna disagree with u whole heartedly and very adamantly about that statement.

For me THe Gold Experience and Emancipation are 2 of the top 5 Prince albums of all time. Those albums are incredible.

3121 for me is on the same level as Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic, solid, good but not great album.

Fair enough, Prince did compose 'Purple Rain' alone. He just didn't play everything on the track, unlike most of his other recordings.

It's been too long since you've had your ass kicked properly!:

www.reverbnation.com/papersun
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2006, 02:44:42 PM »

just bought Purple Rain. only listened to about once so far... my favorite is "The Beautiful ONes" with "Purple Rain" and "When Doves Cry" close behind, i hope the others grow. i will get back to u guys after i give it some more proper listens.

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2006, 06:44:34 PM »

Every song is awesome on that CD

Take Me With You is unbelievable

Listen to his Guitar work on "Lets Go Crazy"  in the movie the dude is playing the piano with his foot while also playing the guitar Shocked Shocked

Computer Blue is probably most people's least favorite but I love it as well.

Darlin Nikki of course is great, I would Die 4 U, Baby Im a Star this album is awesome.

There were also 4 outtakes that u just would not believe.

1.Erotic City *one of Prince's most famous songs that was never released its a Bside from Purple Rain
2.God *this song is haunting* if anyone saw his Musicology tour, his saxophone player did a solo of it which was spinetinglilng.
3.Another Lonely Christmas, very sad emotional powerful Christmas song about the death of a loved one around Christmas time.
4.17Days *in my opinion this is one of Prince's greatest ballads. I have them all somewhere and will share. It will take me awhile c ause my Bsides CD is at my house in Kentucky but When I go back ill upload and let people hear these.

GnFnR87
Legend

« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2006, 10:15:45 PM »

Every song is awesome on that CD

Take Me With You is unbelievable

Listen to his Guitar work on "Lets Go Crazy"? in the movie the dude is playing the piano with his foot while also playing the guitar Shocked Shocked

Computer Blue is probably most people's least favorite but I love it as well.

Darlin Nikki of course is great, I would Die 4 U, Baby Im a Star this album is awesome.

There were also 4 outtakes that u just would not believe.

1.Erotic City *one of Prince's most famous songs that was never released its a Bside from Purple Rain
2.God *this song is haunting* if anyone saw his Musicology tour, his saxophone player did a solo of it which was spinetinglilng.
3.Another Lonely Christmas, very sad emotional powerful Christmas song about the death of a loved one around Christmas time.
4.17Days *in my opinion this is one of Prince's greatest ballads. I have them all somewhere and will share. It will take me awhile c ause my Bsides CD is at my house in Kentucky but When I go back ill upload and let people hear these.

D, u are the man. thank u. i just have to say i always look forward to ur posts and ur insights on of course Guns N' Roses and the other bands/artists from bad obsession when i go on this site. beer

GnFnR87
Legend

« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2006, 11:36:33 PM »

well, my full review of Purple Rain:

it is an excellant album. only 9 songs but all of them are great. it is one of the few albums i've listened to that has NO filler whatsoever. the only album like that i can think of is U2's Achtung Baby. anyway, Prince has really impressed me as a guitarists these solos are wonderful, his vocals are godlike, from the screaming to the gentle whispers and everything in between. "The Beautiful Ones" is still a standout to me and i think i like it the most on the whole record, i just love that intro and the ending where he screeches "'cause baby i want you". fantastic. When Doves Cry is also are great song that i really cannot get bored of. Purple Rain the song is wonderful and i cant get enough of his vocals during the verses. the only thing that dissapoints me is the chorus i wish he could've done a bit more then just repeating "purple rain" a couple times. but thats my ONLY complaint. these  songs are just pure melodic bliss. Prince is a genius.

anyway i have this and 3121 which i think is great but i havent listened to it as much as i wanted to cuz i got Purple Rain soon after. i'm just wondering where to go from here, im thinkin' Sign O' The Times, 1999, or Emancipation?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 11:42:20 PM by GnFnR87 » Logged

EccoTides
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2006, 02:15:55 AM »

I'd skip 1999 for now - I'm one of the few that finds the album a bit weak, despite the fact that 4 or 5 songs are absolutely killer.

I'd recommend Sign O' The Times if you want Prince at his most "minimalistic" - The songwriting on that album is amazing.

On the other side of the spectrum, there's Parade, which is lively, lush, exciting, and a ton of fun - The compositions on this album are kooky and energetic, but it all holds together very well.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2006, 04:38:21 PM »

it is an excellant album. only 9 songs but all of them are great. it is one of the few albums i've listened to that has NO filler whatsoever. the only album like that i can think of is U2's Achtung Baby. anyway, Prince has really impressed me as a guitarists these solos are wonderful, his vocals are godlike, from the screaming to the gentle whispers and everything in between. "The Beautiful Ones" is still a standout to me and i think i like it the most on the whole record, i just love that intro and the ending where he screeches "'cause baby i want you". fantastic. When Doves Cry is also are great song that i really cannot get bored of. Purple Rain the song is wonderful and i cant get enough of his vocals during the verses. the only thing that dissapoints me is the chorus i wish he could've done a bit more then just repeating "purple rain" a couple times. but thats my ONLY complaint. these? songs are just pure melodic bliss. Prince is a genius.

anyway i have this and 3121 which i think is great but i havent listened to it as much as i wanted to cuz i got Purple Rain soon after. i'm just wondering where to go from here, im thinkin' Sign O' The Times, 1999, or Emancipation?

Emancipation in my opinion is his greatest work ever.

36 songs and all of them are fantastic.

They kinda teeter towards the love/ballad style cause he got married and all that, but it is amazing.

U can usually find it pretty cheap nowadays and I highly recommend it.

If u want a big overview of his work buy "the hits 1" and "The Hits 2"

GnFnR87
Legend

« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2006, 07:11:29 PM »

it is an excellant album. only 9 songs but all of them are great. it is one of the few albums i've listened to that has NO filler whatsoever. the only album like that i can think of is U2's Achtung Baby. anyway, Prince has really impressed me as a guitarists these solos are wonderful, his vocals are godlike, from the screaming to the gentle whispers and everything in between. "The Beautiful Ones" is still a standout to me and i think i like it the most on the whole record, i just love that intro and the ending where he screeches "'cause baby i want you". fantastic. When Doves Cry is also are great song that i really cannot get bored of. Purple Rain the song is wonderful and i cant get enough of his vocals during the verses. the only thing that dissapoints me is the chorus i wish he could've done a bit more then just repeating "purple rain" a couple times. but thats my ONLY complaint. these? songs are just pure melodic bliss. Prince is a genius.

Emancipation in my opinion is his greatest work ever.

36 songs and all of them are fantastic.

They kinda teeter towards the love/ballad style cause he got married and all that, but it is amazing.

U can usually find it pretty cheap nowadays and I highly recommend it.

If u want a big overview of his work buy "the hits 1" and "The Hits 2"

36 songs? 3 CDs?? WOW. jeez i'd like to get Sign Of The Times or this record but im kinda strapped for cash now and both of them are over 20 bucks....

i might just wait and enjoy 3121 and Purple Rain for now... i'll see.

GnFnR87
Legend

« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2006, 02:21:48 PM »

U GUYS HAVE GOT TO SEE THIS!!!

Prince, Jeff Lyne, and Tom Petty playing While My Guitar Gently Weeps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GZKBTpMllc

(Prince begins soloing and steals the show about half way through)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 02:25:03 PM by GnFnR87 » Logged

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2006, 06:55:11 AM »

im listening to his album musicology...did many people think this was any good?

html sucks
Lara
I Finck therefore I am
Legend

« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2006, 08:36:41 AM »

I've only listened to random tracks by Prince, but 'When Doves Cry' is one of my favorite songs ever.

What does 3121 stand for?  Huh  Huh
EccoTides
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2006, 01:15:55 PM »

im listening to his album musicology...did many people think this was any good?

It was critically praised back when it came out, but when the hype died down a year or so later, a lot of people retracted their positive comments - Most fans and critics consider it to be a rather boring album, but it still has its fans.

I think it's an average album, probably toward the bottom of Prince's output. It's nice as a very "chilled out" album though, but I'm used to his more energetic work in the '80s and '90s.
GnFnR87
Legend

« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2006, 09:58:11 AM »

I've only listened to random tracks by Prince, but 'When Doves Cry' is one of my favorite songs ever.

What does 3121 stand for?? Huh? Huh

i believe 3121 its the address of his house. he has tons of parties and stuff.

so prince is playingt at the half time show of the superbowl, that should be cool, i wonder what song(s) he'll play?

AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2006, 01:04:53 PM »

Something, something and Purple Rain.
GnFnR87
Legend

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2006, 02:09:17 PM »

Something, something and Purple Rain.

yeah thats what i was hoping, maybe When Does Cry, Black Sweat or Fury, and Purple Rain. that would be badass.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 02:29:03 PM by GnFnR87 » Logged

Risico
Rocker

You will lose everything...

« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2006, 07:56:02 PM »

Actually, I think PR is too subdued for a halftime show - I'm thinking Let's Go Crazy, When Doves Cry, and something new.

Even though he's doing the 3121 shows in Vegas at the moment, I think they represent the end of 3121's run - Something tells me he'll be onto a new project in '07.

When all is said n' done, we're not the only ones...
GnFnR87
Legend

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2006, 08:17:18 PM »

hey Prince wrote and performed a song for the animated movie Happy Feet that just came out. its called "Song of the Heart"

http://www.amazon.com/Happy-Feet-Original-Soundtrack/dp/B000I5X7ZW/sr=1-1/qid=1165886147/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-3442354-2913641?ie=UTF8&s=music

Risico
Rocker

You will lose everything...

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2006, 12:15:17 AM »

That song's cute - I like it. It's also so pleasantly, effortlessly fun, it shames pretty much everything on 3121, IMO. I enjoyed the album at first, but it's the only Prince record that's really lost its luster for me.

When all is said n' done, we're not the only ones...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: