Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:39:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227788 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Your Grammy Reviews
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Grammy Reviews  (Read 7112 times)
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« on: February 14, 2005, 11:09:59 AM »

First off i must say this year wasnt too bad...Not great but not to bad, too many tributes i think but very good ones...I have to say the highlight of the show was without a dought the southern rock tribute..but can you really call it a tribute when you have the kings of southern rock lynyrd skynyrd performing?..oh well, you can see how much that music means to the artists..especially gretchen wilson singing freebird..anywyas that was the highlight..alicia keys and jamie foxx were very good to and u2 kicked ass..Green day werent bad and same with the tusanmi tribute...Melissa ethridge and Joss Stone were very good together..but ya the highlight was the sountern rock tribute

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 07:28:38 PM »

The Grammys suck.  They always give the awards to the most conservative and/or old artists.  That explains Norah Jones, Ray Charles, the 1988 Metallica/Jethro Tull fiasco, and why in the same year that Eminem put out The Marshall Mathers LP, Album of the Year went to STEELY DAN.  Gimme a break.
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 08:27:04 PM »

Mattman - you saying Jethro Tull weren't metal?Huh lol

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
BangoSkank
Rocker

"i'm gonna put my evil inside you!"

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 09:29:58 PM »

did ryan adams win?

who will be the last to die for a mistake?
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 09:55:58 PM »

I didn't watch the Grammys... but I checked out all the clips on MTV.Com and I REALLY wished I had.

Kanye, Kanye, Kanye.  I've always HATED acceptance speeches, but seeing the emotion coming off this guy... you can see he really poured everything he has into his album, his performances, everything.  He may be cocky (that last line was incredible... "What was I going to do if i DIDN'T win....I guess we'll never know"), but he works his ass off.  The energy he had for the "Jesus Walks" performance... dynamite.

Oh, and Alicia Keys is still incredible.
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 11:29:22 PM »

who is Kanye - should I care?? - being serious

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 07:44:21 AM »

i just got excited everytime i saw any VR member.

i was also on the look out to see if axl may be in the crowds. But i doubt it.

html sucks
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005, 10:05:37 AM »

Think generic rap bollocks and u've just about got it.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2005, 10:23:18 AM »

I watched for two reasons. The first was the radio said there was gonna be a thing on the mighty led zeppelin and that theyw ere gonna get a grammy. All they ended up doing was showing an 8 second clip and cut to page and jones in the crowd. It fucking sucked. I mean they did the tribute to Joplin and I am 100% positive you woulda had bands lined up to see a zeppelin tribute. VR wouldn't have done it? Metallica has done Zeppelin tribute in the past. Train played "what is and what should never be" on the howard stern show and it was fucking incredible. That right there coulda made the show for any rock n' roll fan especially if you had steven tyler help out. The 2nd reason I watched was for the VR all star jam and it had the same problem all "All star Jams" have. Too many artists. Even if you like every artist involved Theres not enough time for each of them. I am sure all the VR fans on this board woulda preferred Scott (who had a kick ass Bowie thing going on with his voice) to have sung more like I did. So with those being the only positives I expected, and absolutely no pleasant surprises I have to say the grammys sucked big time like usual.
One side note...how fucking pretentiuous are J-lo and marc anthony? did anyone in the world enjoy watching that? It was like a spanish soap opera. And anyone who has seen any of J-lo's movies knows she can't act. Then again I am not sure that's a requirement for soap operas in any language. Her voice is horrible too...why is this woman famous...oh yeah she's hot. I'm done.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
Dot
Cute and sweet
Banned
Legend

please come back (to the band of hacks)

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2005, 10:33:53 AM »

It wasn?t as bad as I thought it would be...u2 was awesome, Green Day was fine  and Velvet Revolver and friends was really cool.

Rock N? Roll is the answer!!!
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2005, 01:06:31 PM »

The Grammys suck.  They always give the awards to the most conservative and/or old artists.  That explains Norah Jones, Ray Charles, the 1988 Metallica/Jethro Tull fiasco, and why in the same year that Eminem put out The Marshall Mathers LP, Album of the Year went to STEELY DAN.  Gimme a break.

What was the Metallica/Jethro Tull 88 fiasco?

I'm not into the Grammy's I could tell from a short clip that it completely sucked buttocks.  lthouhg it probably slays the Brits!  You gotta love Great Britain, over history we produced easily the best rock groups but now look at us!  Franz Ferdinand and The Darkness!  confused

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2005, 01:56:58 PM »

One side note...how fucking pretentiuous are J-lo and marc anthony? did anyone in the world enjoy watching that? It was like a spanish soap opera. And anyone who has seen any of J-lo's movies knows she can't act. Then again I am not sure that's a requirement for soap operas in any language. Her voice is horrible too...why is this woman famous...oh yeah she's hot. I'm done.

If you think she's hot thats other history, her voice suck just as their movies, she looks like a servant for fuck sakes, she could arrange my house any day and I will only pay a dollar, she's horrible.
I enjoy the performance of Miss Ethebridge with Miss Stone, I mean I love Joss Stone her voice and she is a Hot BABE!!!  love, Also performing a Janis Joplin song it was outrageous  ok

No man can be my equal
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 10:20:29 PM »

At the 1989 Grammy Awards, they had the first ever award for Best Metal Performance.  Metallica was the favourite to win (for ..And Justice For All), and the other nominees were Jethro Tull, Iggy Pop, Jane's Addiction, and AC/DC.  Who did the award go to?  Jethro Tull.  The old hippies with the flute who hadn't been relevant for at least 10 years and weren't even really metal.

That was the most infamous single example of how out-of-touch the "Granny" awards usually are.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2005, 03:43:13 AM »

Prince won 2 grammies!!!!!
Male R&B for "call my  name"
traditional R&B vocal for "musicology"

great year for Prince!!!!!!!!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2005, 04:02:41 AM »

Think generic rap bollocks and u've just about got it.

Exactly!  Just another run-of-the-mill rapper... I mean, who DOESN'T rap about Jesus these days?

Kevorkian, if you seriously haven't heard of him, then you probably shouldn't care.  Of course, if you actually have an open mind, you might try listening to some of his songs.  I would recommend All Falls Down (about being self-conscious) or Jesus Walks (about.... guess?)... definetaly one of the best artists around.
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2005, 08:53:28 PM »

Exactly!? Just another run-of-the-mill rapper... I mean, who DOESN'T rap about Jesus these days?

Kevorkian, if you seriously haven't heard of him, then you probably shouldn't care.? Of course, if you actually have an open mind, you might try listening to some of his songs.? I would recommend All Falls Down (about being self-conscious) or Jesus Walks (about.... guess?)... definetaly one of the best artists around.

I was just about to say the same thing.  When I saw a rap video with Jesus getting crucified in it, I immediately thought..."whoa, that's weird."  I love it when rap artists do something different.  Ditto with Outkast.
BangoSkank
Rocker

"i'm gonna put my evil inside you!"

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2005, 09:12:05 PM »

did ryan adams win?

yes i too want to know if ryan adams won

who will be the last to die for a mistake?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2005, 09:46:26 PM »

havent see him in any categories

go to www.grammys.com and they should have a complete list

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2005, 10:03:17 AM »

I usually can't stand watching the grammys, but this year wasn't too bad.  I loved the southern rock tribute and Melissa and Joss did great.  I do think Melissa does Janice better - she did a lot of Joplin tunes at Woodstock '94.  Of course she had HAIR then.  Tongue

Why don't you just....
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2005, 07:13:22 PM »

At the 1989 Grammy Awards, they had the first ever award for Best Metal Performance.  Metallica was the favourite to win (for ..And Justice For All), and the other nominees were Jethro Tull, Iggy Pop, Jane's Addiction, and AC/DC.  Who did the award go to?  Jethro Tull.  The old hippies with the flute who hadn't been relevant for at least 10 years and weren't even really metal.

That was the most infamous single example of how out-of-touch the "Granny" awards usually are.

Wasn't Elvis Costello Nominated for his "Spike" album too??? I seem to remember that too - "Thanks to Jethro Tull for not putting out an album this year!" - Lars Ulrich upon winning Metallica's first Grammy

KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2005, 07:17:11 PM »

Exactly!  Just another run-of-the-mill rapper... I mean, who DOESN'T rap about Jesus these days?

Kevorkian, if you seriously haven't heard of him, then you probably shouldn't care.  Of course, if you actually have an open mind, you might try listening to some of his songs.  I would recommend All Falls Down (about being self-conscious) or Jesus Walks (about.... guess?)... definetaly one of the best artists around.

I was just about to say the same thing.  When I saw a rap video with Jesus getting crucified in it, I immediately thought..."whoa, that's weird."  I love it when rap artists do something different.  Ditto with Outkast.

I have the most open mind ever working at a record store for 7 years.... I guess it also chased me away from all the grammy type bands - I listen to Dillinger Escape Plan, Bungle, Tomahawk and stuff mostly - my ear is more to the underground. I guess I understand Gwar better than Green Day.

Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: