Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 06:22:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227981 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  For God's sake, the Radiohead thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: For God's sake, the Radiohead thread  (Read 22922 times)
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2007, 07:18:10 PM »

All I know is that since I "purchased" it - to be honest, I paid nothing - I've gotten lots of spam e-mail about winning the UK Lottery.   Like I said above, I haven't liked anything Radiohead has done since "OK Computer," and would never have bought this new album without knowing in advance it had something to offer me.  If I liked what I heard, I'd buy the album once it was physically released, but so far, it's just not for me. 

That said, I appreciate Radiohead going where no band has gone before and changing the rules of the game, and for allowing me the chance to essentially preview their new album at my convenience and at no cost, especially as it's unlikely I'll ever listen to it again.  I will, however, throw in and enjoy The Bends over and over again...
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2007, 08:00:08 AM »

i listen to it since yesterday, that's neat.
oh and they're not the first who do that, Prince released one album online without any record company if i remember correctly.

that's a clever move, all the cash will be for them, not just the 15% when you sell a record...

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2007, 04:38:41 PM »

i listen to it since yesterday, that's neat.
oh and they're not the first who do that, Prince released one album online without any record company if i remember correctly.

that's a clever move, all the cash will be for them, not just the 15% when you sell a record...

I meant the "let fans pay whatever they want" bit.  Has anyone else done that previously?
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2007, 04:43:34 PM »

seems weird that they will ''sell'' it for ?0.00 - i'd have though a ?1 would have made sense.....

All this gimmicky price thing is pointless really - Radiohead havent been big for nearly 7 years - how many people would have bought this album normally anyway? 20,000?

they have sold 1.2 million copies of this new album already, so i think u have misjudged their popularity.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/37670/exclusive-radiohead-sell-12million-copies-of-in-rainbows
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 04:46:01 PM by GnFnR87 » Logged

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2007, 04:56:01 PM »

1.2 million already, well is it any good?

dang i know i'm offtopic now but chinese democracy would have outsold thriller if GNR did this (ok maybe not but maybe AFD?)

wont happen though..
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2007, 05:13:45 PM »

ok maybe not but maybe AFD?

Yeah, possible... If something like this catches on, it will make album-sales comparisons considerably different!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2007, 10:56:02 PM »

From TMZ...

More than six out of 10 people who downloaded the new Radiohead album, "In Rainbows," did so for free after the band gave users the freedom to pay whatever they wanted. How does "nothing" sound?

Of the people that did fork over some cash, the average price paid was about $6. Nearly 1.2 million people downloaded the album -- do the math; that's a total of $2.736 mil.

That's not nearly as much as they would have made selling the album normally, but then again, they don't have to pay a record label any dues. Radiohead, stickin' it to the man!

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2007, 03:47:10 PM »

That's not nearly as much as they would have made selling the album normally, but then again, they don't have to pay a record label any dues. Radiohead, stickin' it to the man!

Exactly. It's still a good payday if you ask me. They don't have to deal with vultures taking their money, while the consumer gets a cheaper price. Win Win.
Irish rose
Rocker

You're Gonna Die!!

« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2007, 03:24:00 PM »

great band but definitely a challenge to listen to..have to be in the right mindset for them..i love ok computer

"I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich"
greendog
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2007, 05:06:05 PM »

They sound like Muse.
greendog
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2007, 05:09:41 PM »

Sorry, il correct myself before I get flamed and killed.

the above was a joke that pisses off Radiohead fans.

I am infact a Radiohead fan. In Rainbows is one of the greatest albums Ive heard... im still getting into the older stuff, but In Rainbows just hit me in the face first listen.
Rapunzel
Yes, I will probably get banned again.
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2008, 10:39:52 AM »

What! No Radiohead thread.

Brilliant musicians - intense music.

The keyboard element is so very Nick Rhodes!  ok

Who says that the voice isn't an instrument in it's own right! Musicians and Singers......hmmm.....I thought they were one and the same..........

beer

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly.
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2008, 07:10:34 PM »

Okay I used to just not really get into Radiohead at all............the music did nothing for me.  Then when I went to see Ricky Gervais in NYC.....they were playing the album "The Bends" over the loudspeaker before he came on and I was just like "Damn this rocks".  The song Black Star came on and I immediately had to have it.  Luckily I used the old blackberry to find the lyrics because I didn't even know it was them at first.  Great fucking song and album.  Have to give a second listen to their other stuff.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
DeN
Legend

« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2011, 06:40:14 AM »

good news, everyone!

they just announced on their website today that the new album, The King of Limbs, will be out this saturday for download!

of course you can pre-order it, or the "newspaper" version, with :

* Two clear 10" vinyl records in a purpose-built record sleeve.
    * A compact disc.
    * Many large sheets of artwork, 625 tiny pieces of artwork and a full-colour piece of oxo-degradeable plastic to hold it all together.
    * The Newspaper Album comes with a digital download that is compatible with all good digital media players.
    * The Newspaper Album will be shipped on Monday 9th May 2011 you can, however, enjoy the download on Saturday 19th February 2011.
    * Shipping is included in the prices shown.
    * One lucky owner of the digital version of The King Of Limbs, purchased from this website, will receive a signed 2 track 12" vinyl.

well...if only it could inspire Guns N'Roses...(yeah, I can dream)

http://www.thekingoflimbs.com/

overmatik
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2011, 10:28:49 AM »

To me Radiohead ended when they decided that they were meant to be the next Pink Floyd. The simply don't have the talent for that, and have relegated their once great music to meaningless experimentalism. Kid A is the most boring and pseudo intellectual piece of music I've ever heard. Undecided

By the way, I own all their 3 first albums and consider Ok Computer to be among the top ten records of the 90s. Wink
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2011, 01:54:12 PM »

Until some time last year, I never liked Radiohead. I kept reading about how awesome and ingenious they were, but every time I heard them on the radio, I thought they sounded..... well, dull. I liked Creep, but that was it.

Then I heard Karma Police on the radio one day, and that "For a minute there, I lost myself" section stuck in my head. I had to download it, and not long after that, I got OK Computer pretty cheap from Amazon and while I'm not quite sure I'd name it the greatest album of all time (like Q magazine readers did a few years back), I really like it. I bought The Bends the other week too and am quite digging that too.

I am happy to say that Radiohead have proved me wrong and I do not find them to be a dull, overrated band any more. Cool I might even download the new album. Cheesy

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
DeN
Legend

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2011, 11:55:55 AM »

Lotus Flower, new video is out :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfOa1a8hYP8

DeN
Legend

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2011, 07:12:24 AM »

very good album! my track of the moment is Codex.

BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2011, 06:45:18 PM »

Can't say I'm digging the new album after the first listen. Undecided The only song that stood out at all to me was Lotus Flower. Separator showed some potential, but it just seemed like the rest of the songs didn't really go anywhere. This is the kind of music I used to think Radioehad made before I listened to them properly and thought they were dull. Perhaps my opinion will improve if I listen again, but TBH it doesn't seem like the sort of album I can get into that much, or want to go back and listen to many times again.

We'll see. Undecided

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
DeN
Legend

« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2011, 09:11:32 PM »

you have to listen to it five times in loop to be plainly into it,
that's rich music with a lot of textures and sounds to feel.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: