Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:53:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  bon jovi vs guns n roses, my arguments why bon jovi are better!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: bon jovi vs guns n roses, my arguments why bon jovi are better!!!  (Read 26065 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2004, 12:37:10 AM »

i dont agree with what many of u say, i can relate to some GNR songs but honestly i relate more to bon jovi songs as a whole.

if u judge bon jovi by the hits sure they are poppy and not very deep but that doesnt mean they dont have songs like those.

each band hits emotions in a different way, for instance bon jovi dont have the desperation as heard in songs such as right next door to hell, coma,locomotive and estranged but bon jovi songs are the anti gnr song i guess

bon jovi songs make u feel good, GNR help u deal with emotions in a comforting way like u arent alone and u feel someone understands what u are goin through, bon jovi songs fire u up and may not take your problems away or soothe them on the same level as GNR but they give u hope, "someday ill be saturday night" "its hard letting u go" "lie to me" "my guitar lies bleeding in my arms" "i believe" "bounce"   they all really pick u up when u feel like shit

dont cry doesnt compare to bon jovi's best ballads, i totally disagree with that, give me bed of roses, always, ill be there for you , livin in sin, open all night, all about lovin u, silent night,

hell never say goodbye alone destroys dont cry

if u judge bon jovi on wanted dead or alive, you give love a bad name, bad medicine, lay your hands on me etc etc, yeah they seem poppy and not very deep but the hits are a very poor representitive of what bon jovi are.

bon jovi also have the musicianship to take a poppy song and make a very beautiful ballad out of it *its my life* *runaway* *id die for you*  and they took a chance with the "this left feels right" album and it kicks ass.

in my mind,eyes,heart and soul bon jovi are equally as good as GNR, they resonate in me just the same, just as strong just in a different way but i enjoy them equally as much somedays i like one band more than the other and right now with the release of the boxset id have to put bon jovi at number 1 on my list.  bon jovi like GNR are the only two bands that i have loved every single track ever written and recorded both bands are the soundtrack to my life but like i said in different ways

bon jovi are like my half glass full side GNR are my glass half empty side

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2004, 06:56:47 AM »

i can relate to some GNR songs but honestly i relate more to bon jovi songs as a whole.

D, that right there says a lot about you. But you probably don't want to hear what that is..

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2004, 04:23:53 PM »

i can relate to some GNR songs but honestly i relate more to bon jovi songs as a whole.

D, that right there says a lot about you. But you probably don't want to hear what that is..

no u misunderstand, ive never been drunk or high so alot of GNR songs i cant relate to, ive never danced with mr brownstone, ive never been on the nightrain doesnt mean i dont enjoy listening to those songs but i relate more to everday and its my life cause thats where i am right now, tryin to live my life and not give in to what society says i should be doing and goin for my dreams and stuff.

2 years ago i related more to GNR but right now in this moment in my life i relate more to bon jovi songs because im tryin to make it somewhere with? my life and their songs champion doin that.

i could relate to Coma last year but im much to happy in my life right now to relate to it, i usually pull out my gnr when my life sucks,but i pull out my bon jovi when my life is good.

thats the difference right there.

badapple81
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2004, 07:54:03 PM »

Enlighten us..

Don't get on the horse unless you intend to ride it Smiley
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2004, 09:56:31 AM »

Enlighten us..

Don't get on the horse unless you intend to ride it Smiley

Considering Bon Jovi's songs are shallow whereas GNR's are (often) quite the opposite, I'd say a person's preference tells something about him/her. But D already explained himself anyway.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
BP
Rocker

Every time i think i'm out, they pull me back in

« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2004, 11:36:56 AM »

I like Bon Jovi, but to me they're not better than GN'R.  Guns and Roses brings an element of reality and truth. Their songs aren't just for singing along to, they're there to confront whatever the subject may be.  GN'R lyrics and music are more empathetic to everyday life.

Fucking Excellent!

I listened to 'Slippery When Wet' (1986) and 'Appetite' (1987) when they first came out and thought both bands were great.

Difference now is 'Slippery When Wet' didn't survive the '80's while AFD went on to become a timeless album.

Twenty years from now 'These Days' will probably be the only Bon Jovi album still worth listening too while AFD and UYI's will be immortalized.

Bon Jovi have to put albums out every few years to keep their fans interested because they get boring too listen to relatively fast while GN'R fans will never get bored with AFD & UYI.

Another excellent comment !  Except I wouldn't call the jove "great" in my book. I did the same thing back then Wink

jovi were a hair brush as GNR were a head crush.   < now that is pure cheese, but true yo

-BP

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2004, 01:53:22 PM »

i would bet most people who have posted negatively about bon jovi probably couldnt name 10 songs outside of the hits, so that makes the arguments not valid cause u cant judge a band by their hits alone and on the records they have deep songs, songs that are touching and great.

the hits are what u have to do to make the introspective deep songs.

im sure Chinese Democracy will have some radio friendly not so relatable songs on it. its not like every GNR song is a masterpiece thats deep and touching.

BP
Rocker

« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2004, 02:37:18 PM »

ok -? I have hard enuff time naming 10 songs of my most fave/influential bands ever....? it's a head glitch I believe? Grin , so I can't play with ya there.

How about live shows?? Who is better live in our new century? huh huh

Grin

no first he names the whole band after Himself

& now he is Elvis??

That reminds me....  on Holiday's, I blast Elvis!!!!! wooo hooo

-B fnk' P
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 02:51:42 PM by Bi Polar » Logged

BP
Rocker

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2004, 03:22:59 PM »

well if you are into praising like gospel....  I can see where you get deep lately....   Grin   Bruce has been doing the same thing at his concerts.  & now you have Sambora trying to be like a Stevie Ray (all of a sudden)

ok look... i'm bored  & having fun, but I'm from New Jersey & he aint so welcomed as a hardrock genius by no means or even a music greatness by no means whatsoever.  Bruce (The Boss), not that i'm a big fan, is waaaaaaaaay more respected around here.   Jovi is fluff & Bruce is street buff 

-BP

squeezeboxwho
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2004, 04:23:13 PM »

Guns N' Roses win by a long shot!!!!!! I absolutely can't stand Bon Jovi's music, it sucks so much! lol
DEAD HORSE
VIP

08.08.08 ?

« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2004, 04:32:07 PM »

I think Bon Jovi is a poser,  is a band for fake people , and i have listened to almost all his music, but i dislike his music, his playing, his voice.
I cant understand why people got interested in a band that has nothing new to offer , i mean there are a lot of things out there to talk about.
Honestly ........."Bon Jovi Can suck My Dick"!  yes

If the world would end today... Wink
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2004, 05:39:51 PM »

Bon Jovi kicks ass..GNR is still better,but you cant knock Bon Jovi

Wanted Dead Or Alive is one of the best songs of all time
There new stuff (Everyday,It's My Life,Just Older) is amazing
Slippery When Wet is jsut as good as AFD
Richie Sambora has awsome backing vocals
Im not sayingf there better im jsut saying dont knock Bon Jovi They've done alot for the music business

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
BP
Rocker

« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2004, 06:01:27 PM »

Wanted Dead Or Alive is one of the best songs of all time
There new stuff (Everyday,It's My Life,Just Older) is amazing
Slippery When Wet is jsut as good as AFD
Richie Sambora has awsome backing vocals
Bon Jovi They've done alot for the music business

1. Dead or Alive is a good song - It's catchy but not realistic to bon bon for he aint' no cowboy = he's an actor from NJ

2. There new stuff blows...... but it's nice to let Sambora show off some new skills

3. As good as Appetite Huh This is the worst comment yet...? & I need a puke bowl right about now

4. Done a lot for the music business?? what exactly? help bigwig's sell pop records maybe. In no way shape of form did bon bon put a revolutionary dent to the music bizzz as GNR did.?

holy man ----? somebody is a product of target marketing & I can tell you are not a guitarist in all due respect.

-BP

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2004, 07:50:15 PM »

sayin he is a cowboy is a simile, relating life on the road to that of a cowboy, lord how do u people listen to GNR if u cant pick out metaphors and similies!

BP
Rocker

« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2004, 09:17:46 PM »

sayin he is a cowboy is a simile, relating life on the road to that of a cowboy, lord how do u people listen to GNR if u cant pick out metaphors and similies!

trust me when I say, I WAS using SARCASM.?

Cheesy i'm having forum withdraw is all ....? ?I like making fun of bon bon .....? its too easy. I've been doing so since the late 80's.? ?but yes, comparing his music to Appetite is silly to me.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 09:21:40 PM by Bi Polar » Logged

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2004, 11:41:22 PM »

im not comparing it to appetite, i mean GNR and Bon jovi are two entirely different styles of music which makes it impossible to compare, the point of this thread was basically to try and get a little more respect for bon jovi.

im tired of people lumping them with other bands when i think bon jovi should be in the discussion when it comes to classic great bands, they are written off too much for whatever various reasons and i dont like that.

Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2004, 11:56:25 AM »

im not comparing it to appetite, i mean GNR and Bon jovi are two entirely different styles of music which makes it impossible to compare, the point of this thread was basically to try and get a little more respect for bon jovi.

im tired of people lumping them with other bands when i think bon jovi should be in the discussion when it comes to classic great bands, they are written off too much for whatever various reasons and i dont like that.
Bon Jovi is certainly NOT a classic great band.  They've done nothing really deserving of respect, they are a mainstream pop band.  Britney Spears is also mainstream pop.  Milli Vanilli was also once mainstream pop.  Certainly they all played a different type of music, but none can be considered in the same league as Guns N' Roses.

Bon Jovi is "written off" for good reason.  Syrupy sweet, politically correct bubblegum music.  If you like them, that's cool... but, don't expect others to follow you because you feel they deserve respect and shouldn't be so easily dismissed. They are entertainers that get paid well for what they do.  That is apparently enough for them, because if they wanted the kind of respect you seek for them, they'd actually write music and not candy shop fodder. 

Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2004, 06:14:56 PM »

Well the basic point is GNR is waaaaaaaaay Better than Bon "dreadful, crapy, stinky, anoying" Jovi, for the ovius reason that all people here have said before, not the looks, not the ballads, but  GNR is a band with less albums than jovi and always be in music, thats it!  peace

No man can be my equal
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2004, 07:18:33 PM »

u are gonna put a no talent dancer/lip syncher and a lip synchin group in the same sentence as bon jovi?

see thats my point, bon jovi, jon and richie sambora are 2 of the best songwriters ever, they write their songs, they play live, they write what they know.

its not bubblegum pop music, i dont understand where people get this bullshit from, because a few of their hits were tongue in cheek fun type rock music doesnt mean their entire catalog is bubblegum poppy shit.

thats exactly what i am defending them against.  they took a chance with "this left feels right" a damn good spin on their greatest hits but what do u want them to do? did u want them to be poser sellouts and make a grunge record in the early 90's? did u want them to make an electronica record? a heavy metal record?   

in music u are in a no win situation, if u stick with your roots u are not takin chances but if u take chances *metallica,axl* u are selling out, so what is a musician to do? u are fucked either way.

Jon and bon jovi's philosophy is write what u know, be who u are and dont try to be anything u arent. thats their music, thats what they live so i applaud them for being real musicians and real people instead of posin for the next big trend.

and since im pissed at axl today ill give u another rant

when bon jovi were against the odds, they pulled their shit together, took grunge on and came out alive and thriving, Axl has yet to release an album since grunge destroyed metal and rock, so faced with uphill odds, bon jovi kicked ass and remained a multiplatinum international sensation whereas Axl is so scared of failing he cant release an album.

bon jovi survived grunge, GNR have yet to prove they have.

Furious Styles
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2004, 08:03:54 PM »

I think they key to all this is relevance. Numbers don't matter, because if we are goin' to use numbers, Michael Jakson, Britney Spears and N'Sync shit all over everybody anyways.

Gn'R didn't survive the grunge era, they ushered in the grunge era by killing the era Bon Jovi had come from. Regardless if some are willing to clump them in that same generation or era, they obviously came to prominence when the landscape of music was changing. Infact they were a reason the lanscape changed in the first place.

When Appetite For Destruction hit the music scene, it did a few things. It destroyed neo classical guitar, guys like Yngwie were no longer relevant and secondly, it crused all those irrelevant hair metal bands. But most importantly, AFD was the bridge between metal bands of the 70's and 80's (Zeppelin, Sabbath, Metallica) and the grunge bands of the 90's (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam)

People may say grunge killed hair metal, but Guns N' Roses made it irrelevant the moment AFD hit the scene. It is the one link when music historians and scholars look at the musical landscape of the 80's and 90's. When they ask themeselves, how could there be such a large and utter gap between the music of the 80's and 90's. AFD bridged the gap, gave those grunge bands not necessarily inspiration, but a means of passage.

Bands like Alice in Chains and Mother Lovebone were already planted in metal and hard rock, but AFD gave them that blend between punk, hard rock and metal that no one had ever seen before.

Gn'R will always be more relevant than Bon Jovi. Bon Jovi can sell 1,000,000,000 more records than Gn'R. But they will never be as important.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: