Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:17:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Smashing Pumpkins
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smashing Pumpkins  (Read 122812 times)
pasnow
VIP

« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2006, 12:17:34 PM »

i thought this band was grunge. but i read up on them on wikipedia and they seem a totally different band to the scene...i wanna listen to them however...where do i start? confused

Siamese Dream.

Good call, yeah definitely check out Siamese Dream. "Mayonaise" is a hidden gem off that album.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2006, 05:56:34 PM »

is gish any good, my dad seems to have that one.

html sucks
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2006, 06:22:58 PM »

i thought this band was grunge. but i read up on them on wikipedia and they seem a totally different band to the scene...i wanna listen to them however...where do i start? confused

Siamese Dream.

Good call, yeah definitely check out Siamese Dream. "Mayonaise" is a hidden gem off that album.

Agreed...fantastic song.
pasnow
VIP

« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2006, 08:50:25 AM »

is gish any good, my dad seems to have that one.

Gish is good, it's their first album so it's a little more experimental, before they hit the mainstream.? If your Dad has it, can you try listening to his copy? Anyway, definitely check out SD, it's a great album worthy of being in almost everyone's collection (Great lyrics, great guitar, great drums) The album is tight, like Nevermind ok
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2006, 04:58:51 PM »

fucking wonderful yes
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2006, 05:59:17 PM »

i'm more of a Mellon Collie fan, "Tonight, Tonight" and "Zero" are some of my favorite Smashing Pumpkins songs.

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
DarkStar
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2006, 12:45:48 AM »

looks like something's up in Pumpkinland - They've got an SP-themed flag thing going on...

GnFnR87
Legend

« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2006, 12:54:12 AM »

thats awesome.

i wonder what direction they will go in for this record? the more synth heavy approach like Adore or my rock n roll/metallish like siamese dream/mellon collie?

looks like the rock scene is really looking up with the return of these rock titans, chinese democracy being released soon, Army of Anyone releasing an album and touring, etc... ok

GnFnR87
Legend

« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2006, 11:32:19 AM »

Smashing Pumpkins' Billy Corgan Unveils New Tunes During Solo Set

Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan emerged from a year out of the public eye to play a few songs at a multi-act show featuring Pete Townshend in Los Angeles last night (November 7).

The star played late in the gig at the Hotel Cafe, appearing uneasy and tuning his guitar frequently. He went on to play four as-yet-untitled new songs.

Early in the show, Corgan and his bandmate Jimmy Chamberlin, who are currently recording what will be their first album in seven years, stood by and watched performances by Townshend, E from Eels, Minnie Driver, Pete's brother Simon Townshend, and Pete Townshend's girlfriend and songwriting partner Rachel Fuller, who organised the show.

Fuller admitted she thought Corgan was "nervous" since he hadn't played live for so long.

The show was part of Fuller's 'In The Attic' series, which has featured interviews and performances by artists such as The Flaming Lips, Razorlight, The Kooks and The Zutons.

Corgan provided no news about his ongoing work with the reunited Smashing Pumpkins - or whom exactly that entails - but during the show Townshend spoke favorably about the new material he had heard.

NME

pasnow
VIP

« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2006, 12:01:25 PM »

thats awesome.

i wonder what direction they will go in for this record? the more synth heavy approach like Adore or my rock n roll/metallish like siamese dream/mellon collie?

looks like the rock scene is really looking up with the return of these rock titans, chinese democracy being released soon, Army of Anyone releasing an album and touring, etc... ok

Yeah a couple of old heavyweights stepping back in the ring.. Cool to see, I think SP will go back to more guitar rock.
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2006, 04:25:25 PM »

Siamese Dream is a great album-they were really big in the 90's, Tonight, Tonight is an excellent video-it's interesting what happened with D'arcy-does anyone know why she left? I remember rumors of drugs

libertad
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2006, 12:02:46 PM »

I can't wait for this album and tour.  I've met Billy Corgan a few times and he's a really nice guy.  He sat and talked with me for about 10 minutes once and for really no reason at all... just to talk.

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
GnFnR87
Legend

« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2006, 12:04:19 PM »

I can't wait for this album and tour.? I've met Billy Corgan a few times and he's a really nice guy.? He sat and talked with me for about 10 minutes once and for really no reason at all... just to talk.

ummmm wow. u lucky fucker!!!

i checked out Adore recently and i dont know why its so criticized i think its pretty cool.

lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2006, 12:16:07 PM »

I can't wait for this album and tour.  I've met Billy Corgan a few times and he's a really nice guy.  He sat and talked with me for about 10 minutes once and for really no reason at all... just to talk.

i checked out Adore recently and i dont know why its so criticized i think its pretty cool.

I like Adore a lot too.  It will be interesting to see what route they take on this new album.  It would be cool to just go back to straight up rock n' roll with a lot less electonics involved.  Has he talked about this album at all yet and has anyone heard of any audio that's around for that solo performance he did?

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2006, 12:36:41 PM »

I can't wait for this album and tour.? I've met Billy Corgan a few times and he's a really nice guy.? He sat and talked with me for about 10 minutes once and for really no reason at all... just to talk.

I like Adore a lot too.? It will be interesting to see what route they take on this new album.? It would be cool to just go back to straight up rock n' roll with a lot less electonics involved.? Has he talked about this album at all yet and has anyone heard of any audio that's around for that solo performance he did?
i think the will go to a more classic rock style this time.. they are using, roy thomas baker..
he is known for his epic-retro sound, and his use of analog recording

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
Psychophobia
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2006, 11:11:54 AM »

I haven't listened to the Pumpkins in quite a few years... I did end up seeing them live at Summersault 2000, when Auf Der Maur was in the band. It was unfortunately a bit of a weak performance... kind of going-through-the-motions. They seemed really unhappy up on stage, and Chaimberlin was the only real standout. I read some comments from some of the other bands on the tour that echoed those impressions of them. I think it was a bit of dark time for the band, in that Machina hadn't sold as well as was hoped, and Corgan sounded very frustrated with the music scene in his interviews. Plus, the band was due to end in a month or so. I had been a big Pumpkins fan for the three years previous to that, so it was a bit of a disappointment.

That being said, a new album could be interesting. I enjoyed hearing Corgan and Chaimberlin back together on the Jimmy Chaimberlin Complex CD.

A Perfect Circle actually performed earlier at the same concert, and they blew the Pumpkins and the rest of the headliners off the stage, IMO. Everyone I spoke to was quite impressed by them. I really enjoyed their two albums, sad to see that the group appears to have fizzled out now, but as long as Tool is still making albums, I'll be happy.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 11:14:14 AM by Psychophobia » Logged
judaskennedy
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2006, 12:43:39 PM »

summersault!  that was the best concert i think ive seen come through this crap town-

Finger 11 (before becoming a STAIND rip-off band)
Our lady peace (when they were good-  for those of you who know who they are)
A perfect circle
Foo Fighters
and Smashing pumpkins (my first time crowd surfing was during 'Bullet With Butterfly Wings" at this show)

also i remember Sum41 was the first band on the bill-  right at noon when the gates opened up-   they're managers band (treble charger) was also on the bill.

but back to the smashing pumpkins-   they're album can go either way-   i hope they do something a little more experamental instead of selling out to the radio.
GnFnR87
Legend

« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2006, 11:11:04 PM »

This band drives me nuts,

i like them but i still can't make up my mind if their one of my fave bands.

i find that there are only two kinds of Pumpkins songs, awesome ones and ones that suck. i can't find a songs that are in the middleground. I find that most of their albums are patchy like that and i have trouble sitting through most of them because some songs just bore me. its like, their good stuff i fucking love and think are amazing but i cant stand their decent to bad range of songs.

does anyone else feel this way or am i insane? should i just let them grow on me more?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 11:13:55 PM by GnFnR87 » Logged

Risico
Rocker

You will lose everything...

« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2006, 03:09:23 AM »

You're not crazy - Even as a big Pumpkins fan, they're wildly inconsistent.

Some stuff is absolutely terrific, and some material is absolutely terrible and just a mess of noise and vocals.

Still, I've managed to find several songs that register as simply "good," mainly on the Adore and Machina albums. So at least that bucks the "no middle ground" trend in my eyes.

When all is said n' done, we're not the only ones...
Slashead
Banned
VIP

« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2006, 04:53:54 AM »

Great band. I love Siamese Dream. They went big just after Nirvana's Nevermind.

I'll download it !
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: