Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:03:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227808 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Interesting article about rock vs metal
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interesting article about rock vs metal  (Read 9912 times)
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2004, 02:36:23 PM »

Nice article but has this joker considered that you're never going t be able to attend a classical music 'gig' and go fucking mental and jump around the place.  Go to a metal concert on the other hand and you can go wild to the music.  He makes a half-decent argument as far as making music interesting goes, but he's living in a dream world.

The world must be cured of whooping-hiphoporosis and the dreaded popidoliscous diseases.  We need MTV vaccines to be made free to all.  That has to be the target, the world has to act on these hideous, brain-wasting afflictions.  Metal and rock must be made available on prescription and schools must provide a minimum of 20 hours a week for the education of how to fight the anti-musical, corporate shit they hear on the evil television and radio mediums.  Public executions must be introduced of pop stars like Britney Spears and Robbie Williams.

This is the world we live in!!!  It's up to us to save it!!

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2004, 05:52:16 PM »

Nice article but has this joker considered that you're never going t be able to attend a classical music 'gig' and go fucking mental and jump around the place.  Go to a metal concert on the other hand and you can go wild to the music.  He makes a half-decent argument as far as making music interesting goes, but he's living in a dream world.

The world must be cured of whooping-hiphoporosis and the dreaded popidoliscous diseases.  We need MTV vaccines to be made free to all.  That has to be the target, the world has to act on these hideous, brain-wasting afflictions.  Metal and rock must be made available on prescription and schools must provide a minimum of 20 hours a week for the education of how to fight the anti-musical, corporate shit they hear on the evil television and radio mediums.  Public executions must be introduced of pop stars like Britney Spears and Robbie Williams.

This is the world we live in!!!  It's up to us to save it!!

The Metal Militia will lead us mortals to fight to good the fight.

Bow to the Tempo of the Damned!
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2004, 10:44:25 PM »

Nemo - NIGHTWISH Roadrunner
    Dead Eyes See No Future - ARCH ENEMY Shock
    Against The World - NOCTURNAL RITES Shock
    Tyranny - FIREWIND Shock
    Entropy Within - ANATA Independent
    Blood - CANDIRIA Shock

hmm those musta been the videos i saw last night.

anyone know these bands?

Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2004, 05:01:45 AM »

Nightwish of course are very popular, and Arch Enemy are also fairly well-known. The rest I've never heard of. Just because the band is unknown to the masses doesn't automatically mean it's good, though.. There's a lot of shit out there, and I'm still saying you are VERY unlikely to see anything good on television.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2004, 06:23:58 AM »

Nightwish of course are very popular, and Arch Enemy are also fairly well-known. The rest I've never heard of. Just because the band is unknown to the masses doesn't automatically mean it's good, though.. There's a lot of shit out there, and I'm still saying you are VERY unlikely to see anything good on television.

well i thought you were implying that if its on tv then its bad and that i shouldn't get my metal from tv. because if its not on tv then its underground and underground is better isnt it?

it seems that you were implying that bands that are unknown to the masses are better because you said i shouldnt get metal from tv and tv is for the masses right. but like you said underground metal doesn't always equal good.

so just because i get my metal from tv doesn't make it bad either. nightwish, arch enemy nocturnal rites and firewind imo were fucking brilliant(i had only heard of night wish), while anata sucked balls IMO. candiria was kinda weird, vocals were like shouted rap, vocalist was like a typical gangster u'd see on a rap video except there he was screaming his lungs off surrounded by white long haired metal heads. sorta like the complete opposite of the eminem situation or something. it was only an ok song though. so 4 and a half good songs out of the 6 i saw that night aint bad for tv.

but i guess you don't like nightwish or arch enemy i gather? they cant be good if i'm seeing them on television cuz its too unlikely that a good band would be on tv?

anyway rock has been dumbed down because this mainstream hip hop pop punk generation wouldn't know a g major if it hit them in the ass. my hip hop friends dont know what a "good" guitar solo is its all giberish to them. im not saying you need a vast musical knowledge to enjoy music, but you need a vast musical knowledge if you are ever gonna expand upon the I IV V progression and pentatonic wanking. even pentatonic wanking is out of mainstream rock.

its been dumbed down because most people that wanna start a band are "simplicty over complexity", not because they choose to do so but they don't have or wont learn the musical knowledge needed to write something complex and still beautiful.

still i think the writer is a wanker, if he wants to hear complex rock stay away from jet and all that because their listeners wouldn't be thinking "wow what a nice diatonic progression that song has got going there" they'll be thinking "what a cool song, im gonna dance" and thus jet serves its purpose. the majority of people will never care about musical complexity cuz they never learnt music and so forth and like simple stuff.

but there is fucking great rock out there for complex stuff. like i said i suggest umphrey's mcgee. probably a lot more musicality (is that a word) than a lot of metal in there stuff.

ok i've lost track of my point again and so have you probably.  Huh

Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2004, 03:03:18 PM »

Nightwish is So cool they are coming to Ecuador  peace, at last good groups come here, Nocturnal Rites is Quite average, I've hear Tales of  Huh.... don't remeber the whole name but is quite decent

No man can be my equal
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2004, 03:25:20 PM »

still i think the writer is a wanker, if he wants to hear complex rock stay away from jet and all that because their listeners wouldn't be thinking "wow what a nice diatonic progression that song has got going there" they'll be thinking "what a cool song, im gonna dance" and thus jet serves its purpose. the majority of people will never care about musical complexity cuz they never learnt music and so forth and like simple stuff.

Nothing wrong with that.  I wish rock we could have a renaissance of rock as dance music, because the original appeal of the music WAS because it was fun and you could move to it.  Then it got all serious.

You know, I think one of the best things about Led Zeppelin was that they combined all the best elements of rock and "metal" as we know it today.  They were fun to listen to and they had a lot of melody and good beats, but they were also heavy and had a lot of epic songs with interesting song structures.  All hail the mighty Zep!
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2004, 09:57:32 PM »

i know mattman, from the dawn of rock n roll all it was for was to dance too.

chuck berry's johnny b goode will get everyone up and dancing more than anything from dream theatre. but thats cuz dream theatre's purpose isn't to make people wanna dance so its an unfair comparison. you can't dance to 7/4 time you'll jerk everywhere lol. but then again you can't predict what is gonna happen next in a dream theatre song because the songs are like movements.

i dont see any of todays mainstream bands (simple plan and all that) as rock, apart from the darkness. Like Hank Hill said "Its ok if you only know 3 chords but atleast put them in the right order".

Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2004, 07:54:33 PM »

I saw a Nightwish CD at wal-mart recently.  Shocked I only think they're popular because of (ugh) Evenescence.
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2004, 08:32:15 PM »

you have real poeple who set the trends and become popular

after that you have those who do whats popular, gets producers and becoming ok to like
so we had the terrible glam-era, but those aren't as real to me as the one just bein what they are regardles of popularity circumstanses

I like jim morrisons comment about revolt, you know what i mean if you've read it

metal is really potential stuff and have lots of gifted musicians

i like this one:
http://www.robhalford.com/audio/mutations/01%20-%20Into%20the%20Pit%20%5BLive%5D.mp3

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2004, 08:02:07 AM »

I saw a Nightwish CD at wal-mart recently. Shocked I only think they're popular because of (ugh) Evenescence.

Really?, thats pityful  no

No man can be my equal
Aava
Everything changes
VIP

If you wanna do it, baby, you can do it right

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2004, 01:43:02 PM »

I only think they're popular because of (ugh) Evenescence.

OR that?s the other way around. Nightwish has been popular way before Evanescance.

We're on the one road
Maybe the wrong road
It's the road to fuck knows where
Chris Misfit
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2004, 10:52:41 PM »

Having one forum for all music is cool for exposing people to all types of music, but a few specific threads could be informative for people who are interested in a specific type of music. Best of both worlds!

Yes, have specific threads, just make sure you have a subject. 200 "I listen to GnR" posts, is a waste of everyones time.

I have to say though, you'd be a lucky man, if you can get a decent music converstaion here. Many have died trying.

Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2004, 03:48:18 PM »

Of course Nightwish were popular before Evanescance. Just not Wal-Mart popular. Wink I don't like either band, though.

Support for metal bands seems to fall after they get too big. Iced Earth, Opeth, and Dimmu Borgir are rarely mentioned in the underground sites now, but they're still too small to get mainstream attention. They are caught in between, and are probably stuck. Sad Yes, there are better bands than these that get much less attention, but it's sad how fans abandon these decent bands because they get a little popularity.

Death, for example, isn't talked about much after it was discovered that (gasp!) Chuck was a born again Christian! A few celebrities also contributed money to his family after he died of brain cancer. After that, Death was no longer discussed in the "kvlt" sites. Sometimes metal has an image issue as bad as rock does.  no I only learned about Death from a close friend, not a web site.
disease51883
Rocker

Hey, you caught me in a Coma...

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2004, 12:19:16 PM »

The author of this article really shows a close-minded view toward music. I can understand his hatred for a lot of today's rock. Not everyone's going to prefer the same type of music that he does though, and that doesn't make them musically uneducated. And for the record, cause I know it matters to everyone so much, if I had to listen to most "progressive rock", I bash my head in with the stereo.
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: