Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:04:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Best of 2004 (post your lists)
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best of 2004 (post your lists)  (Read 11575 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« on: November 20, 2004, 11:49:50 AM »

This thread is for your personal music related lists of the best albums, songs, videos, music DVDs, concerts etc of 2004.

I know the year isn't over yet, but maybe some of you already know what album/concert/etc. is your favorite one of 2004.

It'd also be nice if you put some kind of comments on why you picked the album/concert/etc on your list.? ok

My lists:

Best albums:

1 - Mark Lanegan "Bubblegum" (He made the kind of album that I wasn't expecting. A great mix of everything.)

2- Tommy Stinson "Village Gorilla Head" (An album that came out of nowhere. After having been disappointed by some GN'R members' solo albums in the past, this one was a real surprise. No big hype, just a great record.)

3 - Velvet Revolver "Contraband" (After all the hype, I had no expectations for the VR album. I didn't know what to expect other than it wasn't going to be GN'R. I still consider the album kind of uneven and have trouble enjoying certain tracks.)

Best concerts:

1 - Mark Lanegan @ Islington Academy, London UK (800 people watching as Mark sings. No dancing or moshing, just a great voice and great songs.)

2 - Velvet Revolver @ Hammersmith Apollo, London UK (VR's first London show was better than the one I saw three weeks earlier in Stockholm.)

3 - Tommy Stinson @ Pusterviksbaren, Gothenburg, Sweden (Great to see Tommy play an acoustic show in a bar! Small crowd who had no idea who Tommy was, too bad the set was so short.)

4 - Velvet Revolver @ Annexet, Stockholm, Sweden (Crowd made up of a lot of young GN'R fans. Great show, but they were better in London.)

/jarmo
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 11:51:25 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 12:05:17 PM »

1. Pain of Salvation - 12:5
An acoustic live album that kicks all sorts of tremendous ass. Not only is Daniel Gildenl?w the most gifted vocalist ever to grace planet earth, but with two other great singers in the band, this album features some mind-blowing vocal harmonies. With interesting new arrangements of old songs and awesome musicianship, this is the best live album I've heard in my life.

2. Winds - The Imaginary Direction of Time
An avantgarde masterpiece by the Norwegian proggers. This is Art. This is Beauty.

3. Pain of Salvation - BE
An epic concept album of life, and everything there is. This is a very ambitious project by Daniel, and people have had mixed feelings about it. Most have praised it like nothing before, but I'm still kind of undecided. There are two amazing tracks in the album, but as a whole it's not a typical PoS album, this one really has to be listened to all the way through, kinda like a book.
Check out the source material Daniel used for writing the record: http://www.painofsalvation.com/be/sources.htm ...now that's a lot of books? Tongue

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 06:19:51 PM »

best albums-

Bad Religion: The Empire Strikes First
Just an amazing album. On this and their previous release, "The Process of belief", I honestly believe they are peaking late in their career. You have your kick ass songs like "sinister rouge", your anthems like the title track and "let them eat war". "LA is burning", "Athiest peace", "Gods love" all also great songs. Anyone looking to get into them it wouldn't be a bad idea to get this and start working your way back through their catelogue.

Green Day: American Idiot
Theres a new thread I was reading about not knowing a band could make an album so good or bad. This is the definitive answer to that question for me. I have always thought green day were good, not great. For them to make an album this good really knocked my fucking socks off. Forget all the shit you hear about them being a "pop punk band". This is a rock album and a great one at that.

Velvet Revolver: Contraband
Not a record thats going to change your life, or the world like most of GnRs music, but none the less a kick ass rock record. Weiland doesn't have as strong a voice as he used to but is still a great vocalist surrounded by great musicians who made an album full of riffs to kick your ass in the best way.

Aerosmith: Honkin on Bobo
Not an album that garnered alot of attention from even aerosmith fans but a fun listen none the less. Mostly covers, some odd choices, but a real cool bluesy sound. They are really a well oiled machine. Everything comes off seemlessly with them and it's nice to hear them get back to playing some kick ass guitar music-even if it's not their own-after the sad state of affairs that was just push play. Hopefully it will inspire a great album the next time they go in to record original material.

I only got a chance to see one show this year which is quite lame. So I would have to say by far the best fucking show I saw this year was Bad Religion at Starland Ballroom.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 11:25:42 PM »

Velvet Revolver - Contraband
After a disappointing first couple of listens, the album's infectious melodies and Slash's understated guitar work slowly found their way into my head. A great debut which shows promise for the future. Take a tip form these guys to learn how rock n' roll should look and sound in 2004.

Anthrax - The Greater Of Two Evils
I haven't bought this yet, but I listened to the entire album via the stream I linked to in the other post I made, and even though it's a collection of old Anthrax songs, it's one of the best "old school style" new metal albums I've heard in a while. Highly recommended.

Heart Of The Matter EP - The Screaming Jets
Still Australia's hardest working and best live rock band out there today, it's sad that these guys haven't had more success than they've gotten. This EP is as solid as all of their previous releases and promises great things for their new album to come.

Damageplan - New Found Power
Allot of people wrote this album off comparing it to Pantera, but there's some great melodic stuff on there along with the usual full-on metal attack that we've come to know from Pantera.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 01:00:59 AM by metallex78 » Logged

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 12:33:29 AM »

Prince Musicology: came back with an unprecedented marketing campaign that manipulated soundscan and the charts and allowed himi to have one of his highest selling cds since the 80's, great cd with all 12 songs being very good

Velvet Revolver Contraband: what can i say this album never gets old, it still doesnt leave my cd player and i never thought id say that when i first got it but its truly classic

Bon Jovi  100,000,000 bon jovi fans cant be wrong, great boxset 40 unheard songs plus10 rarities and a nice dvd

Usher Confessions  some awesome dance tracks and some nice love ballads "confessions part 2 and let it burn"

alicia keyes the diary of alicia keyes
Maroon 5 "songs about Jane" actually a new band thats pretty good!
alanis morrissette so called chaos

eminem encore
concerts

1.Prince musicology tour, its the only concert i was able to go to this year but it was unbelievable!

best videos

1. fall to pieces  this video made a good song great and is one of the most entertaining videos i have ever seen

2. Usher "yeah"  i dont dance but this song makes me try and the video is cool

3. gwen stefani "what you waiting for" video and song are awesome

« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 04:27:03 AM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 10:32:42 AM »

Velvet Revolver - Live in Birmingham, Alabama at the Boutwell Auditorium.
An incredible show. We had a wonderful time. It was great to see Slash, Duff, and Matt again, they all still have it. And Scott for the very first time. He's an damn good frontman. One of the best concerts I've been to in a while. A real Rock N' Roll concert.

Finally bought the album in August after some hesitation. "Fall to Pieces" and "Sucker Train Blues" were instant favorites of mine. Rock N' Roll
just seemed to be disappearing more and more over the past years. Velvet Revolver brought it back with this album.

Guns N' Roses - Greatest Hits
Although Axl didn't want this album to be released I couldn't resist running to the store and buying it. May seem silly,
but the thrill of going to a music store and picking up a new GN'R album was priceless. I can't imagine the rush I'll have
when Chinese Democracy is released. Look out....... hihi hihi  yes

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
kj_jive
Got troll dolls?
VIP

Found a head and an arm in the garbage can

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2004, 02:49:36 PM »

ALBUMS of '04

Wilco- A Ghost is Born- Their first album that relies heavily on electric guitar.  Excellent.

Rush- Feedback- Even though its technically an EP and is a collection of covers, they're classic songs and is a great album.  They still sound as fresh as Moving Pictures.

VR- Contraband- Despite the fact that i occasionally tear this album apart, i still have a soft spot for it and think its pretty good.

Beastie Boys- To the Five Boroughs- Seems like a return to form from their lisence to ill days.

Franz Ferdinand- I love this cd, i don't care if they're not cool, i like em.

Now that i think about it, it seems like it was a pretty quiet year...

"This board isn't supposed to be a fucking smiley festival"-Jarmo 3-19-03
Is he struggling?
Rocker

Why are you reading this?

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2004, 04:54:52 PM »

Gigs:

Velvet Revolver @ Hammersmith Only show I've been to this year, but I was pleasantly surprised none the less. An excellent, tight, solid rock show, by a band that has defied a lot of expectations by being more than the sum of its parts. Everything, from the interraction between the band, to the solo's to the light shows to the setlist (apart from playing 'Negative Creep' at the end) gelled together perfectly.

Singles:

Franz Ferdinand - Take me Out Not a great year for new releases. This, howver I liked. It's relentless dance-y rhythm is what does it for me.

Outkast - 'Roses' What a fantastic backing track! The vocals have a great feel to them too, and I like the P-Funk esque imagery of 'Golden Claculators and 'coming back down to mars' too.

Albums:

Prince - Musicology Only a few outstanding tracks on here, really. But with this tight disc of  Funk, R&B & Rock and as D metioned, a shrewd marketing campaign, The former purple one reminded us all why he is just soooo flippin' ace.

Aerosmith - Honkin' on Bobo A great collecton of old Blues and R&B covers, and the bads reverence for the greats clearly shows in thier performance. Aerosmith reminded us all that, beneath all the slick imagery and gloopy ballads of their later years beats the heart of of red hot, gritty rock band (or at least those of us who paid any attention to it were reminded, anyway).

Brian Wilson - SMiLE The recordings here are all new, so it counts as 2004, ok? Although it does meander a bit in the middle, this is a masterclass in vocal arrangements, sonic experimetation and most importantly, great songwriting. And any album with that closes with 'Good Vibrations' can't be bad, can it?

It's been too long since you've had your ass kicked properly!:

www.reverbnation.com/papersun
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2004, 05:25:38 PM »

Best albums

Hollywood Rose - Roots of Guns N' Roses -  the best album by some distance, whether thats because the songs are so damn good or this year has been so damn bad, i'll let u decide.

Slipknot - Vol 3 - Some great stuff here and i really need to give it a few more listens

Korn/Van Halen - Best of's - They get an inclusion for the new songs, 'It's about time' and 'Word Up' probably the best songs released this year for me

Silvertide - Show and Tell, grow less impressed with each listen, this is a remarkably inhibited debut, but it's still good fun

Monster Magnet - Monolithic Baby - nonsensical lyrics and scorching riffs, rock n' roll.

Velvet Revolver - Contraband - its biggest problem is what it really should have been, this is a mere shadow of what we know the members can do, but it'll have to do.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 05:28:04 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 11:56:41 PM »

Green Day - American Idiot:
Absolutley the album of the year - couldnt agree more with the guys who said he'd always considered them a good band but not a great one. Billie Joe Armstrong has come of age as both a songwriter and singer and he has made a rock album for the ages. There's humour, tradgedy, rage, meloncholy and defiance, but most importantly there is real passion.
Mark Lanegan - Bubblegum
I took a real chance on this and brought it on the strength of reviews Id read - I wasnt disappointed. Favorite track, Strange Religon feat. Izzy and Duff
Brian Wilson - Smile
Was all the years of hype worth it? Absolutley and I cant wait to see his concert next month in Wellington!
VR - Contraband
A strong album, patchy in parts but an impressive debut from a band with seemingly limitless potential/talent. Id say if they stick around long enough to complete a second CD, we'll all be in for a real treat.
Jeff Buckley -Grace (Legacy Edition)
IMO possibly the best album ever made and definitley the finest album of the 90's is finally re-released as a 10 year anniversary edition, remastered with bonus disc or rarities. What can one say about such a monumentally incredible artwork? Just listen...

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Wheres Izzy
VIP

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 12:31:07 AM »

I am surprised how few posts this thread is getting since I thought it was such a cool topic. I am thinking maybe some people are waiting to hear the new U2 album before posting.

Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2004, 02:34:33 PM »

I am surprised how few posts this thread is getting since I thought it was such a cool topic. I am thinking maybe some people are waiting to hear the new U2 album before posting.

Or music this year has sunk to a new low and ther is nothing good to speak of......? Not my view but i'd imagine many have thought as much.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 06:48:17 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2004, 04:24:35 PM »

Or music this year has sunk to a new low and ther is nothing good to speak of......

That only applies to mainstream music, there's lots of great stuff being released all the time. You just have to look beneath the surface.

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2004, 01:22:32 AM »

That only applies to mainstream music, there's lots of great stuff being released all the time. You just have to look beneath the surface.

Yeah, but who wants to read a list of "The best albums of 2004 that you've never heard of!"
Aava
Everything changes
VIP

If you wanna do it, baby, you can do it right

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2004, 03:47:50 AM »

Best Albums:

01. Green Day - American Idiot
02. Monster Magnet - Monolithic Baby
03. Velvet Revolver - Contraband
04. The Hives - Tyrannosaurus Hives

Best Concerts:

01. Backyard Babies at Tavastia, Helsinki
02. Backyard Babies at Nosturi, Helsinki
03. Velvet Revolver at J??halli, Helsinki
04. Metallica at Olympic Stadium, Helsinki

We're on the one road
Maybe the wrong road
It's the road to fuck knows where
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2004, 06:52:13 AM »

Yeah, but who wants to read a list of "The best albums of 2004 that you've never heard of!"

I'm not talking about totally obscure acts here, it's not such a long step from the uninspired mainstream to the 'less-known but actually talented' artists. I could ask you what's the point of everyone naming Contraband as their favorite album of the year. Fuck, we've all heard it, it's a fine record. So what?

Anyway, I wasn't originally talking about this thread in particular, I just replied to Izzy's comment.

Wheres Izzy
VIP

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2004, 06:59:37 AM »

well if you put a desription like most who posted their favorites have done you may inspire someone to check something out they havn't heard of before and may like.

kupirock
Somewhat Damaged
Legend

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2004, 07:26:41 AM »

Damageplan - New Found Power
Nine Inch Nails - TDS SACD "Deluxe Edition" / Dualdisc

"Hearing Don't Cry isn't all that exciting considering there are many youtube clips available of it being performed live." -from mygnr.com-
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2004, 10:28:49 AM »

I'm going to cheat a little by picking two albums that were released in late 2003.

Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism -

I've already commented on one of the tracks in the " Songs you recommend to people" thread. Labeled as an emo band, this album is full of surprises. Rockers and mellow tunes, very armonious vocals make up one of the best albums I've hear in a while. " Expo 86",? " Tiny Vessels" & " The New Year" are just a few highlights. Highly recommended!

The Postal Service - Give up -

Also released in 2003. This band is a side project from one of the members from Death Cab...and techno freak Jimmy Tamborello. Download " Such Great Hights" that's the best song I've heard in a while.

From 2004.

The already acclaimed " American Id?ot" .This is the best Green Day album period. "Homecoming", " Give me Novacaine" " Are we the waiting" it's very hard to pick a personal best.

U2 " How to dismantle an atomic bomb". Gave it a few listens already,?not very impressed yet, but check outsong #10 "Original of the Species".

Aava
Everything changes
VIP

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2004, 03:34:19 PM »

I'm not talking about totally obscure acts here, it's not such a long step from the uninspired mainstream to the 'less-known but actually talented' artists. I could ask you what's the point of everyone naming Contraband as their favorite album of the year. Fuck, we've all heard it, it's a fine record. So what?

Stop moaning and send your list!  Tongue

We're on the one road
Maybe the wrong road
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2004, 03:56:25 PM »

Stop moaning and send your list!? Tongue

Way ahead of you, baby? Wink

(...check the first reply to this thread...)

Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2004, 06:45:47 PM »

Or music this year has sunk to a new low and ther is nothing good to speak of......

That wasn't my personal opinion - it was a reply to someone asking why there were so few replies, and that was merely my speculation, personally i don't think this year has been terrible music wise.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Aava
Everything changes
VIP

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2004, 07:00:39 PM »

Way ahead of you, baby? Wink

(...check the first reply to this thread...)

Whops, sorry..  Embarrassed

We're on the one road
Maybe the wrong road
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2004, 08:39:09 PM »

I didnt like much this year...

Velvet Revolver - Contraband - Rather than call it one of my favorite albums of the year and then proceed to list what I dont like about it ( Wink), Ill simply say that Ive listened to it a lot over the past 6 months and have enjoyed it very much.  I really think theres quite a few great songs on there.

John Legend - Get Lifted - Ive liked very little R&B since the early/mid-90s.  However, John Legend is a wonderful singer, and his music escapes the corny (and boring) neo-soul cliches that plague modern-day R&B.  Its soulful and charming, and the albums a great listen.

Green Day - American Idiot

Kanye West - College Dropout - My excitement for West has certainly waned since 2002, especially over the course of this year, but he made a very good album.  I find his vocals very entertaining, and of course his beats are almost always great.  Easily the best rap album of 2004 (although its basically by default since his competition was so weak...)

I look forward to hearing more from Silvertide  yes
The Convict
Opening Act

A-Ha Shake Heartbreak

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2004, 02:31:23 PM »

(None of these lists are in any order...)

Top 5 films...

1. The Incredibles
2. Anchorman
3. Saw
4. Eternal Sunshine
5. Wonderland

(Honorable mentions go to Starsky & Hutch, Hellboy and Lost In Translation)

Worst 5 films...

1. The Passion Of The Christ
2. Bridget Jones: The Edge Of Reason
3. Open Water
4. The Day After Tomorrow
5. Alien vs Predator

Albums...

1. The Libertines - The Libertines
2. Kings Of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak
3. Auf Der Maur - Auf Der Maur
4. R.E.M. - Around The Sun
5. Guns N' Roses - Greatest Hits

+ That Boy's No Different Today - Except In Every Single Way +
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2004, 05:27:53 PM »

Best Cd's: Velvet Revolver-Contraband
Big & Rich- Horse Of A Different Colour
Aerosmith-Honkin On Bobo

Best DVD's:Godsmack-Changes
Sebastian Bach-?
Lynyrd Skynyrd-30th Aniversery
Live Aid DVD
Toronto Sars Concert DVD

Best Concert's: (I Attended)
Velvet Revolver-Toronto
Godsmack & Metallica- Toronto
Alice Cooper-Peterbourgh
Nickleback-Peterbourgh
April Wine-Peterbourgh

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Buckethead Superstar
Headliner

No, I wont be told anymore

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2004, 06:38:49 PM »

LIVE -

Reading Festival 27th-29th August - Just WOW! Darkness, Green Day, White Stripes were all fantastic
Velvet Revolver 2nd September - Just wow, Brilliant
V2004 Festival 21st August - Very good
The Darkness 11th December - Gonna be awsome

ALBUMS

Velvet Revolver - Contraband ... amazingly put together, good stuff
The Darkness - Permission To Land ... yes released in 2003 but deserved a mention
Green Day - American Idiot ... heart felt shit, wikid album
GNR - Greatest Hits ... bought it from NYC Virgin Megastore, and has a special place in my heart

DVDs

Queen - Live at Wembley ... wow, freddy at his best

GAMES

Halo 2 - what an amazing game this is, hasnt been out of my XBox since i bought it...completed in 3 days (7 hours a day)

ILLNESS

Appendicitis - Just what a load of fun (!) that being sarcastic btw, but it happened exactly (i mean to the minute) one week after the VR concert on the 2nd September

Anyway, must depart from you now, good evening all

release the album...nuff said
gnrmadagascar
Headliner

Broken glass and cigarettes...

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2004, 01:22:05 PM »

- (Obviously) Velvet Revolver - Contraband
- Silvertide - Show And Tell

The Poster Formely Known as estranged13
"While I'm sitting here, doing nothing but aging, still my guitar, gently weeps..." - George Harrison
classicrocker
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2004, 11:47:25 PM »

1.Tommy Stinson-Village Gorilla Head
2.U2-How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

you gotta let that boy boogie
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2004, 09:16:47 PM »

Albums:
Monster Magnet - Monolithic Baby!
Another album of amazing and hilarious lyrics packed with some great riffs and impressive covers, pretty much every song is a stand-out song.
Brides of Destruction - Here Come The Brides
Good debut from this 'new' band, shame there aren't more tracks, good that all the songs are good though they just avoided filler, they are also a class live act ok
Yeah it's a decent rock album, can't really fault it but it doesn't blow me away either it just fits nicely into my collection.
Tesla - Into The Now
Until this album i had never heard of this band Embarrassed but after looking at a thread where people raved about this i checked it out and loved it and i would say (now i have listened to their other stuff) this is one of their best albums, Only You is a classic track.
Soil - re.de.fine
This album improves upon their great debut it is more consistant and really shows the potential they have (had) unfortunately they are now without their frontman no .? Best track is definately Pride really aggressive and good to motivate yourself when you can't be arsed crawling out of bed, slam it on you'll be out in no time.
Gluecifer - Automatic Thrill
Not sure if the album came out this year, i am pretty sure it did anyway when i saw them supporting Monster Magnet i thought they were amazing, so i got this album as soon as i could this band is just straight up rock n' roll! tracks like Car Full of Stash & Here Come The Pigs are the best of the bunch ok

Edit: Some late additions to my list as i have only recently listened to them Mot?rhead's Inferno album, Def Leppard's 'Best of', Silvertide 'Show & Tell' & Tommy Stinson's Village Gorilla Head.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 08:43:56 AM by Stoned » Logged
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2004, 12:58:32 PM »

1. Skinny Puppy - The Greater Wrong Of The Right
2. Secret Chiefs 3 - Book of Horizons

Best Concerts:

Gwar
Skinny Puppy

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2004, 05:09:56 PM »

Best album:

Velvet Revolver: Contraband

Best concert:

Sebastian Bach, Budapest

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
youngerformofaxl
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2004, 05:23:11 PM »

Best Albums:

There wasn't really any albums that really spoke to me:

But, I liked:

Tommy Stinson "Village Gorilla Head."
Guns N' Roses "Greatest Hits."
Gwen Stefani "Love Angel Music Baby."
RichardNixon
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2004, 02:02:51 PM »

1. Guns N' Roses- Chinese Democracy I ran into Axl at Blockbuster Video in LA. There was only one copy of "New York Minute" and we both reached for it at the same time. Axl offered to give me an advanced copy of Chinese Democacy in exchange for the video. I wish you guys could listen to it, it's a great great album. I have it on now, as I write this. Robin has all these kick-ass solos, and the songs are all well written and catchy.

2. Velvet Revolver- Contraband I liked this album right away, but it grew on me more and more with each listen. "Illegal i Song" is the only track I don't really like.

3. Brides of Destruction- Here Come the Brides Nikki Sixx's best work since Motley Crue '94. This is the Crue album he never made that the fans would have wanted. And Tracii kicks ass, as usual.

4. PJ Harvey- Uh Huh Her Not her best album, but still a good collection of songs

5. U2- How to dismantle an atomic bomb see above

« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 02:11:28 PM by RichardNixon » Logged
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2004, 02:45:35 PM »

Guns N' Roses Greatest Hits

Velvet Revolver-Contraband

Green Day-American Idiot

U2-How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

Pete Murray-Feeler

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2004, 05:02:53 PM »

Robin has all these kick-ass solos

I actually believed you up until this part...

By the way, I picked up the Silvertide album, and its incredible.  Im tempted to call it the years best album.
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2004, 05:21:18 PM »

Albums:

U2 - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
I did expect a lot, and I did get a lot. I can't complain, best album of the year hands down for me. A must buy if only for "Miracle Drug". The bonus DVD is a welcome goodie.

IAM - Revoir un Printemps (french band)
First album since 1997. Not as good as the previous one, but good lyrics and good music, a few gems. Nice album.

HOLLYWOOD ROSE - Roots of Guns N' Roses (CD + DVD japanese edition)
I really liked that special edition, the DVD was a welcome bonus and the CD itself is really cool, the remixes were not necessary but the original demos have a huge historical value for all GN'R fans.

DVDs:

GN'R - St. Louis 1991 (bootleg)
Infamous riot show, finally released on DVD. The sound is kind of a letdown but the picture looks awesome. Amazing concert, amazing energy. One of the best GN'R boots. Ever.

Evanescence - Rock Am Ring 2003 + 2004 (bootleg)
Amy's shows off her amazing voice on My Immortal and Bring Me To Life on RAR04. I really discovered the band then. The CD is ok but I was blown away by that DVD.

Concerts:

Velvet Revolver - Southaven, MS 2004
Very nice show. Lots of energy, not impressed by Weiland but the rest of the band, especially Slash and Duff kicked ass. A set a bit too short but a recommended live act.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 05:23:30 PM by Will » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: