Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 10:42:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Duff says Scott was around more than Axl during songwriting.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Duff says Scott was around more than Axl during songwriting.  (Read 22797 times)
nigtrain_inmyvain
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2004, 07:16:12 PM »

Here's my theory on the songwriting process in Guns n' Roses.

It goes without saying that since Slash and Izzy could play guitar and Axl couldn't, they wrote most of the instrumental parts. The songwriting credit system that Slash invented were divided into 4 parts; lyrical, melody, musically and arrangments. If I remeber correctly each of the categories were equal in value. If we take Axl's 40,2% share of AFD it would fit almost perfectly if he wrote all the lyrics and all the melodys (wich is common for a vocalist) and then the rest of the band would share the musical and arrangment parts. But the fact is Axl only wrote the lyrics and melodys for 8 and one third/fourth (he wrote the last verse on It's So Easy I think) of the songs on AFD, wich would leave him with about 34% of the royalties.

And this is where I think the importance of Axl in the band comes in. It's clear he didn't write much of the musical stuff, Slash and Izzy did for the most part. Then why does all the projects these guys have been involved in without Axl pretty much suck compared to what they did in Gn'R?

I think what's special about Axl is his ear for pulling the best parts out of an idea that others have written and that he has a unique way of making all these parts into a comprehensive song. Axl isn't a universal genius but he has a way of getting the guys he work with to write some really good stuff they wouldn't have written on their own.
If I was a guy that actually wrote a piece of music and then some 15 years down the road some twatstick would claim someone else wrote that piece,but congratulate me on noticing and recording that piece of music,I'd be pretty pissed off

You made one mistake there pollux...you figured that lyrics and mellody for them were separated when computing the writting credits,while in truth they were put together.
Lyrics and mellodies for them TOGETHER made 25 percents of an album.So if axl would wrote lyrics and mellodies for all 12 songs,he would still only have 25 %,and the rest would be other music.But he didn't,so that means around 23 % he is credited for came from making music

I'm really sorry to burst your bubble
GNR - CROATIA
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2004, 12:00:56 PM »

Oh c'mon!   You Axl fans pull it too far! (As always).
It is obvious that Duff is trying to say that VR are closer than GNR were.
Axl didn't even have soundchecks together with the rest of the band which is - sad!
Why do you guys keep quiet when AXL shits against all the other members but make noise when they say this band is more coherrant? no
nigtrain_inmyvain
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2004, 02:52:14 PM »

Oh c'mon!? ?You Axl fans pull it too far! (As always).
It is obvious that Duff is trying to say that VR are closer than GNR were.
Axl didn't even have soundchecks together with the rest of the band which is - sad!
Why do you guys keep quiet when AXL shits against all the other members but make noise when they say this band is more coherrant? no
I think it's the other way around.
When someone says obvious nonsense like that izzy wrote half of the lyrics,noone says muu to correct the guy(now even you can't deny that).I can't tell you how many times I've heard that axl needs izzy back since best songs on appetite were written by him,and if you ask that person what some of his fav songs of the album are,it's usually everything else but the songs izzy wrote(I mean really,besides brownstone,can Think about you really compare to something like RQ or Welcome to the jungle or Nightrain?).
 Which would suggest two things-either people don't know who wrote what in which case it should be pointed out(as it is in this thread) or everything else...well something
 In response to your post...nothing really!I said my piece Cheesy

cheers
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2004, 11:11:53 AM »

I remember Slash saying they would radio in what was supposed to be done to each other.  Most of there communication in the later Use Your Illusion years was done over the phone and not in person.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2004, 12:23:25 PM »

And this is where I think the importance of Axl in the band comes in. It's clear he didn't write much of the musical stuff, Slash and Izzy did for the most part. Then why does all the projects these guys have been involved in without Axl pretty much suck compared to what they did in Gn'R?

I disagree, the guys post-GN'R music doesn't suck at all. They made their parts of GN'R, just listen to the albums. GN'R was a team effort, every member put his best and worked on the songs: the musicians on the music, the lyricists on the lyrics and vocal melodies. That's it. I don't want to turn it into a VR vs. Nu-GN'R argument, but Axl's Nu-GN'R isn't even close to the old GN'R, just like Slash & Co. made different type of music. Slash is the bluesy hard-rocker, Axl's the musical 'explorer', Izzy's the Stones-man, Duff is the punk and Steven is Steven.  yes

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2004, 12:59:41 PM »

Slash is the bluesy hard-rocker, Axl's the musical 'explorer', Izzy's the Stones-man, Duff is the punk and Steven is Steven.

rofl Couldn't have said it better myself!

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2004, 01:21:43 PM »

Slash is the bluesy hard-rocker, Axl's the musical 'explorer', Izzy's the Stones-man, Duff is the punk and Steven is Steven.

Well, I think he was a very important part of GN'R, but I couldn't find a musical description for him  Grin

Rollin' on the streets
coolman78SLASH
VIP

You gotta have balls man-Tony Montana-Scarface

« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2004, 05:04:51 AM »

Well, I think he was a very important part of GN'R, but I couldn't find a musical description for him? Grin

Well, he had the "swing" as Izzy said once, and he gave the songs a certain groove, and even if Matt was technical better as a drummer, he had less of that "swing"...

GnR June 10th 1993
Slash’s Snakepit June 24th 1995
Velvet Revolver August 13th 2004
GnR June 28th 2006
Slash & friends  June 30th 2009
GnR June 15th 2022
GnR June 23. 2023
Cocaine__tongue
Axl's lawyer wannabe
Rocker

HAPPY HAPPY

« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2004, 05:21:01 AM »

Anyway, what is the point in duff bashing at axl this way? shouldn't he just move ahead???.

Scott can be around more than Axl during songwriting, but the lyrics comparison between the 2....just a no match. axl is a lot more talented.

Madrid '93
Madrid '06
Bilbao '06
San Sebastian '10
London 17
Download Madrid 18
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2004, 05:33:01 AM »

Anyway, what is the point in duff bashing at axl this way? shouldn't he just move ahead???.

Scott can be around more than Axl during songwriting, but the lyrics comparison between the 2....just a no match. axl is a lot more talented.

So you might see that Duff didn't bash Axl, he just said the truth that Scott was more around during the songwriting. He didn't say that Scott wrote better songs than Axl.

Rollin' on the streets
nigtrain_inmyvain
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2004, 07:20:01 AM »

So you might see that Duff didn't bash Axl, he just said the truth that Scott was more around during the songwriting. He didn't say that Scott wrote better songs than Axl.
As I've said before,if you put his quote in the context of the last two months ,one has to wonder what he really meant.
  Find me some older interview where he said anything about songwritting that could be interpreted in several different  ways.You won't find one,but you will 3 of them in the last two months
 Mikka are you saying that duff's quote can't be interpreted as "axl didn't write a lot of songs"
 For fucks sake,just few weeks ago he was saying the journalist misquoted him,and then he goes and says this.
 It's like saying "he's not into girls."This could mean he's into women,or it could mean he's into boys.You can believe what you want,but I don't think duff is so stupid he wouldn't realise that
 He's an asshole period
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2004, 07:30:54 AM »

As I've said before,if you put his quote in the context of the last two months ,one has to wonder what he really meant.
? Find me some older interview where he said anything about songwritting that could be interpreted in several different? ways.You won't find one,but you will 3 of them in the last two months
 Mikka are you saying that duff's quote can't be interpreted as "axl didn't write a lot of songs"
 For fucks sake,just few weeks ago he was saying the journalist misquoted him,and then he goes and says this.
 It's like saying "he's not into girls."This could mean he's into women,or it could mean he's into boys.You can believe what you want,but I don't think duff is so stupid he wouldn't realise that
 He's an asshole period

Everybody knows that Axl wasn't around when the band wrote the songs, he liked to work on the songs on his own. It means that when the band wrote the music, he worked on thy lyrics in his mansion and on the other hand he wrote NR and Estranged mostly without the band and when he finished his parts, he asked the others to work on the songs. Duff meant that Scott is more of a team-player than Axl used to be. It doesn't say that Axl didn't write as much.

On the other hand it's obvious that Axl didn't write much of the GN'R music. He wrote the lyrics and the vocal melodies (although these melodies are considered as a part of the music) and he wrote some songs, at least the chords. The main musical force of GN'R was Slash and Izzy.

Rollin' on the streets
nigtrain_inmyvain
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2004, 08:23:03 AM »

Everybody knows that Axl wasn't around when the band wrote the songs, he liked to work on the songs on his own. It means that when the band wrote the music, he worked on thy lyrics in his mansion and on the other hand he wrote NR and Estranged mostly without the band and when he finished his parts, he asked the others to work on the songs. Duff meant that Scott is more of a team-player than Axl used to be. It doesn't say that Axl didn't write as much.

On the other hand it's obvious that Axl didn't write much of the GN'R music. He wrote the lyrics and the vocal melodies (although these melodies are considered as a part of the music) and he wrote some songs, at least the chords. The main musical force of GN'R was Slash and Izzy.

Lay off the crack pipe.As you can see from my previous posts axl had to write music since numbers don't lie,like ever.
 If Izzy was the main writting force music wise,he would have MUCH more writting credits for AFD.
MIKKA,how is your math?If Izzy has a little over 20 % for afd,and if he wrote 3 songs music and lyrics wise,wouldn't that suggest that he had like 6 % left for music in other songs
 Mikka,until you can reason with me as to why he doesn't have more credits for AFD if what you're saying is true,please do not respond.I'm sick and tired of people like you spewing nonsense without facts to back it up
 Again Mikka,numbers don't lie
 And BTW mikka,I read an interview where axl said he wrote music for AFD.So don't tell me axl didn't write music if I heard it from his mouth
nigtrain_inmyvain
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2004, 08:30:08 AM »

and again.let me remind you that lyrics and mellodies for them go under the same 25 % on AFD.And if axl had 17% for lyrics and mellodies,then where did the rest of 24% came from?
 Few more reminders...and again don't ignore them.If izzy was what you said he was,and if slash doesn't give a shit for lyrics,WHY is he praising AXL and not izzy for his songwritting?
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2004, 08:36:58 AM »

1. There is a topic for the writing credits in the general GN'R discussion
2. Numbers can lie, because it wasn't God, who create them, but the band. And Axl is overcredited. BTW when he wrote the vocal melodies it was considered as part of the music, that's why his name appeared on the AFD musical credits. But because he hardly ever played any instrument, he didn't write instrumental music for AFD. Case closed.
3. As you can hear on the Nu-GN'R songs, its music is really far from GN'R's. Only the piano songs and Axl vocal themes have anything to do with the old GN'R's legacy.

Rollin' on the streets
nigtrain_inmyvain
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2004, 09:05:47 AM »

2. Numbers can lie, because it wasn't God, who create them, but the band. And Axl is overcredited. BTW when he wrote the vocal melodies it was considered as part of the music, that's why his name appeared on the AFD musical credits. But because he hardly ever played any instrument, he didn't write instrumental music for AFD. Case closed.
3. As you can hear on the Nu-GN'R songs, its music is really far from GN'R's. Only the piano songs and Axl vocal themes have anything to do with the old GN'R's legacy.

That's your argument,that he was overcredited?Never did I hear izzy or slash say this,and yet you know that?
I'm obviously dealing with a plant here but I don't have any water to hose your brains,so I will be breif here-YOU DON'T NEED TO PLAY AN INSTRUMENT IN ORDER TO WRITE MUSIC.Damn it,read my previous posts.Was national anthem written on guitar?It had to be,how else would slash be able to play it!?Chump

This is as moronic as it gets..your whole argument is that he must have been overcredited Roll Eyes
For fucks sake,I'm lost for words,speachless,you name it Cheesy rofl hihi

Oh yeah,with regards to Nu-gnr...perhaps you should listen to solo albums of ex-gnr members-they were written when those artists were in their prime and yet most of it is a pile of shit,even stuff from your precious izzy(few exceptions there,but nothing that would come close to gnr songs)-so...your point is?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 09:14:07 AM by nigtrain_inmyvain » Logged
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2004, 01:40:11 PM »

All the solo stuff of the ex GN'R members is FAR better then the new GN'R stuff that has been played live

It's about time, there's nothing but bullshit coming from your mouth
nigtrain_inmyvain
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2004, 02:19:42 PM »

All the solo stuff of the ex GN'R members is FAR better then the new GN'R stuff that has been played live

who gives a shit about new gnr?Axl's 42 fucking years old.Tell me of one band(like stones,led zeppelin,metallica) that did anything worthwhile at that age.None of them did and neither will axl.It doesn't mean anything
 I have facts suporting my claims,while you on the other hand only have izzy's love juice on your face,lots of faith in your hero  and stained knickers that are long time overdue
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2004, 02:59:03 PM »

who gives a shit about new gnr?Axl's 42 fucking years old.Tell me of one band(like stones,led zeppelin,metallica) that did anything worthwhile at that age.None of them did and neither will axl.It doesn't mean anything
 I have facts suporting my claims,while you on the other hand only have izzy's love juice on your face,lots of faith in your hero? and stained knickers that are long time overdue

This has been blown way out of proportion. Axl is well known to have written alot by himself especially on the Illusions. I guess Duff meant Scott was "around in the room" more often or something.

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2004, 03:59:48 PM »

I have facts suporting my claims,while you on the other hand only have izzy's love juice on your face,lots of faith in your hero? and stained knickers that are long time overdue

Facts? Yeah right... Just because you have some thoughts about something doesn't mean there facts. You mentioned the writing credits system, give me a link to the interview where Axl talks about the percentages.

while you on the other hand only have izzy's love juice on your face,lots of faith in your hero  and stained knickers that are long time overdue

You should see a doctor and ask him for some medication cause obviously you're in need of some
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: