Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:08:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Airbus A380 Makes Historic Maiden Flight
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Airbus A380 Makes Historic Maiden Flight  (Read 4196 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« on: April 27, 2005, 08:19:34 AM »

By LAURENCE FROST, AP Business Writer

BLAGNAC, France - The world's largest passenger plane, the Airbus A380, successfully took off on its maiden flight Wednesday, a milestone for aviation and for the European aircraft-maker's battle with American rival Boeing Co.

The giant plane's four engines hauled its double-decked, 308-ton fuselage aloft at 10:29 a.m., an achievement watched by thousands of spectators 101 years after the Wright brothers' first flight.

The plane was carrying a crew of six and 22 tons of on-board test instruments. Its first flight was expected to last about four hours.

"The takeoff went perfectly," Alain Garcia, an Airbus engineering executive, said on LCI television.

The plane was likely to stay within 100 miles of the airport in Blagnac, a suburb of Toulouse in southwest France. It was beaming back real-time measurements to Airbus headquarters at Blagnac.

There were cheers and applause as the white jet with a blue tail ? its engines surprisingly quiet ? picked up speed down the runway and lifted smoothly into the blue skies. Fire trucks were stationed alongside the runway as a precaution.

Airbus chief test pilot Jacques Rosay, flight captain Claude Lelaie and four crew members ? who all wore orange flight suits ? were taking no chances. Airbus had said they would be wearing parachutes during the first flight, in accordance with company policy. A handrail leads from the cockpit to an escape door that can be jettisoned if the pilots lose control of the plane.

The flight capped 11 years of preparation and $13 billion in spending. Spectators camped out by the airport to be there for what some said was Europe's biggest aviation event since the first flight of the supersonic Concorde in 1969.

The A380, with a catalogue price of $282 million, represents a huge bet by Airbus that international airlines will need bigger aircraft to transport passengers between ever-busier hub airports.

But some analysts say signs of a boom in the market for smaller wide-body planes, such as Boeing's long-range 787 "Dreamliner," show that Airbus was wrong to focus so much time and money on its superjumbo.

The president of Boeing's French subsidiary, Yves Galland, said he watched the televised takeoff and "shared the emotion of the people of Airbus."

But, speaking on LCI television, he also reiterated Boeing's argument that Airbus has overestimated the market for jumbo jets, which he called "quite weak."

"We don't have the same analysis of the market as Airbus," he said.

Just this week, Air Canada said it had firm orders for 32 new Boeing jets, including 14 787s, with a list value of about $6 billion, and Air India announced plans to order 50 Boeing jets worth $6.8 billion. Air India wants 27 of the 787s, which will carry up to 257 passengers and have a list price of $120 million, boosting total orders and commitments for the plane to 237. The 787, which was launched a year ago, is scheduled to enter service in 2008.

So far, Airbus has booked 154 orders for the A380, which it says will carry passengers 5 percent farther than Boeing's longest-range 747 jumbo at a per-passenger cost up to one-fifth below its rival's.

But Airbus has yet to prove that it can turn a profit on its superjumbo investment, a third of which came from came from European governments.

Airbus, a unit of European Aeronautic Defence and Space Co., is also planning to bring its own mid-sized jetliner, the A350, into service in 2010 ? two years after the Boeing 787.

Aviation experts say risks were very slim on the A380 maiden test flight since a plane's aerodynamic characteristics are already well known before it takes off, thanks to years of computer modeling and wind-tunnel tests.

Problems are more likely, but still very rare, later in the test-flight program, when the pilots deliberately take the plane to its limits. An Airbus A330 prototype crashed here in July 1994, killing chief test pilot Nick Warner and six others as they conducted a simulated engine failure exercise.

The test-flight program is likely to finish before the A380 enters service for Singapore Airlines in mid-2006, Airbus said ? about three months behind the previous schedule.

Part of the delay is down to the superjumbo's struggle with a weight problem that consumed months of engineering time and most of the program's $1.88 billion in cost overruns. Competitive pressure on airlines to offer plusher business-class seating tightened the squeeze ? compounded by the A380's sheer scale.

That plane looks cool!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 11:22:11 AM »

yeah? Cool
Airbus is better than Boeing now? Grin
You see, when the Europeans work together we make a great job. This A380 is not bad for the "old Europe" (Donald (duck) Rumsfeld). lol.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 11:24:45 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 11:24:13 AM »

Airbus is better than Boeing? Grin

Stop being so anti-American.  Tongue

hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 11:27:50 AM »

Airbus is better than Boeing? Grin

Stop being so anti-American.? Tongue

hihi

/jarmo
Grin It's great because 1 month ago I made a little study with a friend on the A380 (we studied the logistic process of Airbus). We (Europeans) did a great job with Airbus.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
McGann
Haiku writing motherfucker
VIP

My hat is HEAVY-DUTY tinfoil

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 11:50:49 AM »

Woo-hoo!  Giant metal phallic symbol busts through the proverbial maidenhead!!!

Bet those wings hurt upon entry.... Roll Eyes

Yeah, that was so dumb I had to roll eyes at MYSELF.

/Mike

"When fascism came to America, it was called 'Political Correctness' and waved a culturally relative flag."
-Mike McGann
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 11:57:34 AM »

Woo-hoo!? Giant metal phallic symbol busts through the proverbial maidenhead!!!

Oh, I thought it was a just a big new airplane that's been built in Europe.....

/jarmo

McGann
Haiku writing motherfucker
VIP

My hat is HEAVY-DUTY tinfoil

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 11:59:20 AM »

Oops...sorry!  Read the article wrong... Grin

/Mike

"When fascism came to America, it was called 'Political Correctness' and waved a culturally relative flag."
-Mike McGann
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 12:01:02 PM »

Now thats a plane!

We need new planes. You know you are on an old plane when they still have ashtrays on the armrest!

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 12:22:30 PM »

Yes, that plane does look cool
Does it have two levels on it?

smoking Izzy? smoking

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 01:01:51 PM »

I think it does from looking at the pic. There are 2 rows of windows.

Here`s an idea. WHat about designing a plane of that size like a cruise ship. A very long flight wit all those activities would be not only bearable, but very cool. Not sure if that would be cost effective for an airline though.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Friedemann
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 06:33:44 PM »

You know you are on an old plane when they still have ashtrays on the armrest!

lmao
usedname
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2005, 05:04:27 PM »

I did not read the whole article but that is really cool.  Have not had time to watch the news much in the last few days?  A380?  Meaning what I wonder?  380 degrees-  turn around!

Jarmo any news on this Coyotee/Izzy? show this past fri.  I was at the show...Could only stay for abit?  There was no band playing before I HAD to go at 10:15...Someone told me AC/DC was gonna play?Huh

Yes I was there.  Thay had cameras out shooting a video or commercial or somrthing?  It was pretty intense.  Even scary to say the least.  JUst got back this afternoon.  So was it really Izzy playing?  Any other spectators that were there on HTGTH...Gone to Hell?  It felt like it!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: