Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:21:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Most Overrated songs
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Most Overrated songs  (Read 16217 times)
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2004, 12:52:46 AM »

I partially agree with Izzy here, believe it or not. The Number of the Beast is a mediocre song on a filler laden album. If not for Hallowed by thy Name and The Prisoner, I would say it's Maiden's worst of their 7 classic albums. But the strength of those 2 songs alone makes it a decent album. Smiley

But come on, saying "anything" by Maiden is overrated is just wrong. Stupid, even. Check out lesser known songs like Phantom of the Opera, Strange World, Revelations, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Mother Russia, and Deja Vu. They have so many amazing songs besides their big radio hits. There's a reason why they are arguably the most successful metal band ever!

Oh yeah, I'll go ahead and say I hate Nirvana, blah blah blah. Grunge is deader than hair metal. I don't see why it even has to be brought up anymore. And stairway is NOT overrated, it's just overplayed!
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2004, 01:10:42 AM »

I agree with Kashmir. It's an average song, nowhere near Led Zeppelin's best.

I personally like Teen Spirit but it is overrated. And Stairway bores me beyond belief now.

I agree with Stoned about Sweet Child. But i wouldn't list it as overrated but overplayed is certainly correct.

Rock N Roll All night?...I don't consider it underated or overated, i just view the way it is a good rock song nothing more.

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2004, 05:41:33 AM »

When you're saying Teen Spirit is overrated, it kind of depends on what you mean. Was it ever supposed to be anything more than a catchy pop song? Within that scope I think it does its job. Stairway, on the other hand, is considered to be this epic masterpiece. So it's a whole different deal when comparing those two.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2004, 06:01:55 AM »

sweet child o mine is waaaaaayyyy overated. thats one.
Live and Let die too.

non-gnr.
gangster paradise
any madonna song

Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2004, 09:45:25 AM »

dude u gotta respect our forefathers more

Why? Because they were the best bands of their era doesn't mean they remain that way forever, they have all been surpassed considerably. Fair enough they pioneered 'heavier' music and i respect them for that but that doesn't improve the music itself.

Iron Maiden kick ass... i suggest you listen to some more of thier stuff

Are the four albums of their's i have not enough to make a judgement on? Tongue Cheesy lyrics, technically sound but dull guitar work, not impressed.

But come on, saying "anything" by Maiden is overrated is just wrong. Stupid, even.

confused

It's an opinion on music, if its ''wrong'' then so is ur view on Nirvana, which i could call stupid too if i wanted to....music is subjective and the topic was on personal opinions ok
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 09:47:07 AM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2004, 09:26:40 PM »

"Smells Like A Teen Spirit" will always be a great song and is one of the reasons Nirvana is treated as if they were this generation's Beatles when they were really more like this generation's Sex Pistols - a good band, but not utter pop geniuses.  Still, few songs have more fist-pumping, anthemic potential.

For those who said "Sweet Child O' Mine" - shame on you.  BEST SONG EVER.  I never get tired of it.

Kiss' "Rock and Roll All Nite" is a definite contender.  It's a good, fun rocker, but it's way overplayed, and Kiss has lots of better songs - "Detroit Rock City", anyone?

"Stairway To Heaven" used to be my favourite song (until I heard "Sweet Child O' Mine").  It wasn't just how overplayed it was.  A few years ago I was at a school fair or something like that, when I happened to pass two of my teachers playing a rendition of "Stairway".  Call me a rock 'n' roll ageist, but I died a little inside.  I mean, I still like the song, but I'm a little tired of it.

Now I'll add a few of my own selections for overrated songs to the list:

1.  Eric Clapton, "Tears In Heaven"
Clapton was never one of my favourites - his blues purism annoys me, and he has a huge fanbase for what, as far as I'm concerned, is a not particularly illustrious solo career, if you take away gems like "Layla" and "Wonderful Tonight".  This song is supposed to be this amazing ballad, but I never quite got it...it seems boring to me, and not all that catchy.

2.  Radiohead, "Lucky"
One of the most popular songs from their most popular album, and yet it sucks.  Another boring guitar riff, another whining ramble from the oh-so-annoying Thom Yorke.  Radiohead does have some good tunes, but this isn't one of them.

3.  Evanescence, "Falling Under"
"Bring Me To Life" was okay, even if it got overplayed and I hate it now.  But this song was nothing special, and yet it only put more fuel into the Evanescence engine.  The singer is not known for subtlety, and this song is just more of the same old oh-so-vague modern rock angst.

4.  Radiohead, "Creep"
Their first big hit, but I can't find anything I like about it.  The music is barely nonexistent before the big feedback-soaked guitars come in, and Thom Yorke's vocal melody is barely there.  Basically, it's minimalist angst, but without anything to keep me interested.  A truly lame song.

5.  Metallica, "Harvester of Sorrow"
A fan favourite.  I don't think there's anything special about it.  More from Metallica's worst album (until St. Anger).

6.  Bon Jovi, "Always"
One of Bon Jovi's most popular power ballads, and it's like all the others, but more overwraught and less catchy.  It's almost like a caricature of the worst aspects of Bon Jovi power ballads.  Give me "Bed Of Roses" any day.

7.  Oasis, "Shakermaker"
A lame melody, which I heard was ripped off from a Coca-Cola jingle.  It shows.  Worsened only by...

8.  Oasis, "Cigarettes and Alcohol"
Such an obvious rip-off of T. Rex's "Bang A Gong (Get It On)" I can't even listen to it.  People always say Defintely Maybe was this amazing album, but it's got too many weak songs for me to hop onboard the bandwagon.  (What's The Story) Morning Glory? and Heathen Chemistry are far superior.

9.  Sugar Ray, "Fly"
The breakthrough hit by Sugar Ray, but not all that interesting to me, and certainly not as catchy as thier later stuff like "Every Morning" or "Answer The Phone".

10.  M?tley Cr?e, "Without You"
Very soupy, very contrived hair metal ballad.  It's no "Home Sweet Home".  THUNK.

11.  Nirvana, "Heart-Shaped Box"
You know when they say Nirvana was great because they added catchy pop melodies to hardcore punk?  That's only true some of the time.  This song has the structure of a commercial song, but little else.  It's mostly the kind of tuneless screaming and halfhearted melodies that get me right out of a Nirvana mood and make me put on a Def Leppard album.

12.  The Rolling Stones, "Angie"
I've heard better.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2004, 02:34:16 AM »

Which 4 Maiden albums did you get? I can understand hating No Prayer for the Dying or The X Factor. And Maiden can't be compared to Nirvana at all. Just consider how few people know any Nirvana songs besides Smells like Teen Spirit or maybe Heart Shaped Box, but Maiden has dozens of classic songs from a long career. And the greatest bassist ever!  ok
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2004, 12:12:39 PM »

Which 4 Maiden albums did you get?

Powerslave, Dance of Death, Seventh Son of Seventh Son and Edward the Great

I admit certain maiden songs are very good - Two Miniutes to Midnight, Wasted Years and Infinite Dreams but three songs from god knows how many albums is not good, the rest while not bad (though vast swathes are) is just so average, baffled how three guitarists produce such uninspired guitar work....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2004, 12:17:50 PM »

5.? Metallica, "Harvester of Sorrow"
A fan favourite.? I don't think there's anything special about it.? More from Metallica's worst album (until St. Anger).

Damn straight, finally someone else that agree's and justice for all was naff, never have i heard a more boring album.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 12:33:01 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2004, 11:02:19 PM »

not to be picky mattman but evanescence song is called "goin under" not "fallin under"

Always by bon jovi was actually pulled from a movie soundtrack and shelved, in the boxset booklet jon talks how they almost didnt use their greatest selling single to date.

always is about a stalker, not a sappy love song, its about a guy who basically stalks a woman he loves.

dont see how tears in heaven is overrated thats a powerful fuckin song right there.  teen spirit sparked a musical revolution so it isnt over rated at all.

overrated songs i cant really think of too many, i dont think u can overrate or underate songs

someones trash may be someones song they live by or what people think is the greatest song might be the biggest piece of shit i ever heard. the great thing about music is its open for interpretation by the listener and every listener gets something different from a song, which is why music is universal. so i find it impossible to rate songs.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
DEAD HORSE
VIP

08.08.08 ?

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2004, 12:05:41 AM »

I think people tend to get confused with overplayed and overrated, but anyway, i dont wanna get away from the topic, but i think John Petrucci is the most overrated guitarrist ever, in my opinion , he is a good guitarrist but not the best......and yes, i got all dream theater albums and liquid tension's. what i mean is that i've to listened all of 'em trying to find the master on this man, but nothing happens  no

Overated songs:

any Dream Theater song.   hihi

If the world would end today... Wink
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2004, 03:53:20 AM »

? teen spirit sparked a musical revolution so it isnt over rated at all.

That's why it's way overrated. The song is below mediocre, it shouldn't be remembered by more than 1,000 hardcore Nirvana fans. But no, the opposite happened: everybody knows this song.  Undecided

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2004, 03:55:13 AM »

Overated songs:

any Dream Theater song.? ?hihi

How can be Dream Theater overrated when only some people know them?  Huh

Rollin' on the streets
Lord Blackadder
Rocker

BlAdder

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2004, 11:30:50 AM »

Kashmir has one of the greatest riffs ever.

I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull
DEAD HORSE
VIP

08.08.08 ?

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2004, 11:40:35 AM »

Overated songs:

How can be Dream Theater overrated when only some people know them?? Huh

I dont know man, but in my country everysingle person knows about this band, that's why i mentioned 'em.

If the world would end today... Wink
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2004, 01:05:47 PM »

Overated songs:

How can be Dream Theater overrated when only some people know them?? Huh

I dont know man, but in my country everysingle person knows about this band, that's why i mentioned 'em.

Where do you live? Here in Hungary about 30 percent of rock fans know them and most of them do like them, but as far as I know they don't sell really well in other countries (Awake had about 100,000 copies in the US etc.). Well, here they had Top3 albums  yes

Rollin' on the streets
jgfnsr
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2004, 10:02:50 PM »

stairway is far more overrated than teen spirit, it's not even a particularly good song, at least teen spirit had passion

how about november rain...

Damn you to hell.
Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2004, 01:19:12 PM »

I have to agree with TheDude.
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2004, 04:54:17 PM »

1.  Eric Clapton, "Tears In Heaven"
Clapton was never one of my favourites - his blues purism annoys me, and he has a huge fanbase for what, as far as I'm concerned, is a not particularly illustrious solo career, if you take away gems like "Layla" and "Wonderful Tonight".  This song is supposed to be this amazing ballad, but I never quite got it...it seems boring to me, and not all that catchy.

One of Claptons best song, he wrtoe it about his son that died, it?s fucking beautiful

2.  Radiohead, "Lucky"
One of the most popular songs from their most popular album, and yet it sucks.  Another boring guitar riff, another whining ramble from the oh-so-annoying Thom Yorke.  Radiohead does have some good tunes, but this isn't one of them.

Every fucking Radiohed song is crap

.  Evanescence, "Falling Under"
"Bring Me To Life" was okay, even if it got overplayed and I hate it now.  But this song was nothing special, and yet it only put more fuel into the Evanescence engine.  The singer is not known for subtlety, and this song is just more of the same old oh-so-vague modern rock angst
Er, it?s Going Under.Apart from that, agreed

5.  Metallica, "Harvester of Sorrow"
A fan favourite.  I don't think there's anything special about it.  More from Metallica's worst album (until St. Anger).
One of those Metallica songs that are sooo damn similar to other Metallica songs.

6.  Bon Jovi, "Always"
One of Bon Jovi's most popular power ballads, and it's like all the others, but more overwraught and less catchy.  It's almost like a caricature of the worst aspects of Bon Jovi power ballads.  Give me "Bed Of Roses" any day.

Although Bon Jovi normally does some decent ballads, this one is crap.

7.  Oasis, "Shakermaker"
A lame melody, which I heard was ripped off from a Coca-Cola jingle.  It shows.  Worsened only by...

8.  Oasis, "Cigarettes and Alcohol"
Such an obvious rip-off of T. Rex's "Bang A Gong (Get It On)" I can't even listen to it.  People always say Defintely Maybe was this amazing album, but it's got too many weak songs for me to hop onboard the bandwagon.  (What's The Story) Morning Glory? and Heathen Chemistry are far superior.

You cant be serious!Almost all Oasins song are waaaay over reated, but are waaaaayyy better than loooots of things.

Sugar Ray, "Fly"
The breakthrough hit by Sugar Ray, but not all that interesting to me, and certainly not as catchy as thier later stuff like "Every Morning" or "Answer The Phone

Horrible song,

11.  Nirvana, "Heart-Shaped Box"
You know when they say Nirvana was great because they added catchy pop melodies to hardcore punk?  That's only true some of the time.  This song has the structure of a commercial song, but little else.  It's mostly the kind of tuneless screaming and halfhearted melodies that get me right out of a Nirvana mood and make me put on a Def Leppard album

I still cant understand why so many people hate Nirvana.I mean I dont LOVE them, but they were pretty good.

12.  The Rolling Stones, "Angie"
I've heard better.

Well, I havent.
Starway To Heaven

I cant belive people here are calling this song, boring or overrated, It?s one of the bast song ever!!

Nuff said.

Baby Slash//

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
Is he struggling?
Rocker

Why are you reading this?

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2004, 05:08:28 PM »

Come to think of it, I Don't think 'Kashmir' is too great either. The guitar riff and the rhythm track are superd, but I find tit goes on for too long without anything much happening and that the vocals are meandering. It's not even Led zep's best Eastern falvoured epic, IMO (that title goes to 'Carouselambra').

Also

Queen - We Will Rock You Cleverly conceived sports stadium fodder, but it's been played to death and it doesn't have very much substance. Plus, it's been murdered by many acts over the years, often with the creators assistance (for example, by Five, John Farnham and, I'm afraid, Dear old Axl).

Metallica - One The first five minutes of masterful, particularly Kirk's perfectly measured solo's. The last two minutes of thrashing around are needless, in this instance.

Nirvana - Teen Spirit Maybe a good song for thrashing around to, but the simplistic dynamics and crap lyrics mean I cannot take it seriously.

Blur - Song 2 See above.

Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the UK Utterly inept. The same goes for every other boring, infantile 'Smash the System' rant that they or any of their contemporaries and followers have ever written.

Darkness - I believe in a thing called love A completely stupid cock rock anthem by numbers, which insults all of our intelligence with it's layers of ironic posturing.

Oasis - Some might say I really like some of Oasis's songs. However, this one does nothing for me.

Run DMC/Aerosmith - Walks this Way Very good as far as crossovers go. What really bugs me is that some people think it is a Run DMC song with a couple of old blokes playing along. It was also the first famous rap/rock record, and therefore was indirectly responsible for that awful nu-metal fad from a couple of years back. Which leads me to...

Limp Bizkit - Rollin' Hmm, no one really rates this one at all. But it still gets quite a lot of airplay, and this bothers me. Completely lunkheaded lyrics collide with lumpen riffs and pointless scratchy bits to create one painful listening experience.

Linkin Park - In the end Like all songs of its ilk, this has the most dreary guitar riff, and is made even worse by the Chester Bennigton's awful woe is me whine-y scream-y lyrics and the other guys attempt at rapping (how can a professional musician be so devoid of flow)?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 05:19:02 PM by Is he struggling? » Logged

It's been too long since you've had your ass kicked properly!:

www.reverbnation.com/papersun
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: