Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 08:20:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227995 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  DISCUSSIONS about the Best 80's Frontman Survivor!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DISCUSSIONS about the Best 80's Frontman Survivor!  (Read 32737 times)
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #180 on: April 14, 2005, 01:23:18 PM »

Gn'r have alot of teenage girl fans aswell, you know

No shit. The amount is still nothing compared to how many Bon Jovi has.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #181 on: April 14, 2005, 01:30:12 PM »

Bon Jovi doesn't have any fans? Wink
Well not much anymore

The Beatles had loads of tennage girl fans also and that didn't take much away from them

smoking Izzy? smoking

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #182 on: April 14, 2005, 03:05:15 PM »

OK, first... comparing the beatles and bon jovi is like comparing prime rib and dog shit.  You can eat both of them, but only one of them is good.  Beatles and bon jovi, both play (or played) music, but only one of the two bands is worth listening to.

Bon Jovi only claim to fame was there appeal to the aqua net audience...  That's not necessarily a bad thing, commercially... that's the best market to tap in to.  If you want to sell gobs of records, appeal to the teen girls, because they're the ones who've got the money to buy the records.  The problem with tapping into that market is that there's no longevity to it (the aqua netters eventually grow up and their tastes change), not to mention the fact that you lose credibility among true fans. 

Other examples who appealed to this market:  N'Sync, New Kids on the Block, Backstreet Boys...

the  Bon Jovi boys were the N'Sync of the late 80s.

yes... Bon Jovi has other fans besides the aqua netters... but, the numbers are not nearly substantial enough to boast a sold out stadium tour. 

*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #183 on: April 14, 2005, 03:54:32 PM »

Didn't the Beatles also tap into that kind of audience, I don't see the difference? Huh

smoking Izzy? smoking

Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #184 on: April 14, 2005, 04:16:05 PM »

almost ever big band has or has some teen girl fans.You can't really get to big time with out it  ok
 The beatles and Bon Jovi both play ,played pop rock .

Halford and Jon Bon Jovi got the knock off already and Bach and Dickinson still remain is fuck bull.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #185 on: April 14, 2005, 06:47:30 PM »

Bon jovi have no fans?

dude u really need some musical knowledge 101

Bon Jovi go multiplatinum worldwide with every record

they sell out STADIUMS in the US still. they have an older fan base now, sure they have some teenage girls but they attract an older crowd now and they sell out every single show they play or play to near capacity everywhere.

5 years ago they played for 500,000 people in New York City at the NFL kickoff, they sold out Gillette stadium in Boston, back to back nights in Giants Stadium, Tigers Stadium in Detroit

trust me, they have millions and millions of fans. ok

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #186 on: April 15, 2005, 01:11:39 PM »

I was only joking D hihi Since everyone here seems to dislike Bon Jovi, I thought it was funny? Sad

smoking Izzy? smoking

Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #187 on: April 15, 2005, 04:20:14 PM »

Bon Jovi are barely rock music at all. Many people would just call them pop. Skid Row and Motley Crue, however, can be considered metal! Vince Neil is still a bad frontman, though. Skid Row is one of the few hair bands that actually got HEAVIER from the first to second album. I respect them for that. And JBJ simply ruined his voice from overtouring; he is nothing compared to how he used to be.

Of course, Skid Row are nowhere near as talented as Iron Maiden. I think we can thank Maiden for their light sounding, enjoyable Number of the Beast album and song for almost completely killing the Satanic metal stereotype and bringing the art foward. Bands like Helloween, Hammerfall, Rhapsody, and nearly every other power/progressive metal band (literally thousands) have been influenced by Iron Maiden.

Skid Row, like Guns n' Roses, came at the very end of that era, and could hardly be called influential, but were excellent nonetheless. And don't forget, Metallica may have released the first thrash album, but Overkill was the first thrash band. Metallica were never an original band, and Hetfield isn't as great as Mustaine (who should still be in this contest...)

I think Dickinson will win, after some idiots voted the METAL GOD off the list.  rant
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #188 on: April 15, 2005, 08:02:28 PM »

once again this isnt the best 80's METAL frontman survivor *which is why Prince stayed around so long*

Jon's voice is pretty shot these days but in the 80's he still had all his range and power.
he use to run around like Axl, i remember when they had a huge catwalk built at the giants stadium gig and he'd run all around it, he used  to fly out over the crowd and sing

He has kind of toned it down now but back then he was amazing. Now he stands around and plays rhythm guitar alot, doesnt dance around,run around as much but back then he was very charismatic and active on the stage.

the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #189 on: April 15, 2005, 11:17:20 PM »

Bon Jovi only claim to fame was there appeal to the aqua net audience...? That's not necessarily a bad thing, commercially... that's the best market to tap in to.? If you want to sell gobs of records, appeal to the teen girls, because they're the ones who've got the money to buy the records.? The problem with tapping into that market is that there's no longevity to it (the aqua netters eventually grow up and their tastes change), not to mention the fact that you lose credibility among true fans.?

Other examples who appealed to this market:? N'Sync, New Kids on the Block, Backstreet Boys...

the? Bon Jovi boys were the N'Sync of the late 80s.

Youre right about tapping into that market and all, but I'd have to disagree with the longevity aspect when it comes to BJ attracting the aqua netters. Sure, they are a huge part of his success, but the thing with jovi is that his aqua netters get lured in, and many grow up still liking jovi. This is different from the other groups you mentioned. On top of that, jovi still to this day attracts these netters wheras new kids on thew block do not and would not today, wheater they reformed or not along with the others you mentioned.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #190 on: April 16, 2005, 02:07:57 AM »

Singing poorly and messing up your voice in 5 years doesn't make you a good frontman. It makes you stupid. Halford has a great voice after over 30 years! He's past 50! He has leather and a motorcycle to entertain the kids, but he's serious about proper vocal technique. That's what made him a great frontman, technical skill combined with an eye for image.

Plus, JBJ never made a song called Turbo Lover.  hihi
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #191 on: April 16, 2005, 02:27:47 AM »

yeah but id bet my balls that Bon Jovi played a lot more shows than Halford as well.

Jon's voice was still amazing up till about 1996, on These Days he could still really sing but when he took up acting he started smoking and that has fucked his voice up more than anything else.

Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #192 on: April 16, 2005, 08:56:52 AM »

Bon Jovi rok!

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #193 on: April 16, 2005, 02:32:32 PM »

Um, D, Rob Halford started his singing in the late 60's, and Judas Priest's first album came out in 1974. He has sung at least 4x as many shows as JBJ. He was a legend before Bon Jovi was even formed.

And his voice has never been matched. Listen to him sing on Unleashed in the East. He pushes himself harder than JBJ does, yet he preserves his voice with perfect classical technique. Of course, even Bach could do proper singing during his broadway stint!  hihi JBJ just relies too much on production. Not raw enough.
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #194 on: April 16, 2005, 05:46:18 PM »

I cant believe Prince and James Hetfield didnt get voted off earlier, theyr a load of bolox apart from eneter sandman and One

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #195 on: April 16, 2005, 08:38:52 PM »

Singing poorly and messing up your voice in 5 years doesn't make you a good frontman. It makes you stupid. Halford has a great voice after over 30 years! He's past 50! He has leather and a motorcycle to entertain the kids, but he's serious about proper vocal technique. That's what made him a great frontman, technical skill combined with an eye for image.

Plus, JBJ never made a song called Turbo Lover. hihi
That's what I noticed about Rob when he sings live. He has that look live, like he's taking his vocal work very seriously.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: