Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:48:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227816 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  UFC Ultimate Fighting Championship
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: UFC Ultimate Fighting Championship  (Read 280699 times)
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #660 on: July 12, 2009, 12:14:01 AM »

Dumb question but I'm kinda new to the UFC thing, only being a fan for a year or so now....

When they have weigh-ins and weigh in at a certain weight, they can put on as much weight as they want before the actual fight? I heard them saying one guy weighed in at say "245" but he probably had added about 20 lbs. before the fight.

Any rules for that? And they weigh in like two days before the fights right...?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #661 on: July 12, 2009, 12:32:56 AM »

Guys cut weight

so for instance, Brock weighs 285 but he will cut down to 265 for the weigh in on Friday, but by the time he fights Saturday Night, he is 285.

It is a trick wrestler's do to fight in a lower weight class so they will have a size/strength advantage.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #662 on: July 12, 2009, 12:36:04 AM »

Figured that. They cut down so much, but can they truly add that much muscle back in a day?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #663 on: July 12, 2009, 02:05:39 AM »

Nah,t hey just dehydrate themselves of so much water in their body and then once they put those fluids back in, the weight comes back.

it is all water weight they lose.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #664 on: July 12, 2009, 07:05:18 PM »

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #665 on: July 12, 2009, 07:06:49 PM »

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #666 on: July 13, 2009, 03:58:41 PM »

Sports Illustrated's Top 10 UFC fights:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/mma/07/07/top.10.ufc.fights/index.html?eref=sihp

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #667 on: July 14, 2009, 05:27:57 PM »

What happens to your face after a month of cocking off to Lesnar.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #668 on: August 01, 2009, 04:23:03 PM »

Current UFC Heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar will be one of the feature pieces of the ESPN
program "E:60" on Tuesday, August 4th at 7PM.

The following is ESPN's promotional write-up for the episode:

"When Brock Lesnar was introduced to E:60 viewers last October, he was a superstar from World Wrestling Entertainment trying to make it in the very real world of mixed martial arts. And the question was, could he take punches as well as he once faked them? Well, it?s still an open question?if only because Lesnar?s been dishing out all the punishment. He?s easily won every fight since then, and at UFC 100 in July, the heavyweight champion avenged his only loss with a swaggering performance that elicited both awe and scorn. To many sports fans, Lesnar is now the face of the UFC. To others, Lesnar is the UFC?s first villain.

Lesnar first rose to fame as ?The Next Big Thing,? in Vince McMahon?s WWE, making millions of dollars before walking away from it all at the height of his popularity to pursue his childhood passion of competing as a professional athlete. Lesnar first tried out for the NFL?s Minnesota Vikings, but didn?t make it out of training camp
. Then he found a home in the fastest growing spectator sport in the world -- MMA.

Lesnar sat down with E:60 correspondent Tom Farrey for an in-depth interview in which he discussed growing up on a dairy farm on the outskirts of Webster, S.D., his emergence as an NCAA champion wrestler, his struggles with the WWE, rumors of steroid use, and now, his career as a mixed martial arts fighter. With only five professional fights under his belt, Lesnar dominates his division and has arguably become the biggest pay-per-view draw in combat sports since boxing?s Oscar de la Hoya."

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #669 on: August 17, 2009, 01:33:15 PM »

MMA LEGENDS NOGUEIRA, COUTURE MEET IN UFC 102 MAIN EVENT

The list of men who have beaten Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira is short and very select.

"Nogueira's huge," Frank Mir said in December after joining that select group. "The people that have wins over Nogueira are pretty highly touted individuals."

Like Fedor Emelianenko (who did it twice), Dan Henderson and Josh Barnett.

Nogueira (31-5-1 with one no contest) is a mixed martial arts icon. The former Pride heavyweight champion, who avenged the losses to Henderson and Barnett, is a big man with sublime jiu-jitsu skills. He is also like a horror movie bogeyman -- almost impossible to put down. The battle-scarred Brazilian has made a career of taking a beating and rallying to win fights.

With a record of 18-3-1 with one no contest in Pride, Nogueira has fought a who's who. On Aug. 29 in Portland, Ore. Nogueira will tick off one more box on his stellar resume when he takes on former UFC champion Randy (The Natural) Couture in the main event of UFC 102.

At 33, Nogueira has 13 years on Couture. That might lead some to suggest the fight has passed its best by date.

Not middleweight Nate (The Great) Marquardt, however. He likes to revisit the classics.

"Sometimes I like watching those fights better . . . especially when they're fighting other old-school fighters that I grew up watching. It's fun for the old-school fans."

In addition to their undeniable skills and history, the two MMA legends are among the classiest acts in the sport.

Both Couture and Nogueira, however, are coming off defeats and looking to show they are still relevant in the sport. Couture (16-9) lost his heavyweight title to Brock Lesnar at UFC 91 last November in a fight that marked an end to his 15-month contract standoff with the UFC.

Nogueira is looking to show the loss to Mir was an aberration. Not one to make excuses, the six-foot-three 240-pounder praised Mir after the fight. But Nogueira was a shell of his normal self, hampered by a staph infection and a knee problem leading up to the contest.

Nogueira had never been stopped prior to UFC 92 and only been knocked down five times in his previous 37 bouts. Mir, known more as a ground fighter than a striker, floored him three times in less than seven minutes en route to a dominant second-round TKO.

"Anybody's standup looks good when you're standing in front of a zombie," Lesnar said later in dismissing Mir's standup game. "Nogueira was in no shape to fight that night -- and didn't fight.

"Anybody's standup's going to look good when you're fighting against a guy who looked like he was on his death bed to me."

Lesnar proved his point when he beat up Mir at UFC 100 in July.

Nogueira now admits he was perhaps only at 60 per cent going into the Mir fight.

"The worst thing was my knee, I'd torn my meniscus. I felt a little bit like off-balance," he said. "That was a bad feeling , when you feel like you're not 100 per cent,

Nogueira had knee surgery some three weeks after the loss.

"I didn't show like my best performance . . . That's why it made me mad. If I lose, but I lose fighting, I won't be upset at all but the way I fought, I was very upset."

So given his injuries, why fight?

"I trained a couple of months . . . it's hard to step back," he said.

"Me, it wasn't a good day that day. There's no excuses, it wasn't a good day for me but he was in the best prime shape. He caught me with a couple of left hands," he added. "It was his day, he deserved it."

It's that kind of gracious attitude that has won Nogueira so many fans.

"I try to be good with everyone, try to be friendly with fighters, respectful. And I think that's why they respect me," he said. "I try not to talk a lot before the fight, I try to show my skills when I fight."

Nogueira won many new converts after serving as a coach on Season 8 of "The Ultimate Fighter." The Brazilian clearly cared about his fighters, treating them like family.

"A lot of people, they come to me and say 'You're a very good coach. Thank you very much for the work you've done with those kids.' The American guys, I took care of them. . . . That's very natural for me. I grew up, my mother has a gym since I was like four years old, So I grew up watching what coaches do. We've got a team in Brazil too, I've been a jiu-jitsu coach since I was like 17 years old so to me it was very natural."

Now healthy again, Nogueira has trained in Miami and in San Diego at Brandon Vera's gym, bringing in wrestlers to help prepare for the veteran Couture.

It's a fight he has long been waiting for.

"When I was done with Pride and I had a first meeting with (UFC president) Dana White and he asked me 'Do you want to come to the UFC, you know you'd be welcome, let's talk about it,' it was like a friendly conversation before doing the contracts and everything. I was just thinking about fighting Randy Couture.

"Once I was in a tournament in 2001 in Japan, he was in the same tournament as me and I was watching all his fights, prepared to fight against him but it didn't happen. Always when I think about fighting him, it's very exciting for me, it makes me up for training a lot."

And Nogueira promises the matchup won't disappoint.

"I expect a good fight, I know he's a very good top-level wrestler, I'm a good jiu-jitsu guy. Both can strike, I think it's going to be a match people have been waiting to see for many years."

Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #670 on: October 25, 2009, 07:48:36 AM »

Thread resurrection!

What does everyone think of the Shogun-Machida fight? I think Machida clearly deserved the unanimous decision because he ran away from Shogun for 5 rounds and ate a lot of kicks ok

No really, I'm pretty pissed off about this...

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Burton
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #671 on: October 25, 2009, 10:43:24 AM »

Shogun won that fight and was clearly robbed. Even Machida knows he didn't deserve that win. Rematch
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #672 on: November 15, 2009, 12:53:04 PM »

UFC HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION LESNAR SERIOUSLY ILL IN HOSPITAL

MANCHESTER - UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar is seriously ill in hospital after collapsing in Canada, UFC president Dana White said Saturday.

"He's in rough shape, he's in really bad shape," White said Saturday after UFC 105.

"He is not well and he is not getting any better. . . . He's very, very sick and he's going to be out for a while. He's got a lot of problems."

Citing mononucleosis, the 32-year-old Lesnar was forced to postpone a title fight against Shane Carwin scheduled for UFC 106 on Nov. 21 in Las Vegas. The fight was pushed back to UFC 108 on Jan. 2, but that too has been postponed.

"He's got mono and he's got something else wrong with him. I know what's wrong with him, he just doesn't want me talking about it," White said.

"He doesn't have cancer or AIDS or anything like this, (but) he's got some problems, man."

White said Lesnar was currently in a hospital in North Dakota. The six-foot-three, 265-pounder owns property in Canada, White added.

"He dropped up there and had to go to hospital," White said.

He said Lesnar may have to go to the Mayo Clinic or another top hospital "to figure out what's wrong with this guy."

"He's not going to be getting well any time soon," White said.

The UFC has other concerns with fighters. White said the newly announced UFC 108 main event between Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Cain Velasquez is off because Nogueira has a serious staph infection.

"(It's) bad, to the point now that it's in his bloodstream," White said. "He's probably going to have to be hospitalized and intravenously given antibiotics."

Carwin is also out after undergoing knee surgery.

"It's crazy," White said of the injuries and illness.

cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #673 on: November 15, 2009, 04:24:33 PM »

Wonder what it could be with Brock?

Also heard that Shane McMahon met with Dana White his past weekend....could he be going against his padre?
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #674 on: February 15, 2010, 10:05:57 AM »

UFC PREPARES FOR VANCOUVER IN JUNE, CONTINUES TO EYE TORONTO

LAS VEGAS -- It looks like Chuck (The Iceman) Liddell is coming back to Canada to take on Tito (The Huntington Beach Bad Boy) Ortiz.

"I'm trying to do it in Vancouver," UFC president Dana White told reporters Thursday.

UFC 115 is scheduled for June 12 at GM Place, the UFC's first foray in Canada outside of Montreal.

White also confirmed Kimbo Slice will take on Matt Mitrione at UFC 113 in Montreal on May 8.

Liddell and Ortiz are currently serving as rival coaches on Season 11 of "The Ultimate Fighter" reality TV show which is in production in Las Vegas.

"It's heating up," White said of the atmosphere on the show. "The thing is, and it's never going to change no matter what happens, (is)Chuck hates Tito. He hates him, can't stand him, doesn't like him."

The two former light-heavyweight champions have met twice before with Liddell winning both times at UFC 47 and UFC 66.

Ortiz fanned the flames with a recent interview in which he accused Liddell of excessive drinking, necessitating an "intervention" by White.

"Chuck wasn't too happy about that," said White, who denied ever having an intervention

"Tito says some crazy stuff sometimes," he added.

Asked about Liddell's lifestyle, he said: "I think Chuck Liddell is a rich guy with a lot of time on his hands."

White, however, said Liddell gave up drinking in November to focus on his comeback.

Liddell was beaten in Montreal last time he fought, knocked out by Mauricio (Shogun) Rua at UFC 97 last April.

---

TORONTO-BOUND -- White continues to speak confidently about bringing the UFC to Toronto.

"Toronto's going to happen," he said. "We're closer and closer every day."

Ontario still has to sanction the sport of mixed martial arts.

White also made a point of talking up Canada as an MMA market.

"Canada is the craziest thing that I have ever seen and I never expected it," he said.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #675 on: February 15, 2010, 10:53:10 PM »

Cant wait for TUF 11  should be very entertaining with Tito and Chuck.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #676 on: February 22, 2010, 05:13:20 PM »

Join my fight camp

www.mmaplayground.com

Register and tell me your username and I'll send u the invite.

We compete against each other and other teams around the net!

Each UFC u pick winner, method of victory and round.

there is also a wagers part where u bet.

so join and see if we can win!!!!

Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #677 on: March 28, 2010, 07:12:43 AM »

anyone watch last night's UFC

Hardy took a beating, almost had his arm snapped twice and was still grinning at the end of it, quite proud of the local lad  Grin

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #678 on: March 28, 2010, 01:30:26 PM »

UFC was kind of boring last night

GSP has to go up to MW. His hump fests drive me nuts. Lets take a guy down and lay on him for 5 rds... I hate it

Carwin is the real deal.. damn that guy is scary and has a good shot against Brock.

w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #679 on: May 10, 2010, 07:24:13 PM »

I just saw UFC113 last night and noticed Rampage vs Evans is set for the next ppv. I thought Rampage was gone from ufc?
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: