Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 06:54:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227981 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Heavy-Metal: yes or no?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heavy-Metal: yes or no?  (Read 34241 times)
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2005, 11:12:35 PM »

http://www.metal-rules.com/hell/hell_july_august2002.htm

Ignore the cultural argument about false rebellion and all that. Just read the musical argument against mallcore in the first part (JP is the one who knows what he's talking about). For the glam fans out here, this article is also good for trying to convince the tr00 kvlt extreme metal fanatics that glam metal is just as metal as their stuff. Kind of a hopeless fight, though.
psycotron
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2005, 06:44:46 AM »

thats a weird question because there is like 2000 different sub genres of metal. GnR are metal dude, theyre a cross between hair metal, punk and hard rock i think. i listen to metal because the musicians have a lot more talent than most every other genre except maybe classical. the guitar riffs, drums and vocals are awesome and the songs arent just about love theyre about other stuff aswell.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2005, 10:35:30 AM »

Yes and no. The GN'R type is yes. The Rage, Megadeth kind no.

Fuck 'Em All.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2005, 10:48:09 AM »

walk - i agree with alot of your points. i would add obituary to the list of death metal bands - they are my fav in that category. can't wait to see them live. and deicide is another i would add. (i'm actually going to see them this sunday at the troc in philly.)

what do you think of hardcore bands....do you consider them metal? specifically, what do you think of lamb of god and hatebreed?

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2005, 10:52:12 AM »

I am the Man may have been a joke but Anthrax's subsequent tour with Public Enemy was not.  Anthrax is the Father of Rap Metal.  So blame them for Limp Bizkit....
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2005, 11:03:10 AM »

I love that song and their collaboration with Public Enemy but didnt the Aerosmith/Run DMC version of Walk This Way come out before I Am The Man?

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
gilld1
Banned
VIP

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2005, 11:26:12 AM »

Yeah, I think you're right.  But Run/Aerosmith couldn't have been out much before Anthrax, couple of years maybe? 
Kujo
Legend

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2005, 11:46:56 AM »

Walk This Way     1986
I Am The Man       1987

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2005, 11:57:29 AM »

Is aerosmith metal?
Kujo
Legend

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2005, 12:03:54 PM »

I brought up that point in another subject a month or so ago and was told to not be so frigging specific about definitions, thats why I used them as a reference.

However no, I dont consider them "Metal". They are more "Death Country"ish.  Wink

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2005, 12:45:41 PM »

Heavy Metal is a genre that is common mostly for rapid solos and armonic guitar, Bands like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest are the best example, those bands are legend to the genre, anyway was good of listening these bands, unless you dont like the loud guitars, the quickerness of their solos and sometimes the progresive way to make a song I would said that is not recomendable for you to listen these kinda bands, they will make you bored to tears  hihi, or they will simply make you start a thread like this  ok

No man can be my equal
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2005, 12:53:45 PM »

Thanks  kujo for clarifying that. Much to my relief.  Cheesy

So Nes, what bands are very metal for you?
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2005, 02:29:20 PM »

why do people all judge metal upon lame bands like slipknot and system of a down. System of a downs singer is so annoying, he sounds like a jewish rabbi, and that new song is terrible "everyone go to the party blah blah blah". I am not even gonna coment on slipknot. A bunch of idiots who tryed to do metal but failed badly.

Real metal, Skid Row, the majority of ozzy's stuff, i think sabbath sound quite metal also, black label society, obviously metallica. Those are just a few of the bands i like, to be honest i need to range my musical tastes more since i dont have much real metal and i know i should give it a try. What puts me off is when i hear either a very high pitched singer or a grunting pig basically.

html sucks
Dot
Cute and sweet
Banned
Legend

please come back (to the band of hacks)

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2005, 10:41:50 AM »

I think that there?s a lot fo confusion on what is Metal and what is not...Metal to me is something heavy,fast and in your face(Metallica,Slayer,Anthrax,Megadeth,Black Sabbath,Maiden,the list goes on). I can?t see Bon Jovi under the "Metal" label.

Anyway, what I like about metal, understanding metal the way I see it, is the energy and what it wants to say through some of its lyrics. Also, there?s something so amazingly cool, cooler than lots of things, about hearing fast and loud riffs.

Rock N? Roll is the answer!!!
gilld1
Banned
VIP

« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2005, 07:54:53 PM »

I think that it all comes down to the perspective of the listener.  For those who listen to pop, Madonna, B Spears, and the like, a band like Bon Jovi or , I'm laughing as I type this, Def Leppard might be metal to them.  While I have a different view since I grew up listening to bands like Anthrax, Metallica, Slayer, Exodus, Testament, et al.  So I guess one man's metal may be another man's ultimate shit band or vice versa.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2005, 08:34:31 PM »

I hate about 95% of all metal.
and I don't consider GN'R a metal band...cos they're not! ok

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2005, 12:06:43 AM »

The perspective of the listener isn't important. No matter how you look at it, Burzum is black metal and Exodus is thrash metal. People who think otherwise have a bad ear for music and the wrong perspective. As for Def Leppard, their first album, On Through The Night, is NWOBHM, so they were a metal band very early on. After that, they became a hard rock band. Bon Jovi is definitely not a metal band, just a simple pop band. Skid Row, however, is excellent metal. Wink

Also, if you hate 95% of all metal, you must have heard hundreds of bad bands, since all of the bands I recommended are great. Smiley
journey
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2005, 02:21:33 AM »

I loved Metallica when I was a teenager. But to be honest I haven't really listened to a lot of metal bands other than Metallica and Megadeth. Those two bands are great, in my opinion. The only problem I have with metal, however, is that it seems to lack emotional range. The overall attitude is negative; dark, depressed, and angry. People aren't one dimensional.
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2005, 03:37:59 AM »

anyone who thinks all metal/thrash/death etc, is all noise n' no harmony n' rythm....cant really hear music that well!!!

I feel heavy metal just as much as a ballad. I say Cradle of Filth,  some say pointless crape thats just noise, i say they have more feel n' emotion then most shit out there. Yeah, it is a matter of taste n' all but if you really appreciate music, you'll give it the time or repect and atleast really hear it!!

Of course a majority of metal is just straight up in your face metal.....the real deal Cool

here's my short list of all genres of metal-

MetallicA
Deicide
Cannible Corpse
Satericon
Megadeth
Segresson (oz)
Decmember
Cradle of Filth
Slayer
PanterA
Dark Funeral
Anthrax
Sepultura (execpt Roots, terrible shit)

heaps!!

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
psycotron
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2005, 04:27:23 AM »

i like every kind of metal except for hardcore, nu metal (although i dont mind it every now and then), im not too keen on industrial. thrash and hair are my favourite ok
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: