Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:02:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Rapper O.D.B. Collapses, Dies in Studio
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rapper O.D.B. Collapses, Dies in Studio  (Read 4155 times)
The New Fiona Apple
So, what do you think of my pic?
VIP

I guess I just wasn't made for these times

« on: November 14, 2004, 12:52:09 AM »

Rapper O.D.B. Collapses, Dies in Studio

By NEKESA MUMBI MOODY, AP Music Writer

NEW YORK - The rap artist O.D.B., whose utterly unique rhymes, wild lifestyle and incessant legal troubles made him one of the most vivid characters in hip-hop, collapsed and died inside a recording studio Saturday. He was 35.

O.D.B. had complained of chest pains before collapsing at the Manhattan studio, and was dead by the time paramedics arrived, said Gabe Tesoriero, a spokesman for O.D.B.'s record label, Roc-a-Fella.

The cause of death was not immediately clear, but O.D.B. had recently finished a prison sentence for drug possession and escaping a rehab clinic. He would have turned 36 on Monday.

O.D.B. ? also known as Ol' Dirty Bastard, Dirt McGirt, Big Baby Jesus or his legal name of Russell Jones ? was a founding member of the seminal rap group the Wu-Tang Clan in the early 1990s. With his unorthodox delivery ? alternately slurred, hyper and nonsensical ? O.D.B. stood out even in the nine-man Clan, which featured such future stars as Method Man, RZA and Ghostface Killah.

The Wu-Tang blueprint was for each member to pursue solo projects, and O.D.B.'s were among the best. He released hit singles such as "Shimmy Shimmy Ya" and "Got Your Money," and appeared on remixes with artists like Mariah Carey.

"There's nobody like him in the game," RZA told The Associated Press in an April interview, when asked if O.D.B. could resume his career after prison. "He's got a lot of problems he's got to iron out, of course, but as far as a one-of-a-kind person, a one-of-a-kind artist, he's one of a generation, one of a lifetime. He's a very rare commodity."

But as his fame increased, so did his erratic behavior, and fans came to expect the unexpected from O.D.B.

When MTV News followed him around at the height of his popularity, he took the camera crew and several of his kids (he was said to have more than a dozen, by numerous mothers) to the welfare office ? in a limousine ? to get an allotment of food stamps.

And he received them.

In February 1998, he crashed the stage at the Grammy Awards and hijacked a microphone from singer Shawn Colvin (news) as she accepted an award, apparently upset over losing the best rap album Grammy to P. Diddy (then known as Puff Daddy (news - web sites)). He complained that he spent a lot of money for new clothes because he thought he was going to win. The rapper later apologized.

Over the years, he was wounded in shootings and arrested on a veritable laundry list of charges, including menacing security officers, illegally possessing body armor, driving with a suspended license, shoplifting and threatening a former girlfriend.

In 2000, after escaping a court-ordered stint in a California rehabilitation center, authorities searched for him for a month. He was finally arrested in Philadelphia ? three days after performing in a New York City concert with his Wu-Tang clique.

He was sentenced in 2001 to two to four years in prison for drug possession, plus two concurrent years for escaping from the clinic. He was released in 2003 and immediately signed with Roc-a-Fella.

He heralded his return with a news conference alongside singer Carey ? pop fans may know him best for his memorable cameo on her hit "Fantasy," featuring rhymes like "me and Mariah, go back like babies with pacifiers."

Tesoriero said O.D.B. had been working on his comeback album for more than a year and was almost finished.

"Russell inspired all of us with his spirit, wit, and tremendous heart," Roc-A-Fella founder Damon Dash said in a statement. "The world has lost a great talent, but we mourn the loss of our friend."

His mother, Cherry Jones, said she received the news of her son's death in a phone call, which she called "every mother's worst dream."

?

"To the public he was known as Old Dirty Bastard, but to me he was known as Rusty. The kindest most generous soul on earth," her statement said. "Russell was more than a rapper, he was a loving father, brother, uncle, and most of all, son."

(Corrects Wu-Tang to 9 members, sted 8, in 4th graf. INSERTS 1 graf after 5th pvs, 'The Wu-Tang...,' to RAISE RZA quote from end of story. SUBS 7th graf pvs, 'When MTV...,' to ADD he arrived at welfare office in a limo. INSERTS 1 graf after 10th pvs, 'Over the years...,' to ADD that he once performed a concert while sought by authorities. Note contents of rapper's name throughout. Should stand.)

-----------------------------------

It's a shame. I've never liked rap much (save for a few), but I've always liked Wu Tang because of their creativity. Ol Dirty was easily one of my favorite MC's because of his wacky sense of humor and his allegiance to Brookyln.

RIP ODB.

"Wu Tang is for the kids"
-Ol' Dirty Bastard

beer Here's one to you Dirt McGirt

crying
 no

?I only know what I read [in the press],?
Bobby Valentine

Vicarious Existence is a fucking waste of time
-Axl Rose
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 04:13:20 AM »

"Oh baby, this is dedicated to all the pretty girls.... all the pretty girls in the world... and the ugly girls too! Cuz to me you're pretty anyway, baby!" - ODB

"Take that equipment back to the store, we don't wanna hear that weak shit no more! Do anybody else make hits anymore?" - Dirt McGirt

I wasn't expecting this... R.I.P.
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 09:44:10 AM »

R.I.P

Baby Slash//

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004, 11:33:20 AM »

Too bad, he was a funny, unique guy.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Furious Styles
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2004, 01:20:43 PM »

Cry

RIP Shimmy Shimmy AKA Dirt McGirt AKA Ol' Dirty Bastard

One of my all-time favourite artists in one of the most superb group of rap lyricists ever assembled. He will be missed, gone but not forgotten

no
Is he struggling?
Rocker

Why are you reading this?

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2004, 02:02:49 PM »

I'm not into rap but I always thought ODB was very... entertaining. Plus, I actually quite likes 'Got your Money'. 

It's been too long since you've had your ass kicked properly!:

www.reverbnation.com/papersun
Suskind
Axl's bitch
Headliner

And he will rise tall among these shadows once again...

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2004, 02:40:46 PM »

RIP  Cry

What a shame .

Live like a suicide?
jgfnsr
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2004, 07:59:02 PM »

Now who will the youth of the ghetto look to for a role model?? Huh
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 06:44:05 AM »

Now who will the youth of the ghetto look to for a role model?  Huh

What?

Anyways, R.I.P...

...That actually shocked me more than I would have thought.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004, 10:12:04 AM »

The Wu-Tang Clan is easily my favorite rap grou...have been for many years.  And Ive always loved O.D.B., so Im very sad to hear this.  He was a complete one-of-a-kind...theres no entertainer like him.  Stealing the show at the 1998 Grammys by bumrushing the stage, riding a limosuine to the welfare office, running from the police a few years ago...He was the demented James Brown of rap.  And he will definitely be missed. 

kupirock
Somewhat Damaged
Legend

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2004, 10:14:48 AM »

RIP Undecided

"Hearing Don't Cry isn't all that exciting considering there are many youtube clips available of it being performed live." -from mygnr.com-
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: