Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:57:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227804 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Pantera
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pantera  (Read 57324 times)
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2004, 12:35:44 PM »

Primal Concrete Sledge owns.

FFS, stop just posting to boost ur post count.

Since the last time this thread surfaced i have got into Far Beyond Driven and The Great Southern Trendkill, albums previously i hadn't liked. Gotta say Far beyond driven is probably my new favourite - just brutal and yet surprisngly melodic, some of the finest riffs i have ever heard - if Dimebag can do it here why can't he do it with Damageplan?

I was posting a real opinion, Izzy, just because the post was short it doesn't mean that it wasn't relevant.

Do you want me to post an essay next time rather than doing it with four simple words?

Bow to the Tempo of the Damned!
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2004, 04:52:55 PM »

Ya this was the first song i ever heard by them...Love it so much

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2004, 06:02:47 PM »

Yeah, the album is a metal masterpiece.

I don't know what they are up to now but does anyone have any news on the possibility of a new album from Pantera?

Bow to the Tempo of the Damned!
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2004, 07:07:48 PM »

Yeah, the album is a metal masterpiece.

I don't know what they are up to now but does anyone have any news on the possibility of a new album from Pantera?

I doubt it as they broke up some 4 years ago, forming Damageplan (Dimebag, Vinnie) and Superjoint Ritual (Phil)

Anyone know what Rex is doing now?

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Captain Obvious
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2004, 12:20:27 AM »

What song is everyone talking about??
R4tfink
Naked Waldorf in front of the computer
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2005, 05:15:04 AM »

What song is everyone talking about??

Woah old thread! Once again, couldnt be bothered to make a new one!
They were talking about Cowboys From Hell Captain Oblivious.

My five favourite Pantera songs are as follows:-

Cemetary Gates
This Love
Five Minutes Alone ( If you cant dance to this track then you have no legs)
Yesterday Dont Mean Shit ( Awesome Riffage!)
Fucking Hostile

As said in the Dime thread, i miss these Mofo's, I read on Blabbermouth a few weeks ago that Phil is getting back together with "Down", however as they are based on New Orleans this has been put back to 2006.
At least that is something....

Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2005, 05:28:00 AM »

Top 5 eh.....damn thats so hard, i can't make a list without feeling guilty for not including another song

I will give a special mention to Hollow - the lyrics to that and Dimebags solo.....its really moving

People seem to forget that as well as being utterly brutal Pantera could do incredible lyrics - Hollow and Cemetery gates are a lyrical match for Estranged or Time in my very humble opinion

Quick! To the bandwagon!
R4tfink
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2005, 05:35:27 AM »

Thats just it, its the whole package with Pantera, they can play heavy, they can play melodic, they can play groovie, they can write, the Rhythm section was tight as fuck and then you have Phil and Dime, 2 of the best of my era at what they do.

Phil blew his vocals out pretty bad though, which is why people seem to think they were shit in 2001 when they played live....Fuck me, at least those guys got to see them!

Agreed about the Top 5 thing, it is very difficult to pick 5 and mine change day to day, i have an ipod that stores 4000 songs, yet i only use 110 of them recently, its all Pantera!

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2005, 12:05:13 PM »

Got to see Pantera twice,

1. September 1997 - Palace of Auborn Hills, Detroit, MI for the official 101 proof tour
2. June 2000 - Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, ON, Canada for the Reinventing the steel tour

I was on the floor both times and I thought they fucking ruled both times. I don't know who you talked to that said they were shit but they don't know what they are tallking about. And sorry you didn't get the chance to see them live. Undecided

Favorite 5 Pantera Tunes? (man that is sooo fucking hard to pick, off the top of my head? these I guess)

1. Cemetery Gates
2. Revolution is My Name (wicked wicked guitar riff ok )
3. Cowboys from Hell
4. I'm Broken
5. Floods (dunno why but I love this damn song!)

Down is pretty awesome too, I will be happy to hear something new from good old Phil, I haven't checked out Damageplan yet but I will get it at some point.

Anybody have news when that David Allan Coe/Vinnie/Dime project is to be released? I'm kinda looking forward to it Shocked

R4tfink
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2005, 02:15:19 PM »

Anybody have news when that David Allan Coe/Vinnie/Dime project is to be released? I'm kinda looking forward to it Shocked

What is it? Music Wise?

And forgive my naievity, who is David Allan Coe?

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2005, 02:43:49 PM »

What is it? Music Wise?

And forgive my naievity, who is David Allan Coe?

Umm, I was actually of the same opinion.

I couple weeks ago i bought the Guitar World Magazine. it had an interview with Vinnie Paul (His first since Dime's murder) and it talked about some unreleased Dimebag recordings.

There are, what were going to be the 2d Damageplan recordings, which Vinnie is unsure what he is going to do with them.

the second set of unreleased stuff was some stuff Vinnie Dime and some Country-blues grass type of musician named David Allan Coe (A favorite of Vinnie and DIme's father). Anyway Vinnie said that they did Hardcore Pantera Music with this Country Guy singing, and it's some of DIme's best stuff ever!! but it has never been released before, cuz they didn't want fans to think that they were doing a couple side projects until PAntera got back together, Cuz apparently PAntera was DOne forever and Damageplan was for real. So the orig plan was, after the second Damageplan album was released then this thing would come out. But Dime died Cry Anyway now the plan is for this thing to be released at some point around Christmas. It sounds interesting to me and was wondering if anyone had heard more on the subject
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 02:59:31 PM by Neemo » Logged

GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2005, 03:21:20 PM »

As soon as I've finished putting these GN'R tunes on my phone right now, I'm gonna go grab my Pantera cd's!  101 proof is a quality live album, talk about on form.  The videos on the greatest hits are unstoppable.

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2005, 03:52:41 PM »

I loved cowboys from hell, that rocked, some of there 80s albums are great also. But some later ones  i think? The singer got into the whole grunting thing, not as bad as slipknot but i preffer him singing. Some great riffs from dime though.

html sucks
R4tfink
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2005, 04:36:42 PM »

I loved cowboys from hell, that rocked, some of there 80s albums are great also. But some later ones? i think? The singer got into the whole grunting thing, not as bad as slipknot but i preffer him singing. Some great riffs from dime though.

More because he blew his voice out due to excessive touring, overuse and substance abuse.
However, with that being said, Phil still sounds awesome...his voice is deep man, and when he does some of his "Growls" it sounds like a death rattle, like hes bringing the sound all the way from his toes!

Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2005, 09:36:10 AM »

Unfortunatley I never got to see them live..I didnt become a big fan until about 2-3 years ago but man they kick ass..Fav songs are

1.Cemetary Gates
2.Cowboys From Hell
3.Walk
4.Hollow
5.Revolution Is My Name

Huge fan of the Damageplan album to..Save Me is a great tune along with many others on there

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2005, 06:51:47 AM »

Unfortunatley I never got to see them live..I didnt become a big fan until about 2-3 years ago but man they kick ass..Fav songs are

1.Cemetary Gates
2.Cowboys From Hell
3.Walk
4.Hollow
5.Revolution Is My Name

Huge fan of the Damageplan album to..Save Me is a great tune along with many others on there

As much as i love the cowboys from hell album, WALK is a fucking class song, such power. Its gotten me into vulgar display of power lol.

html sucks
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2005, 01:21:10 PM »

I loved cowboys from hell, that rocked, some of there 80s albums are great also. But some later ones? i think? The singer got into the whole grunting thing, not as bad as slipknot but i preffer him singing. Some great riffs from dime though.

Normally i hate that style of vocals - but i think Phil did it really well with Pantera - Phil proved it can sound good, its just that all these wanna-be's can't pull it off

---------------------

I bought Down, Down II and Superjoint Rituals first album

I thought they were all really, really weak. The first Down album has the weakest guitar work i've heard in some time and i though the whole album was so uninspired. Down II was a bit better but Superjoint Ritual was god-awful

Why did Phil form SJR when its pretty much the same personnel as Down - did they just get bored of the name?

I thought Damageplan's album was dire too - awful vocals

Some artists need each to do anything right.....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2005, 01:12:12 AM »

I loved cowboys from hell, that rocked, some of there 80s albums are great also. But some later ones  i think? The singer got into the whole grunting thing, not as bad as slipknot but i preffer him singing. Some great riffs from dime though.

Normally i hate that style of vocals - but i think Phil did it really well with Pantera - Phil proved it can sound good, its just that all these wanna-be's can't pull it off

---------------------

I thought they were all really, really weak. The first Down album has the weakest guitar work i've heard in some time and i though the whole album was so uninspired. Down II was a bit better but Superjoint Ritual was god-awful

Why did Phil form SJR when its pretty much the same personnel as Down - did they just get bored of the name?

I agree with you on this 100% - They just weren?t the same without each other.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2005, 08:56:11 AM »

---------------------

I agree with you on this 100% - They just weren?t the same without each other.

Seriously you didn't like down? I think they are awesome. Definately not the same as pantera but I think it's really good stuff.

I think Down is basically Pepper (CoC) and Phil's band. Pepper isn't involved with SJR is he? Down was treated as a side project and received no support from the label, that's why they stopped. (at least that's what i understand from phil interviews I have read)

Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2005, 11:23:56 AM »

I Love Pantera!

Just one thing to say!

FUCKING HOSTILE!!!!

ok

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Go Up Print