Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:11:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Albums so great/awful, you can't believe the band that made them
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Albums so great/awful, you can't believe the band that made them  (Read 6377 times)
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« on: November 17, 2004, 01:04:08 AM »

What are some albums so great, they simply BLOW YOU AWAY when you find out who made them? For me, Sad Wings of Destiny was such an album. I heard the song Victim of Changes from a friend, and he said it was a Judas Priest song. At the time, I was used to commercial, bland Priest songs like You've Got Another Thing Coming, Freewheel Burning, and Living After Midnight. I couldn't believe how much I was missing from their classic era!  Shocked

On the other hand, there are some albums so awful, you are disgusted when you learn who made them. Metallica's St. Anger (hell, everything after Justice for that matter!!!!) and Queenscryche's Q2K and Tribe are so bad, I couldn't believe how far great bands can fall. And of course, theres The Spaghetti Incident?  no

I think it's an interesting subject. Loser bands can turn around and make classics, and classic bands can make duds. It just shows no band can be completely trusted to make a great album every time.
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 01:14:38 AM »

Metallica's St Anger as well for me.

Everything after MOP was not Metallica in anyway personally. But St Anger Undecided  how did this band go from Ride and Master to St Anger. I'll never be able to understand why.

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 09:53:28 AM »

Lol - funny how we all immedietly think of Metallica

I'd put and justice for all, Load, Reload and St Anger in the category of albums so bad i can't believe they were made by the same band that put out Master of Puppets

Michael Jackson's Invincible was a harrowing experience, can't believe a man of such ability could have made it

Damageplan - New found power, how Dimebag could have gone from Pantera to that no

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 02:40:53 AM »

... And Justice For All isn't bad, it's just too complex for many listeners!!1one11  rant

St. Anger was bad.
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 06:34:05 AM »

With a thread title like that there was only going to be one outcome - another Metallica discussion!!

St Anger is a hard one to explain.  It was a culmination of things that affected them:  James' rehab completely changed him it seems.  Lars still being a bit of a nob.  The bass player issue.  Bob Rock.  The bloke they had in to bond them or whatever it was he did.  Kirk just seemed to go along with it all.  Overall I think they need to admit it was a hugely shit album and either try harder next time or stop making new music.  Simple as that.  ...and Justice or All does NOT belong in the same category as St Anger either, end of story.

Can't think of any shit bands that made one great album???

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 08:06:29 AM »

Pearl Jam's Vitalogy. It was pure crap.  Sad

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 08:34:48 PM »

Neil Young's Greendale would qualify for me as an example of a bad album by a good act, if it weren't for the fact that Neil's albums have always varied greatly in quality.

As for Metallica...it's a shame that you diehard "nothing after Justice" Metallica fans are too blind and close-minded to see that the Black Album and Load are good albums with great songs and production, while ...And Justice For All is an overcomplicated mess with the worst production ever, and only one truly great song.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 10:53:09 PM »

i cant believe the red hot chili peppers made two of the most unbelievable and greatest albums of all time "californication" and "by the way"  who knew that they were THAT talented, they are mind blowing!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
DEAD HORSE
VIP

08.08.08 ?

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 11:47:18 PM »

well , St Anger from Metallica, virtual XI and dance of death from Iron Maiden, Ozzy Osbourne's  The Ultimate Sin ,Megadeth's risk , Kiss's Psycho Circus, are just pure shit  among others , believe me crying

If the world would end today... Wink
kj_jive
Got troll dolls?
VIP

Found a head and an arm in the garbage can

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 11:50:35 PM »

GREAT

Radiohead-Kid A, Amnesiac, Hail to the Theif, OK Computer...all fucking mindblowing and brilliant. ?if you don't get it then you just have bad taste

Mr. Bungle-Disco Volante...Don't know what these guys were up to when they came up with this mess. ?awesome.

The Who-Who's next?...All the synthesizers and everything just made this a Who album like none other

Fantomas-Delirium Cordia...Again, i don't know how Patton conjures up shit like this. ?The only album i know of that will repeatedly scare the shit out of me.

Pink Floyd-Atom Heart Mother- pyschadelic and bizzare. ?This album is incredibly sprawling and unique and ends with the sounds of someone eating breakfast.

Bob Dylan-Blonde on Blonde...not only does he redifine his sound on this album but he creates a sound that is unique to him.

Ween-The Pod, Pure Guava, GodWeenSatan, Quebec, White Pepper etc. ?All of Ween's fucking albums are unreal. ?Incredibly experimental and unique, yet undeniably catchy.

That's about it for now, i guess i'll get back to the bad albums later ok

"This board isn't supposed to be a fucking smiley festival"-Jarmo 3-19-03
jgfnsr
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2004, 10:05:21 PM »

Aerosmith - Just Push Play  Huh Tongue crying

N.I.B
God of Thunder
VIP

Roooowwwwwwrrrrr! Rooowwwwooorrrroorr! Rwwwwaaarr!

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2004, 10:29:33 PM »

Invincible by MJ
i actully liked it

St.Anger
that album was pure crap, waste of $18.00

It's not easy being furry...ever had dandruff on your crotch?
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2004, 10:52:07 PM »

The Strokes- second album just blows big time.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2004, 03:30:39 AM »

i love "just push play" i think its one of aerosmith's best in the permanent vacation era of the band

i also loved micheal jackson's invincible "heaven can wait" is an unbelievable song!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2004, 05:36:05 AM »

So you liked the first album, but hated the second one? That's odd. I thought they were very similar.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
kj_jive
Got troll dolls?
VIP

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2004, 12:12:25 PM »

So you liked the first album, but hated the second one? That's odd. I thought they were very similar.

They are quite similar.  I'm a Strokes fan, I'll admit it, I love em and I thought the second album was great! It's produced a lot better and has some really quality songs on there.

MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2004, 08:51:22 PM »

90's Metallica may be dissapointing for a lot of you,but come on,every album is a masterpiece compared to St. Anger!

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2004, 12:59:11 PM »

Oasis - Standing on the Shoulder of Giant - is crap. The worst album they've done by far. Also Blur's "Think Tank" is shit from beginning to end. The album collects trademark arabian sounds, but the sound doesn't flow. It seems like Albarn and Co were on hash throughout the entire recording and were like "hey, let's record this sound I heard today..."

Red Hot Chili Peppers Californication/By the way. There's a few good songs in there, but there's much evolution in their sound from previous recordings. There's nothing wrong in moving forward, but never lose your identity. Blood Suger Sex Magik and Californication hear like albums from different artists.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 01:03:53 PM by Ignatius » Logged
kj_jive
Got troll dolls?
VIP

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2004, 02:39:19 PM »

Red Hot Chili Peppers Californication/By the way. There's a few good songs in there, but there's much evolution in their sound from previous recordings. There's nothing wrong in moving forward, but never lose your identity. Blood Suger Sex Magik and Californication hear like albums from different artists.

They've always tended to change their sound every few albums or so.  The first three are pure funk goodness, sounds like George Clinton.  Then they went into the whole, BSSM phase which gained them success and radio familiarity.  Now with their last couple albums they seem to have gone into a more pop sound.

Is he struggling?
Rocker

Why are you reading this?

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2004, 04:24:00 PM »

Queen - 'Hot Space'. Their infamous 'disco' album. Actually, there are only 3-4 songs in the disco/R&B mould, and a few of the songs such as 'Under Pressure' and 'Las Palabras De Amor' are superb. But the whole thing suffers from poor sound? (the mix in particular renders a lot of the instruments muddy and indistinct. Though in the case of the awful synth drums on some songs, that's not necessarily a bad thing) and a general lack of inspiration. Indeed, some of the rockier tracks sound like limp attempts at 'new wave' music, while the dancier tracks lack any sort of punch.

The crowning disgrace though, is the song 'Body Language' - a godawful dance/funk track with ridiculous, panting vocals (complete with some off key vocal harmonies), a rubbish synth bass driven backing track and total absence of any of the elements that people Like Queen (for example, Brian May's guitar). The lyrics, too are enough to make any heterosexual man squirm. Sorry to bring Freddie's sexuality into it, but he did get the idea for the track after sampling the dubious pleasures of Munich's disco scene (and New York's Leather bars).

Its not a complete disaster, it's just a world away from the band that just years earlier were writing classics like 'Killer Queen' and 'Bo Rhap'. But I still like it better than the 'A Kind of Magic' album.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 04:28:05 PM by Is he struggling? » Logged

It's been too long since you've had your ass kicked properly!:

www.reverbnation.com/papersun
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: