Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:42:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227814 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  In defense of "The Spaghetti Incident?"
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: In defense of "The Spaghetti Incident?"  (Read 33789 times)
//JK75
VIP

It's been a long time for me

« on: May 04, 2005, 08:21:28 PM »

I have read some posts recently and saw too many people don't like TSI, but I think the album was made to play tribute to old punk bands and that makes the album a collectors issue that requires you like the punk rock old sound... Like the band says in the booklet, you must hear the originals...

I understand that punk is a style that only a few people like, but you can't judge TSI as a bad album like some people do, because if you listen to the originals (and I have done it) the GNR versions are amazing... I like the old punk rock and I love some of the original versions and the music of some of that bands and I really love The Spaguetti Incident !!

Someone agree ?

Pd: in the same way... I love the "Neurotic Outsiders" album with Duff and Matt.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 08:24:06 PM by jk75 » Logged

//JK
hyperionmax2003
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 08:27:12 PM »

The album was okay, but the fans wanted something new and refreshing after UYI, not a bunch of punk covers.  (I think Atttiude was the best btw)
blasphemer
Banned
Rocker

Are You A Dead MonkeY?

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 08:29:19 PM »

yep you are right. I think alot of people take this as a serious album. And it is not, get that thru ur thickheads. This was a album they just threw out for fun to tide over the hardcore fans until there next album came out. Which unfortunalty it never came due to reasons we all know. ?All these songs are much better than the oringinals and are great.

Kayne West qoute "George Bush dont like black people".  Kayne West is like the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Shes a gold digger says it all.  His mind, his ideas, his art, is nothing short of genius.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 08:35:14 PM »

TSI was not a bad album, but at the time it was released it just didn't fit in the musical context. Let's face it, it was a failure when it was released. It happens. That's not a drama.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 08:36:24 PM »

BANDS ARE JUDGED MOSTLYON THE LAST ALBUM THEY MAKE IF THE ALBUM ISNT A MAINSTREAM SUCCESS. the problem with TSI for me and many gnr fans is, the album was suppose to "hold me over" until the new album, and since it has been 12 years since TSI and I can find it for $5.99 in the best buy bargain bin, people take it as a failure, joke or not this was the final product GnR has offered us and it is something GnR fans will take serious

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
//JK75
VIP

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 08:50:20 PM »

The album was okay, but the fans wanted something new and refreshing after UYI, not a bunch of punk covers.? (I think Atttiude was the best btw)

They released TSI in 93... shortly after UYI world Tour ends, they recorded it during the tour and it was and album that can be said that was released for making the wait for a new album a little easier, considering that Axl was thinking in a 2 years break.. but like "blasphemer" said, the new album never come.

By that time you could say it was new and refreshing for the hardcore fans... to me it was !
When it was released I bought the album immediately and I knew it was a covers album and it rocked !

//JK
audjon
Rocker

It's a bit cold here...

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 08:55:07 PM »

What was disappointing for me, was that it wasn't a punk rock cover album at all - there were only 4 or 5 punk rock songs, the rest was glam, garage, metal and even doo wop.

Gle?i, gle?i, gle?i
Au?j?n
//JK75
VIP

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 08:57:19 PM »

TSI was not a bad album, but at the time it was released it just didn't fit in the musical context. Let's face it, it was a failure when it was released. It happens. That's not a drama.

Do you know a covers album that "fit in the musical context" of the time ? ? ?.... I think a covers album use to be "old" songs played by another artist... that can't fit in the musical context... specially a punk cover album. It is for hardcore fans and if all the hardcore fans has a copy of it, it was a success !

And I can say that if you don't have it, you're not a hardcore GNR fan. I don't think Axl was expecting TSI to be a mass success like Appetite. So that isn't a failure.

//JK
//JK75
VIP

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 09:01:37 PM »

What was disappointing for me, was that it wasn't a punk rock cover album at all - there were only 4 or 5 punk rock songs, the rest was glam, garage, metal and even doo wop.

You got a good reason... But i think it wasn't 4 or 5.
I would say that at least 10 are punk tracks... well, that's what I feel.

I love the album cause is mostly HEAVY and GNR is good whet it turns heavy.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 09:03:08 PM by jk75 » Logged

//JK
ryan_of_lax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 10:34:26 PM »

It was just the wrong thing at the wrong time.
It's ok... But the musical world had totally changed since UYI's.

How did GnR react to this change?
A half assed set of cover songs.

It's almost a disgrace that the old band went out with this CD.

It's pretty good... but definitely not something that a band should be remembered by.
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 10:51:56 PM »

I have read some posts recently and saw too many people don't like TSI, but I think the album was made to play tribute to old punk bands and that makes the album a collectors issue that requires you like the punk rock old sound... Like the band says in the booklet, you must hear the originals...

I understand that punk is a style that only a few people like, but you can't judge TSI as a bad album like some people do, because if you listen to the originals (and I have done it) the GNR versions are amazing... I like the old punk rock and I love some of the original versions and the music of some of that bands and I really love The Spaguetti Incident !!

Someone agree ?

Pd: in the same way... I love the "Neurotic Outsiders" album with Duff and Matt.

Punk is all good, but the way GNR played on this CD is far from punk - many would say they 'bastardised' the punk sound so you could argue that it's a 'punk tribute' record but not a 'punk' record..

My problem with the album is that it sounds lacklustre. Sure they all turn out but you can hear the indifference in the playing - theres not that vital passion that is GNR trademark.

The idea sounded good on paper at the time, as GNR had much ground to claim back in the cred stakes from the bloated stadium period but it equated to little more than a fizzle and another sign that GNR were headed for a break down

« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 10:53:40 PM by jimmythegent » Logged

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2005, 11:04:47 PM »

Punk is all good, but the way GNR played on this CD is far from punk - many would say they 'bastardised' the punk sound so you could argue that it's a 'punk tribute' record but not a 'punk' record..

My problem with the album is that it sounds lacklustre. Sure they all turn out but you can hear the indifference in the playing - theres not that vital passion that is GNR trademark.

The idea sounded good on paper at the time, as GNR had much ground to claim back in the cred stakes from the bloated stadium period but it equated to little more than a fizzle and another sign that GNR were headed for a break down

The Gent is on the mark.

I'm a huge fan of punk rock and this collection of tunes (Nazareth???) was an obvious reach at credibility and publicty (see Manson tune) .? And a bad one at that.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this was absolutely one of the worst moves ever done by a band at the height of their popularity.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 11:08:51 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2005, 12:57:37 AM »

I could give a shit what people think! TSI is great.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2005, 01:58:08 AM »

Someone agree ?

I agree, TSI has some great tracks, I absolutely love Raw Power, New Rose and Attitude and I think if anyone likes GN'R's versions of those 3 songs they'll love the Neurotic Outsiders album. It's just straight-up rock with a bit of a punk attitude, it has nice production too, the guitars and Matts drumming sounds just as it should - loud and in your face!

I really think that VR should play songs like Raw Power, New Rose & Attitude live, because Duff sings them really well, as well as he can sing anyway! hehe

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2005, 02:35:13 AM »

I think there are monments when GN'R shows what it was (Ain't it fun?, Black Leather, I don't care about you), but the rest is mediocre or below mediocre/crap (SIDHY, New Rose, Can't Put..., Look at your game girl). This album wouldn't be a problem for GN'R IF the new album came out in 1994. But we all know that didn't (hasn't) happened.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2005, 02:43:33 AM »

The album was okay, but the fans wanted something new and refreshing after UYI, not a bunch of punk covers.? (I think Atttiude was the best btw)

totally agree with you.Fans wanted something new,and stil want something new

I have never seen so many tree
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2005, 07:15:58 AM »

I don't think i've even listened to the album all the way through....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2005, 07:46:29 AM »

People seem to take this album way too seriously.

I don't think it ever was meant to be taken as a follow-up album to the UYI albums. It was just something they did on days off to let fans hear songs the band themselves liked.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Cocaine__tongue
Axl's lawyer wannabe
Rocker

HAPPY HAPPY

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2005, 10:08:38 AM »

I don't think it ever was meant to be taken as a follow-up album to the UYI albums. It was just something they did on days off to let fans hear songs the band themselves liked.

/jarmo

That's my same thought. And I also happen to like the album a lot. Ok, it's not afd, lies or uyi's, but it still has some gnr's style in it and that makes it a great record imo!!

Madrid '93
Madrid '06
Bilbao '06
San Sebastian '10
London 17
Download Madrid 18
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2005, 11:52:11 AM »

I personally think this album quality!

EEEERRRR Little boy
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2005, 01:22:38 PM »

well i didnt like it as a, when i thought, a new album. But once i learnt it was just a covers album they released while they were starting to do new stuff i didnt mind then. But obviously the band fell apart after that so there never was a new album with the proper 2 in the band.

html sucks
usurper
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2005, 01:31:47 PM »

I think TSI? is boring and unimaginative, rather than have some covers by well known bands like Led Zep or Deep Purpleor even Aerosmith they went an did a crappy covers album by bands most people have not heard of, oh yeah, what a great sendoff to your fans, a craptastic album that people can buy for ?4......... or $5

I've listened to it fully about 3 times, I promised myself never again
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2005, 04:28:50 PM »

rather than have some covers by well known bands like Led Zep or Deep Purpleor even Aerosmith they went an did a crappy covers album by bands most people have not heard of,

Uh, I think that was the point. Opening up a new generation to a bunch of obscure bands that maybe deserved a little more recognition. Covering songs everybody knows could be fun, but pretty useless.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
Twisted Nerve 85
Rocker

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2005, 06:04:00 PM »

I didnt like it at first but I think its cool, Its js tragic that it was THAT album that marked the end of the Original band. I mean yeah they did the Sympathy For the Devil cover, but that was js one song.

I think it would be great if Axl put out a a box set, like Nirvana did. I mean why not, some b-sides, some demos and some unreleased shit from the Original band.  peace

Life's a bitch.......anyone who says different is selling something.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2005, 06:19:02 PM »

Spaghetti's good but its tragic that this album is the last album GNR did. I sometimes wonder what the band would have done differently had they known it was gonna be their last album. Had most of this album not been recorded during the Illusions sessions, It would have never came out. GNR didn't even care about the album when it was released. One crappy video, zero promotion. We were lucky it was even released.

erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2005, 06:27:07 PM »

I think TSI is fucking brilliant! It got me turned on to punk music and i can't say i regret that, it also filled alot of gaps in the gn'r world, there's defenetly no nazi who composed that shit! ok

I'd rather have tsi than live era, both snake pits, nevrotic, zen whatever, maybe not juju, but you get the drift! Its simply the third best album from hollywood, with ju ju on a strong fourth... imo beer

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
wadey
Legend

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2005, 06:29:39 PM »

you cant beat driving the motorway with raw power and new rose belting out on full volume  Smiley

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2005, 09:39:06 PM »

you cant beat driving the motorway with raw power and new rose belting out on full volume? Smiley

Hell yeah!

Now here's someone who gets the whole point of TSI - a fun covers album!
Raw Power and New Rose rock! ok

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2005, 10:54:14 PM »

Someone agree ?

I love TSI. it is truly a great album. If you listen to the originals and then what GNR did, GNR's version is superior, hands down. Black leather, Human being, Ain't it fun, Down on the farm, etc. It just does not get any better.
audjon
Rocker

It's a bit cold here...

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2005, 07:28:37 AM »

/jarmo

True, but I think people tend to take it too seriously because it was a LP. If they would have released a punk EP (6-8 tracks) and the rest as b-sides (or even as a separate EP), I tend to believe people would judge it differently.

Gle?i, gle?i, gle?i
Au?j?n
audjon
Rocker

It's a bit cold here...

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2005, 07:28:54 AM »

the rest was glam, garage, metal and even doo wop.

would u like to type some examples? just curious....? Cheesy

Sure,
Skyliners were a doo wop band
New York Dolls were a glam rock band
The stooges were a garage rock band
T-rex was a glam rock/boogie band
Nazareth was a heavy metal/hard rock band
Johnny Thunders was a garage rocker
Charles Manson was a folk rocker and a psycho ?Wink ?
... and even though the dead boys were a punk band, 'ain't it fun' isn't a punk song (a punk ballad perhaps ok)

Therefore we got 5 punk covers on TSI?

Don't misunderstand me, I don't see anything wrong with having the Stooges or NY dolls on a punk CD, as they were obviously vital in the development of punk rock (and can be labelled as pre-punk or proto-punk) - it's just that when you expect something and get another, it sets you up for a disappointment.

Gle?i, gle?i, gle?i
Au?j?n
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2005, 12:34:59 PM »

Hate TSI

I find it to be sometimes lame, and other times gay. Sometimes its even lame and gay at the same time.

Its as offensive to me as Godfather 3. Its an embarrassment (much like the Tokyo DVDs that were released). Just fucking sad.

...and did I mention how lame and gay it is.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
madagas
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2005, 12:41:14 PM »

I sent it packing to the used cd bin years ago. However, I still really enjoy listening to Black Leather-just rockin'-great Axl vocal as well. The Down on the Farm at Farm Aid-with a real rhythm guitar player in Izzy and a very gritty straight forward Axl vocal-just absolutely 100% blows away the ham hock version on TSI. hihi
wadey
Legend

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2005, 01:29:50 PM »

Hate TSI

I find it to be sometimes lame, and other times gay. Sometimes its even lame and gay at the same time.

Its as offensive to me as Godfather 3. Its an embarrassment (much like the Tokyo DVDs that were released). Just fucking sad.

...and did I mention how lame and gay it is.

Eveyones entitled to an opinion............... im not taking yours too seriously  rofl rofl

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
hyperionmax2003
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2005, 02:50:58 PM »

What's wrong with the Toky DVD's?
wadey
Legend

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2005, 03:48:36 PM »

Its an embarrassment (much like the Tokyo DVDs that were released). Just fucking sad.

the only thing wrong with the tokyo dvd is the cardboard crowd...the gig is excellent but the japs are like cardboard cut outs
 rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2005, 04:06:01 PM »

album was kool. but original gn'r way beta. but stil gr8 stuf

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2005, 05:15:49 PM »

I only listened to Look At Your Game Girl by Manson, which i like. It has a mello 60's vibe and Axl's vocals are cool. Never Learn Not To Love by the Beach Boys is another song written by Charles Manson if anyone wants to check it out. They changed the opening verse from Cease to exist to Cease to resist, which angered Manson and he put a gun to Dennis Wilsons head.
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2005, 05:23:02 PM »

I've always enjoyed TSI.? Granted I would of perfered another album of the originals, But TSI caught a some of the raw emotion that I felt was missing from the Illusion albums.? Songs like "I don't Care About You" and "Ain't It Fun" were badass.? Not only that, I felt GNR are the only band that could cover the Misfits properly.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 05:42:20 PM by Thorazine Shuffle » Logged

plasmabeam
Rocker

"There livin' fast and they'll die young!"

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2005, 10:39:10 PM »

TSI is a good album, but it's just not GN'R quality. i enjoy it for the most part, but i cn see why people hate it.

I've worked too hard for my illusions
Just to throw them all away
joeyramone
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2005, 11:20:12 PM »

it sucks that it was their last album w/ slash, duff etc but if they didnt release it, then GnR would only have 4 (technically 3 if you see UYI's as one album release) records which isnt alot for a band of that caliber
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 11:21:50 PM by joeyramone » Logged
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2005, 01:11:08 AM »

All these songs are much better than the oringinals and are great.

Christ!
Jesus Tap Dancing Christ
Shame On You

Just download Attitude by the Misfits

TSI is ok but you can Wipe my Balls With a Warm Wet Rag with comments like that

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
Dust N Rose
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2005, 08:19:34 AM »

I don't know what's exactly going on with that record.
I remember my cousin saying he bought it when it came out while he thought it would be like Illussions and it was miserable.
Perhaps, I wouldn't say it was a good album if I wasn't a gn'r fan. So TSI goes more to the gn'r fans more than the occasional listeners.
While it seems to be a little mediocre, I enjoy listening almost every track. I like "You can't put your arms around a memory" more than "Since I don't have you". I like duff singing every song. "Ain't it fun" has an extreme tune (in the beggining at least). "Down on the farm" is one of the most rocker songs I ever heard. Every song has its beauty and its defect.
Other problem with this album is the opening stuff with the drums in every song, the one-two-three stuff at every intro of a song; it's a little annoying (except in "Human Being" with Axl screaming ok). Another problem are the songs order. They should do a better order to the songs. e.g. Down on the Farm is a cool song but noone was used to hear Axl singing that way.
All in all, I think TSI is a bunch of some moderato but still cool songs.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2005, 09:42:09 AM »

I haven't listened to TSI in 10 years, but today I'm dusting it off and gonna give it a spin. I hated this damn album when it was released, well hated is a bit strong but I only liked "Hair of the Dog" and "Down on the Farm" (When everything smells like horse shit!! Down here on the Farm" rofl funny as hell). I'm gonna try to be objective and I'll post my opinions.

HK-47
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2005, 12:22:13 PM »

I didn't like TSI. I can stomach a handful of the songs, but most of it just grates. I haven't listened to it in years - in fact, I have no idea whether I still have the cd. It is, for me, a completely disposable chapter in GNR's history.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2005, 01:59:47 PM »

Well....

I finished listening to it.....

Ya know what?

I just doesn't work for me. I don't know.

"Down on the Farm" is still pretty wicked. (the fake accent and the Horse Shit part are awesome!!! ok )
"Hair of the Dog" is ok (the orig is better)
"Since I don't Have You" is alright I guess. (It's as fucking weird now as when it came out)
I really enjoyed "Ain't it Fun"

The rest, blah.  Never been a fan of Duff's vocals. "Look At Your Game girl" is boring even with the controversy. (I fuckin' hate hidden tracks too, btw, I remember feeling, in '93, as though they copied the idea from Nirvana's Nevermind)

And on top of everything, I've never been a fan of Punk Music, so I'm not surprised by my opinion of TSI. A band with so much talent could've done so much better. I know... I know... it was recorded in spurts during the UYI tour and was supposed to hold us over til the new album but...  rant how the fuck is that peice of crap supposed to hold me over for a week, let alone 12 fuckin' years!!!!  rant

In short, I thought TSI was crap in 1993, and I still think it's crap in 2005.

usurper
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2005, 11:03:57 AM »

I think it would have been better if they never released it.
discobiscuit1
Rocker

hitler bad , axl erm jury still out

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2005, 12:36:52 PM »

It was an awesome idea...but bad execution.

Imagine a whole album similar to GNR Lies A side.

Just 12 punk songs recorded really raw in front of a crowd. Do a mini tour, 10 dates, in a club atmosphere, pick the best recordings....release it with very few touchups.

' do not make an unatural connection with the beasts of the field'     sage advice from the bible kiddies
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2005, 01:39:25 PM »

I don't see it as an awesome idea.  but it's OK.

Possibly an album of all covers is a sign that the band has exhausted the creative power.
Sorta like the stage of ennui in band life?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 01:41:26 PM by ppbebe » Logged
SLCPUNK
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2005, 01:47:52 PM »

It took having no new GnR to take a serious listen to this album. I also find that there is so little new music that is any good I tend to go back through albums I never really listened to and give them more of a try. This is one example of that.

I learned to like this album for what it was. Still my least favorite GnR album, but I don't think it sucks like some people do. I like "Black Leather" the best.
Fudgin_Hell
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2005, 09:46:12 AM »

TSI is cool it's jus a tragedy that nothin has come out since then crying

where i live it is mocked heavily

If we are frustrated at waiting for Chinesse Democracy, imagine how the Chinesse feel...
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2005, 10:39:12 AM »

i think it would have done and still would do lot better, if gnr would`ve just released it as "the punk ep" and put the seven best songs on it. it`s a real problem i think that it`s considerd a real album, because otherwise it would be seen as what it really is: a fun project.

but in reallity TSI is compared to the other gnr albums (by the public, not by the fanbase) and you know, in comparison it just sucks.

@ joeyramone  i think it wouldn`t be bad if gnr would only have 2 albums (lies is imo no real album), because what they accomplished with those 2 albums is what other bands did with 15 albums.

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2005, 08:16:27 PM »

I take this album entirely for what it was meant to be..a cover cd. I personally love the majority of tracks on it, or especially Hair of the Dog, New Rose, Down on the Farm, Black Leather, and Aint it Fun. I think that had an album of new material been released as it was originally intended to be right after TSI, the album definately wouldnt get the negativity it does. A sub-par cover album as the last effort by one of the greatest RnR bands of all time isnt really a treasured album for me at least..

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2005, 03:58:39 AM »

I think its a quality listen.  People have to keep in mind it is a cover album.  I know we'd rather the last release from the band not be a cover album, but at the time Axl probably didn't figure it would be the last full length album GN'R would release.  They did have plans for a new album, things obviously didn't work out.  It was just something to tide fans over until the next full length original release...just like GN'R Lies was.  The covers themselves are good.  In fact I've heard most of the originals, and I like pretty much all of the GN'R versions better. 

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2005, 07:05:19 PM »

I havent been able to listen to all the TSI songs, but  I have listened to DOWN ON THE FARM (LIVE) and damn... it really kicks ass.... its an excellent version when original members were still together... even with Steven adler...

I wonder if you know what other TSI song, GNR has played LIVE?
thanks dudes
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2005, 02:16:20 AM »

They play Attitude on the Tokyo DVD with Duff on vocals.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2005, 03:28:03 PM »

Although I'm glad TSI was released, there really isn't a good reason for it to have come out. Zero promotion. Picture of Axl's shoes. Duff doing vocals on half the album. The band just didnt care. And its no surprise that most of the fans didnt care either.

jabba2
VIP

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2005, 08:28:16 PM »

The covers themselves are good.? In fact I've heard most of the originals, and I like pretty much all of the GN'R versions better.?

This is the 4th time someone mentioned this, but i dont think its fair for the original bands who actually wrote and played the songs, to say the GNR versions were better. If thats all that matters to get credibility, Motley Crue would cover all of Metallica's songs and U2 cover all of Pink Floyds songs and claim their versions are better. Its kind of ridiculous to claim TSI because of that reason.
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2005, 04:08:50 AM »

I hear ya with that.  I'm not trying to say that they should get credit for the songs or whatever.  I'm just saying I prefer to listen to the GN'R versions of the songs.  But the bands that wrote the songs should be credited, they're their songs.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: