Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:51:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227808 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  UFC Ultimate Fighting Championship
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: UFC Ultimate Fighting Championship  (Read 280205 times)
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #460 on: February 04, 2008, 06:43:56 PM »

I cant believe Tyson Griffin was awarded all three rounds. Hell, I wouldn't have complained had he lost. I thought it was a closer fight than that.
"Octagon Rules" talk about effective striking though don't they?  The other guy threw more shot but it was Griffin's that were connecting, still, good as the dude is, he's too small to ever be champion.

I hope all the people who've arrived in this thread because of Lesnar stick around with the UFC....

...we could do with more activity here.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #461 on: February 04, 2008, 07:23:23 PM »

I'm a fan, I admit Lesnar brought me in but I've always liked UFC, just never got into it. I love how one minute one guy could be beating the shit out of a guy and ten seconds later, match over because the other guy got him to tap.

Greatttt shit.
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #462 on: February 04, 2008, 10:00:27 PM »

I don't watch UFC anymore....I was big back in the original days with Royce, Shamrock and Severn, but I sort of lost interest after the first Ultimate Ultimate.  I did catch the Brock fight though just to see him get beat.  Brock Lesnar is one of the reasons I quit watching pro-wrestling in the first place....and to see him fail at this makes me wonderfully happy.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #463 on: February 05, 2008, 02:33:06 AM »

I got to thinking, I wonder why Brock didn't use elbows instead of those short punches?

Had he used elbows, Mir may be in a coma right now.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #464 on: February 05, 2008, 03:06:51 AM »

Cause then Mir would be in a coma , right now  ok

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #465 on: February 05, 2008, 11:42:03 AM »

He did get one elbow in, I'm sure the reason he couldn't get anymore though was because he TAPPED OUT.  rofl

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #466 on: February 05, 2008, 03:07:21 PM »

He did get one elbow in, I'm sure the reason he couldn't get anymore though was because he TAPPED OUT.  rofl

Dude, U obviously didnt watch the fight or u don't know much about MMA.

Lesnar was in complete control and he got caught like a million other fighters get caught.

I remember the first time Tito Ortiz fought Guy Mezger. Tito dominated Mezger the entire fight but fucked up and got caught in a guillotine.

I guess Tito sucks right? he went on to destroy Mezger in a rematch and is still the longest reigning champ ever.

Brock will learn so much from that mistake. U have to remember, Lesnar was fighting for only the 2nd time and got put against a former World Champion and possibly the greatest Jiu Jitsu practicioner in the game.

Brock didnt fight 10 times in other organizations or get easy fights starting out.  So Lesnar will come back dominant. To say he lost and is a joke is retarded. The man showed serious skills.

Think George St Pierre.

I remember when he lost to Matt Hughes via an armbar I think, Maybe RNC in his first title shot cause he was green.

Now the dude is one of the most dominant fighters in MMA

Watch and see.

Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #467 on: February 20, 2008, 07:34:56 PM »

Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

Early PPV buyrate estimates for UFC 81 (Brock Lesnar's debut) are around 600,000 domestic buys. If that figure is accurate, UFC 81 will be the 5th most ordered PPV event in company history. It is very possible that number could sell more domestically than the upcoming Wrestlemania XXIV show.

An interesting fact is that Brock Lesnar's UFC debut drew more buys than Wrestlemania 19, when Brock Lesnar wrestled against Kurt Angle in the main event. That show did a final number of 560,000 buys worldwide.

As far how much of an impact Lesnar had on the event's huge PPV success, industry sources estimate that the event would have drawn approximately 325,000 buys if Lesnar was not featured and Tim Sylvia vs. Antonio Rodrigo was the main attraction.

Lesnar received a lot of heat for the money he earned in his first UFC contest ($250,000). Now that the numbers are in, it's clear that he could have earned 10 times that amount and UFC would have still made a killing off his debut.

It's just like Frank Mir says.  Its accepted in the fight game that you get paid based on ONE THING, how many bums you can put in seats.  It's reasons like that which explain why a Tank Abbott will always earn more than a Matt Lindland.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #468 on: February 22, 2008, 03:15:05 AM »

Its why Forrest Griffin got the TUF show over Keith Jardine and why Chuck is fighting Shogun

UFC isnt a true sport cause wins and losses dont even fucking matter.

Jardine beat both Griffin and Chuck but yet he is still underneath these guys.

Jardine should've got the title shot over Forrest.

He did knock Forrest out in the first round I think it was.

Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #469 on: February 22, 2008, 11:06:13 AM »

'Tis also why Jon Fitch is still waiting....

...Although if you keep winning then eventually they have to give you a shot, Jardine's slip against Houston is what cost him, but as he said, if Griffin wins, he should get first shot.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #470 on: March 02, 2008, 04:32:01 AM »

Brock Lesnar vs Mark Coleman in August! ok ok

WOW!

*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #471 on: March 02, 2008, 08:25:28 PM »

going to be an interesting fight.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #472 on: March 03, 2008, 11:52:07 AM »

Ideal match-up for him.  Someone with his same style, yet 15 years older and past his prime and not as strong, yet he is/was such a big name the fight holds the marquee value that the rumoured McCully vs Lesnar fight would not.

UFC 82 was a sweet event.  Anderson Silva....who's next?  The division is so bare, based on name value, wins and past achievements I only see 3 people being considered; Okami, Bisping, Almeida.  In all honesty none of them have a chance.  The people with the best chance are those outside the promotion like Filho and Lindland.

What surprised me most last night was Herring & Kongo.  That for me was fight of the night and those guys have really stepped it up.  Kongo looks immensely strong and if he continues with the right training he can be a massive force.  His ground game is still horrid but his sheer strength helps him and he is clearly working on it, the dude has made a marked improvement, no doubt.
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #473 on: March 08, 2008, 03:44:25 PM »

So, Fedor's a free agent again! I really hope he'll sign a contract with the UFC, would be interesting to see him over there...

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #474 on: March 08, 2008, 08:41:27 PM »

So, Fedor's a free agent again! I really hope he'll sign a contract with the UFC, would be interesting to see him over there...
Fedor vs Couture with the winner vs Big Nog, it needs to happen, and hell it would do wonders for the division and the belt.
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #475 on: April 07, 2008, 08:20:03 AM »

Anyone else see UFN13.  What a stacked card!  I loved every fight (The prelims are well worth getting, if only to see Marcus Aureillo's 15 second armbar).  I was gutted to see Karo lose and do think it was stopped to soon although I have no complaints about the Alexander stoppage, his legs had straightened out and once they do, even if it's only for a second you KNOW they are out of it.  Nate Diaz's comeback was a site to see, wonderful triangle choke.  Joe Lauzon looked damn good in defeat and showed that never say die attitude, if Sherk wins it would be good to see him and Florian again.

The New Season of TUF got off to a damn good start.  I'm a fan of fighting more than the antics on the show so the opening episode was great, that Mike Dolce looks like a monster, I've seen him in the IFL a few times before, his record there though was not so good.

I know it's still a few weeks off but I'm going to make my UFC 83 predictions.  I think the favourites GSP, Bisping and Danzig will win, and underdogs Lutter and Starnes will beat Franklin and Quarry.
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #476 on: April 21, 2008, 06:57:10 PM »

UFC 83 was a very good event.  Danzig and Bocek had an all out war and after taking so much punishment and keeping on coming back Bocek deserves another fight with the company for sure.  Bisping's debut at Middleweight was fairly successful but we all know McCarthy was Cannon Fodder, the expressions he made at Bisping to get him riled up were classic, and no matter how many fights Bisping has he always slips up at some point, that armbar looked damn close, his striking though was extremely good and overall it was a solid performance, it'll be interesting to see how he does against some top cailber opponents though.  Starnes vs Quarry was dull until the last 20 seconds, Quarry mocking Starnes was quite hilarious:

(For those that don't know what happened basically Starnes spent the whole fight running away from Quarry and did not engage at all making it near impossible for Quarry to fight him, one judge scored the fight 30-24 he was so bad, an unheard of score, anyway to explain the .gif at the end out of frustration Quarry is doing his running man impression mocking Starnes and deservedly so.)

why he was so defensive God knows, rightfully so he has been cut from his contract. Quarry's post fight Rocky speech was funny to.  Lutter was a dissapointment again, 1st round he had Franklin and came so close to beating him, 2nd round he came out completely gassed, I mean as a big Frank Mir fan I'm used to seeing people gas but this was ten times worse, he nearly collapsed through sheer exhaustion.  The Main Event reaffirmed what everyone already thought, GSP is better than Serra, shame really cos unlike everyone I know I can't stand GSP, still I can't deny he is the best Welterweight in the World.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #477 on: April 22, 2008, 01:16:57 AM »

It was a great night for mixed martial arts on Saturday in Montreal, as an enthusiastic sellout crowd of 21,390 packed the Bell Centre to watch hometown hero Georges St. Pierre reclaim the UFC welterweight title from Matt Serra at UFC 83.

It wasn't such a good night, though, for Kalib Starnes, who spent most of the evening running from Nate Quarry in their middleweight bout. A native of Surrey, B.C., Starnes was booed heavily by the Canadian crowd that had been boisterous in its support of all the other Canadians on the card.

After losing a unanimous decision on scores of 30-26, 30-27, and an unheard-of 30-24, Starnes received even worse news: He was cut from his contract by UFC president Dana White.

"He just doesn?t belong in the UFC and after his performance the other night, he should consider a new line of work," White said Monday.

Quarry pressed the action the entire fight as Starnes simply circled and refused to engage. Late in the third round, Quarry pretended to run like he was a track star in trying to find a way to get Starnes to fight.

After the bout, members of Quarry's corner were complaining to Starnes about his lack of activity. Starnes shouted an expletive at one member of Quarry's team, called him a derogatory term for homosexuals and challenged him to a fight.

Starnes couldn't be reached for comment about his performance, but Quarry expressed disappointment with Starnes' lack of effort.

A one-time contestant on The Ultimate Fighter, Starnes was 8-2 going into the bout and had had quality victories over Chris Leben and Jason MacDonald.

"I think if you're fighting in the UFC, you've got to come to fight," Quarry told UFC.com in a post-fight interview. "I would much rather get knocked out than lose a decision running backwards. No disrespect to Kalib. I know the stress really gets to you. A lot of guys, they focus on not wanting to lose instead of wanting to win. I didn't mean to disrespect him in any way. I just got frustrated because you can't fight when somebody's moving backward that fast."

Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #478 on: April 22, 2008, 11:25:28 AM »

First Shogun got injured so they brought in Rashad for Chuck, now Chuck's got injured so there goes the UFC 85 Main Event.

So do they replace him or just move a prelim up to main card status?

Who could jump in at the last minute who'd be credible?

Looking at the Light Heavyweight Division.  Taking into account the guys who have fights signed and are just coming off fights, all I can think of, solely because they'd be cleared to fight would be James Irvin or Matt Hamill, if they did either of those they'd still have to demote it from Main Event status.

This is the card as it stands.  To be honest I wouldn't mind them promoting the Paul Taylor match to the Main Card, since there the 4 fights signed already for the main card I really like the look of, I think the unfortunate thing is they don't really have that "Big" name draw.

Main Card
Heavyweight bout:  Fabricio Werdum vs.  Brandon Vera
Middleweight bout:  Martin Kampmann vs.  Jorge Rivera
Welterweight bout:  Mike Swick vs.  Marcus Davis
Middleweight bout:  Nathan Marquardt vs.  Thales Leites

Preliminary Card
Lightweight bout:  Matt Wiman vs.  Thiago Tavares
Light Heavyweight bout:  Jason Lambert vs.  Luis Cane
Welterweight bout:  Roan Carneiro vs. TBD
Welterweight bout:  Jess Liaudin vs.  Paul Taylor
slash666
On The Edge Of Seventeen