Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 02:42:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227981 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  ROUND 6: Best 90's Frontman Survivor!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: ROUND 6: Best 90's Frontman Survivor!  (Read 17303 times)
axl_rose_700
Legend

Guns n' fuckin roses!

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2005, 08:39:55 AM »

Phil Anselmo - Pantera

That's a hatrick for Doull
Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2005, 12:16:37 PM »

i swear i think people were accidentally voting for their favs

there just isnt anyway this shit left could defeat both cobain and vedder

why isnt chris cornell,jonathan davis,steven tyler,jon bon jovi, scott weiland, anthony kiedis,shannon hoon, or just anyone on this list?

No fucking way dude. There are plenty of good 90's frontmen that weren't on that list but Jonathan Davis, Bon Jovi, Steven Tyler sure ain't among them. And, honestly, despite what MTV has people believe, in my eyes,? Layne Staley was leagues above Cobain and Vedder combined. You cannot attribute the major musical vocal styles of the 90's to Vedder, because Staley had just as big of an influence, if not more, since AIC was one of the biggest bands to define the metal scene as well.
I agree, Layne Staley was definitely MUCH better than cobain and vedder.  No contest. 
Also, Bon Jovi?  Oh please!  if he's in the 80s frontman survivor, I'd be willing to accept that, but he certainly has no place in the 90s.  By that time, he and his hair were both gone from the relevant music scene.
Didn't Cornell win the first survivor?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2005, 02:17:53 PM »

layne staley isnt better than cobain or vedder

a lot of u are sympathetic cause he died and wasnt over played like cobain or vedder

who was the biggest band of the late 90's early 2000's?

Creed were and who did scott rip off pretty much? eddie vedder

for fucks sake scott weiland even use to imitate eddie vedder.

a lot of this is prejudice and people just disliking someone,

u mean to tell me the shit left on this list are better than THE frontman of the 90's outside of axl *kurt cobain* and then a very close 2nd in eddie vedder

talkin about bon jovi, fuck u still got sebastian bach on that list and he couldnt hold Jon's mic stand.

dont make me remind u people the only and i repeat ONLY pop metal, hair band to survive and thrive in the grunge/hiphop era.

i think it was bon jovi, so to say they werent relevant and they werent shit is ridiculous

many have tried but no one could kill or stop bon jovi

those are the facts!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2005, 02:20:17 PM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2005, 04:06:08 PM »

I disagree that Eddie Vedder is the best frontman of the 90's. People may copy him, but that alone doesn't make him great. He is good, but not the best. I like a frontman with a little more attitude and charisma.

Personally, I don't think any of those names are good enough to be the best of the 90's. There are some names that I like such as Layne and Phil, but I don't think they are quite good enough to be the best.

Captain Obvious
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2005, 06:00:48 PM »

a lot of u are sympathetic cause he died and wasnt over played like cobain or vedder

I'm not gicing him credit because he was underplayed, I'm giving him credit because he was more talented. As far as death goes, that's just rediculous to say. He died a very quiet, lonely death, after the legacy of AIC was already established. If people didn't like him, they wouldn't say they did simply out of pity.

I'm trying to see a point here. If you think Scott Stapp is such a good indicator of who was the best frontman, why didn't you include him in that list you just mentioned? Limp Bizkit was pretty fucking big as well, along with Blink, Metallica, Blur, etc. But you don't mention those. Why's that?

u mean to tell me the shit left on this list are better than THE frontman of the 90's outside of axl *kurt cobain* and then a very close 2nd in eddie vedder

Yes, except their influence isn't as apparent because it isn't shoved down your throat every time you turn on the TV.

dont make me remind u people the only and i repeat ONLY pop metal, hair band to survive and thrive in the grunge/hiphop era.

i think it was bon jovi, so to say they werent relevant and they werent shit is ridiculous

Bon Jovi will never be taken seriously because they are basically Poison with a better marketing team.  Bon Jovi should take tips from Eddie Vedder: If you don't have any vocal talent, just mumble alot and make your videos a tad darker. People will think you're mysterious.

Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2005, 06:14:17 PM »

a lot of this is prejudice and people just disliking someone,

talkin about bon jovi, fuck u still got sebastian bach on that list and he couldnt hold Jon's mic stand.

those are the facts!
rofl rofl rofl

Personally, I don't want anyone killing jon bon jovi, because then people WILL be sympathetic and turn him into an icon a la Kurt Cobain.  I have enough stomach problems, thank you, I don't need more by being confronted with some stupid bon jovi tragedy.  The music world would be better off without Mr. Breck Girl.

Bon Jovi will never be taken seriously because they are basically Poison with a better marketing team. Bon Jovi should take tips from Eddie Vedder: If you don't have any vocal talent, just mumble alot and make your videos a tad darker. People will think you're mysterious.

I couldn't agree more.   yes ok yes
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2005, 06:56:20 PM »

Jon Bon Jovi is great, although i believe his absence from this list is due to people prefering his 80s material.  Throughout Bon Jovi's career they've shown they can do pop-rock tunes better than nearly anyone, all that's presented in the main to the public is Livin' On A Prayer, Keep The Faith, Always or whatever their latest songs are now as good as they are the entire of the These Days album is far superior to those songs it's probably their most mature record and is outstanding.  Now to compare them to Poison is stupid, i love Poison but Bon Jovi are totally different fine they had dodgy hair and clothes but who didn't in the 80s, the only other thing they have in common is the ability to write great pop-rock tunes.  Eddie Vedder is another great frontman with his own style and as for Scott Stapp i hate the guy i hear the similarities vocally but overall they are quite different.  I don't have many problems with the list anyway there are some notable absences but i also remember the rules of frontmen only participating in one of these survivors, so Jon Bon Jovi will be in the 80s one, unfortunately Steven Tyler probably will to [save him for the 70s! he was so much better then], as mentioned Cornell won the other one which also had Weiland & Kiedis in so that's why they aren't in this.  As for saying Sebastian Bach could n't hold Jon's mic stand i hope that's because you have an extremely high opinon of Jon and not a low one of Bach, personally as a frontman i prefer Bach, what Jon has goin' in his favour is the fact that he has got so much more material throughout his career.
BP
Rocker

Every time i think i'm out, they pull me back in

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2005, 09:50:18 PM »

I'm not gicing him credit because he was underplayed, I'm giving him credit because he was more talented. As far as death goes, that's just rediculous to say. He died a very quiet, lonely death, after the legacy of AIC was already established. If people didn't like him, they wouldn't say they did simply out of pity.

I'm trying to see a point here. If you think Scott Stapp is such a good indicator of who was the best frontman, why didn't you include him in that list you just mentioned? Limp Bizkit was pretty fucking big as well, along with Blink, Metallica, Blur, etc. But you don't mention those. Why's that?

Yes, except their influence isn't as apparent because it isn't shoved down your throat every time you turn on the TV.

Bon Jovi will never be taken seriously because they are basically Poison with a better marketing team. Bon Jovi should take tips from Eddie Vedder: If you don't have any vocal talent, just mumble alot and make your videos a tad darker. People will think you're mysterious.

Captain O -   sounds like you were actually around then...  for I couldn't agree more. If you werent, then you have some good insight.

Tied-Up as well

Lets see....   I was in High School for the lower 90's & I chose Alice in Fuckin' Chains for my fix. Pissed all over the jovi cheese scene thank god.
Weiland broke through with his own style..... I can contest to that.

-BP

-BP

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2005, 10:45:27 PM »

im through arguing with u people

without lookin id almost guarantee none of u who bash could name 5 songs that werent hits by bon jovi and to judge a band by hits is ridiculous

so argument over

u all can have your shitty list

there is a reason cobain and vedder were shoved down everyone's throats

they were the best

without kurt cobain u probably wouldnt have had all those 'other' bands

he opened it up for everyone

BP
Rocker

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2005, 11:45:08 PM »

O Jon... you are so hot. I love you . Your hair is so warm & fluffy. O jon, You seem to have the power to reinvent yourself over n over. O Jon, you really push the limits of modern music.  O my bossoms thank you.... O Jon ....  O O ... you will always be 1988 Cheese to me

Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2005, 03:16:51 AM »

Jon Bon Jovi is great, although i believe his absence from this list is due to people prefering his 80s material.? Throughout Bon Jovi's career they've shown they can do pop-rock tunes better than nearly anyone, all that's presented in the main to the public is Livin' On A Prayer, Keep The Faith, Always or whatever their latest songs are now as good as they are the entire of the These Days album is far superior to those songs it's probably their most mature record and is outstanding.? Now to compare them to Poison is stupid, i love Poison but Bon Jovi are totally different fine they had dodgy hair and clothes but who didn't in the 80s, the only other thing they have in common is the ability to write great pop-rock tunes.? Eddie Vedder is another great frontman with his own style (...)
 I don't have many problems with the list anyway there are some notable absences but i also remember the rules of frontmen only participating in one of these survivors, so Jon Bon Jovi will be in the 80s one, unfortunately Steven Tyler probably will to [save him for the 70s! he was so much better then], as mentioned Cornell won the other one which also had Weiland & Kiedis in so that's why they aren't in this.? As for saying Sebastian Bach could n't hold Jon's mic stand i hope that's because you have an extremely high opinon of Jon and not a low one of Bach, personally as a frontman i prefer Bach, what Jon has goin' in his favour is the fact that he has got so much more material throughout his career.

I couldn't have said better. My thoughts exactly, point to point.  ok

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2005, 04:42:13 AM »

Layne Staley

u all can have your shitty list

Haha, you just have a shit taste in music, get over it.

BTW I wonder if Creed was ever that big outside the US anyway?

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2005, 02:18:17 PM »

the person who said bon jovi were poison with a better marketing team has forever lost any credibility he ever had music wise, cause anyone with a musical IQ of over 10 knows better than that shit.? that just proves my point that most of u talk out of your ass without knowing a fuckin thing about the band u are talkin about.

bon jovi out sold faith no more and alice in chains 4 to 1............................ 4 million to 1 that is hihi

only difference is, i am proud of the bands i support and will defend them to the end regardless of what people think

unlike some of u on the board who just fall in line, bandwagon and try to like whats cool

fuck whats cool, i like what i like

to me faith no more and alice in chains are horrible fuckin bands

thats my opinion just like some of u think the bands i like are horrible.

it doesnt make me right, doesnt make u right

and anyone who would try to argue that their taste in something as subjective as music is better than someone elses is pretty lame.

there is no right or wrong answer when it comes to music, cause music is all about the individual and how a certain song moves or affects them

my arguments are people arent being objective on this

cobain isnt cool anymore but how can anyone argue his importance?

vedder isnt cool anymore but this isnt *your FAVORITE frontman of the 90's* its who was the best

u people are electing your favorite and this isnt what this is.

now looking at that list, can anyone honestly say, that the people left on that list were the BEST frontmen?

no fuckin way!!

now u may not like the frontman but u cannot take away from their impact or what they did.

no one can rationalize to me why those people are still on that list over cobain and vedder
« Last Edit: January 02, 2005, 02:25:27 PM by D » Logged

Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2005, 02:40:06 PM »

I'd say to an extent it is who is your favourite, it's who you think is best who you enjoyed based on talent and generally who you think is best you will probably like most, now i don't like Cobain but one of the reasons is i don't think he is that good.  Now on your logic i should vote for him because 'impact' wise he probably had more than anyone on the list i constantly see people walking round with their Cobain T-Shirts his populairty is massive he has got a wide fan base he's been influential to many bands but i think he sucked he wasn't good and i am not voting for him on the basis of a lot of people liking someone i think is crap.  I can't believe you even brought up the record sales and how Bon Jovi outsold Faith No More & Alice In Chains, like i said i love Bon Jovi but the sales are based on their catchy rock songs and like it or not Jon Bon Jovi's looks.  They have the advantage that people like you and me who appreciate their music like them, girls like him like they like Robbie Williams and the tunes have the commercial edge that means they sell.  They are on the fringe of being good without being a pop band, Faith No More & Alice In Chains musically are far different and sales are irrelevant.  If it's all about sales then why don't we ditch the survivor and just give the award to the frontman who has sold the most records in the 90s.
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2005, 03:31:28 PM »

To many Faith No more are considered a one-hit wonder, to their fans they were a godsend

I think Faith No More were happy not to be a multi-hit wonder - their acclaim has been better since Angel Dust

I feel sorry for the people who don't understand what Patton is, but then again the world will never do that.

Mike Patton Vs. Jon Bon Jovi is a topic I never thought would come up because I believe they aren't in the same league or should be mentioned in the same sentence.  But I guess people tend to believe in their idols, mine happens to be Patton over all.

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
Jaded
Rocker

Going 'straight' will get you nowhere

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2005, 04:16:45 PM »

D speaks a lot of truth

It's evolution, baby!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2005, 06:05:48 PM »

D speaks a lot of truth

thank u

the record sells thing was a joke ive been wanting to put in for a long time, the 4-1.... 4 million to  that is

anyway

im not an eddie vedder fan, i like 4 or 5 songs but i can understand what he did, i can watch him and think "WOW"!

so im not biased when it comes to cobain or vedder cause im not a die hard fan of either but no one can tell me that sebastian bach should remain on that list over vedder and cobain.

Layne Staley im sorry i just never got into alice in chains, just never liked them same with faith no more, i just dont hear what everyone else hears.

i have very diverse musical tastes but i just dont like either of those bands

frontmen to me means recongizable, a signature look,sound just everything

someone that is universal and just holds an audience in their palm

but when in this position ill stick to my answer that wins for me the 80's,90's and 21st century
that is Prince

u people vote for Trent Reznor, what the fuck does he do on stage? hell id take marilyn manson, he is an honest to God frontman

the guy that when u walk into the building their is no doubt who "the man" is. none of those guys left on the list i think deserves such a prestigious honor

of course i didnt think cornell deserved the 21st century either so who knows? honestly

Anthony Kiedis shouldve won the 90's

he had the biggest selling albums, he actually closed the 90s bigger than he started the 90's which no other frontman can claim, he is a monster onstage with his dancing,headbanging and just his vibe and energy are second to none.

so objectively looking at it, anthony kiedis should win and he wasnt even on the fuckin list!

BP
Rocker

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2005, 06:15:18 PM »

I'd say to an extent it is who is your favourite, it's who you think is best who you enjoyed based on talent and generally who you think is best you will probably like most, now i don't like Cobain but one of the reasons is i don't think he is that good. Now on your logic i should vote for him because 'impact' wise he probably had more than anyone on the list i constantly see people walking round with their Cobain T-Shirts his populairty is massive he has got a wide fan base he's been influential to many bands but i think he sucked he wasn't good and i am not voting for him on the basis of a lot of people liking someone i think is crap. I can't believe you even brought up the record sales and how Bon Jovi outsold Faith No More & Alice In Chains, like i said i love Bon Jovi but the sales are based on their catchy rock songs and like it or not Jon Bon Jovi's looks. They have the advantage that people like you and me who appreciate their music like them, girls like him like they like Robbie Williams and the tunes have the commercial edge that means they sell. They are on the fringe of being good without being a pop band, Faith No More & Alice In Chains musically are far different and sales are irrelevant. If it's all about sales then why don't we ditch the survivor and just give the award to the frontman who has sold the most records in the 90s.

agreed... ? ?

plus AIC worked alot harder. ? Nirvana vs AIC = ?you have a more talanted band that wrote there songs absolutely not off of any Nirvana influence... ?that would be impossible by time.

Cantrell still makes IMO some of the best records out there that are not promoted. Maybe its why Jimi Hendrix's band has decided to play with him = because he is so original & evolving. = thats how Layne Staley growled through such songs = the songs actually meant something. ?Everyone one of them.

With that being said... ?I was a bon jovi fan before a AIC fan.... ? ?but reality bites.

-BP

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2005, 07:38:37 PM »

so if u were a bon jovi fan why did u stop liking them?

cause it was uncool right?

i had a friend like that in high school, one month we are trading bon jovi tapes and he loves them

next month grunge is huge and he is wearing flannel and worshipping vedder and cobain saying bon jovi sucks

that is the worse kind of music fan to me.

i love bon jovi i also love prince, i also love nirvana,rhcp,megadeth,dwight yoakam,2pac,motley crue

just cause it might not be the IN thing or cool doesnt mean i stop liking it

cause the music speaks to me now just as it did years ago when i first discovered it

and ill never stop liking a band just cause they arent considered cool anymore

i believe in loyatly to bands i love regardless of what others think

Captain Obvious
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2005, 11:21:41 PM »

D, you contradict yourself with every post and keep pushing yourself farther and farther into a corner.

unlike some of u on the board who just fall in line, bandwagon and try to like whats cool
Tell me, who resorted to mentioning the following?
-Band's record sales
-The fact that Creed were the "biggest band"
-Bon Jovi were big, survived and thrived in the ninetees.
-That Anthony Keidis had the "biggest selling albums"
-That "there is a reason cobain and vedder were shoved down everyone's throats...they were the best"

I think that would be you. So far, all of your arguments had a mention of some sort of commercial success. You may like poser bands but if you say you don't "try to like whats cool", maybe you should stop resorting to mentioning their success as a way of defending them. Moving on...

it doesnt make me right, doesnt make u right

and anyone who would try to argue that their taste in something as subjective as music is better than someone elses is pretty lame.

there is no right or wrong answer when it comes to music, cause music is all about the individual and how a certain song moves or affects them

Sounds good, which makes a whole lot of sense, considering you were the one who started talking smack, complaining that the list didn't agree with your point of view,  and calling those artists "shit". I think you're forgetting the fact that just a few posts before, you were the one who said:

and
no one can rationalize to me why those people are still on that list over cobain and vedder
and
the person who said bon jovi were poison with a better marketing team has forever lost any credibility he ever had music wise, cause anyone with a musical IQ of over 10 knows better than that shit.

It seemed to me you mentioned the word "subjectivity" earlier on...or by "subjectivity", did you mean "the right to call some bands 'shit' while bluntly repeating to people that noone can be better than Cobain?" Makes sense.

In conclusion, if you like Bon Jovi, great (just don't play it around me). If you come on here and start calling other band's shit, you're going to get called on it. If you call Alice In Chains and FNM shit while liking Bon Jovi, you are especially going to get called on it. Once you get called on it, don't start with the "everything is subjective, noone is wrong, noone is right" routine.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: