Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:21:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227779 Posts in 43246 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Do Americans Hate Themselves?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do Americans Hate Themselves?  (Read 19924 times)
SLCPUNK
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2005, 12:04:28 AM »

You're as predictable as they come.

You are just mad because I showed your ass on another thread....as usual.

While I'm not even sure what you're talking about in regards to Ron Silver, exactly what "right wing political agenda" did Mel Gibson have?  Since Gibson is against the war in Iraq (like yourself), I have to assume you must be talking about something else.  Is it The Passion of the Christ?  By all means clarify...

Read the paper.

While I am the last person to believe the U.S. should base it's policy on what the rest of the world thinks, I would say your assumptions that everyone outside America agrees with your point of view might be a bit of a stretch. 

Not saying all, but most are against the war. Yup. Face it, the world does not revolve around us, and the world is not supporting our imperial moves.

SLCPUNK
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2005, 12:10:57 AM »

I dont know when Gibson ever said anything political regarding our leaders or our war.

I did not say he did.

? He received more shit for that movie than anyone.

He has become the Christian right wing poster boy because of that movie.

Dont watch these shows much.? Sorry.? Instead of refuting the comments, you call us followers.

You are a non-thinker and a follower.

However I refute comments, give sources, and when I do, people tell me "they don't have time" to argue with me. Then, like the true cowards they are, change their user IDs just so they can slam me.

He never said "evil."? He is just simply pointing out the unrefuted fact that 90% of hollywood are liberal.

Source? (no right wing rags either)

You dont think that is portrayed at all in movies?

How?

I dont think we should change our laws to accomodate what other people think our laws should be.?

People outside America are uninformed about our issues? hahaha!!

How about here for starters.

Change what laws? What are you talking about?

But it doesnt suprise me, like most liberals at University campuses, that you want the Conservatives to go away so that you can have a board full of like minded people so that you are never criticized and that you can pat each other in the ass

No, it just seems that you can't take another opinion, maybe it would be easier over there?

Really, looking at your post is nothing but venom towards me. You aren't really proving anything. Except that you changed your mind about discussing these types of topics.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 12:14:29 AM by SLCPUNK » Logged
GnRNightrain
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2005, 12:53:57 AM »

No, it just seems that you can't take another opinion, maybe it would be easier over there?

Really, looking at your post is nothing but venom towards me. You aren't really proving anything. Except that you changed your mind about discussing these types of topics.

Sorry, I dont have anything against you personally.  In fact, Im sure you would be a cool guy in a face to face meeting.  I can take another opinion, that is why I like discussing this stuff on these boards.  I would have never began posting in these threads if I couldnt stand a difference of opinion.  I quit posting for a while because I got bored.  I got tired of talking about the 2000 Florida election, defending Bush against attacks that he went to war for oil, and discussing whether or not we should have went to war in Iraq.  These topics got old.  And whenever we talk about politics these are the things that always get rebrought up and rediscussed in almost every thread.  I also thought it was ridiculous that someone on this board called me a racist because I pointed out that illegal immigration causes an increase in crime.  These discussions simply becamse a waste of time and I didnt enjoy them as much as I once did.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2005, 12:59:33 AM »

Sorry, I dont have anything against you personally.  In fact, Im sure you would be a cool guy in a face to face meeting.

I am the coolest guy I know. If you are in Florida you can come swimming in my pool. Hell, I'll even let you use my towel!

I also thought it was ridiculous that someone on this board called me a racist because I pointed out that illegal immigration causes an increase in crime.

You don't think I have people say stupid shit to me? Not you, but others that agree with you, say fuckin' crazy shit to me.

Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2005, 04:11:22 AM »

Since you felt free to cut out the first part of my statement allow me to stick it back in there mmmkay?

Yes but if Germany wasn't already fighting the United States, England, and others on the western front the Nazi's would have absolutely crushed the Russian army.

But my post was a reply to that whole sentence, I just cut out the first part to make it cleaner and easier to read. Because you felt the need to say the same shit twice in a row, I thought everyone already got it.

My point is the Nazi war machine was so extensive that, despite whatever obstacles you listed above, it would have simply overwhelmed the Russians had it been a one-front war.

You're not giving many reasons as to why the things I said wouldn't've been crucial to the end result. Yes, the Wehrmacht was extensive, but you can't just say that to argue everything and anything. In the summer of '41 Germany attacked Russia, thinking they could conquer the land in three weeks. They were able to focus on the eastern front very well at that time, since there was nothing acute going on elsewhere. Yet, they failed to reach Moscow (partly because of Hitler's great idea to turn south), and as soon as the winter started, they were fucked. Not much overwhelming happening on the German side. It was a desperate situation, and would've been one even if Germany had been at peace with the US.

Of course this is all hypothetical in the end...

Yes, but it would still make good discussion - assuming both parties knew what they were talking about Wink

Just as are the chances of you actually posting without coming across as a grade-A prick.? Tongue

Back at ya, mate - I suggest you take a look in the mirror. Do you honestly think your own posts have no effect on the replies you get? Or are you just venting your spleen because I proved you wrong?

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Friedemann
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2005, 05:55:23 AM »

what exactly do you mean by your "redneck" comment? what do you think rednecks might do?

the entire sentence would have been

Maybe an American redneck mob would chase you down the street if you mentioned you're European.

before you get excited: I exaggerated this point as I am referring to these rather common outbursts of public anger that redneck Americans (note: I said "redneck" Americans, not all of them) seem to experience as soon as somebody doesn't share their point of view

some of these can be found in the Jane Fonda thread on this very board, others would be the public torching of Dixie Chicks records (come on! This was ridiculous) and the bullying of exchange students coming from countries that didn't support the war
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2005, 08:44:27 AM »

yeah I know it's a stereotype

but I think you get the point.

By the way, the carpetbaggers in the wake of the Civil War were indeed an American original, right? I guess it was them that I was like thinking about in the first place

Yes, the carpetbaggers were a true American Original...at least as far as I know...

The whole "Traveling Salesman"/"Door to door salesman" gig was, I think, if not an American invention, certainly more widely done here in the states.

In Europe, the "door to door" thing was more prominent in the service industry (chimney sweeps, etc).

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
sandman
Legend

« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2005, 10:26:37 AM »

what exactly do you mean by your "redneck" comment? what do you think rednecks might do?

the entire sentence would have been

Maybe an American redneck mob would chase you down the street if you mentioned you're European.

before you get excited: I exaggerated this point as I am referring to these rather common outbursts of public anger that redneck Americans (note: I said "redneck" Americans, not all of them) seem to experience as soon as somebody doesn't share their point of view

some of these can be found in the Jane Fonda thread on this very board, others would be the public torching of Dixie Chicks records (come on! This was ridiculous) and the bullying of exchange students coming from countries that didn't support the war

so basically, if an american has different views from yourself, they're rednecks?  Roll Eyes

it's interesting how so many liberals play right into the stereo type of an "elitist". so many of you have the attitude that  if someone has a different opinion from yourself, they're either brainwashed, a redneck, ect.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
GnRNightrain
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2005, 11:39:25 AM »

If we are rednecks for for saying it is wrong to go ober the enemies side and give them your support when your country is at war with them, so be it.

The Dixie Chicks played country music.? Their audience is conservative.? I dont know why they thought they could rip on those that buy their albums, and have no consequences from that.? If I was a rap artists and I started making fun of all of the prominent black leaders, Im sure it might have an effect on my sales.? The fact is people get turned off by artists that try to push their views on their audience.? Especially since most of the people that do it didnt even graduate high school.

However, all you look at is the fact that Americans are disagreeing with viewpoints that you find pretty convincing.  Thus, you call them rednecks to try and degrade them so that their points are not listened to.  Its no different than if I started calling people that agreed with Chirac or were against the war dirty Europeans or some other phrase. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 11:42:25 AM by GnRNightrain » Logged
Friedemann
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2005, 12:20:42 PM »

I don't really bother about these definition things, whether I'm an "elitist liberal" (I hope I'm not) or they're "rednecks" (by the way, I like Lynyrd Skynyrd a lot)

The fact is that their actions show who they are. Do you think that dancing around a bonfire of cd's is an expression of political "points of view"? The only thing that I could draw from that is that they're behaving like kindergarten children

and there's a striking coincidence to those Arabs dancing around burning flags during their demonstrations. The only difference is that the "rednecks" live in a thoroughly free and democratic country (as I said before, no doubt about that) whereas the Arabs live in a totalitarian medieval towelheadocracy

so we've kind of come full circle here --- what's the difference?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 12:22:41 PM by eMe » Logged
GnRNightrain
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2005, 05:26:10 PM »

I don't really bother about these definition things, whether I'm an "elitist liberal" (I hope I'm not) or they're "rednecks" (by the way, I like Lynyrd Skynyrd a lot)

The fact is that their actions show who they are. Do you think that dancing around a bonfire of cd's is an expression of political "points of view"? The only thing that I could draw from that is that they're behaving like kindergarten children
You seem to be rather partisan in your definition of what counts as a political point of view.  How is what they did any less of an example of using political speech.  You just agree with the view point of one and not the other.  I doubt you criticize those ant-war protesters american protesters that do much more ridiculous things.

whereas the Arabs live in a totalitarian medieval towelheadocracy
Didnt Tyrod get banned for using the same term?

Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2005, 05:38:58 PM »

I believe he called them smelly to boot.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2005, 05:41:14 PM »

Thanks for pointing that out, this guy better change his words in future posts or the same will happen.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
N.I.B
God of Thunder
VIP

Roooowwwwwwrrrrr! Rooowwwwooorrrroorr! Rwwwwaaarr!

« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2005, 05:56:54 PM »

and there's a striking coincidence to those Arabs dancing around burning flags during their demonstrations.

Bringing us back to the topic that we have here, people hate america because it's fear. If the Arab people had enough fire power to go to war with America and the world knew this openly, they wouldnt resor to terrorism.

It's not easy being furry...ever had dandruff on your crotch?
Friedemann
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2005, 06:00:57 PM »

Thanks for pointing that out

Sorry. No harm intended. It's just us rednecks talks like that.

You seem to be rather partisan in your definition of what counts as a political point of view.

well you obviously read all through my post but you seem to have missed me saying that in my personal opinion the other guys are just as ridiculous. Why don't they just write a letter to the editor? That wouldn't make them look like a bunch of fools
GnRNightrain
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2005, 08:56:16 PM »

Thanks for pointing that out

Sorry. No harm intended. It's just us rednecks talks like that.

You seem to be rather partisan in your definition of what counts as a political point of view.

well you obviously read all through my post but you seem to have missed me saying that in my personal opinion the other guys are just as ridiculous. Why don't they just write a letter to the editor? That wouldn't make them look like a bunch of fools
What if writing a letter to the editor doesnt get you noticed?  These people are protesting to get notice, and this notion of political protest is at the heart of our system.  I agree though, it might not be way to get my message out, but it is effective to a certain extent.
jgfnsr
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2005, 09:45:31 PM »

Give me a break, are you talking about the squabble whether Christians believed in reincarnatinon???

Let's quickly review here:

1. You made the blanket statement that early Christians believed in reincarnation.
2. I said that they did not.
3. Again, you simply said that they did.
4. I realized you and I were talking about two different things.? You were referring to individual Christians who, for the record, may have believed and practiced any number of things.? I was referring to Christianity itself.

I'm not exactly sure how you "showed my ass" in that debate but think whatever you want.  And that, after all, is just it isn't it?

I can picture you with a pencil and pad next to your computer, jotting a mark down everytime you believe you've "won" some debate or discussion.? I've never come across anyone on this board that seems to garner such self-satisfaction from how well they feel they've come off in an argument.

Honestly, I feel sorry for your wife.? You must be utter hell to live with.? ?Tongue

SLCPUNK
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2005, 10:06:00 PM »

Give me a break, are you talking about the squabble whether Christians believed in reincarnatinon???

Let's quickly review here:

1. You made the blanket statement that early Christians believed in reincarnation.
2. I said that they did not.
3. Again, you simply said that they did.
4. I realized you and I were talking about two different things.? You were referring to individual Christians who, for the record, may have believed and practiced any number of things.? I was referring to Christianity itself.

I'm not exactly sure how you "showed my ass" in that debate but think whatever you want.? And that, after all, is just it isn't it?

I can picture you with a pencil and pad next to your computer, jotting a mark down everytime you believe you've "won" some debate or discussion.? I've never come across anyone on this board that seems to garner such self-satisfaction from how well they feel they've come off in an argument.

Honestly, I feel sorry for your wife.? You must be utter hell to live with.? ?Tongue

You are a couple beers short of a six pack. You cling to what you wished happend, instead of what was written. It's all there in black and white.

Go re-read the post.

If you can't see it, that's ok, everybody else here can.

They also see you are a true nut-job.

Remind me of Tyrod.....

« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 10:11:36 PM by SLCPUNK » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: