Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:46:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227818 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  I know the scales, but so fucking what??
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I know the scales, but so fucking what??  (Read 2343 times)
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« on: February 04, 2005, 08:07:56 AM »

Yeah, I know most of the scales, but i don't know what to do with them... I mean, most of the time when listening to songs i can figure out the scales, but i can't seem to write a single decent riff by myself! A few tips from u song writers and expert guitarists, plz Cry

Fuck 'Em All.
BP
Rocker

Every time i think i'm out, they pull me back in

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 01:12:17 PM »

Yeah, I know most of the scales, but i don't know what to do with them... I mean, most of the time when listening to songs i can figure out the scales, but i can't seem to write a single decent riff by myself! A few tips from u song writers and expert guitarists, plz Cry

not this is a is a whole answer or even a right or wrong answer....? ?but if you are looking to make a riff that is pleasing to your ear, worry less about doing your scale "right" & worry more about pulling off something within the key you are playing within the count. Then it will come natural to you.

it's your song.... Improvize all you want. use half the scale or even change it up. you'll get faster with feel Smiley

Try writing down some words & just make it a simple 4/4 count & put your Key/chords on top of the words & count for each chord ( 1 2 3 4 tap your foot) to this:

E 1 2 3 4? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
Been coming over to Jarmo's

A 1 2 3 4
All night n day

E 1 2 3 4? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
Been coming over to Jarmo's

A 1 2 3 4
I think I'm here to stay

B 1 2 3 4
But when My Baby's Callin

A 1 2 3 4
Yeah! Got to be on my...

E 1 2 3 4? 1 2 3 4
WaY? ?< Strike E Chord, then good place to add quick blues scale to end song

Cheesy -BP

Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 01:01:05 PM »

my advice is use the scales and pick any notes on that scale and stick 2 that particular scale. it can be any order, any speed.

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 06:32:56 PM »

Scales?

Hum something  in your head that you'd like to hear as a riff.. transfer it to guitar.  Simple as.
Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 08:51:13 PM »

May I suggest something?

don't use your fingers, use your brains, your imagination, whistle some fucking decent riff, memorize it (come on... riffs are short) and then try to play it on guitar, maybe they are in a hard key to play, so after you can play it look if you can "move" that riff into a easier key to do easier chourds for chours, bridges, etc etc.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 09:06:59 PM »

i have an easy answer for ya

less is more

i use to have the hardest time writing a riff just like u are mentioning and then i realized what i was doing wrong

i tried to make things too difficult.

listen to some of your fav bands and pay close attention to the riffs

most of the time its only 3 or 4 chords.

i use to listen to a song and think WOW that must be difficult, then id reallylisten to it and realize "well shit, thats simple"

now i have simplified my thinking and i can write riffs all day long.

plus use a drum machine

playing heavy riffs without drums sometimes just dont kick as much ass and its harder to write them

put a drum machine or something while u are playing and it sparks creativity and i guarantee u will crank shit out all day long!

hope that helps!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 04:44:05 AM »

Thanks people!  beer

Fuck 'Em All.
Agno
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 01:56:51 PM »

The best homepages for this questions I think is www.ibreathmusic.com and www.stetina.com.
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 10:40:15 PM »

Listen to Hendrix, Clapton, Slash, Jimmy Page, Kirk hammet. Listen to everything, from blues to heavy metal. Pay attention to the solos, with time you will memorize the riffs these guitarrists (and others too) use and you will incorporate them and use them in your own way  ok
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: