Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 04:04:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227830 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  The Martial Arts Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Martial Arts Thread  (Read 16873 times)
keroberos
Got Marmite?
Headliner

I might be a little young but, honey i ain't no COCK!

« on: November 18, 2002, 10:16:18 AM »

I've noticed that neither the old message board or this one has a thread for karate or anything like that, so im gonna start one!!!

I've been doing it for 4 years and counting now so i know my stuff, but is there anyone else who is a total master (or a total loser it doesn't matter) on this board cos i think it is probably the most hardest to learn and to keep up and be dedicated to, so i'd be impressed if there is anyone!

Also please reply if you do any other martial arts kick boxing etc.

EVERY BODY IS KUNG-FU FIGHTING
 [beer]

CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
Laura
I'm not cute!!!
VIP

Swallow Choke And Die

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2002, 05:33:54 PM »

I Love martial arts... ive been doing karate since i was 6... i have my black belt with 2 dan... i did tae kwan do for 4 years and got my red belt with black stripe and i'm going for my black belt in aikido in about a month!!!!! martial arts rule!!!!

And It Breaks My Heart To Know The Only Reason You Are Here Now Is A Reminder Of What I'll Never Have...
MR.BROWNSTONE
Sir Post-a-lot
Legend

I'm a supreme Guns N' Roses fan.

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2002, 08:40:41 PM »

I don't do martial arts, but I like to say to the ones that do martial arts, I give you all the credit in the world. I love to watch Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris movies.   Smiley

12-6-02,5-12-06,5-14-06,5-15-06,5-17-06,11-5-06,11-10-06,11-13-06,11-24-06
1-28-10,10-28-11,10-29-11,11-17-11,11-20-11,11-26-11,12-30-11,12-31-11,2-12-12
2-23-12,2-24-12,2-27-12,3-12-12,11-23/24-12
keroberos
Got Marmite?
Headliner

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2002, 10:50:31 AM »

well went for my pre-grading and it went a bit pearshaped as far as i'm conserned. The fact is that i remembered everything for everyone elses syllabus, exept my own.
Sensei says ill be fine, yeah right.... [no]

CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
keroberos
Got Marmite?
Headliner

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2002, 04:36:18 PM »

YEAAAH I'M A HEADLINER!!!
this is better than a black belt!!!!

CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
Dragon
Rocker

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2003, 01:55:47 PM »

I've been training Shootfighting for 2 years but then my trainer moved to London so I started Ashihara Karate.
I only got a blue belt so it's a long way to get the black one.
Wich style of Karate do you all train?
AxlisGNR
Opening Act

bite my llama!

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2003, 02:09:20 PM »

I have studied a few arts, the longest I stuck with one was about a year of Jeet Kune Do (2001), that was my favorite, would like to start again my teacher lost his gym and I havent found another situation I liked yet.
Dragon
Rocker

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2003, 04:39:39 AM »

I have studied a few arts, the longest I stuck with one was about a year of Jeet Kune Do (2001), that was my favorite, would like to start again my teacher lost his gym and I havent found another situation I liked yet.
I've always wanted to try JKD but there is so few clubs in sweden. And no one is near where I live. Doesn't they hava that philosophy about adjust the technique for the person and not the person for the technique.

Did you get to learn grappling and submissions to?
keroberos
Got Marmite?
Headliner

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2003, 01:01:11 PM »

i train in kyokishinkai style. I'm on my way to yellow! (i grade in march, can't wait)
Its more a mix of kickboxing but my master likes to teach technique and kata. Hopefully i will be fighting for britain (knock down)soon as i get my yellow i'm gonna train even harder. I'll be the first  female from my club.

CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
AxlisGNR
Opening Act

bite my llama!

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2003, 01:12:21 PM »

I've always wanted to try JKD but there is so few clubs in sweden. And no one is near where I live. Doesn't they hava that philosophy about adjust the technique for the person and not the person for the technique.

Did you get to learn grappling and submissions to?

Yes, to all your questions and it was a great experience.
Bruce Lee wrote an excellent book if you want to learn more about it.
Dragon
Rocker

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2003, 06:18:52 AM »

i train in kyokishinkai style. I'm on my way to yellow! (i grade in march, can't wait)
Its more a mix of kickboxing but my master likes to teach technique and kata. Hopefully i will be fighting for britain (knock down)soon as i get my yellow i'm gonna train even harder. I'll be the first  female from my club.
Ashihara is based on Kyokushin, it's like  a full contact style. But instead of going head on we try to avoid being hit by moving around our opponent(like boxing). We also have some throws/takedowns that resembles aikido.

Them knock down competitions looks painful, especially for the looser.
But you won't loose, right?
I guess that you also aim to go for that 100 men fight that Kyokushin is famous for. [ok]
keroberos
Got Marmite?
Headliner

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2003, 11:18:17 AM »

100!? i could take on 1000! I'm pretty tough, but so are alotta people. I'm a little smaller than most too but i shouldn't lose too many fights....i hope not anyway!

P.S I always try to concentrate on moving from the opponent, which is obviously your best bet from a self defence point of veiw, but i think because my master has trained in lots of styles, we learn kyokoshin his way (i think he might of done Ashihara and a little aikido too)!

Grin

CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
Dragon
Rocker

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2003, 03:30:01 PM »

I saw our trainer go 50 rounds for his 2:nd dan belt.
1.5 h of fighting, it looked like a lot of pain.
He went out a little to hard so he was very tired the last 20 fights. [hihi]

I'm thinkin about entering for the next contest.
It's full contact to the body and legs, no punches to the head but controlled kicks to the head.
I hope that I'm in shape when the time comes, otherwise it might hurt since I have to fight in heavyweight. [nervous]
Lineker10
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2003, 07:25:35 PM »

All these Jeet Kune Do teachers havent a clue, Dan Inosanto is the only guy that was approved by Bruce Lee to teach JKD and so unless you train at his gym or your teacher was taught by him then your not learing JKD. Bruce Lee's philosophy was to make your own style - use varied forms/styles and moves to create a style that suited you best, thats why he studied so many forms of combat. The JKD he would instruct taught to devlop what moves worked for you best - absorb what is useful and reject what is not, because of this every single students style could be differant. It also made it hard for the opponant as they would be trained in fighting set styles and not to have to fight a flexiable mix of combat. These so called JKD teachers are following Bruce Lee's own style - this contradicts and goes against what he fundamentaly taught - which was to devlop your own style and use what is useful and works for you, not someone else.
keroberos
Got Marmite?
Headliner

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2003, 06:02:14 AM »

while we're on the subject of fighting and styles etc. has anyone entered clicker competitions before? I've come third the first time and second last time i did it, i'm a bit more experienced now so maybe i'll come first out of second blue belts! Yay! Got the dates for my grading March 28th, cant wait, cos once i have my yellow belt i can enter knockdown competitions! (serious ones anyway)

CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
Dragon
Rocker

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2003, 09:02:31 AM »

What's a clicker competition? We had an Ashihara Open competition a couple of weeks ago. But I was sick and couldn't participate, that would have been my first. Guess I'll have to wait for the next one.

I've tried some nunchakus, but I only brused myself.
I guess you need some training before you can use them.
I've seen foamed nunchakus for beginners, that would be something for me.
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2003, 11:55:10 AM »

I'm a Black Belt in Judo but i haven't trained in the past few months since i got my band together
dashingshlump
Dr. Dolittle
Rocker

i'm ready !!!

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2003, 09:12:11 AM »

i did around three years worth of karate when i was younger and reached my purple belt but i had to give that up which was annoying.
anyways i've just started taking kickboxing lessons, which i'm really getting into my only problem is that i've lost most of my balance and a load of flexibility.
anyrecomendations on how i could get these back fairly quickly, pleeeeeeassssssssssseee
i take my kickboxing really seriously and i practice every night i'd just like to do it more and a bit better so if you guys could help it'd be much appreciated.

shlump

the shlump has returned and he's as good looking as ever
keroberos
Got Marmite?
Headliner

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2003, 10:06:50 AM »

well, when youre older karate and kickboxing is hared to stick to because of work and college and stuff. I didnt grade because of that exact reason so i've got until june to perfect my stuff. You don't have to do anything you don't want to.
I know that when i started doing box splits and the four in one excersise for warm up, i couldnt get my hands to touch the ground but after a while you can..your muscles get used to a certain amount of stretching you can train your muscles to do a little bit furthe than that and so on, now after following that, i'm getting my box splits just three inches from the floor, but i might have to start my stretching again cos i've been out of karate for three weeks!!  
good luck, and remember you are not a salmon

CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
dashingshlump
Dr. Dolittle
Rocker

i'm ready !!!

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2003, 05:12:37 AM »

thanks, i'll give the box splits a good going over then
and dont worry i'm not a salmon

shlump

the shlump has returned and he's as good looking as ever
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print