Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:31:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  GN'R On Tour!
| | |-+  Past tours (Moderators: Kiki, Sukie, Pandora)
| | | |-+  Toronto - Nov 29th
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Toronto - Nov 29th  (Read 162495 times)
Kiki
The Clog Lady
Legend

And for the finishing touch, God created the Dutch

« Reply #120 on: November 30, 2002, 05:02:14 AM »

Well, I guess I'm the first to make a review of tonight's show. Well, I'll try to remember everything. Here goes...
First off, the show was awesome. Axl was in a fantastic mood and all members of te band were really into it. I got there around 6:30. CKY went on stage around 7:30. I have to say that they're not my cup of tea. I will, however, say that I admire their effort. They have a sound all of their own, but it just doesn't click with me. But hey, to each his/her own.

I don't have a whole lot to say about them as I was hungry for the main course. Around 8:30 Mix Master Mike hit the stage. I'd have to say that he was cool to hear for about 15 minutes but then it kind of became monotonous. He mixed Zeppelin, Rush, Rage, etc. I got bored of him pretty quick. He finished up around 9:30.
By this time, the Air Canada Centre was about half full. I was worried if there would be any more people to come. Well, they did as the "Show us your tits" festival came on.

A guy came out on stage and said "I'll only say this once, guys, keep 'em in, girls...haul 'em out!" Girls were teasing the camera. Anyway, eventually they showed there chests, then a few showed their asses, a couple of girls made out with each other, while one girl licked the breast of another girl...all of this being displayed on two big screens. Later on, a fight broke out but that fire was quickly put out.

Then at about 10:30, the arena full with about 19,000 people, WTTJ comes on and the place goes totally apeshit. For me to describe the presence of the band cannot be put into words...the best thing for me to say is to go see it for yourself. I can't remember the setlist but I knew the order as it was coming on as it is the standard format.

Throughout the show, Axl wore two different Maple Leaf jerseys (number 26 on one while the other was blank), a Raptors jersey, and a Blue Jays jersey. The stage was full of pyrotechnics, and lights. The sound was awesome. The ONLY, and I mean ONLY, flaw in the whole night was a slight screw up on "Think About You". Other than that, the night was perfect.

Axl smiled the whole show, the place went nuts for Buckethead and Robin Finck. Buck's guitar solo ROCKED. I could tell that Axl was having a blast. He mentioned the Montreal incident by asking how many people were there, then he mentioned Vancouver, and jokingly asked "What is it about Canada?" The crowd loved it. He displayed his piano abilties by playing the "asshole" song...it was hilarious.

Dizzy looked great, he looks like Edge from the WWE. Buck threw toys out to the audience. Madagascar, the Blues, and Chin. Dem. were the new songs played and were well received by the audience. People were staring at me as I was the only one in the area who knew the words. I picked up a t-shirt that set me back $45, but it's well worth it. Paradise City rocked with lots o' confetti and fireworks.

I was shaking the whole time. The sound was tight and they played like a true band. If anyone saw the MTV VMA's, forget 'em....the sound at this performance has proved to 19,000 people that Axl is one of the greatest frontmen ever, Guns N' Roses are back, and the new band WILL prevail. Anyway, I'm sorry if I have forgotten anything, but I am extremely tired and in need of sleep. If I think of anything else, I'll write back in the morning. But the bottom line is the show was awesome.

TheFan from the bar

Unless your a hemmerhoid, get off my ass!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #121 on: November 30, 2002, 08:24:40 AM »

Thanks for all the great reviews guys!  [ok]

Saturday, November 30, 2002
LONE gunman
Guns N' Roses returns -- but only Axl remains
By JANE STEVENSON <mailto:jane.stevenson@tor.sunpub.com>

Guns N' Roses, those missing-in-action, hard-rock kingpins from the late
'80s, are touring again for the first time in nearly a decade.

Actually, make that lead singer Axl Rose is touring again, without any of
his original bandmates, including dueling guitarists Slash and Izzy
Stradlin.

Rose -- now 40 -- still managed to draw about 14,000 fans to the Air Canada
Centre last night, with a lineup of seven musicians including longest
serving GNR member, keyboardist Dizzy Reed who came on board for 1991's Use
Your Illusion I and II .

BUCKETHEAD

The rest, guitarists Buckethead (who lived up to his name by wearing a KFC
container on his head) Robin Finck and Richard Fortus, keyboardist Chris
Pitman, drummer "Brain," and bassist Tommy Stinson, have all been working
with Rose and Reed on the long-awaited new GNR album, Chinese Democracy,
whose release has been delayed repeatedly.

For now, fans had to make do with Rose and Co., trotting out mostly oldies
with a set list that favoured songs from GNR's monster 1987 breakthrough
debut, Appetite For Destruction.

Opening with the anthemic Welcome To The Jungle and wearing a Toronto Maple
Leafs jersey (No. 26), black track pants and white sneakers -- the band
didn't allow photographers -- the long-haired-and-braided Rose proved to be
a real crowd pleaser. Even if it was kind of sad to see teleprompters, at
least two located on the mini-catwalks on either side of the stage,
displaying song lyrics.

To his credit, Rose didn't let down in the energy department, literally
running around the stage for just over two hours when he wasn't doing his
trademark moves -- the side-to-side dance, and the rhythmic stomping of one
foot -- or letting loose with primal scream-worthy wails.

Highlights included a spirited cover of Paul McCartney's Live And Let Die --
complete with explosions, firebursts and a major crowd singalong -- and a
more toned-down version of Bob Dylan's Knockin' On Heaven's Door.

But the real barnburner proved to be Sweet Child O' Mine, with the
boisterous crowd drowning out Rose's vocals, and the encore number Paradise
City which got some added value from numerous explosions, fireworks,
firebursts and confetti.

Runners-ups for audience favourites were You Could Be Mine, Out Ta Get Me,
November Rain and Patience.

As for the musicianship, the guitar attack of Buckethead (who had his own
dance moves and solo moment, which included the Star Wars theme) Finck and
Fortus proved to be formidable along with the thunderous drumming of
"Brain."

Even Rose showed off his chops, goofing around on piano before getting
serious on November Rain.

The stripped-down stage, meanwhile, was decorated with Chinese symbols, on
both the red flooring and white banners which served as a backdrop, to
reflect that forthcoming album presumably.

VANCOUVER RIOT

Last night's show was certainly far better than the disastrous start to the
GNR tour, which saw thousands of fans riot in Vancouver earlier this month
outside GM Place after promoters cancelled the show at the last minute when
Rose's flight was delayed in L.A. due to bad weather.

The most controversial thing about last night's performance was the parade
of exhibitionist-happy women in the audience who -- whenever the video
camera zoomed in on them -- flashed bras, breasts, bums, and the occasional
thong, or made out with each other.

It was basically a ploy to distract the crowd from the fact that Rose and
his band were 50 minutes late taking the stage.

GUNS N' ROSES

'A single Rose'

-- JANE STEVENSON

Air Canada Centre

------

/jarmo
« Last Edit: November 30, 2002, 08:28:33 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Wernie
Desperate Elbowlicker
VIP

I don't know if soon is the word...(FYI, IT'S NOT)

« Reply #122 on: November 30, 2002, 11:32:25 AM »

Okay, I'm drunk now, but please, please, please...

Come to Sweden...SOOOOON  Cheesy  [ok]

[beer]

Great reviews btw  [ok]

So I send this song to the offended...
lastroots
« Reply #123 on: November 30, 2002, 11:36:31 AM »

Great reviews. thx all  [beer]

/lastroots
oldfan
Rocker

aka.... hrmmmmm

« Reply #124 on: November 30, 2002, 12:01:53 PM »

Well, this is my two cents..

I've seen G'NR  five times now "thats not including the London show tonight"
The Toronto show simply fucking rocked !
This show BLOWS away the 2 shows I see 'em with Metallica and the two shows with Skidrow.
Axl hit every note, it was like his voice was reborn.

I'm glad I was there [ok]

Laura
I'm not cute!!!
VIP

Swallow Choke And Die

« Reply #125 on: November 30, 2002, 12:10:21 PM »

ok well im about to go home now from TO.

so ill try and give my full review now!

the show rocked!! it was awsome!! i got there around 7:30... i didnt even go in to see CKY... i did see Mc Master Mike... i think that is his name... i really didnt like it... so after a long hour and 10 min or waiting and seeing lots of breasts... finally the lights turned off and the intro to WTTJ came on... the crowd went wild... me and my cuzin were screamin like mad!! it was soo cool... it was like the final realisation that I was seeing GNR live! and fuck it was just like a dream!! i couldnt believe that Axl was there singin!!! well the show was awsome!! B'Head turned out to be wierded than i had already thought but thats fucking cool with me!!! his solo was amazin!! i couldnt believe he had such skill!!! Axl's voice sounded great and the whole band was so into it... it was like watchin kids at there total happiness! i really enjoyed the show they put on!!! i coulndt believe it and i still cant!!! i wish i was going to the show tonight to be able to see them again!!!! its sureal!!! the whole band kicked ass!! i enjoyed axl's "im an ass hole" song!! it was funny!

well as u can all tell i thought the show was amazin! i dont think anyone could put into words how i felt at the concert and how i feel now!!! omg!! the happiness!!

well im off for the long drive home!!! later pepople!!!  [peace]

And It Breaks My Heart To Know The Only Reason You Are Here Now Is A Reminder Of What I'll Never Have...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #126 on: November 30, 2002, 12:19:55 PM »

I knew you'd like it it SSS. Smiley

It must've been better than that other concert you went to earlier this year.  Tongue

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mr_yoshimaroka
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #127 on: November 30, 2002, 01:56:42 PM »

the first half of the show was amazing(the gnr set). Everybody was into it ...etc. The problem is, when bucket started passing around toys and acting like a fucked up kid, people were yelling slash and most people just sat down for the rest of the show, only to stand up for paradise city and night train. Maybe people were just burnt out from smoking up or something, but the end of the buckethead solo just killed my section. People stopped cheering. I guess the new songs were well received, but a lot of people didn't really seem to care. It really sucks when people around you are just sitting while your trying to enjoy a show and get pumped.

Quick Notes:
Chinese Democracy was one of my favorites. Buckethead's solo during madagascar was barely audible. Finck was the highlight guitarist. Buckethead moved around a lot more than before; he jumped from the platform a few times and interacted with finck and the rest of the band. Pittman looked supid in his attire. Fortus soloed during a few songs, i guess the same ones as before. Brain rocked, he dressed as a latino gangster, with the checkerd buttoned up shirt starting from the neck and leather gloves. There was a solo at the end of the blues, like the gnr radio promo. There's a new keybord part in The Blues, it was played at the beginning of this leg of the tour, i don't know if anyone else noticed... it wasn't there in rio. Axl said this leg of the tour was mostly just to play the old songs long time fans want to hear. The intro before NR has to be a new song. It must be an indication to a new epic that's in store for us, Axl seemed liek he wanted to play the song right there and then, tommy even played a few notes. It sounds more emotional, a more painful song. Mix Master Mike was good for about 15 min. CKY was good, but they're not in the same league as gnr.

One more thing. Can't people realize Izzy and Slash left the group a long time ago? They're clueless to the mediocre albums released by these two. It's reality, deal with it.
Thumper
Catwoman eh!
Legend

The wolf's clear, intelligent eyes brushed mine.

« Reply #128 on: November 30, 2002, 02:55:19 PM »

Glad you had fun SSS!  

kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #129 on: November 30, 2002, 03:18:06 PM »

Wicked show. Awesome attendance too, considering this show had almost zero fucking promotion. No TV spots, nary a mention on Much Music, and I didn't even hear much on the radio till the day of the show. Place was backed, even the nosebleeds and private boxes. Probably around 15-16,000. Shakira only got 10,000 the night before.

One person around me yelled Slash during Buckethead's solo, and like six people turned and told him to shut the fuck up in tandem. He didn't say a word after that. Where I was (about 25 rows back on the floor) most people were really into Buckethead. He got a big cheer for the first part of his solo where he plays like a madman, and a big cheer for Star Wars as well. People were a bit confused about the toys though. I think they were Lord of the Rings action figures, damn that's cool.

I noticed some of the people in the stands sitting near the middle of the show, although it seemed all the girls were on their feet, and so was the floor. And then they were back up towards the end.

A lot of people screamed for Patience. Especially since Axl was a tease and started whistling earlier on in the show, then changed his mind.

Lots of hot chicks here in Toronto, but damn they're timid. Took thirty minutes for them to get going. I wonder if Axl is just sitting around backstage waiting to see enough flesh before he finally goes on...  [hihi]

Madagascar gave me fucking chills live.
axlsalinger
Rocker

All I got, is precious time...

« Reply #130 on: November 30, 2002, 04:41:45 PM »

Hey kids.

I won't bother putting a full review on here since it's already been done .. i'll just add a couple of points.

Bottom line is that this show was F&%in' amazing from start to finish!! Everyone loved Buckethead, and his guitar playing was letter-perfect everytime he played a solo. That didn't surprise me - he has a star quality about him. I was however, surprised at how good Robin was... there were at least 3 times when a great solo was being played, and I immediately thought it was Buckethead, but when i looked up at the screen, it was Robin!

I believe Axl said that "backstage before the show a girl was asking CKY how they determine who gets backstage, and the singer said that they have David Lee Roth go out and pick the girls since he's not doing much right now, but has good taste." He also introduced Chris Pittman as wearing a suit "he said he wouldn't be caught alive in!"

"Madagascar" was about what I expected it to be, sounds like the live versions we've downloaded. However, "The Blues" and especially "Chinese Democracy" sound even better now! I can't wait to hear this album!!

I also loved the fact that Richard Fortus played the first major solo in November Rain, Robin Finck played the second one, and Buckethead solo'ed over the last minute or two of the song. They were all awesome!!!

Axl wore a "number 26" Leafs home jersey for the first half with no name. # 26 is Paul Healey, he's a bit of a minor league Leaf, he played around 30 games last year, and he started this year in the minors but was just called up a week or two ago. I wonder if maybe he's a fan of the band or something, or if Axl just likes # 26 (since there was no name on the jersey) ...  I have no idea.

Bottom line: it was a fantastic show, and Axl seemed to be in very good spirits for the entire concert. As has been mentioned, he said sarcastically at one point (referring to Montreal) "we'll talk about that later with our good friend Lars" ... i'd love to know the full story here!

Axl ... release CD and come back to Toronto soon please!!!!!!!

When all is said and done,
We're not the only ones,
Who look at life this way
axlsalinger
Rocker

All I got, is precious time...

« Reply #131 on: November 30, 2002, 04:43:59 PM »

one other point for those who care ... Axl did not wear any headgear (hat, bandanna, etc.) at any point in the concert.

Also, Brain was awesome on every song, especially You Could Be Mine. A much better drummer than Matt Sorum.

When all is said and done,
We're not the only ones,
Who look at life this way
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #132 on: November 30, 2002, 05:14:12 PM »

Guns N Roses thrill Toronto crowd with vintage set, far cry from Vcr experience

ANGELA PACIENZA  
Canadian Press

Saturday, November 30, 2002

TORONTO (CP) - The 1980s returned to Toronto on Friday night in all their pyrotechnic, metal-rock glamour - albeit nearly an hour late.

Led by an energetic Axl Rose, Guns N' Roses stormed onto the stage at the Air Canada Centre - the band's first trip to a Canadian city since the riot in Vancouver on what was to be the band's opening night of the Chinese Democracy world tour - answering the all-too familiar question: "Do you know where you are?"

With green flood lights swirling wildly, Welcome to the Jungle kicked off a vintage Guns N Roses set of songs taken mostly from Appetite For Destruction and Use Your Illusion I and II.

For a while it seemed the show would not happen. Rose and the clan were 50 minutes late getting to the stage. Cameramen tried to keep the audience occupied by displaying crowd shots of what seemed to be a Toronto version of Girls Gone Wild - hot young women in cleavage-revealing tanks tops flashing their breasts - on the two big screens on either side of the stage.

It's raunchy appeal seemed to wear off after a while, the crowd's chants of "G and R" grew dimmer and at least one scuffle broke out in the aisles.

But the approximately 14,000 fans thought the wait was well worth it, clapping and singing along for the majority of the show.

A charismatic Rose, 40, wearing a Maple Leafs hockey jersey, put on a vigorous show filled with lots of frenzied rock 'n roll energy. He sprinted from one end of the stage to the other, his long braided hair whipping through the air in a show all its own. His notorious wailing was on full display, although the enthusiastic crowd often drowned his voice out chanting along with every word.

Vintage hits were trotted out throughout the two-hour show including Live and Let Die, Knockin' on Heaven's Door, Sweet Child O Mine, You Could Be Mine, Mr. Brownstone, Patience, and Paradise City.

November Rain saw Rose playing a grand piano under a waterfall of fireworks.

New songs from the upcoming Chinese Democracy album included the title song.

The multi-tiered stage, allowing Rose lots of running space, sat on top of a large red circle with Chinese symbols. Multi-coloured flood lights worked overtime. Explosive, old-school fireworks pumped up the crowd and brought '80s-style glamour rock to the arena.

It's the band's first North American tour since 1993.

Rose has been busy trying to finish the new album since 2000. It's expected to be released in February.

After a falling out with his band, Rose formed a new crew for the tour, retaining only keyboardist Dizzy Reed.

New additions include former Nine Inch Nails guitarist Robin Finck, bassist Tommy Stinson from the Replacements, ex-Primus drummer Brian Mantia and avant-garde guitarist Buckethead.

Wearing a white mask and a Kentucky Fried Chicken bucket on his head, Buckethead's solo - which also included playing the Star Wars theme song and several minutes of waving numchucks and break-dancing - was clearly a crowd pleaser. Judging by the reception to his performance and the fan in the second-row who wore a KFC bucket throughout the show, Buckethead is quickly establishing a cult-like following on the tour.

Much has been said about Rose's chops not aging well but a shaky sound system made it difficult to know for sure. It should be noted that five teleprompters, in clear view, were scattered on the stage, scrolling through lyrics for Rose.

The rocker, however, has remained confident about his abilities.

"To the ones who are negative and want to see either myself or the new band fall on their faces, personally I can't pass up an opportunity to upset so many of them in one quick swoop. I get misty-eyed just thinking about it," he said prior to the tour.

Regardless of the sound, the lively crowd enthusiastically bopped up and down to the music, enjoying the old-school flavours released with every rock-steady anthem performed. Cigarette lighters were whipped out and flames proudly displayed during all the ballads.

The scene was a far cry from the riot in Vancouver on Nov. 7 after the opening show of the band's North American leg of the world tour was cancelled when Rose missed his flight.

Thousands of fans rioted for about an hour outside GM Place in downtown Vancouver. Police used pepper spray to disperse the rioters.

It wasn't the first time chaos has erupted at a Guns N Roses show.

At a concert in Santiago, Chile, in 1992, 10 people were hurt and 178 people were arrested. The group's departure from the country was delayed for about nine hours while authorities searched their private plane for drugs. Nothing was found.

In 1991, Rose precipitated a riot in a St. Louis suburb by jumping off the stage and attacking a fan videotaping the concert. Sixty people were hurt and the Riverport Amphitheatre in Maryland Heights, Mo., was wrecked.

Several lawsuits were filed and Rose was charged with assault and property damage. Rose never surrendered to face the charges and was arrested a year later by federal agents at Kennedy International Airport in New York as he returned from a European tour. He was eventually put on probation for two years and ordered to donate $50,000 to five social service organizations.

The rockers entered the music scene in 1985, earning fans with their punk-infused heavy metal sound. The band's heydays were between 1987 and 1992 when Welcome to The Jungle, Paradise City, Sweet Child O' Mine and November Rain dominated the airwaves.

The band has sold more than 80 million albums worldwide.

? Copyright  2002 The Canadian Press

http://www.canada.com/stcatharines/story.asp?id=%7B6DCF7B15-A060-4076-A342-B98FB7B7C32C%7D

Thanks to Charles on the DNB list.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: November 30, 2002, 05:23:00 PM by jarmo » Logged

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #133 on: November 30, 2002, 05:33:00 PM »

Guns 'N Roses T.O. concert cohesive, powerful

By Dominic Patten, Exclusive to CTV.ca

TORONTO ? The fact that they actually showed up and the fact that there wasn't a riot would deem Friday night's Guns 'N Roses show at the Air Canada Centre a success.

Not that the hoards of police and the strict ACC staff were going to take any chances. The police were outside and inside the arena and they made their presence very visible to anyone who might have been thinking of repeating the riot that took place at the cancelled show in Vancouver earlier this month.

The ACC turned off the taps at 9:30 p.m. ET because it had been decided the crowd was liquored up enough. A fight that broke out in the upper stands was quelled by security so fast there wasn't even a second punch laid.

And while the tunes being played over the sound system were like listening to your dream punk rock mix CD, people were getting antsy. I head a few guys behind me muttering to themselves.

"You don't think they've bailed do you?"

"Naw, dude that's just Axl being Axl. He'll come on when he feels like it."

Well, the GNR frontman and his crew didn't take the stage until almost 10:40 p.m. ET, by which time even the mulletheads and the geezers had gotten bored of watching pretty girls in the audience gyrate and flash their breasts on the giant video screens set up around the stage.

But as soon as the opening chords of the band's classic "Welcome to the Jungle" started and Axl, in a Toronto Maple Leafs jersey, screeched in to the mic "Do you know where you are, you're in the jungle baby" all was forgiven.

Throughout the band's two hour set, that love and dedication from the 16,000 plus audience forgave a band that is still finding its touring legs.

This was the 12th stop on the band's North American "Chinese Democracy" tour, which Axl has said "is going to go off and on for the next two or three years" and will see the band release at least two new albums worth of material. Let's hope the band doesn't hit too many bumps in the road, because they still have to work out how to put on a show.

Axl Rose is the only original member of GNR in the band today. Since the mid-nineties, through lawsuits, busts, and slagging from his former bandmates in the media, Axl's been retooling the band to meet his musical vision, going through producers and players to find the perfect line-up. The current band is the result

The new band, described by surprisingly chatty, can no doubt play. The mysterious Buckethead's guitar solo that turned into a stunning Wagnerian rendition of the Star Wars theme proved that.

But in that example also lays the problem. Buckethead's solo was so long I watched the first part of it, went to get a drink, came all the way back to my seat and he was still playing. People were looking at their watches, and most of these fans love that type of stuff.

There is a real core of a really good, down and dirty rock 'n roll band in former Primus drummer Brian Mantia, former Replacements bassist Tommy Stinson, and guitar player Richards Fortus. Time after time last night, the three locked into grooves that were tighter than a vice.

In comparison, keyboardists Dizzy Reed and Chris Pitman, and dueling lead guitarists Robin Finck, formerly of Nine Inch Nails, and Buckethead were too remote, too clean. Most of the time, it was like these guys didn't want to break much of a sweat.

Sure, they had all the pyrotechnics and sure they played all the hits and almost all of the band's 1987 major label debut "Appetite For Destruction" and sometimes they really cooked in that way that reminds you that GNR were once the most dangerous and probably best rock'n roll band in the world. But last night's the show lacked focus and because of that the energy lagged.

It was a collection of little things. Numerous technical problems and inconsistent sound levels. The stage going dark between every song, which essentially pulled the plug on the crowd's roar. Or Axl oddly leaving the stage during every instrumental section of every song. Was he going back to sip tea for his throat? Who knows. Or Buckethead's wandering around the stage between solos like he didn't know what to do with himself.

Maybe Axl has to let the new guys off the leash more, or maybe they get kind of bored playing other people's songs. I think the latter might be the case, because when they launched into the as yet unreleased new songs like "Chinese Democracy" it all became much more cohesive and powerful.

Was it a great show? No. Was it a good show? Yes. And would I say go see them again? Yes. You know why? Because once the usual GNR controversy of riots and temper tantrums dies down and they are just a working band on tour, and once people start to hear and know the new songs, well, then Guns 'N Roses, this Guns 'N Roses, will truly kick. And that will be a sight to see.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1038675030333_26/?hub=Entertainment

Thanks once again to Charles.

/jarmo

Slade65
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #134 on: November 30, 2002, 05:37:56 PM »

3.5 stars out of 5, which given the way the media has responded to this tour can't be considered too bad.

LONE gunman
Guns N' Roses returns -- but only Axl remains

By JANE STEVENSON

Guns N' Roses, those missing-in-action, hard-rock kingpins from the late '80s, are touring again for the first time in nearly a decade.

Actually, make that lead singer Axl Rose is touring again, without any of his original bandmates, including dueling guitarists Slash and Izzy Stradlin.

Rose -- now 40 -- still managed to draw about 14,000 fans to the Air Canada Centre last night, with a lineup of seven musicians including longest serving GNR member, keyboardist Dizzy Reed who came on board for 1991's Use Your Illusion I and II .

The rest, guitarists Buckethead (who lived up to his name by wearing a KFC container on his head) Robin Finck and Richard Fortus, keyboardist Chris Pitman, drummer "Brain," and bassist Tommy Stinson, have all been working with Rose and Reed on the long-awaited new GNR album, Chinese Democracy, whose release has been delayed repeatedly.

For now, fans had to make do with Rose and Co., trotting out mostly oldies with a set list that favoured songs from GNR's monster 1987 breakthrough debut, Appetite For Destruction.

Opening with the anthemic Welcome To The Jungle and wearing a Toronto Maple Leafs jersey (No. 26), black track pants and white sneakers -- the band didn't allow photographers -- the long-haired-and-braided Rose proved to be a real crowd pleaser. Even if it was kind of sad to see teleprompters, at least two located on the mini-catwalks on either side of the stage, displaying song lyrics.

To his credit, Rose didn't let down in the energy department, literally running around the stage for just over two hours when he wasn't doing his trademark moves -- the side-to-side dance, and the rhythmic stomping of one foot -- or letting loose with primal scream-worthy wails.

Highlights included a spirited cover of Paul McCartney's Live And Let Die -- complete with explosions, firebursts and a major crowd singalong -- and a more toned-down version of Bob Dylan's Knockin' On Heaven's Door.

But the real barnburner proved to be Sweet Child O' Mine, with the boisterous crowd drowning out Rose's vocals, and the encore number Paradise City which got some added value from numerous explosions, fireworks, firebursts and confetti.

Runners-ups for audience favourites were You Could Be Mine, Out Ta Get Me, November Rain and Patience.

As for the musicianship, the guitar attack of Buckethead (who had his own dance moves and solo moment, which included the Star Wars theme) Finck and Fortus proved to be formidable along with the thunderous drumming of "Brain."

Even Rose showed off his chops, goofing around on piano before getting serious on November Rain.

The stripped-down stage, meanwhile, was decorated with Chinese symbols, on both the red flooring and white banners which served as a backdrop, to reflect that forthcoming album presumably.

VANCOUVER RIOT

Last night's show was certainly far better than the disastrous start to the GNR tour, which saw thousands of fans riot in Vancouver earlier this month outside GM Place after promoters cancelled the show at the last minute when Rose's flight was delayed in L.A. due to bad weather.

The most controversial thing about last night's performance was the parade of exhibitionist-happy women in the audience who -- whenever the video camera zoomed in on them -- flashed bras, breasts, bums, and the occasional thong, or made out with each other.

It was basically a ploy to distract the crowd from the fact that Rose and his band were 50 minutes late taking the stage.

-- JANE STEVENSON

Air Canada Centre

Sun Rating: 3 1/2 out of 5

http://www.canoe.ca/TorontoShowbiz/ts.ts-11-30-0069.html
michael mackagan
Got Prostitute?
VIP

« Reply #135 on: November 30, 2002, 05:45:54 PM »

great show in toronto,I had a great seat,I was just there
right in the front, FL-R4. I liked it and axl's voice was great,
now I know he still can sing,one thing I didn't like that he wore the same clothing the whole show,it would have been
more classical to watch him showing all his tattoos while he
was singing and running across the stage(typical of axl).
 the band played very good,but I have to say that nothing compares to the real thing,the 3 guitar players they were great,but if you put the 3 of them together can't get even
closer to slash level,I didn't like BHead's act,ok he did nice moves and some interesting things,but I consider it more  for a 5 years old birthday party,not for a rock concert,he's a weirdo funny guy though.

about kyrie saying that 6 people turned around and told a
guy to shut up 'cause he was yelling slash,I bet anything if
slash would have made a surprise appearance last night,
everyone would have gone crazy and forgot BHead was on
stage.

ok then,don't get me wrong I liked the show and I enjoyed it a lot,but about some people here are saying that the show was better than ever,I don't agree with it because I still feel it lacked the old magic,let's put it this way this new
band would never have an audience of 50,000 like the old
band did.
 My dream is and always will be that the real gunners some
day will reunite;then finally I can go and buy my ticket to see
GUNS AND ROSES.

DUFF
lastroots
« Reply #136 on: November 30, 2002, 05:50:19 PM »

ok then,don't get me wrong I liked the show and I enjoyed it a lot,but about some people here are saying that the show was better than ever,I don't agree with it because I still feel it lacked the old magic,let's put it this way this new
band would never have an audience of 50,000 like the old
band did.
 My dream is and always will be that the real gunners some
day will reunite;then finally I can go and buy my ticket to see
GUNS AND ROSES.

Roll Eyes

/lastroots
rawkr
Whip it... whip it good!
VIP

do what thou will shall be the whole of thy law

« Reply #137 on: November 30, 2002, 08:35:52 PM »

I've been to a shitload of concerts over the years and last night was pure magic. No other word describes it any better. Simply the best concert I've ever seen and feel priveleged to have been there because next time they come around it will be in 50 000 seat stadiums once CD is finally released...make no mistakes about it. There are those that will always cling to the past and it's their business if they do, I'd much rather enjoy the real experience of living in the now.

If Torotno audiences are known for one thing it's their general conservatism. Last night that image was shattered by the new Guns n Roses as the ACC erupted in electricity. The majority of the crowd was on it's feet throughout the concert, something rare for Toronto. Rarer even still was the fact that they almost drowned out the band when sining along to the hits. True, there were brief moments of technical glitches but nothing too drastic or noticeable. There was also a slight calming down after BH's solo and during the performance of some of the newer material as the crowd was obviously unfamiliar with it, but it was short lived. I thought the place would literally  explode during SCOM as that's how powerfull the audeinces reaction was.

And to the Toronto press who gave reviews that predictably bordered on the safe....FUCK OFF AND DIE! You are not fans of rock n roll, go to a LIPPED SYNCHED Eminem concert cause that's where you belong as you should be ashamed to call yourself rock journalists. Had it been some flavour of the week band like the Vines or some other 'the' band and they produced a fraction of the electrcity GN'R did last night you'd be pissing yourselves silly because your only function is to follow trends in a desperate and vain attempt to make yourselves seem cool. You must have been real pissed off, especially after Axl's rant about you idiotic lot, that you couldn't totally trash the concert as you hoped you would since it's the "in" thing to do nowadys.

Bands rarely start off tours in their best form. I think last night GN'R hit it's stride. The rest of you still waiting to see the band are in for a hell of a ride. Enjoy.

Beat me, bite me, treat me bad, untie me and I promise not to bite...too hard.
MR.BROWNSTONE
Sir Post-a-lot
Legend

I'm a supreme Guns N' Roses fan.

« Reply #138 on: December 01, 2002, 12:21:18 AM »

Thank you all for the great reviews everyone.   Cheesy I like intro they used.  

12-6-02,5-12-06,5-14-06,5-15-06,5-17-06,11-5-06,11-10-06,11-13-06,11-24-06
1-28-10,10-28-11,10-29-11,11-17-11,11-20-11,11-26-11,12-30-11,12-31-11,2-12-12
2-23-12,2-24-12,2-27-12,3-12-12,11-23/24-12
muffinass
Headliner

I'm a muffin!

« Reply #139 on: December 01, 2002, 02:46:57 AM »

I'm completely speechless after attending the show....I had tickets @ fl4, row 19, right in front.....
  I for one like mixmaster mike, and thought it was quite admiriable that GNR would bring such a diversified opening act on the road....true, some of his stuff got monotonous, but he did his job right....
  I loved every minute of the show, and definitely Axl gets mainstage spotlight ovation for the show....Dizzy brought back a feeling of nostalgia on the piano during The Blues (thinking back to Nov. Rain played live by him).....yet the other pianist I found very out of place...he wasn't really doing much on the keyboards, aside from swivelling to and fro on the damn thing!!
  Axl was very casual and comfortable which I think made everybody feel at home in their seats....I had waited 12 years to see them live, and I was simply astounded...
  The only thing that I found was quite dissappointing (but nonetheless didn't ruin the experience) were the teleprompters and Axl's absence off the stage everytime he wouldn't have a singing part during the beginning.
  Another thing did anyone stick around for the figth that happened outside the ACC after the show was over?  I found it unbelievably typicall and hypocrittical of the popos to be patrolling the acc while these idiots were beating each other's brains out (wasn't that bad, but still).....
  Either way, I just wanted to share the joyous feeling  that I left the concert with, and ask if anyone had the courage to bring to bootleg the concert Smiley
  Let mr. axl continue the good work and come by more often..
  the muffinass

Nov.15th, Air Canada Center !!!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: