Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:15:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  UFC Ultimate Fighting Championship
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: UFC Ultimate Fighting Championship  (Read 278412 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #420 on: September 28, 2007, 09:43:33 AM »

What Makes Brock so dangerous is his size,strength,athleticism,speed and the fact he would come in and be the most accomplished wrestler in the UFC.

Wrestlers do amazingly well in the UFC and if u look at the heavyweight division, Im not sure anyone would be able to defend Brock's shoots.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
slash666
On The Edge Of Seventeen
Legend

The REAL Champ Is Here!

« Reply #421 on: September 30, 2007, 07:44:34 PM »

read this and thought some of the figures where interesting:

The following are the official REPORTED pay outs to fighters who participated on the September 22nd UFC 76 "Knockout" event in Anaheim, California:

-Keith Jardine ($14,000) def. Chuck Liddell ($500,000)
-Forrest Griffin ($44,000) def. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua ($150,000)
-Jon Fitch ($44,000) def. Diego Sanchez ($22,000)
-"Lyoto" Ryoto Machida ($50,000) def. Kazuhiro Nakamura ($20,000)
-Tyson Griffin ($24,000) def. Thiago Tavares ($9,000)
-Rich Clementi ($24,000) def. Anthony Johnson ($5,000)
-Jeremy Stephens ($6,000) def. Diego Saraiva ($3,000)
-Christian Wellisch ($14,000) def. Scott Junk ($4,000)
-Matt Wiman ($16,000) def. Michihiro Omigawa ($5,000)

Total disclosed payroll: $954,000

The "fight of the night" bonus went to Tyson Griffin vs. Thiago Tavares. $40,000 for each of those fighters. And the "submission of the night" bonus was awarded to Forrest Griffin. $40,000 extra to him. If you add those figures in, the total publicly announced pay outs to fighters is $1,074,000

The Squared Circle

Join The Revolution!
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #422 on: September 30, 2007, 08:52:50 PM »

#Same as always, fights paid on name value and ability to put bums in seats rather than victories.  Jardine get's the figure he does because he isn't a big draw compared to Chuck, still though i wouldn't expect it to be that low, i'm guessing here that he's still working off his contract he received after TUF2.  I'm guessing even though he isn't a big draw, after wins over Chuck and Forrest he's got to get paid more....

UFC likes to boast about how it's kicking boxing's ass then you see the pay and they get way less than boxers do, even the top guys, the dudes are getting screwed!
slash666
On The Edge Of Seventeen
Legend

The REAL Champ Is Here!

« Reply #423 on: October 04, 2007, 04:15:48 PM »

Another mixed martial artist has tested positive for an anabolic steroid. Anthony Torres, who was stopped in the first round of his fight with Jess Liaudin at UFC 75 in London on Sept. 8, tested positive for Boldenone, UFC vice president Marc Ratner said. Because there is no entity which regulates MMA in the United Kingdom, the UFC administered drug tests at random before and after the fights that night. Torres was found to have Boldenone in his system. He will not be able to be punished by a commission since none has jurisdiction, but Ratner said the UFC plans to advise athletic commissions of the positive test. The UFC released Torres from his contract for poor performance after the loss to Liaudin, Ratner said

For the first time, two Ultimate Fighter? winners will face off. Ultimate Fighter season 2 winner Rashad Evans a 15-0-1 powerhouse wrestler, will take on Ultimate Fighter season 3 winner Michael Bisping, a dangerous striker with a current record of 15-0. Bisping and Evans - two undefeated light heavyweights - look to break out of the pack and prove they are among the best in the division. UFC 78 Validation will also feature 8 other explosive fights to be announced soon.

There has been a lot of talk that American Top Team welterweight Thiago Alves will be added to UFC 78 on November 17th in Newark, New Jersey. The fight could be his first ever on a televised main card. UFCJunkie.com learned of the booking close to the fighter, however, could not confirm it when their camp was reached for comment. No information has been made available as to who Alves will face.

The California State Athletic Commission have announced that the following fighters tested negative for anabolic agents, masking agents, diuretics and drugs of abuse when tested at UFC 76 on September 22nd in Anaheim, California: Lightweights: Matt Wiman, Michihiro Omigawa, Jeremy Stephens, and Diego Saraiva. Heavyweights: Christian Wellisch and Scott Junk

Vitor Belfort is weighing offers from multiple organizations and looking at Rampage as a possible future opponent, this according to tatame.com.

The Squared Circle

Join The Revolution!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #424 on: October 05, 2007, 11:07:06 AM »

Wonder what Tito is gonna do now that Rashad is fighting Bisping?

They need to get Tito is some high profile fights with Shogun  or Silva or Henderson........ Somebody.

Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #425 on: October 05, 2007, 11:18:00 AM »

For the first time, two Ultimate Fighter? winners will face off. Ultimate Fighter season 2 winner Rashad Evans a 15-0-1 powerhouse wrestler, will take on Ultimate Fighter season 3 winner Michael Bisping, a dangerous striker with a current record of 15-0. Bisping and Evans - two undefeated light heavyweights - look to break out of the pack and prove they are among the best in the division. UFC 78 Validation will also feature 8 other explosive fights to be announced soon.

Matt Hamill's reaction to news of the confirmed UFC 78 match up between Micheal Bisping and Rashad Evans provided courtesy of matthamill.com:

Wow! Let me just say... I am in shock. First, I get hosed by two judges in London and now the much anticipated rematch has evaporated in front of my eyes. I'm starting to feel like the deck is stacked against me. Duff, my trainer/manager told me he thought something like this would happen when he read Bisping's statement on the internet. He said it looked like Bisping was looking for a way out of the rematch. I posted a statement about my knee surgery on 9/25 so everyone would know it was minor, and I would be ready by mid December. I didn't think six weeks was that long of a wait, apparently, Bisping and the UFC did. I am so hungry to fight. I had surgery to add wrestling back to my arsenal. I fought Bisping's fight at UFC 75 and I was looking forward to fighting my fight in the rematch. I feel honored that so many people have told me I won the fight in London. It makes the decision easier for me to accept. I want to fight... I want to fight ASAP! Hopefully the UFC will schedule a fight for me soon. I would like to fight in December or January and hopefully Bisping after that... If Bisping has the guts to do it again.

'Tis bullshit, 2 rematches we were meant to get and they ain't happening....still despite a lot of the internet hostility i like the card.

Main Card Bouts:
-Rashad Evans vs. Michael Bisping
-Karo Parisyan vs. Hector Lombard
-Spencer Fisher vs. Frankie Edgar
-Houston Alexander vs. Thiago Silva
-David Terrell vs. Ed Herman

Preliminary Bouts:
-Thiago Alves vs. Ryo Chonan
-Akihiro Gono vs. Tamdan McCrory
-Joe Lauzon vs. Jason Reinhardt

Want to see Bisping vs Evans should be a quality fight still, Parisyan is always a pleasure to watch, class Judo guy and his opponent is a Judo dude to, Fisher and Edger are 2 damn entertaining fighters, Alexander is on a roll and in his 2 fights he's been brutal and quick and has raised his profile in no time at all, a few more wins like that and i could see a title shot soon, whole Silva is from the great Chute Boxe camp and has never lost.  Terrell aka Mr. Injury Prone, is a good fighter who hardly ever fights, probably best remembered for his shock win over Lindland.  As for the Prelims, i'm looking forward to seeing the debuts of Chonan and Gono and Lauzon was one of my favourite fighters on the last season of the Ultimate Fighter.  See i like a card like this, people seem obsessed with having MASSIVE names and title fights on every show, a card like this has a lot of talent of promise of good match ups and it also gives a lot of guys a chance to shine, and if every card was an attempt to be bigger than the next things would burn out quickly, it's good to have a balance, having bigger events then smaller, focus on several events a year for the real big match-ups.  Look at the December 29th Show.  Rumoured for that you have Wanderlai vs Forrest, Chuck vs Shogun, Serra vs Hughes  Smiley

Vitor Belfort is weighing offers from multiple organizations
He needs to improve a hell of a lot, struggling against sub-par fighters in Cage Rage he's not the superb guy he was years ago, i think UFC would only sign him based on name value.

Wonder what Tito is gonna do now that Rashad is fighting Bisping?

They need to get Tito is some high profile fights with Shogun? or Silva or Henderson........ Somebody.
Well considering how stacked 205 is and how 185 has nowhere near the same depth i'd like to see Henderson down at 185, the dude has been that weight most of his career and makes it no problem and would add a lot to it.

I'd love to see Tito vs Shogun, i also think an interesting fight would be Jardine vs Tito and considering how his stock has risen Forrest vs Tito II, the first fight was damn entertaining!
slash666
On The Edge Of Seventeen
Legend

The REAL Champ Is Here!

« Reply #426 on: October 06, 2007, 04:38:08 PM »

The following is a post from Tito Ortiz over on The Underground Forum: Getting in shape. I'm doing rehab for my injurys. I'm sick of fight 75%. I'm trying to pay my bills injured and making guys like evans and forrest look good. I can't do it anymore. I'm going to take some time to take care of myself. Everone wants the old Tito back and I'm going to give it to them.

The following is an excerpt from an article on UFCDaily.com: Cro Cop hasn?t been taking the company?s phone calls of late and his future is very much in doubt. With such a high downside guarantee to go with his lackluster performance, he has become very expendable.

The Squared Circle

Join The Revolution!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #427 on: October 06, 2007, 10:34:17 PM »

I don't think we need an Evans vs Tito 2 because tito dominated pretty much the whole fight and only lost due to the bullshit fence grab in which he got taken down anyway.

Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #428 on: October 11, 2007, 04:31:34 PM »

MMA Icon Walks Away From Promotion In Stunning Move

By Brian Knapp

At the height of its power and popularity, the Ultimate Fighting Championship today lost the man many recognize as the face of mixed martial arts. UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture announced his resignation from the Las Vegas-based promotion, leaving two contracted fights, his job as an on-air analyst and his heavyweight crown on the table.

In South Africa shooting scenes for his lead role in the upcoming feature film ?The Scorpion King ? Rise of the Akkadian,? Couture made the announcement official in a letter to UFC president Dana White. The UFC?s inability to land PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko played a prominent role in the decision to walk away, according to Couture.

?I appreciate this opportunity the sport of MMA and the UFC has given me,? the UFC Hall-of-Famer said. ?However, I?m tired of swimming upstream at this stage with the management of the UFC. It only makes sense at this point in my career to fight Fedor Emelianenko, and since he?s now signed with another organization, I feel like it?s time to resign and focus on my other endeavors.?

His abrupt departure deals a significant blow to the world?s most visible MMA organization. Couture was not only a beloved competitor ? White once called him ?the greatest fighter in UFC history? ? but also a revered spokesman for a company that had long struggled to gain mainstream acceptance.

?Randy?s contract was on a fight-by-fight basis, and that?s the way he said he was always going to take it ? fight by fight,? said Matt Walker, Couture?s agent at The Gersh Agency. ?His acting career is accelerating at an astronomical rate, and without the support he felt some of his peers were receiving in the fight business, this was the logical choice.?

A three-time All-American wrestler at Oklahoma State University, Couture won four national championships in Greco-Roman wrestling and made four attempts at qualifying for the Olympics. He made his MMA debut at UFC 13 on May 13, 1997, where, at age 33, he won a heavyweight tournament, defeating Tony Halme and Steven Graham on the same night. Just seven months later, he toppled famed kickboxer Maurice Smith in Yokohama, Japan to win the UFC heavyweight crown for the first time.

Over the course of the next decade, Couture emerged as one of the most decorated mixed martial artists in history. The UFC?s only six-time champion, he captured the heavyweight belt three times, the light heavyweight title twice and an interim light heavyweight title, as well. Couture remains the only man to win UFC championships in two weight classes.

His run through the promotion included a memorable trilogy with light heavyweight rival Chuck Liddell, the only opponent to beat Couture twice. Following his third bout with Liddell in February 2006, Couture announced his first retirement.

As 2007 dawned, his desire to compete returned, and a four-fight contract with the UFC ? which included the opportunity to fight Tim Sylvia for the heavyweight strap at UFC 68 in March ? was presented to Couture. He accepted, and the wheels for an historic comeback were set in motion.

Couture floored Sylvia with an overhand right seconds into the bout and punished the 6-foot-8 giant over five rounds. Playing to chants of ?Randy!? he regained the heavyweight title for an unprecedented third time in front of 19,049 fans at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio. Five months later, at the age of 44, he defeated rising contender Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC 74, stopping the young Brazilian by third-round TKO despite suffering a broken left arm. It would be his final appearance in the Octagon.

Couture (16-8) leaves behind an unrivaled legacy in the sport. Fifteen of his 24 career bouts were title fights, and he bested six former UFC champions ? Liddell, Vitor Belfort, Tito Ortiz and Sylvia among them. Always willing to meet a challenge, Couture consistently tested himself against the world?s premier fighters. The 19 men he fought (he squared off with Pedro Rizzo twice and Liddell and Belfort three times each) hold 357 victories between them.

That's a damn shame, i wanted to see him fight some more, still, good to go out on top....
slash666
On The Edge Of Seventeen
Legend

The REAL Champ Is Here!

« Reply #429 on: October 12, 2007, 01:43:05 PM »

got this from a friend:

Although we are a very LONG way from official confirmation I have heard from a very reliable source that the next UFC event in the UK has been finalised for January 19th 2008 in Newcastle. As I reported in the UFC 75 thread I was able to gain backstage passes to the event at the 02 arena due to knowing one of the guys who works on the TV side of things for UFC. He has text me today and said that he has once again been approached to work the event (he has worked every UK event so far) and confirmed that it will be on the 19th Jan in Newcastle.

The only fight I have heard rumoured so far is:

Marcus Davis v Jess Liaudin

The Squared Circle

Join The Revolution!
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #430 on: November 06, 2007, 01:10:42 PM »

Brock Lesnar's first opponent..........Frank Mir!

That's a Dream match for me, can't wait!  Always been a big Mir fan even though he's now a shell of his former self, he was impressive in his last fight although his opponent was totally useless, should be interesting though, online poll on mmanews.com has both with 700+ votes with Mir about 10 ahead, nothing in it, though to be honest that's not surprising, Brock has only had ONE MMA fight, his wrestling background is great but people have to remember it's all about being a good well rounded fighter and the guy he fought was a total chump picked at the last minute.
Kasanova King
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #431 on: November 14, 2007, 01:24:12 AM »

Brock Lesnar's first opponent..........Frank Mir!

That's a Dream match for me, can't wait!? Always been a big Mir fan even though he's now a shell of his former self, he was impressive in his last fight although his opponent was totally useless, should be interesting though, online poll on mmanews.com has both with 700+ votes with Mir about 10 ahead, nothing in it, though to be honest that's not surprising, Brock has only had ONE MMA fight, his wrestling background is great but people have to remember it's all about being a good well rounded fighter and the guy he fought was a total chump picked at the last minute.

Brock completely dominated that fight...as big as he is, along with his speed, agility and skills, he looks to be unstoppable.

-KK
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #432 on: November 16, 2007, 10:21:40 AM »

Brock completely dominated that fight...as big as he is, along with his speed, agility and skills, he looks to be unstoppable.
He dominated a fight against a last minute replacement who has lost 4 of his last 5 fights, being big is cool, but he's a heavyweight, being big comes with being part of the division.  His skills?  He's a hell of an amatuer wrestler, this is mixed martial arts, he's had one fight, he's hardly coming in as the most well rounded of fights considering the amount of time he's been training.  Unstoppable?  That's jumping the gun a bit, i really hope he is, i'd like to see him do well, but all this raving people are doing over him seems just a tad premature....
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #433 on: November 23, 2007, 08:19:57 AM »

Rashad vs Bisping was as horrible as I thought.

I thought Bisping was gonna be an awesome fighter, but he sure hasnt done well his last two..............

Henderson is definitely the guy to beat Anderson Silva.

I've always stated its gonna take an amazing wrestler to neutralize Silva and Henderson is one of if not the best in MMA right now, So its gonna be interesting.

Brock Lesnar may be in trouble if the right Frank Mir shows up. I can see Brock getting caught in a submission. Mir is still very dangerous.

Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #434 on: December 28, 2007, 03:54:31 PM »

Here we go.....UFC 79 is upon us and it has been hyped as the biggest event of the year so it's prediction time, this thread needs more fans in it to dammit!  It's like a 2-way convo between me and D at the mo...

UFC 79:

Chuck Liddell vs Wanderlai Silva: Chuck via Split Decision

Georges St. Pierre vs Matt HughesGSP via TKO 2nd Round

Lyoto Machida vs Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou: Machida via Unanimous Decision

Rich Clementi vs Melvin Guillard: Guillard via TKO 1st Round

Eddie Sanchez vs Soa Palalei: Palalei via TKO 1st Round

Some nice looking Prelims to with Dean Lister & Manny Gamburyan in action!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #435 on: December 28, 2007, 04:00:37 PM »

Im gonna go some opposite directions

Chuck vs Silva    Chuck 2nd round KO

Matt Hughes vs GSP  Matt Hughes split decision *I hate fuckin Matt Hughes with a passion, but St Pierre only trained for a month.*

I got Machida
Guillard

yeah, hopefully we will get to see Lister and manny...... Probably won't be on the main card though.......

*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #436 on: December 28, 2007, 04:08:52 PM »

UFC 79:

Chuck Liddell vs Wanderlai Silva: Silva via a TKo in 1st round

Georges St. Pierre vs Matt Hughes:  GSP via Split Decision

Lyoto Machida vs Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou: Machida via Unanimous Decision

Rich Clementi vs Melvin Guillard: Guillard via TKO 1st Round

Eddie Sanchez vs Soa Palalei: Palalei via TKO 2nd Round

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #437 on: December 28, 2007, 04:53:50 PM »

Well it's safe to say, one thing we all and the world agree on, is, any fight with Machida in, Machida via Unanimous Decision....The dude is so friggin' dull, I remember reading Forrest Griffin was offered a fight with him but thought the fight would suck cos he's so defensive and actually asked for Shogun instead...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #438 on: January 06, 2008, 08:41:14 PM »

Chuck looked very impressive in his win over Silva.

It was amazing to me that Silva is known for his conditioning, Chuck isnt BUT YET it was Wanderlei who looked gassed and not Chuck.

Chuck took him down with amazing ease.

I cannot wait to see Brock Lesnar fight. Its gonna be exciting as hell.

Once again Fedor proved he is the most overrated fighter in the world.

Did anyone see him fight on NYE again Hung Man Choy or whatever his fuckin name is.

He hit Fedor bout 5 times and destroyed Fedor's face. The man cannot take a punch, he cuts about as easy as anyone i've ever seen.

He also got taken down very easily.

Randy will take him down at will and pound his face into mush.

Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #439 on: January 20, 2008, 12:06:42 PM »

UFC 80 was a very good event, all the fights were entertaining, fight of the night for me was Kelly vs Taylor, both guys did Britain proud.  Also GREAT to see Werdum win, I finally found a UK website for UFC Betting so I put ?10 on him, cha-ching, chalk one up for PRIDE Tongue.  No shocks in the Main Event and as for Grove, now he's finally facing competent fighters his true quality or lack of it is coming through, shame, I like him but he was fed some easy fights after his win on the show.  Speaking of easy fights, Marcus Davis has been extremely impressive, but you only have to look at the calber of fighters he's beaten to realise that he isn't a force in the division til he beats someone notable.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 37 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: