Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:08:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227805 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Observing the society
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Observing the society  (Read 9737 times)
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« on: April 18, 2005, 06:29:31 PM »

Have you already taken a few minutes, trying to "disconnect" yourself from the outside just to observe how the whole society works? Try the experience, take a coffee somewhere, sit down, and just observe people in the street. Don't speak, just observe people during a few minutes, close your eyes if you can and just hear the noize. Don't you think things are too well organized? Doesn't it shock you?
It's both wonderfull and scary. It's special. This is a unique moment. And then...you come-back to "real" life, you stand-up, and you continue to do what you have to do...that's wonderfull...you feel great...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 07:01:02 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
MCT
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 06:41:28 PM »

Have you already taken a few minutes, trying to "disconnect" yourself from the outside just to observe how the whole society works? Try the experience, take a coffee somewhere, sit down, and just observe people in the street. Don't speak, just observe. Don't you think things are too well organized? Doesn't it shock you?
It's both wonderfull and scary. It's special. This is a unique moment. And then...you come-back to "real" life, you stand-up, and you return to work. That's wonderfull.

Which society exactly are you referring to?
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 06:44:01 PM »

well in my language, society = people (you, me, everybody).
I didn't mean "company"  Wink
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 06:48:31 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Narcissa
Back In Black
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 06:50:08 PM »

doesn't work for me.
MCT
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 07:02:26 PM »

I'd urge you to compare the quoted text from my previous post with your original post.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 10:06:44 PM »

Have you already taken a few minutes, trying to "disconnect" yourself from the outside just to observe how the whole society works? Try the experience, take a coffee somewhere, sit down, and just observe people in the street. Don't speak, just observe people during a few minutes, close your eyes if you can and just hear the noize. Don't you think things are too well organized? Doesn't it shock you?
It's both wonderfull and scary. It's special. This is a unique moment. And then...you come-back to "real" life, you stand-up, and you continue to do what you have to do...that's wonderfull...you feel great...

Fucking sad is what it is.

We are just monkeys with cell phones in this country, driving around buying shit we don't need. I'd say 95% of the population in the states are totally controlled by what they see on tv, and they do as they are told.

Wanna real trip?

Turn off the tv for about 6 months. See how you think then...you may never want to turn that crap on again. That will change your life and you'll see why you want what you do, and why people want what they want.
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 10:54:04 PM »

Fucking sad is what it is.

We are just monkeys with cell phones in this country, driving around buying shit we don't need. I'd say 95% of the population in the states are totally controlled by what they see on tv, and they do as they are told.

Wanna real trip?

Turn off the tv for about 6 months. See how you think then...you may never want to turn that crap on again. That will change your life and you'll see why you want what you do, and why people want what they want.

I agree with the SLCPUNK got the most part ,but I really don?t think it is something that has happened over night this is something that has been going on for many ,many years now.

But I don?t think you have to turn the tv off to know why you want thing .Just watch a little less and don?t buy ever little thing of bullshit that it spews ate you.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 11:01:18 PM by timothy » Logged

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
SLCPUNK
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 03:53:01 AM »

I keep it off now. The more I went without it, the less I missed it.

I don't think I said it happened overnight, hence the "monkeys with cell phones" remark.

My point is: 6 months or 6 days...it makes you turn inwards, and hopefully that will make you ask deeper questions than "can I afford the new Ipod," or " can this SUV really make trips to the grocery easier for me?"

When oil reserves runs lower and prices creep up, watch what happens next.....
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 04:11:24 AM »

I did this for 3 years of my life and wrote about it.

Nothing to say
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 10:14:53 AM »

I don't think I said it happened overnight, hence the "monkeys with cell phones" remark.

My point is: 6 months or 6 days...it makes you turn inwards, and hopefully that will make you ask deeper questions than "can I afford the new Ipod," or " can this SUV really make trips to the grocery easier for me?"

I really don?t watch that much tv .I mean the only things I watch are sportcenter , Wrestling , and ufc ppv and  wrestling ppv .Besides that It?s mainly used to watch movies .

But if your going to cut off tv would you not  also have to cut off other form of adevertisment such ass radio , the internet etc.?

I don?t think that the main problem is that is that these adevertisments go after the people who really don?t stop and think about their decisions . On buy stuff like an SUV.

And that you have people who would rather fallow other then who they are .

Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 12:49:08 PM »

How do you know it's the real life?

"The real reason a man hits on a girl - is to fight masturbation."
SLCPUNK
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 03:58:18 PM »

I really don?t watch that much tv .I mean the only things I watch are sportcenter , Wrestling , and ufc ppv and? wrestling ppv .Besides that It?s mainly used to watch movies .

But if your going to cut off tv would you not? also have to cut off other form of adevertisment such ass radio , the internet etc.?

I don?t think that the main problem is that is that these adevertisments go after the people who really don?t stop and think about their decisions . On buy stuff like an SUV.

And that you have people who would rather fallow other then who they are .

I don't listen to radio, only music I choose.

I read and learn, mostly online, plus do all my day to day banking type things.

I think you may be missing my point a bit. It's not just ads that affect the person you are. TV shapes who you are all day long, from what you buy, to how you think and why you think it. 24 hour news channels are no better than ads in my book.
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2005, 04:24:31 PM »

Okay I get  what your saying now.

But you have to agree that TV and what you watch can only shape what you think and buy if you let it .The same could be said about the internet and any other form of entertainment.

Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2005, 06:59:08 PM »

But you have to agree that TV and what you watch can only shape what you think and buy if you let it .The same could be said about the internet and any other form of entertainment.

you would be surprised...why do you think advertisers spend so much money on advertising? because it works...subliminal association and repetition...once you become aware to it then you will never look at advertising in the same way again

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2005, 08:06:49 PM »

you would be surprised...why do you think advertisers spend so much money on advertising? because it works...subliminal association and repetition...once you become aware to it then you will never look at advertising in the same way again

Yeah it does work but only if you let yourself buy into it. is all I?m saying.

gunsnroses393
Headliner

Go Marlins!

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2005, 02:52:31 AM »

cluster fuck message board

http://fsentertainment.proboards37.com
SLCPUNK
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2005, 04:05:40 PM »

Great pic...wrong topic.... Tongue
Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2005, 11:08:48 PM »

How is it that it goes... MCT correct me on this one if im off the mark....

"The medium is the msg, and the content is the viewers"

it works on everything from radio to print to tv and movies. the one thing that is dynamic is the content, and the one thing that is static is the msg.

we always change that is why we are dynamic. our needs, out ideals, our wants, and our dreams. we observe the medium, and we control what we see. regardless if you have 1 channel or 100 if not enough people watch a certail show on the medium it goes away and something fills the void by what we want or is preceived that we want. it happens with everyting. regardless of advertising, if the product siomply doesnt work no matter how well it is advertised there will be less and less repeat customers. so that is why products are trageted more and more to reach thos niches that will buy it no matter what.

long story short, advertising does have an effect on the vast majority of consumers because it is targeted to reach the vast majority of cousumers or targeted to reach just the niche shoppers. however teh product ahs to make it on its own merit after the inital sale or no matter how much you spend on advertising you will not seel many more of them.

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
MCT
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2005, 11:35:16 AM »

How is it that it goes... MCT correct me on this one if im off the mark....

"The medium is the msg, and the content is the viewers"

What are ya gettin' on wit' me son?

conny
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2005, 12:08:39 PM »

Don?t like to think too much, it makes me think too much,
It keeps my mid on my mind
Don?t wanna see too much, it makes me see to much
Sometimes I?d rather be blind

All the things that they?re saying & doing
When they pass me by it just fills me up with noise
It overloads me
I wanna disconnected myself
Pull my brains damn out, unplug myself
I want nothing right now, I want to pull it out

Yeah, I want to pull it out, yeah
I wanna break it all down, hey, I wanna pull it out
Yeah, yeah, disconnect myself, disconnect myself

A thousand miles an hour going nowhere fast
Cluding to the details of your past
Talking ?bout your damages and wasting my time
Wanna be the king mainstain in line
All the numbers and the colours of the fax
Back by the rumours and the figures of the statch
I think I?m gonna download my ind

I wanna pull it out

Too damn bad if at the end of the day the only thoughts
In your brain are all the things that they say, what a waste
Too damn bad if at the end of the line you got no idea of
What?s on your own mind
You got no one to blame but yourself
Too much to know, too much to see
If I mean something to you but it?s nothing to me

I wanna disconnect myself, pull my brains damn out, unplug myself
I want nothing right now, I want to pull it out

- Henry Rollins, "Disconnect", from the album "Weight"

@ SLCPUNK

You. Are. Way. Cool.? ?ok

Seriously, you hit the hammer on the nail with everything you said. Couldn't agree more with the "real trip" part. But I would not call it a trip, it's more of a "way out".
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: