Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:43:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Hey D! Why Patton is better than Vedder!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hey D! Why Patton is better than Vedder!  (Read 3757 times)
Tied-Up
VIP

« on: December 25, 2004, 06:25:38 PM »

In the Best Frontman thread you posted this:
zdlr

vedder is better than patton! cmon! like a previous poster stated, no singer in music history has been copied more than Eddie Vedder, that says something

I'm sure that could be argued against quite adequately... How many people have copied (or sound like) Robert Plant, for example?  And of course, David Bowie - Now there's a legend for you.  The list could continue if I were so inclined to do so.

Patton has proven himself more versatile than Vedder (In my opinion).  Vedder may have opened the door for others with his whole "I'm so depressed and now I'm going to subject you to the moaning of my large intestine" soulful sounds but, that doesn't make him a better singer than Patton. 
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2004, 07:14:46 PM »

one question

who's the better song writer?

vedder wins

voices are subjective to the listener, your fav singer may suck to me and vice versa

vedder's band was more popular, better known, much deeper catalog of songs plus vedder helped usher in a new change in music

i still dont know any faith no more songs except for that "u want it all but u cant have it song.'

im not much of a pearl jam fan, i wouldnt call myself one because i technically only like 6 or 7 songs

but comparin patton to vedder is like comparin masturbation to well axl rose hihi

did anyone get t hat?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2004, 07:31:29 PM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2004, 08:23:38 PM »

This is about vocalists, for their vocal TALENT not for their song writing ability. 

As far as helping to usher in a new change in music, it can be argued Faith no More did this as well...  They brought a unique, funk-rap style (with cutting edge vocals) to heavy metal/hard rock, they brought something fresh to a heap that was drowning in Bon Jovi wannabes.

Oh, but wait a minute, I forgot, you're into bon jovi, so this argument might be lost on you.

Mike Patton has range and versatility - providing rap-like vocals to songs such as Epic, quirky voices like in Falling to Pieces (These two songs are his two better known songs, but certainly not his best work!), he can rip into hard core rockers (check out Malpractice, Caffeine & Naked In Front of the Computer),  and smooth, almost haunting vocals in songs like Stripsearch. 

As far as commercial success... this means very little, except that they've made more money.  Commercial success is no measure of talent.

I am I guess... on the opposite end of the spectrum from you... I know very little of what Pearl Jam/Vedder has accomplished, because, from album one, I was turned off by his drone.  It reminds me of the sound I make when I get the dry heaves.  So, I haven't really listened to much more of his stuff.  If I want to hear a bile induced choke, I would stick my finger down my throat.
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2004, 08:26:09 PM »

Patton smokes Vedder, end of story!  peace
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2004, 08:29:09 PM »

but comparin patton to vedder is like comparin masturbation to well axl rose hihi

did anyone get t hat?

Very clever hihi

And I go with Patton.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2004, 09:10:37 PM »

the thread isnt who has the most vocal talent it was who is the best frontman of the 90's

as a frontman no one was more popular or copied than eddie vedder

vocal talent alone sure patton but this is overall frontman and vedder has been known especially in his earlier days as someone who had that wild axl like frontman energy that was 2nd to none.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2004, 09:33:18 PM »

Oh, so it's considered good form to stand there and look at your feet for 90 minutes of a concert?  Oh, ok. 

I'm convinced.   ok
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2004, 10:10:57 PM »

the thread isnt who has the most vocal talent it was who is the best frontman of the 90's

Shure, millions have copied Vedder as a frontman.I mean, tons of singers stay sill through all the concert.You cant call Vedder a frontman, you just cant

Baby Slash//

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
Stupid Head
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2004, 12:14:43 AM »

The only reason Vedder is so often copied is because he is the easiest to imitate. A lot of people with next to nothing talent can copy Vedder. He is nothing special.
grendood
My favorite word is: Bellend
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2004, 05:17:34 AM »

vocal talent alone sure patton but this is overall frontman and vedder has been known especially in his earlier days as someone who had that wild axl like frontman energy that was 2nd to none.

Yeh im sure Liam Gallagher the most iconic frontman of the 90's copied everything from vedder.

this competition means fuck all, Grin
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2004, 08:44:31 PM »

Vedder all the way

EEEERRRR Little boy
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2004, 06:42:00 AM »

My preference happens to be Patton

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2004, 03:41:13 AM »

one question

who's the better song writer?

vedder wins

voices are subjective to the listener, your fav singer may suck to me and vice versa

vedder's band was more popular, better known, much deeper catalog of songs plus vedder helped usher in a new change in music
i still dont know any faith no more songs except for that "u want it all but u cant have it song.'

im not much of a pearl jam fan, i wouldnt call myself one because i technically only like 6 or 7 songs

did anyone get t hat?

man you have know idea what you'r talkin' about, your not a FNM fan, and your not really into PJ either!!

N' your judging there singers?!!!

FNM made much more impact on music way more then PJ ever did, even if they are still together!!

N' as for Patton, he's more technical n' talented then ol' Vedder IMO!!

FNM is huge in Australia, i go to any music festivel with my FNM shirt n' people jump at ya everywhere n' just talk about em' n' Patton, PJ are big here to, but FNM are a big influence on alot of bands!! ok

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: