Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:37:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  UFC Ultimate Fighting Championship
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: UFC Ultimate Fighting Championship  (Read 278395 times)
slash666
On The Edge Of Seventeen
Legend

The REAL Champ Is Here!

« Reply #540 on: September 03, 2008, 04:00:22 PM »

I wouldn't count Lesnar out, I know hes still a rookie and Couture has a habit of suprising people but I just think Lesnar's brute strength and takedowns will be too much for Randy.

Anyway onto UFC 88, put on a ?5 syndicate bet at Pagebet on my way to college:
Evans
Parisyan
Franklin
Henderson

Not sure how much I get back but the prices were decent, Liddell is 4/11 were as Evans is 2/1 haha.

the betting for UFC 89 is good though, Bisping is way favourite where as Leben is quite a good price for a UFC event

The Squared Circle

Join The Revolution!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #541 on: September 03, 2008, 09:56:44 PM »

Dude, I will Delete my Account from this forum if Rashad Evans DOESN't beat Chuck Liddell. There is absolutely no chance in hell that won't happen. hihi
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 12:37:26 AM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
slash666
On The Edge Of Seventeen
Legend

The REAL Champ Is Here!

« Reply #542 on: September 04, 2008, 03:11:00 PM »

Oh I know that man, I think Liddell will win and also want him to win cause I don't like Evans. But for the sake of my bet I put my money on him cause I wouldn't get barely anything back off backing Liddell

The Squared Circle

Join The Revolution!
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #543 on: September 04, 2008, 09:17:01 PM »

Dude, I will Delete my Account from this forum if Rashad Evans beats Chuck Liddell. There is absolutely no chance in hell that will happen.

remember that!

hihi
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #544 on: September 05, 2008, 04:19:12 PM »

Some real shit injury news.  Parisyan's fight is off, he has injured his back, and obviously it's too late to find a replacement.

Thiago Silva is injured to so his fight at UFC 89 with Machida is also off.

Sad
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #545 on: September 07, 2008, 09:26:54 AM »

Dude, I will Delete my Account from this forum if Rashad Evans beats Chuck Liddell. There is absolutely no chance in hell that will happen.

remember that!

hihi

I guess it's time for D to stick by his word and start deleting that account, Chuck got KTFO by Evans ok

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
slash666
On The Edge Of Seventeen
Legend

The REAL Champ Is Here!

« Reply #546 on: September 07, 2008, 10:14:08 AM »

Rashad Evans makes D delete his account & wins me ?30, I think I'm starting to like him  Tongue

The Squared Circle

Join The Revolution!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #547 on: September 07, 2008, 01:44:35 PM »

HAHAHA I need to quit gambling

I already made a bet that if CD didnt come out in 2006 maybe? That Id shave my head and now I have I would have to delete my account.

U guys aren't gonna hold me to that right?

IT was just hyperbole an exaggeration!

I think this proves Tito Ortiz isn't washed up as he handled Evans rather easily.

Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #548 on: September 07, 2008, 02:47:42 PM »

Dude, I will Delete my Account from this forum if Rashad Evans DOESN't beat Chuck Liddell. There is absolutely no chance in hell that won't happen. hihi

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Brilliant!

I already made a bet that if CD didnt come out in 2006 maybe? That Id shave my head and now I have I would have to delete my account.

I say we hold him to it. Or we wanna see a picture of a shaved head.  ok

D we are used of your shit by now.... Its just like i said before.... You know nothing ok

I'm Gonna Buy A Gun And Start A War
If You Can Tell Me Something Worth Fighting For
[/color]

Get on your Dancing Shoes
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #549 on: September 07, 2008, 06:12:33 PM »

HAHAHA I need to quit gambling

IT was just hyperbole an exaggeration!

I think this proves Tito Ortiz isn't washed up as he handled Evans rather easily.

So I guess you will be deleting your account now, you made the bet.  A man is only as good as his word Donnie.  I'm glad my tag team partner alerted me to this post.  You talking up a storm in another thread.  You are making deals with me you have no intention of honoring when you loose. You had no intention of honoring our bet, when this game started and you seen my strong Team that I had, you would of never honored out bet just like the rest of the bets you make. 

I like how you modified your post adding in "Doesn't" but I seen 3 people quoting the original statement. I am SUUUUURE you will reassure me now that you will honor your bet with me as my Captain is now long gone.  I think you need to honor your bets and delete this account and create D 2.0.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #550 on: September 07, 2008, 06:29:11 PM »

Yeah come on Donnie, press the delete button then just sign up again, that's allowed.

I thought it was a solid card.  Good opener and but why the fans decided to boo I don't know, Brown only won the 2nd Round....get over it!

Lovely knockout from Nate good to see him winning again, he's a quality fighter and I still rate him as one of the best in the division so I was happy with this result.

Henderson vs Palhares I found really intriguing, Palhares did a good job considering the reach advantage, Henderson's wrestling credentials, the guy is going to do well in the division no doubt, also good to see Henderson back on the winning track.

Franklin methodical destruction of Hammil was a pleasure to watch, he picked apart Matt bit by bit, Franklin has always been a very smart fighter, Hammil came out of it looking alright to.

What a shock in the Main Event! Such a sweet knockout and it will be interesting to see where Chuck goes from here, could retirement be on the cards?  I mean title wise this loss has taken him tumbling down the ladder, at 38 does he want to make the really long climb back up it?  I read over at mmamania.com Evans has been promised the next shot, looks like Griffin will have a successful first title defence after all  hihi
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #551 on: September 07, 2008, 06:54:03 PM »

I was obviously exaggerating and showing how big of an upset it would be.

If I lose to u cowbell, don't worry, I'll rock the signature and avy.

SHIT, almost 16,000 posts, U are out of your mind if u think Id delete this account.

Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #552 on: September 07, 2008, 07:46:26 PM »

I was obviously exaggerating and showing how big of an upset it would be.

If I lose to u cowbell, don't worry, I'll rock the signature and avy.

SHIT, almost 16,000 posts, U are out of your mind if u think Id delete this account.

I think even i would find it boring without you D. But you realise that by not living up to your word... you're less of a champion to me hihi

I watched the main event of UFC today. Liddell was so close to an uppercut though it was a split second from a double KO haha. He caught chuck good though. yes

I'm Gonna Buy A Gun And Start A War
If You Can Tell Me Something Worth Fighting For
[/color]

Get on your Dancing Shoes
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #553 on: September 09, 2008, 11:52:48 AM »

I just read that Evan Tanner had died, I don't know what to say, I'm in shock, that's such a huge loss. Cry
slash666
On The Edge Of Seventeen
Legend

The REAL Champ Is Here!

« Reply #554 on: September 09, 2008, 02:03:15 PM »

I just read that Evan Tanner had died, I don't know what to say, I'm in shock, that's such a huge loss. Cry

I didn't believe you at first but just read on tons of sites, damn I'm shocked, totally unexpected. Huge loss, only aged 37, this has really shocked me!

The Squared Circle

Join The Revolution!
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #555 on: September 17, 2008, 08:30:23 AM »

One of the greatest backstories of ?The Ultimate Fighter 8,? debuting Wednesday night on Spike TV, doesn?t even come from one of the 32 fighters vying for the 16 available slots on the series. It belongs to Frank Mir, who coaches one of the squads.

Mir?s four-year journey back into contention for a second UFC heavyweight title is not your typical MMA comeback tale. In 2004, the Las Vegas native was struck by a car going 50 mph while riding his motorcycle to work.

Mir was thrown nearly 90 feet from his bike on impact, hit the pavement with his head, and settled on the grass with a broken femur. The accident nearly crushed his spirit as well.

Forced to strip the then 26-year-old champion of his title when he couldn?t return to defend it after 13 months, the UFC was hesitant when Mir re-entered the Octagon in February 2006 to face Marcio Cruz.

Mir wasn?t prepared to fight again, though he didn?t just lie to himself. During his pre-fight physical, he squatted on one foot for the doctors so they wouldn?t notice that his right leg was four inches shorter than his left.

The subsequent bout against Cruz was a mess, with the Brazilian landing shot after unchallenged shot into Mir?s bloody guard for four tortuous minutes until it was stopped.

?After the Marcio Cruz fight, I was like, ?I really shouldn?t have taken the fight,? but because I knew how injured I really was, it didn?t hurt my feelings that bad,? Mir says.

What resonated was the ultimatum that came two fights later, following a crushing first-round loss to rising striker Brandon Vera at UFC 65.

?I was told before the Antoni Hardonk fight that if I didn?t win impressively, I was out of the UFC,? says Mir.

The defeat to Vera ?- which came from a gruesome knee that smashed into Mir?s unprotected head ?- wasn?t all he had to contend with that night. After a few hours sulking and talking of retirement, Mir then faced the wrath of his wife, Jenny.

?She said, ?You think you?re the first fighter to have a bad day? You think you?re the first guy to struggle with a book or struggle with a song or struggle in life? What are you ?- a bitch?? recalls Mir. ?I remember sitting there, my nose is ripped open, I have stitches holding it together, my one eye is completely shut and I?m looking at her. I?m like, ?Wow, this hurts worse than the knee.??

His wife?s fiery words and refusal to let her doubting husband give in turned a new page in Mir?s career, punctuated by new coaches, a new training regimen, and a fresh outlook on fighting in general.

Mir's submission of Brock Lesnar brought the ex-champion back into the UFC heavyweight title picture.  Mir conquered Hardonk, which earned him a shot at the sport?s biggest newcomer ?- former WWE champion Brock Lesnar -- in February 2008. The fighter once heralded for his speedy submissions graced the cage again when he bear-trapped the bulky wrestler?s leg into a kneebar. Prior to his motorcycle accident, Mir says he wouldn?t have had the mental fortitude to withstand the flash-flood ground-and-pound attack Lesnar unleashed before the submission.

This is the Frank Mir that comes to TUF 8 as a coach, a man much more seasoned in facing adversity than he was just four years ago.

?I just came across as myself,? says Mir of his TUF appearance. ?I tried to be. At first, I tried to stay kind of reserved, but that?s my problem, is when I start talking or doing anything, the cat?s out of the bag.?

Always an eloquent speaker, Mir (11-3) hopes his knowledge and passion for the sport shines through from week to week on the show, which culminates with a December showdown against rival coach and UFC interim heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

Along with his jiu-jitsu gifts, knowledge and passion happen to be Mir?s strong suits in MMA. During his slow trek back into competitive shape, Mir was tapped to become a commentator for the UFC?s second promotion, World Extreme Cagefighting, in January 2007. His tenure over 12 WEC events has put his understanding of the mechanics of the sport on display and received ample positive reviews from fans in the process.

Mir?s commitment to the sport is unquestionable. Father to 16-year-old son Marcus and 5-year-old daughter Isabella, Mir named his second son, now three years old, Kage.

On the show, which finished shooting in late June, Mir admits he grew emotionally attached to his team, sharing their triumphs and falls as the series? hectic schedule churned out a fight every three days.

?I took on a bit of a cheerleading role,? says Mir. ?Some of the guys thought I might have a heart attack at some points.?

Not as savvy on the keyboard as he is on the mats, Mir says his wife Jenny will be gauging fans? reactions to her husband?s reality TV performance. Jenny might not have much to flinch at. Mir describes his interaction with fellow coach and idol Nogueira as respectful and amicable.

?Anybody that?s watching the show to see if me and Nogueira go at it in any other context besides competing with the fighters is going to be sorely disappointed,? says Mir. ?No animosity. There were times when we looked at each other. There were times when I didn?t like him because his guy might have beat my guy?s a--. There were times where I know he didn?t like me, but it was a very competitive nature. There was never any childish thing between him and I -- but the fighters made up for that.?

Though outrageous behavior is nearly guaranteed to fuel the fighter?s house and the ratings, Mir says he was pleasantly surprised by the talent pool.

?In past seasons, you?d see there was sound fighters on there, but there was a mixture of those guys that were there to add fluff,? he says. The eighth crop of prospects doesn?t follow that model, according to Mir.

?There?s some guys that have more fights than I do ?- twice as many. There?s guys there that are black belts in jiu-jitsu that I was rolling with that I?ve incorporated to come out and help me get ready for Nogueira now,? he says. ?I?ve actually pulled training partners out of this, those guys have such a high level.?

The list of candidates that won?t make it to a UFC preliminary bout down the road is much shorter than those that likely will, says Mir.

?There?s only maybe two or three guys I can sit there and go, ?Well, you?re probably not going to see this guy later on,? he says. ?More than half, I think are on prelims.?

Mir knows just how valuable a shot in the prelims can be. It?s where his career began in 2001 against black belt Roberto Traven at UFC 34. Seven years later, he?s guiding others down the same path.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/mir-has-tuf-story-to-tell-14430

Nice little read, really looking forward to this season, Mir's great!

Looking ahead to tonight.  Guida/Danzig has MOTY Candidate potential going in, hopefully it will live up to expectations.  Neer vs Diaz should be damn good to.  Houston Alexander been fed a can in the shape of Eric Schafer in his own backyard, he best hope he wins because a 3rd straight loss against Schafer would look real bad.  Joe Lauzon should get back on the winning path and I'd expect Ed Herman to just edge it in his battle with Alan Belcher.

Should be another solid card.

Edit: Dana pretty much confirms Houston's job IS on the line:

?There?s no doubt [Houston Alexander needs to turn things around]. He needs a way. He desperately needs a win. Another loss and he?s going to have to go out and start working his way back up to the UFC.?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 10:08:32 AM by Hammy » Logged
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #556 on: September 26, 2008, 12:46:49 PM »

Well looks like I was the only one who watched it, solid event, every fight was enjoyable.

I'm really enjoy the new season of The Ultimate Fighter, Frank Mir is clearly very passionate, it's great seeing him getting so involved (helping out and getting emotionally attached to people seemingly), the preview clip at the end of the 2nd episode makes it look like this season is going to be pretty wild in the house.

World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) announced today that it will no longer support light heavyweight and middleweight divisions, deciding instead to focus on lighter weight classes such as welterweight (170 pounds), lightweight (155 pounds), featherweight (145 pounds) and bantamweight (135 pounds).

The expected move is scheduled to go into effect January 1, 2009. In fact, the event scheduled for December 3 will be the last to feature the heavier divisions.

Here?s a snip from WEC Vice President Peter Dropick:

?With every fight, the WEC has proven itself to be a powerful and growing presence in sports, both with our live events and our programming on VERSUS. Exciting matchups like Torres vs. Tapia on Dec. 3 and the incredible fights we have planned for 2009 under this new structure will no doubt establish WEC as the home of the best lighter weight fighters in the world.?

This is good news for several reasons.

First, it will enable the promotion to showcase more lighter fighters more often on its cards and build more stars. Under the current format several talented up-and-comers either didn?t fight frequently enough or were buried on the nontelevised portion of the cards.

In addition, the light heavyweight and middleweight talent pools in the WEC are extremely shallow ? champions had very few true number one contenders. Furthermore, because Zuffa ? the parent company of the UFC ? runs the WEC the good fighters in those divisions will likely be integrated into the UFC fold.

That means WEC Middleweight Champion Paulo Filho, WEC Light Heavyweight Champion Steve Cantwell, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann and several others will soon be fighting inside the Octagon.

It sounds like a win-win all around. Now the promotion just needs to cough up the cash to convince Filho and UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva ? who are good friends ? to agree to a fight.

Money talks

Having Paulo Filho in the UFC would be superb, shame him and Silva won't fight, hopefully money does talk.

And something else of note I just found:

Props: London Telegraph

Quoteworthy:

?I?ve been working and training with Michael for a year now, and I have seen improvements consistently; he is already one of the best. He just can?t see it yet. This guy doesn?t know just how good he is. Or how good he can be yet. I think if Michael beats Chris Leben and he fights Dan Henderson next he has the chance to show he is one of the best. If Michael beats and defeats Henderson then he can take on Anderson Silva. Michael has all the qualities to be one the best. He?s better than me at so many things. Michael is a great fighter. He works hard, trains hard, he?s got the potential to be one of the best champions in the sport. He?s also got really good trainers. In the MMA game, anything can happen in a fight. People see Silva as invincible, but Michael could beat Silva one day. There is always a first in this sport.?

Former light heavyweight champion Quinton Rampage Jackson ? who now trains full time with top middleweight contender Michael Bisping at Wolfslair MMA Academy in the United Kingdom ? feels his team member and friend could defeat UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva. The interesting thing here is that he lays out a fight schedule that could groom Bisping for an eventual showdown with ?The Spider? after two fights ? Chris Leben at UFC 89 and then Dan Henderson. Bisping has been rumored to be a coach on the next season of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 9 opposite Hendo if he can defeat ?The Crippler? next month. It makes sense because of the ?U.S. vs. U.K.? theme for the next installment of the mixed martial arts reality series on Spike TV. The winner of the bout would then challenge Silva for the 185-pound world title. For that to happen, however, ?The Count? has to first defeat Leben, which is no easy task.

What baffles me is considering the great camps in the states why the hell would Rampage come over here to train with Bisping?

(Kongo's come over and joined to I heard)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 12:50:47 PM by Hammy » Logged
slash666
On The Edge Of Seventeen
Legend

The REAL Champ Is Here!

« Reply #557 on: October 26, 2008, 03:59:49 PM »

You think Evans is boring but you are looking forward to Sherk/Griffin  confused what's up with that picture Tongue

Anyone smell a boring decision.

Willing to take that back now?  hihi

Fight of the year candidate for me, suprised by the lack of wrestling though.

Overall pretty decent card, Cote wasn't going to win but you can't help feel sorry for the guy, he's bound to get a rematch anyway.

I'm not much of a Werdum fan but I was suprised to see that KO, awesome uppercut though

Alves looked comfortable as usual, title shot must be around the corner.

Really can't wait until UFC 91, well the main event mainly but the rest of the card should be good (Florian/Stevenson could let down though)

The Squared Circle

Join The Revolution!
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #558 on: October 26, 2008, 04:27:25 PM »

Fight of the Night Defo, not year but well done they surprised me (and many others).

As for Werdum, it's always hard to predict when they are against an unknown.  If you were gonna predict how he'd lose though you'd go with knockout, people who say his stand-up has improved, it's like saying Kongo has an improved ground game.  Was I the only one who thought you could of written a really long letter in between Dos Santos readying and throwing his punch.... Cheesy

Silva was off, people can praise Cote all they want.  He didn't do anything special to take it to a 3rd, it's just Silva did bugger all to finish it.  If it's true and Silva is down to his last 5 fights I doubt they'd want him to use one of those up against Cote, plus it's going to take him time to recover.  Prediction, when he recovers they have him fight a top contender to earn his shot and he ends up losing.
slash666
On The Edge Of Seventeen
Legend

The REAL Champ Is Here!

« Reply #559 on: October 29, 2008, 08:32:31 PM »

Following his performance at UFC 90, many critics, well, criticized Anderson Silva's performance agaisnt Patrick Cote and now Dana White tells the Las Vegas Review-Journal that the champ isn't too pleased:

"He's flipping out. He wants to fight again, like, on Nov. 15. He's (upset) about his performance and he wants to fight again immediately."

This most likely won't happen but if it does, UFC 91 could get bigger. The problem would be with finding an opponent. Take it for what it is worth at this time.

The Squared Circle

Join The Revolution!
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 37 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: