Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:37:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Fiona Apple
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fiona Apple  (Read 7196 times)
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« on: March 12, 2005, 03:38:10 AM »

Hey, does anyone likes Fiona Apple here?
Well, her new album "Extraordinary Machine" was shelved by Sony since feb. '03. A couple of weeks ago, some Seattle radio station leaked the full album and now it's avaliable online with 192kb mp3 CD quality.
I was waiting her new album since 99's When The Pawn... I wouldn't wait anymore for the Sony shit and I downloaded all the tracks.
I'm asking myself if I would do it with Chinese Democracy... I dunno, at least Fiona's album was not comming out anytime near - and I'm still hoping for CD this year.  nervous
I will not put any link for the full album, but it's not that hard to find it.  Wink

So, anyone heard anything from Extraordinary Machine?

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 05:13:28 AM »

I also downloaded the whole thing.. I was not very impressed. all the songs kinda sound a like and are sometimes....lifeless..
But I'm not that big of a fan anyway. so don't take it from me.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 10:00:14 AM »

Not a fan - but i've heard the story - serves the label right for keeping this from the fans, now they will get no money at all.

Okay the album is naff - but that's never stopped them before - they release crap, and promote it, every day

Glad to see there is an occaisional flash of justice in the world

Quick! To the bandwagon!
journey
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 02:17:09 PM »

I really like Fiona Apple's music.

I think it's twisted that her record label would shelve her third album,after she made them lots of money.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 04:08:59 PM »

every record an artist makes has to get the approval of the record label, if the label dont approve it, u have to re-record till they like it

i know aerosmith had to redo Nine Lives with a new producer cause the label didnt like it, dave matthews' Lily white sessions were shelved for a few years and he had to do a totally different album

its the business and it sucks

they didnt like her album, didnt hear anything marketable or any hits, so they refused to release it

I remember Alicia Keyes record label did that to her first album, she got released from her contract went to a new label and sold double digit million copies of it.

the above is a major problem in today's music which is why most everything sucks and sounds alike

its no longer about the art, its about the dollar

and if u create art for money only its gonna suck big time.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 06:27:16 PM »

its no longer about the art, its about the dollar

and if u create art for money only its gonna suck big time.

If that's the case then why is so much music awful? Surely even the evilist of capitalists realises a great product will sell more? Look at the all time highest selling albums - they are all by quality bands - good music sells, so if money is the key, why is the charts full of rubbish at the expense of better bands?

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 12:42:08 AM »

I like her first album, even if the maturity of the songs gave them and her some "fake" and "made" feel to it. I think she was 17 at that time, so maybe you better give Andy Wallace and some other people a really huge credit for this album.

The production on her second one killed the entire album for me. Jon Brion ruined the songs with that carnivalesque Magnolia atmosphere, sounded like an Aimee Mann album, absolutely terrible. Songwriting wasn't anything like the quality on "Tidal" either.

The third one - well, no need to download this until you haven't heard "Tidal". I didn't like what I've heard so far (3 songs) any better than the stuff on "When The Pawn..."

The leak thing appears to be PROMOTION more than anything else. She was gone for a while, now she's back with a nice little story. That's how it's done, no big thing.
So, you don't like her at all. That's ok. I guess it's a matter of taste, but I guess you missed some points.
When The Pawn is her best album IMO and I'm sure every Fiona fan could agree. The "carnivalesque Magnolia atmosphere" was there, but that was a damn good thing. And she wrote some songs with angry and agressive feelings, what makes the album even more passional.
Hell, even Axl liked WTP:

Loder: What's been knocking you out yourself lately? Is there anything today that you think is better than Jane's Addiction was back in the day?

Rose: I don't know about, like, as far as aggressive goes, but I really like the new Fiona Apple.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=28

Extraordinary Machine is like Tidal, but with the lyrics from WTP. And, for just those rough mix, I found it brilliant. I'm sorry if you didn't like any of her new songs, you should be open for some unexpected sounds - even more with her.  Wink

Lucio92
Headliner

GNR Venezuela

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 09:48:53 PM »

Seven months ago, Fiona Apple's long-delayed third album, Extraordinary Machine became a cause c?l?bre for her ardent fans.

The LP, recorded in 2002 with producer Jon Brion, was reportedly being shelved indefinitely by

"Now that my album is finally finished, I am very, very excited to have people hear what we did ? I am so proud of it, and all of us who worked on it." ? Fiona Apple

Photos, audio and video from this story

Fiona Apple
"Paper Bag"
When The Pawn...
Epic/Clean Slate 
   Fiona Apple
"Sleep To Dream"
Tidal
Work 

executives at Apple's label, Sony Music, who didn't see album's commercial potential. Besotted fans campaigned online for its release (see "Whatever Happened To Fiona Apple? Online Campaign Tries To Find Out"), and a month later, a version of the album leaked online (see "Fiona Apple's Extraordinary Songs Leaked On The Radio").

But now, in a surprising turn of events, a revamped version of the LP, with new recordings produced by Dr. Dre's right-hand studio-man Mike Elizondo, has been completed and is set for release on October 4.

Co-produced by Brian Kehew (Moog Cookbook), the retooled Extraordinary Machine contains 12 tracks: two Brion-produced songs, including the title track, from the leaked album; nine new recordings of previously leaked songs; and a brand-new song entitled "Parting Gift." The new track is a characteristically bitter breakup song with the growling refrain: "Oh you stupid, silly pastime of mine/ You were always good for a rhyme," that then quietly laments, "All the signs said stop, but we went on wholehearted/ It ended bad, but I love what we started."

"Now that my album is finally finished, I am very, very excited to have people hear what we did ? I am so proud of it, and all of us who worked on it." Apple said in a statement. The singer hasn't released an album since 1999's longwindedly titled When the Pawn Hits ...

Myspace.com will begin streaming the album's first single, "O' Sailor" on Monday (August 15). Tuesday, iTunes will offer a two-song download of "O' Sailor" coupled with "Parting Gift." The songs can also be heard on Apple's Web site.

Elizondo told The New York Times that the overhauled version of Machine is "radically different," noting that he and Apple listened to the Brion-produced recordings, but decided to embark on a different path. "Everything [the pair worked on together] was done from scratch," he told the paper.

The Times also suggested that Apple herself was the one who held back the original version of the record, which she had called a work in progress. Apple has not commented on the matter, with the exception of Monday's statement.

While the Brion-produced album was completed, apparently the tracks that leaked were unfinished versions. The producer, who recently finished a stint as co-executive producer of Kanye West's Late Registration (see "Kanye's Co-Pilot, Jon Brion, Talks About The Making Of Late Registration"), says the version that leaked on the radio months ago is "not representational of the work" he and Apple did.

"There's music on there that wasn't even part of [what I recorded]. It's wrong," he said. "It's not like, 'I don't quite like the mix,' " he continued, affecting a whiny voice. "I wasn't happy with [the leak] cause I don't like those versions. It's stuff that doesn't reflect what we recorded, for the most part, except for the stuff that's just her and an orchestra. That's just right ? but as far as the rest of it, it doesn't reflect what I recorded."

Whatever the case may be, there appears to be no bad blood between the two ? Apple recently played at Brion's Friday-night residency at Club Largo in Los Angeles and performed a couple of songs from the record. "She re-recorded a bunch of stuff, but whatever, that's her business," Brion said. "I remain a fan and think she's great, and she shouldn't have to meet too much resistance."

? Rodrigo Perez

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1507595/20050815/apple_fiona.jhtml?headlines=true

i know axl likes the music of fiona as i do, and this i hope .......will make axl realize that maybe it's his time too, i' m so happy give me more force to hold the wait

peace

lm
Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005, 10:36:45 PM »

I don't see any direct relation with Guns N' Roses  Embarrassed

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2005, 11:36:18 PM »

Well, she hasn't done shit in years. Neither has Axl. She had an album, but for reasons not fully known by the public, couldn't be released. Same with Axl. No one knows if people still care for Fiona like they used to. Same with Axl. She has an internet fanbase dying to hear the album. Same with Axl. The only thing not in common right now between the two situations is Fiona is releasing her album.

SkinnyPuppy
Rocker

What, me Worry ?

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2005, 12:10:53 AM »

Good point man  ok

I am so OVER THIS  drool

Wounds heal, chicks dig scars, and glory, glory lasts forever. (falco)
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 08:07:59 PM »

The article about Fiona:

Rolling Stone article

The article about the album Extraordinary Machine:

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/_/id/7670833/fionaapple?pageid=rs.Artistcage&pageregion=triple1

I don't know, but her article remind me that one with Axl back in '99. Anyone agree?

journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2005, 06:00:44 AM »

I'm glad her album is finally being released. I can't wait to hear it.

I guess her situation is/was similar to Axl's in regard to having to fight for the quality of music. They both want to put out songs that mean something to them, rather than cookie cutter hits.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2005, 06:37:06 AM »

I'm glad her album is finally being released. I can't wait to hear it.
Here you can hear the streaming of the full album:
http://www.myspace.com/fionaapple

I guess her situation is/was similar to Axl's in regard to having to fight for the quality of music. They both want to put out songs that mean something to them, rather than cookie cutter hits.
Yeah. Also, she had to deal with her own mind, with fans and media - just to want to be out of the spotlight. So did Axl... I just hope Axl can release CD and be happy with it like Fiona did with her new album. Wink

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: