Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:28:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227804 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  In defense of "The Spaghetti Incident?"
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: In defense of "The Spaghetti Incident?"  (Read 33749 times)
//JK75
VIP

It's been a long time for me

« on: May 04, 2005, 08:21:28 PM »

I have read some posts recently and saw too many people don't like TSI, but I think the album was made to play tribute to old punk bands and that makes the album a collectors issue that requires you like the punk rock old sound... Like the band says in the booklet, you must hear the originals...

I understand that punk is a style that only a few people like, but you can't judge TSI as a bad album like some people do, because if you listen to the originals (and I have done it) the GNR versions are amazing... I like the old punk rock and I love some of the original versions and the music of some of that bands and I really love The Spaguetti Incident !!

Someone agree ?

Pd: in the same way... I love the "Neurotic Outsiders" album with Duff and Matt.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 08:24:06 PM by jk75 » Logged

//JK
hyperionmax2003
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 08:27:12 PM »

The album was okay, but the fans wanted something new and refreshing after UYI, not a bunch of punk covers.  (I think Atttiude was the best btw)
blasphemer
Banned
Rocker

Are You A Dead MonkeY?

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 08:29:19 PM »

yep you are right. I think alot of people take this as a serious album. And it is not, get that thru ur thickheads. This was a album they just threw out for fun to tide over the hardcore fans until there next album came out. Which unfortunalty it never came due to reasons we all know. ?All these songs are much better than the oringinals and are great.

Kayne West qoute "George Bush dont like black people".  Kayne West is like the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Shes a gold digger says it all.  His mind, his ideas, his art, is nothing short of genius.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 08:35:14 PM »

TSI was not a bad album, but at the time it was released it just didn't fit in the musical context. Let's face it, it was a failure when it was released. It happens. That's not a drama.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 08:36:24 PM »

BANDS ARE JUDGED MOSTLYON THE LAST ALBUM THEY MAKE IF THE ALBUM ISNT A MAINSTREAM SUCCESS. the problem with TSI for me and many gnr fans is, the album was suppose to "hold me over" until the new album, and since it has been 12 years since TSI and I can find it for $5.99 in the best buy bargain bin, people take it as a failure, joke or not this was the final product GnR has offered us and it is something GnR fans will take serious

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
//JK75
VIP

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 08:50:20 PM »

The album was okay, but the fans wanted something new and refreshing after UYI, not a bunch of punk covers.? (I think Atttiude was the best btw)

They released TSI in 93... shortly after UYI world Tour ends, they recorded it during the tour and it was and album that can be said that was released for making the wait for a new album a little easier, considering that Axl was thinking in a 2 years break.. but like "blasphemer" said, the new album never come.

By that time you could say it was new and refreshing for the hardcore fans... to me it was !
When it was released I bought the album immediately and I knew it was a covers album and it rocked !

//JK
audjon
Rocker

It's a bit cold here...

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 08:55:07 PM »

What was disappointing for me, was that it wasn't a punk rock cover album at all - there were only 4 or 5 punk rock songs, the rest was glam, garage, metal and even doo wop.

Gle?i, gle?i, gle?i
Au?j?n
//JK75
VIP

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 08:57:19 PM »

TSI was not a bad album, but at the time it was released it just didn't fit in the musical context. Let's face it, it was a failure when it was released. It happens. That's not a drama.

Do you know a covers album that "fit in the musical context" of the time ? ? ?.... I think a covers album use to be "old" songs played by another artist... that can't fit in the musical context... specially a punk cover album. It is for hardcore fans and if all the hardcore fans has a copy of it, it was a success !

And I can say that if you don't have it, you're not a hardcore GNR fan. I don't think Axl was expecting TSI to be a mass success like Appetite. So that isn't a failure.

//JK
//JK75
VIP

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 09:01:37 PM »

What was disappointing for me, was that it wasn't a punk rock cover album at all - there were only 4 or 5 punk rock songs, the rest was glam, garage, metal and even doo wop.

You got a good reason... But i think it wasn't 4 or 5.
I would say that at least 10 are punk tracks... well, that's what I feel.

I love the album cause is mostly HEAVY and GNR is good whet it turns heavy.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 09:03:08 PM by jk75 » Logged

//JK
ryan_of_lax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 10:34:26 PM »

It was just the wrong thing at the wrong time.
It's ok... But the musical world had totally changed since UYI's.

How did GnR react to this change?
A half assed set of cover songs.

It's almost a disgrace that the old band went out with this CD.

It's pretty good... but definitely not something that a band should be remembered by.
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 10:51:56 PM »

I have read some posts recently and saw too many people don't like TSI, but I think the album was made to play tribute to old punk bands and that makes the album a collectors issue that requires you like the punk rock old sound... Like the band says in the booklet, you must hear the originals...

I understand that punk is a style that only a few people like, but you can't judge TSI as a bad album like some people do, because if you listen to the originals (and I have done it) the GNR versions are amazing... I like the old punk rock and I love some of the original versions and the music of some of that bands and I really love The Spaguetti Incident !!

Someone agree ?

Pd: in the same way... I love the "Neurotic Outsiders" album with Duff and Matt.

Punk is all good, but the way GNR played on this CD is far from punk - many would say they 'bastardised' the punk sound so you could argue that it's a 'punk tribute' record but not a 'punk' record..

My problem with the album is that it sounds lacklustre. Sure they all turn out but you can hear the indifference in the playing - theres not that vital passion that is GNR trademark.

The idea sounded good on paper at the time, as GNR had much ground to claim back in the cred stakes from the bloated stadium period but it equated to little more than a fizzle and another sign that GNR were headed for a break down

« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 10:53:40 PM by jimmythegent » Logged

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2005, 11:04:47 PM »

Punk is all good, but the way GNR played on this CD is far from punk - many would say they 'bastardised' the punk sound so you could argue that it's a 'punk tribute' record but not a 'punk' record..

My problem with the album is that it sounds lacklustre. Sure they all turn out but you can hear the indifference in the playing - theres not that vital passion that is GNR trademark.

The idea sounded good on paper at the time, as GNR had much ground to claim back in the cred stakes from the bloated stadium period but it equated to little more than a fizzle and another sign that GNR were headed for a break down

The Gent is on the mark.

I'm a huge fan of punk rock and this collection of tunes (Nazareth???) was an obvious reach at credibility and publicty (see Manson tune) .? And a bad one at that.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this was absolutely one of the worst moves ever done by a band at the height of their popularity.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 11:08:51 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2005, 12:57:37 AM »

I could give a shit what people think! TSI is great.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2005, 01:58:08 AM »

Someone agree ?

I agree, TSI has some great tracks, I absolutely love Raw Power, New Rose and Attitude and I think if anyone likes GN'R's versions of those 3 songs they'll love the Neurotic Outsiders album. It's just straight-up rock with a bit of a punk attitude, it has nice production too, the guitars and Matts drumming sounds just as it should - loud and in your face!

I really think that VR should play songs like Raw Power, New Rose & Attitude live, because Duff sings them really well, as well as he can sing anyway! hehe

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2005, 02:35:13 AM »

I think there are monments when GN'R shows what it was (Ain't it fun?, Black Leather, I don't care about you), but the rest is mediocre or below mediocre/crap (SIDHY, New Rose, Can't Put..., Look at your game girl). This album wouldn't be a problem for GN'R IF the new album came out in 1994. But we all know that didn't (hasn't) happened.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2005, 02:43:33 AM »

The album was okay, but the fans wanted something new and refreshing after UYI, not a bunch of punk covers.? (I think Atttiude was the best btw)

totally agree with you.Fans wanted something new,and stil want something new

I have never seen so many tree
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2005, 07:15:58 AM »

I don't think i've even listened to the album all the way through....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2005, 07:46:29 AM »

People seem to take this album way too seriously.

I don't think it ever was meant to be taken as a follow-up album to the UYI albums. It was just something they did on days off to let fans hear songs the band themselves liked.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Cocaine__tongue
Axl's lawyer wannabe
Rocker

HAPPY HAPPY

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2005, 10:08:38 AM »

People seem to take this album way too seriously.

I don't think it ever was meant to be taken as a follow-up album to the UYI albums. It was just something they did on days off to let fans hear songs the band themselves liked.

/jarmo

That's my same thought. And I also happen to like the album a lot. Ok, it's not afd, lies or uyi's, but it still has some gnr's style in it and that makes it a great record imo!!

Madrid '93
Madrid '06
Bilbao '06
San Sebastian '10
London 17
Download Madrid 18
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2005, 11:52:11 AM »

I personally think this album quality!

EEEERRRR Little boy